Adding bass traps to my room.

Nuance

Re: Adding bass traps to my room.
« Reply #60 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:42 pm »
I built this 4"x2'x4' and mounted it on a 2x4 backing (airspace).  I intend to build a 6"x2'x4' to mount above the bookcase and then build a  rectangle shaped trap that will live in the corner, I will move the bookcase out away from the wall about 12 inches. I apologize for the poor quality photos, iPhone.

Looks great, Kirk,  Are you going to place a second panel directly across from that one on the other wall?

K Shep

« Reply #61 on: 2 Mar 2010, 11:01 pm »
Have you ever tried flipping the whole room around?  It seems from the photos (I might be mistaken) that you could get more of a symmetrical that way, other than the floor, but that could be cured pretty easily with some sort of riser.  This would also reduce some of the space behind the speakers which could add bass response as well.  Just a though…

Yes the room was initially setup that way but the access "hole" is in the way of the sweet spot and the left speaker must be placed on a platform.  Those are just the layout issues.

Looks great, Kirk,  Are you going to place a second panel directly across from that one on the other wall?

Yes, I will build another 4" thick panel for the opposite facing wall.  I also plan to build a rectangle about 18" square to sit in the area near the window (that damned space!), probably 18"x18"x48" that I will be able to move around, maybe taller.  The stall in the build is due to the miscalculation in fabric quantity.  The bass traps ate up more fabric than I figured. 

K Shep

« Reply #62 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:52 pm »
I removed 4 of the Auralex "foam" panels from the angled part of the ceiling.  The right side of the bookcase is boomy. 

My question is does it make sense to walk around the room and treat locations that sound boomy?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #63 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:18 pm »
That's one way to find things.  That said, if it's under control and sounds correct and not boomy at your seat position, you might not need any more.

Bryan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:21 pm »
Bryan,

What about doing some measurements and seeing what it says? 

K Shep

« Reply #65 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:28 pm »
That's one way to find things.  That said, if it's under control and sounds correct and not boomy at your seat position, you might not need any more.

Bryan

The seating position has always sounded great but move forward or back (sliding the chair) and that changes.  I added the 2"x2'x4' 703 panel above the seating position it wasn't boomy before I added the panel but thought it was one location that wouldn't harm.   

I have new speakers showing up soon (next couple of days) so once I get them in place I will measure and post the measurements.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:34 pm »
once I get them in place I will measure and post the measurements.

we like that!   :thumb:

It helps so much to dial it in. 

Nuance

« Reply #67 on: 18 Mar 2010, 09:44 pm »

Bryan

This.  :thumb:

Kirk is going to be rockin' hard soon (hopefully this weekend).  He'll soon be the owner of one of the best speakers you can buy (my opinion).  I look forward to getting his listening impressions. 

K Shep

« Reply #68 on: 20 Mar 2010, 01:25 am »
Gentleman,

The new addition to my listening attic, Revel Ultima Studio 2's.  I will post additional photos as I settle in.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #69 on: 20 Mar 2010, 01:30 am »
Hats off to Kevin Voecks and a very well measuring loudspeaker. In fact, the senior product in Revel's line won loudspeaker of the year at Soundstage. Just needs a beefy amp.

Congrats on the new addition!

Anand.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #70 on: 20 Mar 2010, 02:41 am »
How did you get those babies up there? Must have been a real back breaker.

vintagebob

« Reply #71 on: 20 Mar 2010, 02:27 pm »
Nice Kirk!  :thumb:

Thanks, for not asking me to help you get them up there.  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #72 on: 20 Mar 2010, 02:55 pm »
Gentleman,

The new addition to my listening attic, Revel Ultima Studio 2's.  I will post additional photos as I settle in.

Great speaker choice.

Seems like a lot of speaker for your attic space...no other place in the house you can use?

George

K Shep

« Reply #73 on: 20 Mar 2010, 04:40 pm »
Great speaker choice.

Seems like a lot of speaker for your attic space...no other place in the house you can use?

George

My attic is my listening room.

Here is a forum post from Kevin Voecks he is involved in the design of Revel speakers.  His input helped make my decision in purchasing the Studio 2's.

There is nearly-universal misunderstanding of loudspeakers being "too big" for a room. It is certainly true that large D'Appolito designs, with widely-separate mids or even mid-woofers or woofers must be used beyond some minimum distance to the listener. As you know, all of the loudspeakers you are considering are the more traditional woofer, mid-woofer (Salon2 only), midrange, tweeter design. Further, all the transducers are located as close-together as possible to minimize lobing issues. You won't have any problem regarding distance.

The aspect that is most widely misunderstood is that a speaker with more extended response would be undesirable in a smaller listening space. As an example, the Salon2 does not produce more low frequency energy throughout most of its range, it's just that it is flat down to a lower frequency. As a result, the only instance in which the Studio2 would be more desirable is if there was a terrible room mode that could not be ameliorated by judicious loudspeaker placement and listener location that was so low that it would be stimulated by the Salon2 and not the Studio2. Given how low the Studio2 goes, that's highly unlikely to be a problem. Neither a bump or a dip below 30 Hz, for example, would rarely be a problem.

It is also often stated that small rooms cannot "support" low frequencies with corresponding wavelengths greater than the largest room dimension. One needs only to listen to a decent auto sound system with the windows closed to experience a clear demonstration of the fallacy of such an argument.

Lastly, everyone quite understandably assumes that the main difference between the Studio2 and Salon2 is in low-frequency extension and ultimate output capability. In fact, my listening notes from the MLL clearly indicate that the greater transparency of the Salon2 is the most immediately-identifiable difference. That's not to say that the Studio2 is not extremely transparent. This difference only becomes apparent in a position-independent listening comparison. I am sure you will be very pleased with either choice. Happy listening!

Kevin Voecks

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #74 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:31 pm »
K Shep
Congratulations on the new speakers. I have been looking at B&W 802Ds and am waiting for the new series to arrive at the store. I am very interested in the Revels but I am having trouble finding a place that has them to listen to. I live in London but will be back in the states soon and will try and have a listen. I am very interested in your impressions so let us know how you like them. I read the Salk gathering you all recently had and would value your opinion of the comparision between the HT3s or other Salk and the Revels

Enjoy and turn it up

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #75 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:47 pm »
Congrats on the new additions. 

Bryan

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #76 on: 20 Mar 2010, 06:19 pm »
So how do they sound???
Congrats, very cool looking, I'm jealous.
 :green:

Nuance

« Reply #77 on: 21 Mar 2010, 01:02 am »
Very nice, brother.  I am jealous. :)  Do let us know how things sound, and give me a ring when you have time. 

OgOgilby

« Reply #78 on: 21 Mar 2010, 02:17 pm »
Kirk,

Wow, nice job on the room and congrats on the Studio 2's! Are you going to post a review on the Revels once you get a feel for them?

K Shep

« Reply #79 on: 21 Mar 2010, 02:58 pm »
Yes I will post a review here.  I plan on spending time today fine tuning the placement of the speakers.