Adding bass traps to my room.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Adding bass traps to my room.
« Reply #80 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:28 am »
K Shep when you do your review or whatever can you tell me who the manufacturer is, not sure if you've updated your system info yet.
I'm new so don't recognize vendors yet...they look just awesome. Thanks

Nuance

« Reply #81 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:01 pm »
This is the new addition to Kshep's home, eclein:
http://www.revelspeakers.com/products/product.asp?product=28

K Shep

« Reply #82 on: 22 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #83 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:19 pm »
My attic is my listening room.

Here is a forum post from Kevin Voecks he is involved in the design of Revel speakers.  His input helped make my decision in purchasing the Studio 2's.

There is nearly-universal misunderstanding of loudspeakers being "too big" for a room. It is certainly true that large D'Appolito designs, with widely-separate mids or even mid-woofers or woofers must be used beyond some minimum distance to the listener. As you know, all of the loudspeakers you are considering are the more traditional woofer, mid-woofer (Salon2 only), midrange, tweeter design. Further, all the transducers are located as close-together as possible to minimize lobing issues. You won't have any problem regarding distance.

The aspect that is most widely misunderstood is that a speaker with more extended response would be undesirable in a smaller listening space. As an example, the Salon2 does not produce more low frequency energy throughout most of its range, it's just that it is flat down to a lower frequency. As a result, the only instance in which the Studio2 would be more desirable is if there was a terrible room mode that could not be ameliorated by judicious loudspeaker placement and listener location that was so low that it would be stimulated by the Salon2 and not the Studio2. Given how low the Studio2 goes, that's highly unlikely to be a problem. Neither a bump or a dip below 30 Hz, for example, would rarely be a problem.

It is also often stated that small rooms cannot "support" low frequencies with corresponding wavelengths greater than the largest room dimension. One needs only to listen to a decent auto sound system with the windows closed to experience a clear demonstration of the fallacy of such an argument.

Lastly, everyone quite understandably assumes that the main difference between the Studio2 and Salon2 is in low-frequency extension and ultimate output capability. In fact, my listening notes from the MLL clearly indicate that the greater transparency of the Salon2 is the most immediately-identifiable difference. That's not to say that the Studio2 is not extremely transparent. This difference only becomes apparent in a position-independent listening comparison. I am sure you will be very pleased with either choice. Happy listening!

Kevin Voecks

Thanks for the post K Shep.

While I am in no way saying I disagree with Kevin or know more than he does, my personal experience over the past 15 years has been that full range speakers have performed better and have been easier to place in a larger room than a smaller room.

We can discuss this topic in a different thread as I don't want to hijack this one.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Revels.

Enjoy your purchase.

George

K Shep

« Reply #84 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm »
I have lived with the Studio's for a few days now and I'm very happy I was able to squeeze them into my budget and up the drop ladder into my attic.  I researched a bit looking for the perfect speaker for my space and IMO I found it.  I wish I had a larger listening room but I don't.  I own a house in San Francisco (1200 sgft).  The speaker is equipped with a "low frequency compensation switch" that allows for placement close to the wall in my case.  I had a friend that works for a local audio shop help with speaker placement.  So I am comfortable with the sound and confident it is as good as possible in the space.

I noticed the bass weight first, sharp-edged and defined.  I have always paid more attention to the midrange but the Studio's make me pay great attention to the low end.  Detailed and articulate.  The way the electric bass joins the kick drum, I'll call it texture.  My first thoughts were a wall of sound but that isn't the case.  I am able to make out the individual instruments in detail and location.

The soundstage in my room is deep.  I thought too deep after visiting a few other rooms.  But with the arrival of the Studio's I've changed my mind.  The soundstage height now equals the depth.  Many of you know the opening track on Miles_Gurtu the stand up bass sounds like it is at the back of the room very well placed and big, tall.  My room does limit the width of the soundstage but with my eyes closed the speakers do that magic thing, reaching beyond the barrier of the side walls. 

The Studio's make rock songs sound better.  Electric guitar has better separation.  I am not a big rock enthusiast but Creed's "One" sounds incredible.  And Metallica, I never listen to Metallica, well I did today and I love it.  I find myself just listening to music, which I have to say isn't always the case.  That is what this is about.

