Exodus Anarchy Design

exojam

Re: Exodus Anarchy Design
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2010, 02:55 pm »
It's possible a sealed box would perfrom well - I could look into it if you like.

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. No need to go too far in that design just for me. I was just wondering if something like that may make it into your company’s line up.

James

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:34 pm »
I just finished a 3-way design in the Madisound MD-38 cabinet. The woofers were two Scan-Speak 7" Illuminators (sealed box) but the Anarchy drivers could easily be substituted for a ported design. The mid is the new Seas "curve" cone and a SB Acoustics 1" metal dome. Very nice combination, headed to Virginia this weekend.  :thumb:

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #42 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:00 pm »
Rick,

Now I am curious about the differences between the SB metal dome tweeter and their dimple dome. I guess I don't understand why they would have two different tweeters at the same price point. It seems to me that the dimple dome is pretty good already, why build a different one and price it the same?

What led you (or your client) to choose the metal dome?

Chuck

jmc207

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jun 2010, 06:10 pm »
Also, what kind of bass response, F3 or whatever, would you get with 2 Anarchy woofers in a ported enclosure?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #44 on: 9 Jun 2010, 07:39 pm »
Rick,

Now I am curious about the differences between the SB metal dome tweeter and their dimple dome. I guess I don't understand why they would have two different tweeters at the same price point. It seems to me that the dimple dome is pretty good already, why build a different one and price it the same?

What led you (or your client) to choose the metal dome?

Chuck

It's really a matter of preference and to give their customers a choice. Some people will favor one over the other and my customer requested a metal dome since he had heard one that he liked. This one is very good and much smoother than others that I've heard.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:52 am »
Also, what kind of bass response, F3 or whatever, would you get with 2 Anarchy woofers in a ported enclosure?

Depending on the box volume and tuning the high 30's to mid 40's.

yotacowboy

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:31 am »
Just wanted to post first to thank Rick for his great work, and to give some listening impressions now that these have a good 500 hours on them.

My prior speakers were Von Schweikert VR-1's with upgraded crossovers and internal wiring. I had used these as my main speakers for about 6 years and was quite pleased with them. I'm running a Primaluna el34 integrated with new stock Gold Lion KT77's and either a Rega Apollo, Technics TT, or a Mac based server w/ a Cambridge Audio DAC. Nothing fancy, but plenty to keep me and my wife happy.

I began to research some DIY speaker alternatives which would give me a "interim" speaker - something less than $1k where I could replace the baffle/drivers/crossover with something that could easily compare to $3k-$5k off the shelf designs. My plan is to eventually upgrade to a RAAL-based 2-way using the same cabinet.

I purchased a pair of Kevin's Anarchy woofers with the desire to build a small subwoofer, however, around the same time Rick posted that he was interested in these woofers for a 2-way design. I obliged him and sent a woofer to test - and a few weeks later, et viola, I had some crossovers and baffles, ready to go.

Once they were assembled using PE .75 cu.ft. cabinets (ported), I began breaking them in a little with some sweeps and pink noise bursts for about 20 hours. I did some listening and was very impressed by the low end response. They were a little wooly at first, but easily had useable output to about 27Hz in room (10 db down). After playing with room position I managed to get the balance out the response a bit better. I feel I would benefit from running a good bit more power to these overachievers - and I've got a Class D Audio 250x2 amp ready to be assembled which may improve the composure of these beastly 6 1/2's. Right now it's no major concern as I'm a small condo dweller - and with a "measly" 35 watts the Anarchy will easily rattle the dishes... And just like you read in every review, yes, Virginia, everyone who hears these speakers asks, "where's the subwoofer?"

The tweeter is very listenable - no fatigue in Rick's implementation. The crossover point is not nearly as detectable as my VR-1's (which had a mild peakiness in the lower presence range). Imaging is comparable to the VR-1's in terms of width, however, there's stronger center fill and better sense of space with the RS28F silk dome. This may have to do with the tweeter's gently rising response in the upper octave, but I'll defer to Rick, as it may have to do with the crossover implementation as well. All I can say is that I'm very pleased with the sound!

All in all I'm very happy with these "interim" speakers, and wouldn't hesitate to do business with Rick again - in one sense, it may be a "bad" thing that these speakers exceeded my expectations, as it may be just a little bit longer before I get antsy for some RAALs and Illuminators...

Thanks again, Rick!

