Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)

skeeter99

Re: Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2010, 02:50 pm »
Yeah I understand most are 2-channel here but this will be for TV/Movie's primarily and music on occasion. I don't doubt that the center channel version will be great I was just hoping to get some real life experiences from people  :P

dvenardos

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:53 pm »
Looking forward to your feedback because we know you have had some good center channels there.  :wink:

Yeah I understand most are 2-channel here but this will be for TV/Movie's primarily and music on occasion. I don't doubt that the center channel version will be great I was just hoping to get some real life experiences from people  :P

skeeter99

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:08 pm »
I've had an X-CS, X-CS Encore, RSC200, REF1 and X-Voce ... I feel that the X-Voce has been the strongest performer of the group overall. If the N3S is even close I'll be very happy  :icon_lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:21 pm »
The N3S is the exact same speaker as the beloved N3. It is just in a smaller sealed box. So other than a change in low end extension and a little bit of control in that lower range, they sound exactly the same.

yakman2000

« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »
I built the first speakers picture in the group at the beginning of the topic.   I use them for both music and movies, with an x-voce center channel and x-ls surrounds. 

Without question, the N3's sound outclasses every other speaker I've heard, inclduign a friends maggies.   Its as clear and airy as the maggies but sweeter and fuller (in a positive way).  I would strongly recommend them.

While they are compatible, sound wise with the x-voce, you might find yourself yearning for an N3s as a center channel.

And, of course, there is nothing to compare to the pride of pointing at them and saying (or even thinking)  "I made those!".

keenween

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:30 pm »
I use N3's for 2channel music and movies with a pair of rythmik 15s. They perform great for HT and I echo what others say about performance for music (my main concern). Excellent detail, a large step up from rockets. The sensitivity makes them a lot easier to drive than 450s. I don't think they hit you in the chest like some speakers or go low enough to be without a sub for real HT experience, but I think they have excellent bass response that sounds very natural. A beautiful presentation top to bottom.

I think a N3s would work great as a center.

skeeter99

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:41 pm »
The N3S is the exact same speaker as the beloved N3. It is just in a smaller sealed box. So other than a change in low end extension and a little bit of control in that lower range, they sound exactly the same.

Thanks Danny, that's what I figured. I'm sure sonically they will be an excellent match :D

skeeter99

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:43 pm »
I built the first speakers picture in the group at the beginning of the topic.   I use them for both music and movies, with an x-voce center channel and x-ls surrounds. 

Without question, the N3's sound outclasses every other speaker I've heard, inclduign a friends maggies.   Its as clear and airy as the maggies but sweeter and fuller (in a positive way).  I would strongly recommend them.

While they are compatible, sound wise with the x-voce, you might find yourself yearning for an N3s as a center channel.

And, of course, there is nothing to compare to the pride of pointing at them and saying (or even thinking)  "I made those!".

Yeah, I'm planning on building a N3S as a center so I won't be matching it up with the Voce at all. I knew they would have very different sonic signatures. I am excited to make some beautiful speakers and show them off as ones I've made so that will be definitely part of the fun  :D

skeeter99

« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:53 pm »
I use N3's for 2channel music and movies with a pair of rythmik 15s. They perform great for HT and I echo what others say about performance for music (my main concern). Excellent detail, a large step up from rockets. The sensitivity makes them a lot easier to drive than 450s. I don't think they hit you in the chest like some speakers or go low enough to be without a sub for real HT experience, but I think they have excellent bass response that sounds very natural. A beautiful presentation top to bottom.

I think a N3s would work great as a center.

Thanks for the input. I didn't think the impact would be outrageous but that's ok as I'll have the bottom end supplemented right now with a Velodyne DLS-4000R. Its not the most musical of subs but it sure does belt it out for HT and only cost me $50  :icon_lol:

I think the sensitivity will really help out in my system as my receiver is fairly low wattage and its currently driving a set of Aperion 6B's which are 82db and the amp does get to its limits when driving them loudly.

Ron

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2010, 05:50 pm »
 Over the past year I have built about four (4) pairs of the Neo 2X's. They are certainly wonderful sounding speakers, but their sensitivity of 85 db/1M/1W is a little bit on the low side. The N3 and N3S have a sensivity of approx. 91 db/1M/1W. Also, they both use a pair of 5-1/4" woofers in a MTM arrangement compared to a single 6-1/2" woofer in the Neo 2X. Other than the higher sensivity and two (2) smaller woofers rather than a larger single woofer, does the N3S perform  better than the Neo 2X  if used in a 2 channel set-up with a subwoofer? I would think the N3S should sound noticeably larger and more dynamic. If you have a different opinion, please express it with a reply.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2010, 07:28 pm »
The N3 will give you a little more dynamics and hit those higher levels with a little more ease.

Ron

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
 Appreciate your reply Danny. So I would take it that unless you listen at fairly high listening levels that it is probably not worth the extra cost of going with the N3S over the the Neo 2X. Am I correct? BTW - Presently sold all the Neo 2X's that I have built, so I will be ordering some more parts kits from you as soon as the weather warm up. Really great sounding speakers Danny.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 6 Feb 2010, 08:59 pm »
Another thing to take into account is that with two woofers sharing the load, each works half as hard which keeps distortion low.

If you decide to build an N3 then I am sure that you will like it.

Ron

« Reply #33 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:34 pm »
 You are right Danny. I didn't think about it, but the distortion would be less with two woofers sharing the load. It would be interesting to hear how they sound. I might just build a pair even though it would cost more than the Neo 2X's. I am a fan of MTM designs anyway. How much No-Rez would be required to do a pair? I would think that it will make a really killer system  coupled with a good subwoofer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:44 pm »
Ron,

You have been a good customer and I really like how you post pics of what you build. So if you want to try the N3 next, I'll knock $40 off the kit price to make it the same price as the N2X kit. Hopefully you will post pics and feedback on that model too. I really appreciate that.

You'll need three sheets of No Rez for the N3.

Coupled with on of our servo subs, it makes a killer good system.  :eyebrows:

cujobob

« Reply #35 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:56 pm »
Are you guys both talking about the same speaker?  It seems like Ron is talking about the N3S version and Danny is talking about the N3 -ported tower version.

For an MTM, do you need to be further away from the speakers than a small two-way?  Would seem like it wouldn't be ideal for nearfield use, but just guessing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 6 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm »
Are you guys both talking about the same speaker?  It seems like Ron is talking about the N3S version and Danny is talking about the N3 -ported tower version.

Same price either way he wants to build them, other than the N3 is slightly higher because of the added floor spikes that come with them.

For an MTM, do you need to be further away from the speakers than a small two-way?  Would seem like it wouldn't be ideal for nearfield use, but just guessing.

Actually the acoustic centers are even closer together than the N2X. You can listen to them as close as you like and it will not effect the response. Both were designed by taking measurements only 1 meter away.

Ron

« Reply #37 on: 6 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm »

Danny, I greatly appreciate your offer and will call you about it this coming week. I will gladly post pictures when they are built.

Wouldn't the N3S require only about 1-1/2 sheets of No-Rez in lieu of 3?

Thanks Danny

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 6 Feb 2010, 10:50 pm »
Wouldn't the N3S require only about 1-1/2 sheets of No-Rez in lieu of 3?

Yes.

skeeter99

« Reply #39 on: 7 Feb 2010, 05:18 am »
Fantastic input today, thanks!! I sold my Aperion 6B's today so I'm gonna be ordering up the N3 kit this week  :rock:  No I just need to sell my stands and I've got enough for the N3S for my center ...