Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)

skeeter99

Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)
« on: 3 Feb 2010, 01:47 am »
Hey there, I am looking at replacing my current Aperion 6B's with a set of the N3's and an N3S for my secondary setup. They will be powered by my Rotel RSX-1056 (roughly 75 real wpc all channels driven). Right now the Aperion's do great and are a very good speaker but I want to try my hand in DIY and thought this kit looked like a good way to start, IE not super expensive and looks like good bang for my buck :D

I've read around here a bit and haven't really seen a lot of reviews of this kit and especially how it does for HT (as that is the primary use for this system). I'm not looking for anything ridiculously loud or anything as this is a secondary setup but I would like nice clean clear vocals and good bass impact while not being too difficult to drive with my current amp.

My main setup is an Onkyo 805, AV123 Mini's/X-Voce/Dual MFW-15's and I've owned Rocket RS450's/Bigfoot, the Ref100 and Ref1's went with my Mini's before I got the Voce. I've had X-SLS'/CS/LS' as well. I really enjoy the sound that Danny creates and I don't doubt I would like these I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement. This will be my 30th BDay present to myself and am really looking forward to trying this out!

If those that have heard these in a HT type environment, or even just those with good 2-channel experience, wouldn't mind chiming in on what I can relatively expect with this setup that would be fantastic!

Thanks for the help!!

Scott

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2010, 01:56 am »
Scott,
Have you thought about getting on the N1X demo list to listen to a pair?  Danny has a set traveling around the country for auditions.  Not the D'Appolito array, but would give you a listen to close sounding speakers.

I have not heard the N3 family, but I have a pair of N2X and they sound great in two channel operation.  I use them with the ELT-P/BS and they sound great as a combo! 

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:00 am »
Hal,

I haven't considered that yet. I may chime in on that thread and see if I can get in on the demo. I may be a little impatient though as my bday is in just 1 month and I'm already foaming at the mouth  :drool:

Thanks for the idea!!

Scott

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:05 am »
The N3 design is fairly new and because of the length of time most people spend building out their speakers, not too many have been built out and 'reviewed' just yet.  If you look up the AV3, you'll find a lot of information...this is a big update/upgrade on that design, it seems.

The N3 (I'm assuming), N2X, N1X and even OB speakers have a similar 'sound' that Danny is known for.  Most of Danny's speakers you've heard were likely tailored a bit towards Mark's 'sound' or weren't taken to the highest level with various simple upgrades like No-Rez.

The tweeter (Neo 3) is fantastic and very airy with great off-axis response.  The midrange and vocals from the N2X and OB7s I own are fantastic and a huge huge huge upgrade from the Refs...and I'm fairly certain the N3s go quite low (-3 is 40 hz, likely lower in-room).

These are a huge upgrade from the AV123 speakers you own, though I know little about Aperions.

Danny is also making a new design using Kevin Haskin's new driver (from DIYcable) that will be very impressive for a HT speaker.  The monitor version (Tweeter/Mid) is expected to go down to 40 hz  :green:  The tower version will be pretty crazy.  That design will be using the 'Encore' tweeter you're familiar with.

As someone who owns the N2X, I highly recommend going for the N3s and expect you to be blown away by their performance.  For surrounds, you can use the cheap P.E. cabs if you want to make that part easier on yourself.

jaydillyo

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:20 am »
I'm the exact same boat as you are.  I am considering the N3 as a 31st birthday to myself.  I just received the N1X demo pair today.  I spent some time listening to music and watching part of LOTR.  I have them set up with a MFW-15.

A couple things that I've noticed so far.  I found that I prefer them toed in very little compared to my current speakers (some old MB Quart towers).  The Neo 3 tweeter is awesome.  It attacks and decays so fast.  Play something with bells.  It's great.

I'm going to spend a good amount of time listening to these and then go listen to some PSB Imagine bookshelves at a local AV shop.  I have listened to the PSBs before, but it's been a while.  I'll see if they'll let me take the PSBs home to demo.