Cheers

critofur

« Reply #47 on: 6 Sep 2010, 01:53 am »
...All in all I'm very happy with these "interim" speakers, and wouldn't hesitate to do business with Rick again - in one sense, it may be a "bad" thing that these speakers exceeded my expectations, as it may be just a little bit longer before I get antsy for some RAALs and Illuminators...

If you compared these in a blind test to the RAAL/Illuminator speakers you're going to get, I would not be surprised at all if you prefer these. :)

yotacowboy

« Reply #48 on: 11 Sep 2010, 12:24 am »
If you compared these in a blind test to the RAAL/Illuminator speakers you're going to get, I would not be surprised at all if you prefer these. :)

hey! you can't fault a guy for wanting more cool new toys! seriously, the more i live with the anarchy design, the more i've come to appreciate the voicing - they are a smidge boosted in the lower octaves, but i think some of that perception may be a bit of a mind game since the sheer amount and tunefulness of bass that a pair of stand-mount speakers like these have isn't common. i'd guess that most people who SEE a big-ass speaker expect a certain amount and extension in the lowest octaves, but it probably throws people for a loop when you can get very similar performance from a slightly over sized stand-mount. I specifically recall listening to a pair of the Usher BE718's and being astounded by how low they could play (and remain composed - granted, with 250 watts behind them). anyhow, they (the anachys) are a flat out impressive speaker. If Rick can get a similar lower frequency extension with even better detail out of the revelators and raals, or with the illuminators, i'm game!

again, thanks Rick!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #49 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:06 am »
More anarchy on the way in the form of a slender tower 3-way with four of the beasts per side... :thumb:

Stuart

« Reply #50 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:56 pm »
Just for interest sake, I have built the 2 way bought from Rick and can't believe what this little sprout can do. The new 3 way tower will be something to behold if this is anything to go by. The 2 way can handle a great deal of power and is warm and dynamic. With 4 woofers per side, this is going to shift some serious air :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #51 on: 6 Oct 2010, 03:05 pm »
How about dual Anarchy bass modules with DSP crossovers and ICE amplification?  :thumb:

Stuart

« Reply #52 on: 7 Oct 2010, 04:47 pm »
Interesting, would you use the same drivers as discussed. Have you tried something already  :wink:
What do you think the benefits would be?

Stu

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #53 on: 8 Oct 2010, 02:18 am »
Interesting, would you use the same drivers as discussed. Have you tried something already  :wink:
What do you think the benefits would be?

Stu

Basically it was something I suggested to a few people considering a small subwoofer or a floorstanding speaker with a narrow footprint.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #54 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:37 pm »
Just for interest sake, I have built the 2 way bought from Rick and can't believe what this little sprout can do. The new 3 way tower will be something to behold if this is anything to go by. The 2 way can handle a great deal of power and is warm and dynamic. With 4 woofers per side, this is going to shift some serious air :thumb:

Looking forward to your pictures - the design turned out great! I just noticed another company using the Anarchy woofer; however, once again I find their specs to be a little "optimistic". I won't say who it is but if you figure it out ask them to provide a nearfield or groundplane measurement.   :wink:

Stuart

« Reply #55 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:43 pm »
Looking forward to your pictures - the design turned out great! I just noticed another company using the Anarchy woofer; however, once again I find their specs to be a little "optimistic". I won't say who it is but if you figure it out ask them to provide a nearfield or groundplane measurement.   :wink:
Interesting! I will do some online hunting right away :wink: what tweet are they using? Better still, send me a mail!!!

AUDFILE74

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:08 am »
What tweeter are you using  rick? how much does the plans for the passive cost? i have just ordered a pair of anrchy woofers and i would love to do this kit.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:55 pm »
What tweeter are you using  rick? how much does the plans for the passive cost? i have just ordered a pair of anrchy woofers and i would love to do this kit.

The Dayton RS28F (rumored to be built by Usher). $350 for the kit (everything but the woofers).
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2011, 06:46 pm by Rick Craig »

AUDFILE74

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jan 2011, 01:17 am »
Okay ! that is a great deal! now i just need some IRS love and i can make this happen

pslate

« Reply #59 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:06 pm »
Hi Rick,

Did you mess around with a 3 way monitor design for this one? Could there be a kit opportunity there? Might there be a ribbon that could play well with these other drivers? Okay enough questions  :thumb: The good thing is, is that I have the keys to my architectural firms model shop. Personal projects are verboten, but I can make it look like work  8) Have a great day.

Paul