Newbie, looking at N3 or N2X

monkeypimp

Newbie, looking at N3 or N2X
« on: 17 Mar 2010, 03:30 am »
I recently started a quest to learn more and build my own speakers and have decided I want to build either the N2X's or the N3's.  I have a few questions:

1) I am assuming that from an electronics perspective these are pretty easy to put together, am I correct?

2) Now the part that scares me the most is the enclosures.  I do  have access to many woodworking tools but not quick access so I would prefer to find enclosures that are prebuilt, I have asked ED for a quote on enclosures but I am always a fan of getting a few quotes where else can I look? Also I am interested in flat packs as well but I am nervous about doing the veneering.

3) If I go with the stock caps and resistors how hard is it to upgrade to the sonicaps and Mills later?  Is the cost to buy them later roughly the same?

4) These will be going into a small room and will have to be fairly close to the walls behind them.  I have been told that I can have these ported on the front. Is this true? How does that change the internals of the bracing and no-rez?

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Re: Newbie, looking at N3 or N2X
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2010, 04:35 am »
PM Sent!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:40 am »
I've built both the Neo2x and the AV3 (which is almost the same cabinet as the N3). The Neo2x is a piece of cake, the N3 will be take much more time.  If you have a table saw and a router, they are both do-able in a weekend.  And if you run into a snag, there is lots of folks here at AC to answer questions.

Scott

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:58 am »
 I agree with Scott. I too have built both the Neo 2X and the AV-3's. They are both fairly easy to build, but suggest that you be fairly proficient at wood working. Also, you should be fairly proficient in soldering too. Since the speakers will be used in a small room close to the back wall, the Neo 2X's or Neo 3 Sealed might be the better choice, but you would definately need a subwoofer to extend the low end. The Neo 3 TL's should work well too but would definately need to be front ported if they are going to be placed close to a rear wall.
The crossover caps and resistors could be changed out later to Sonicaps and Mills resistors, but it would be a pain to do so. Suggest going with the Sonicaps and Mills when you build. Also, suggest the No-Rez option too. They are all well worth the extra cost.
If you run into a snag, Scott is correct that there are a lot of people here on AC to help answer your questions.

Ron

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:47 pm »
I had Meniscus Audio build my flat packs and was very happy with their services meniscusaudio.com  I have not finished my project because my room is being built.

Also don't count out the PE boxes.  I think it would be hard to beat them and they have monitors that will acomodate the N3.

I almost went with the PE boxes for the N3s but in the end decided to get flat packs.  My build will happen this fall and I see if I made the right choice.

Thanks,
Robert

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:49 pm »
I agree with Scott. I too have built both the Neo 2X and the AV-3's. They are both fairly easy to build, but suggest that you be fairly proficient at wood working. Also, you should be fairly proficient in soldering too. Since the speakers will be used in a small room close to the back wall, the Neo 2X's or Neo 3 Sealed might be the better choice, but you would definately need a subwoofer to extend the low end. The Neo 3 TL's should work well too but would definately need to be front ported if they are going to be placed close to a rear wall.
The crossover caps and resistors could be changed out later to Sonicaps and Mills resistors, but it would be a pain to do so. Suggest going with the Sonicaps and Mills when you build. Also, suggest the No-Rez option too. They are all well worth the extra cost.
If you run into a snag, Scott is correct that there are a lot of people here on AC to help answer your questions.

Ron

Ron,

What did you think of the N3S compared to the other monitors you have built?

Ron

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2010, 04:23 pm »
 Robert,

I haven't built the N3S yet, but it should sound very similar to the N2X's which I have built. The bass response of the N3S and the N2X should be very similar, but the N3S is is more efficient, more dynamic, and has better power handling capability than the N2X since it uses two woofers in parallel.
Presently plan on building either a pair of N3S's or N3's sometime this spring.

Ron

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:14 pm »
Glad you made it over here monkeypimp. :D

I almost went with the PE boxes for the N3s but in the end decided to get flat packs.  My build will happen this fall and I see if I made the right choice.