I auditioned the RS850s once and I can say that the N1Xs don't have a subdued top end like the 850s.  The 850s also seem a bit fat in the mid-range.  I'm not sure if that's cause of the rolled off high end or if the mids are jacked up a bit too.  Just my impression.  You'd have to ask Danny for more info.

-- jaydillyo

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:31 am »
This is strange.  I'm also looking at the N3 or something similar as a belated 30th birthday gift to myself.  I have not heard the Neo 3 tweeter and I really want to.  Having owned some of Danny's work (Usher Tiny Dancers, x-statiks), I'm very interested in this kit. 

Scott.  Buy the kit, build it this weekend and let me know what you think  :wink:  :lol:

chip

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:37 am »
These are a few shots of some done from members on this forum:

« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2010, 05:45 am by chip »

skeeter99

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:09 am »
Wow thanks for all the feedback so far! I had a feeling these were going to be a hit and I really like the sound of a ribbon tweet so I figured I would enjoy the Neo3 :)

So these would be a big upgrade to my Mini's? I REALLY enjoy them but they are the stock version ...

I still need to sell the Aperion's to help "fund" my build but I don't think that will be an issue.

So has anyone built an N3S yet? How does it do for center channel duty?

Chip, I LOVE your N3's! I've shown my wife these ones as the model for what I'd like to build (although I don't think mine will look as nice :)):

These ones look fantastic too!

I'm planning on doing the first ones I linked too but with a light wood. Thinking a curly maple or something like that ...

emac

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:31 am »

So these would be a big upgrade to my Mini's? I REALLY enjoy them but they are the stock version ...

Yes, the N3's are a big upgrade to the stock Mini's.  Basically anything of Danny's the uses the Neo tweeter would be better than the stock Mini's.  I have the O-3's, and they were better than the Ninja modded Mini's as well.  About the only way I've found to get the Mini's to sound even remotely on par with the O-3's was to add Sonicap Platinums to the Ninja boards.  This resulted in a pretty significant difference in sound quality (more so than when I've added Platinums to other speakers, including the O-3's).  There are obviously a lot of factors involved since they are 2 different systems, rooms, and presentations, but at this point, I feel that my O-3 system is on par with my Mini system.  Very different presentations, but both very nice. 

skeeter99

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:41 am »
Yes, the N3's are a big upgrade to the stock Mini's.  Basically anything of Danny's the uses the Neo tweeter would be better than the stock Mini's.  I have the O-3's, and they were better than the Ninja modded Mini's as well.  About the only way I've found to get the Mini's to sound even remotely on par with the O-3's was to add Sonicap Platinums to the Ninja boards.  This resulted in a pretty significant difference in sound quality (more so than when I've added Platinums to other speakers, including the O-3's).  There are obviously a lot of factors involved since they are 2 different systems, rooms, and presentations, but at this point, I feel that my O-3 system is on par with my Mini system.  Very different presentations, but both very nice.

Well I absolutely love my Minis, the soundstage is so even and deep without ever being harsh. Bass is deep but can be a bit bloated at times (probably room related though). If the N3's will be a huge step up from the Mini's I can't wait to get these built! Who knows, maybe they'll end up replacing my Mini's ...  :scratch:

chip

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:47 am »
I fixed my link to those pics skeeter as those are the only pics I could find from forum members that built the N3s...none of these are mine or built by me.

I just thought you might want to see some pics of some done.

dvenardos

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:45 am »
I had the Neo 2x demo kit here (has sonicaps and mills) head to head with my stock minis and they just blew me away. The Neo tweeter is uber detailed. At first it takes a little getting used to, but it is so clean it is frankly just amazing. Haven't decided what to do with my Minis, really need to Ninja Master with the sonicap platinums to get them up to N3 status. I am going to start off building the N3 tower to replace my ref 100 center channel and will probably build a set of the N3s to replace the minis. So many projects, so little time and money.  :violin:
Well I absolutely love my Minis, the soundstage is so even and deep without ever being harsh. Bass is deep but can be a bit bloated at times (probably room related though). If the N3's will be a huge step up from the Mini's I can't wait to get these built! Who knows, maybe they'll end up replacing my Mini's ...  :scratch:

