Adding bass traps to my room.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: Adding bass traps to my room.
« Reply #40 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:18 am »
Kirk,
Nice job. Looking good man. Not sure if this would make a difference but have you thought about drilling holes all around your frame?

K Shep

« Reply #41 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:54 am »
Kirk,
Nice job. Looking good man. Not sure if this would make a difference but have you thought about drilling holes all around your frame?

Thank you.  I hadn't.  The balance is make the big rectangle things in the room look as unobtrusive as possible, however as I type this I realize I will wrap this panel with fabric.  Not a bad idea, one of the mfgs of panel frames has holes on the sides.  max, I think you just want to put me to work!   :wink:

K Shep

« Reply #42 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:08 pm »
The 6" thick trap is near completion, wrapped in fabric and the stand is attached.  The stand at the bottom is temporary until I come up with a finish look.  For now I am able to place the trap and move it around in my room.

Nuance

« Reply #43 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:05 pm »
Wow, very nice brother!  When I buy a house I am going to have to contract you to build me room treatments/bass traps.  :D

K Shep

« Reply #44 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »
3 - corner bass traps are complete.

vintagebob

« Reply #45 on: 26 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm »
Kirk,

Those look great!  :thumb:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2010, 12:24 am »
Wow.  Looks great.

K Shep

« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2010, 12:28 am »
Bob, pipe,

Thank you.  It sounds like additional low frequency in the middle of the room.  Placebo or not.

The truth will be in the measurements.  Which I hope to get to tomorrow. 

Stylus

« Reply #48 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:06 am »
Hey Kirk, just stumbled across this, great job!  I still have my corner trap to build to so I will be interest to talk to you about your process next weekend.

Nuance

« Reply #49 on: 27 Feb 2010, 09:47 pm »
Kirk was nice enough to send me his REW measurements, so its time for some before and after measurements (concerning bass traps). 

Right speaker before:

Right speaker after:

Left speaker before:

Left speaker after:

More to come later. 

Averaged frequency response of both speakers on Axis (Green is the old FR and Blue is new):

K Shep

« Reply #50 on: 27 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm »
Thanks Nuance,

I can hear a difference with the bass traps in place and the measurements show those differences.

Stylus

« Reply #51 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:56 pm »
That is a great improvement shown in the waterfalls.  :thumb:

I thought about possibly tackling my corner trap today, how did you attach the cover you built to the wall?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #52 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
Some nice gains there in decay times.  A bit of some differences in response (some better, some not) but some of those may easily be a slight difference in mic placement.  I'd try moving the mic a bit to try to smooth a couple of the newer dips and adjust seating accordingly.

It's so hard to explain that after adding bass control, you can actually end up with more, deeper, tighter bass than without.  It's all about getting rid of cancellations that are masking things.

Congrats.

Bryan

K Shep

« Reply #53 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:30 pm »
That is a great improvement shown in the waterfalls.  :thumb:

I thought about possibly tackling my corner trap today, how did you attach the cover you built to the wall?

I used #6X1-5/8 Trim-1SQ Finish Screw.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=807-114&LARGEVIEW=ON

K Shep

« Reply #54 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:34 pm »
Some nice gains there in decay times.  A bit of some differences in response (some better, some not) but some of those may easily be a slight difference in mic placement.  I'd try moving the mic a bit to try to smooth a couple of the newer dips and adjust seating accordingly.

It's so hard to explain that after adding bass control, you can actually end up with more, deeper, tighter bass than without.  It's all about getting rid of cancellations that are masking things.

Congrats.

Bryan

I appreciate all of the feed back!  I will be adding treatment to the back of the room (behind the speakers) this week.  Then performing more measurements.  These are tweaks I can really get behind  :wink:

Nuance

« Reply #55 on: 1 Mar 2010, 06:07 pm »
I think it would be a great idea to inquire of the masses on where to place diffusion panels.  Its the last thing that is planned (based on how things sound after the absorption panels are re-positioned and all bass traps are in place), but it would still be good to get the opinions of those with a good amount of experience.  I believe Kirk plans to add two more absorption panels behind the LP, and two or so behind the speakers all the side walls.  He also plans to take down most of the foam on the ceiling and add a first reflection ceiling panel (or two), which will end up right around half way between the LP and the speakers, centered. 

Diffusion will be the final step if it is need.  Perhaps on the back wall behind the LP, filling that triangular portion above the window?  Maybe a couple on the ceiling?  Thoughts?

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
    • Acoustical Design & Consulting
« Reply #56 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:06 pm »
I suggest that a 4" panel mounted with slight airspace (don't really want to make it feel threatening overhead) at first reflection point on ceiling is going to do a lot.  I would also mention to keep an open mind on the foam in this case.  The low-density/open cell nature of the foam (providing it's good quality acoustical foam) has real benefits in taming off-axis energy which is the case here (angled ceiling surfaces).

Nice improvements...it's very tough to get the lower midrage to behave in this room shape profile!

K Shep

« Reply #57 on: 2 Mar 2010, 04:17 pm »
I built this 4"x2'x4' and mounted it on a 2x4 backing (airspace).  I intend to build a 6"x2'x4' to mount above the bookcase and then build a  rectangle shaped trap that will live in the corner, I will move the bookcase out away from the wall about 12 inches. I apologize for the poor quality photos, iPhone.

K Shep

« Reply #58 on: 2 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm »
I suggest that a 4" panel mounted with slight airspace (don't really want to make it feel threatening overhead) at first reflection point on ceiling is going to do a lot.  I would also mention to keep an open mind on the foam in this case.  The low-density/open cell nature of the foam (providing it's good quality acoustical foam) has real benefits in taming off-axis energy which is the case here (angled ceiling surfaces).

Nice improvements...it's very tough to get the lower midrage to behave in this room shape profile!

I am going to keep the Auralex foam panels in place.  I removed the back 4 nearest the listening position and didn't like the result,  so I put them back and will leave them.  The ceiling is a challenging surface to treat in my room.  I have more fabric coming from ATS and I will build one more set, for now, of panels. 

Stylus

« Reply #59 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:07 pm »
Man, you are on a roll!  Makes me realize how slow I have been.  I finally got through one case of boards, but have another one just still sitting there; I need to get my ass in gear!

You know, I was just looking through your photos again.  Have you ever tried flipping the whole room around?  It seems from the photos (I might be mistaken) that you could get more of a symmetrical that way, other than the floor, but that could be cured pretty easily with some sort of riser.  This would also reduce some of the space behind the speakers which could add bass response as well.  Just a though…