I was just trying to talk him out of the PE boxes, but you are right it would make things very easy.

monkeypimp

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:12 pm »
Glad you made it over here monkeypimp. :D

I was just trying to talk him out of the PE boxes, but you are right it would make things very easy.

Glad to be here Dvenardos!!!  No one has bit me yet. :)

I have been communicating with John at diyspeakercabinets.com and the prices seem pretty good. I think I am gonna end up going with him but instead of the n3's I think I am gonna go with the N2X's as the room I am in is pretty small 12'x11'....and my placement of the speaker will have to be pretty close the wall.  So what is all of you opinion?  And if I go with the N2X's I can afford to upgrade to the sonicaps and Mills as well as either the vampire or Cardas posts(which do you guys recommend).  If I do the N3's i will have to go stock as the cabinets will be roughly 2-3 times the cost and put the upgrades out of my price range.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:42 pm »
I would keep checking around. 3x4 times more seems like a lot more!  I think the Neo3S would be great for your room.

Are you sure you are looking at the non tower version of the Neo3?

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2010, 10:24 pm »
I believe he was referring to the the front ported version of the N3 tower.

I would keep checking around. 3x4 times more seems like a lot more!  I think the Neo3S would be great for your room.

Are you sure you are looking at the non tower version of the Neo3?

Ron

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm »
Monkeypimp,

The Neo 2X would be an excellent choice for the size room that you have. I have previously built and sold four (4) pairs of the N2X's with the Sonicaps,Mills resistors, Vampire input terminals, and No-Rez sound damping performance upgrade options. Really wonderful sounding speakers, but you do need a subwoofer. Presently building another pair of Neo 2X's which will have the Platinum bypass caps and JPS Labs internal wiring in addition to the other peformance upgrade options. Hopefully they will sound even better than the ones I previously built.

Ron

monkeypimp

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:04 am »
I believe he was referring to the the front ported version of the N3 tower.

I was talking about the front ported version...I did however put N3's  and that 's may have been misinterpreted.

monkeypimp

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:08 am »
Monkeypimp,

The Neo 2X would be an excellent choice for the size room that you have. I have previously built and sold four (4) pairs of the N2X's with the Sonicaps,Mills resistors, Vampire input terminals, and No-Rez sound damping performance upgrade options. Really wonderful sounding speakers, but you do need a subwoofer. Presently building another pair of Neo 2X's which will have the Platinum bypass caps and JPS Labs internal wiring in addition to the other peformance upgrade options. Hopefully they will sound even better than the ones I previously built.

Ron

Ron,
I do have a Sub.... I have a 10" sealed sub....  I guess in the end I decided if I went with the Neo3 without the upgrades I wouldn't be as happy as the N2X's with the upgrades.  I just need to find some stands that I think look decent.  I am planning on getting the N2x boxes in Bubinga veneer.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:18 am »
No bigger than that room is, the N2X will be fine.

chip

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:18 am »
Like this ?

monkeypimp

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »

HT cOz

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »
Those should be cool.  You will have to report back on your thoughts.  I like stands from VTI vtimanufacturingdotcom you can find them for about $90.

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:15 am »
I figured that I have piped in enough and was hoping emac might drop in here, he has lots of experience with swapping out capacitors, but yeah, I would go with the upgrades.

4x4 dimensional lumber stained with plywood base and speaker platform would make nice stands for dirt cheap.

Ron,
I do have a Sub.... I have a 10" sealed sub....  I guess in the end I decided if I went with the Neo3 without the upgrades I wouldn't be as happy as the N2X's with the upgrades.  I just need to find some stands that I think look decent.  I am planning on getting the N2x boxes in Bubinga veneer.

RogerB

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:48 am »
Last summer I built a pair of N2x's with alot of help from the folks here.  John at diyspeakercabinets.com built my enclosures and they are beautiful.  The Ninja built my crossovers.  I just put it all together. 

I have a HSU stf-2 sub with my N2x's and I could not be happier!  They sound awesome!! 

As others have said, definitely do the sonicap/mills/no-rez upgrades with your initial build.  You won't regret it!

If I had it to do over again, I would just get Ron to build me a set!  He does beautiful work and is a gentleman among men! 

My 2 cents...

Roger