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2010, 02:08 pm »
Hi Skeeter,
I built the Sapele pair above for my sister.  She is using an older Sherwood AVR to drive them, I believe it is running about 100 wpc, of course at 91dB you don't need too much of that power to start getting loud.  I did not hear them extensively since I delivered them shortly after they were complete, but they sounded outstanding even before they had time to break in.  Excellent bass, clean and detailed mids and highs.  She and her boyfriend were over this weekend and he made a point to let me know how great they sounded.  He said they were clear and didn't hurt his ears at the levels she listens to them  :lol:.  I don't think you can go wrong with this kit, excellent speaker and fantastic bang for the buck.
Best,
Ed

skeeter99

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:05 pm »
I had the Neo 2x demo kit here (has sonicaps and mills) head to head with my stock minis and they just blew me away. The Neo tweeter is uber detailed. At first it takes a little getting used to, but it is so clean it is frankly just amazing. Haven't decided what to do with my Minis, really need to Ninja Master with the sonicap platinums to get them up to N3 status. I am going to start off building the N3 tower to replace my ref 100 center channel and will probably build a set of the N3s to replace the minis. So many projects, so little time and money.  :violin:

Wow the N2x's blew your Mini's away ... I think this is going to be fun!! I expected them to be good but I really didn't expect them to be at the level of the Mini's. Nice!!

skeeter99

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2010, 03:07 pm »
Hi Skeeter,
I built the Sapele pair above for my sister.  She is using an older Sherwood AVR to drive them, I believe it is running about 100 wpc, of course at 91dB you don't need too much of that power to start getting loud.  I did not hear them extensively since I delivered them shortly after they were complete, but they sounded outstanding even before they had time to break in.  Excellent bass, clean and detailed mids and highs.  She and her boyfriend were over this weekend and he made a point to let me know how great they sounded.  He said they were clear and didn't hurt his ears at the levels she listens to them  :lol:.  I don't think you can go wrong with this kit, excellent speaker and fantastic bang for the buck.
Best,
Ed

Ed, ok so it was your Sapele that I recognized the picture of. Those are simply gorgeous  :drool:  I did like your comment about how they look similar to the Salk Song Towers because that's what I had in my mind to imitate them after then I saw your pic and it confirmed it :D Very beautiful craftsmanship you've done!!

dvenardos

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2010, 11:29 pm »
Well, the Neo 2xs blew me away. I wasn't expecting them to be that good. The Neo and the mini are very different sounding speakers and I agree with Ed they are a definite step up from the stock minis. The Neo has amazing detail and the mini is more lush sounding (probably not as flat a response). Upgrading the minis to ninja master w/ sonicap platinums is about the same cost as building the Neo 3, plus no one seems to be able to get drivers for the minis anymore.
Wow the N2x's blew your Mini's away ... I think this is going to be fun!! I expected them to be good but I really didn't expect them to be at the level of the Mini's. Nice!!

emac

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2010, 03:05 am »

The soundstage of the Mini's definitely gets better (fuller and deeper) w/ the upgrades as does the imaging, which tends towards pinpoint when needed.  The bass would be helped quite a bit by No Rez (or it might be Black Hole 5 that the Ninja offers w/ his mods, don't remember).  But, as dvenardos said, the cost of the upgrades to the Mini's that bring them in league w/ the N3's, is the cost of the N3's.  So, tough choices. 

skeeter99

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2010, 03:10 am »
Well I think I'm going to build the N3's and have fun with that. If I end up liking them more than the Mini's maybe I'll sell the Mini's and build something else :) I'm going to need help picking out the veneer, though. I have dark stained bamboo floors so I'm struggling trying to figure out if I should do a dark or a light veneer ... Oh the tough choices I must endure :D

I still haven't heard of anyone using these in HT though with a matching Center. Has anyone done that yet or is everyone primarily using them for 2-channel?

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:22 am »
Most of the people here seem to be heavily biased towards two channel.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2010, 01:06 pm »
Most music is in 2 channels.  It's cheaper too.