The imaging is above any other speaker I've heard.  The ability to separate instruments and present them as though they are floating in 3D is glorious.  Still having the cohesion and sound as the notes are joined.  I feel a great sense of presence with many of the recordings, as though I'm sitting upfront at a live event.  The speakers disappear into the room on most recordings.  Certain speakers don't hide a poor recording.  The 2's don't seem to make a bad recording worse. I listen to Adele "Cold Shoulder" from her "19" album and the vocal is a bit harse.  The Studio's soften the edge of the song and vocal enough to make it listenable. 

I have upgraded speakers a few times over the last year and every step of the way I've heard deeper in to the music.  I have been listening to equipment lately and this has put a barrier between me and the music.  I'm analyzing how the gear sounds rather than how it communicates the source.  These speakers break through by revealing more of the message along with more tangible aspects such as imaging, dynamics and timing.

I hope the Studio 2's calm my habit for a while.  Today I feel as though they will.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #85 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:44 pm »
Congrats!!!! :thumb:

TJHUB

« Reply #86 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm »
Beautiful speakers Kirk.  I'm really happy for you that you were able to "squeeze them into your budget".  It also sounds like you have achieved that magic we all seek.  Just reading your post, I could almost hear them!  :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #87 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:59 am »
Thanks for the post K Shep.

While I am in no way saying I disagree with Kevin or know more than he does, my personal experience over the past 15 years has been that full range speakers have performed better and have been easier to place in a larger room than a smaller room.

We can discuss this topic in a different thread as I don't want to hijack this one.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Revels.

Enjoy your purchase.

George

I hear what you're saying zybar.  In your opinion my room is too small for my speakers. 

Thank you for offering advise.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 12:40 am by K Shep »

rodge827

« Reply #88 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:30 am »
Kirk,

Niiiice!!! :D

Very Niiiiice  :thumb:

Hope you don't wear a hole in the carpet from all the serious foot tapping.  :eyebrows:

Enjoy 8)

Rodge

Nuance

« Reply #89 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:00 am »
I am very happy that these speakers are "doing it" for you.  Thanks for the write-up buddy.  Enjoy!

K Shep

« Reply #90 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:48 am »
Thank you for all the support.  I am spending all of my spare time sitting in my sweet spot.  I'll come out of the attic soon but for now it's back to listening! 

K Shep

« Reply #91 on: 25 Mar 2010, 04:46 pm »
I snapped a few photos with my digital camera, the speakers are in their final resting place.  The room could be larger but I would rather have speakers that fill the attic and the space in the our next house in a few years.  The room and the system sounds great.  I will measure the speakers in the space once I am able to get out of the listening chair, for now I have trouble moving from that spot.

Nick77

« Reply #92 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:05 pm »
How do you ever leave the room?  :drool:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #93 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:07 pm »
If you have an extra panel laying around, I'd try one beside the left speaker to help some more with boundary proximity.

Other than that, looking good (and I bet it sounds good too...  :thumb: )

Bryan

K Shep

« Reply #94 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:13 pm »
If you have an extra panel laying around, I'd try one beside the left speaker to help some more with boundary proximity.

Bryan

I have 2 each 2"x2'x4' panels.  Do you suggest I double them up to build a 4" thick panel? 

The angled panel help a great deal when I wedged it in front of the brick flue.  It is very cool when you can hear an instant change by adding treatment.

Thank you Bryan.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #95 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:16 pm »
What did you do with your old speakers?? :green:

K Shep

« Reply #96 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:20 pm »
What did you do with your old speakers?? :green:

PM sent.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #97 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:10 pm »
I have 2 each 2"x2'x4' panels.  Do you suggest I double them up to build a 4" thick panel? 

The angled panel help a great deal when I wedged it in front of the brick flue.  It is very cool when you can hear an instant change by adding treatment.

Thank you Bryan.

You can try both but in that position, the 2" will probably be fine.

Bryan

Nuance

« Reply #98 on: 25 Mar 2010, 09:12 pm »

Bryan

Isn't there one already next to it?  Its hard to see in the picture from the LP, but the pic of just the left speaker (the last picture) shows a panel there.  Or do you mean put another one to the right of that one?

Things looks great, Kirk.  I'd love to hear how it sounds.  Enjoy bro - you deserve it!

Stylus

« Reply #99 on: 20 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
Looking good Kirk.  I am bummed I couldn't make it to the last GTG.  Hopefully I can get by and hear those beasts some day!  :)