Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)

m-fine

Re: Considering the N3 and N3S, Input Please :)
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:24 am »
I guess I will figure it out soon enough.  I placed my order tonight, so it will be time to make saw dust next week or so.

skeeter99

« Reply #61 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:52 am »
I'm now thinking of building these out of Baltic Birch instead of standard MDF and veneering. I really like the look of cabinets that I have seen built but I'm wondering if the plywood being less dense will adversely affect the sound? Does anyone know if the cabinets being built of the baltic birch will hurt them? How much does that stuff cost? I did a quick search online and couldn't really come up with many options and I'd rather get it locally anyway ...

dvenardos

« Reply #62 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:23 am »
You can get Baltic Birch at your local Home Depot.
I have asked the question about Baltic Birch versus MDF before and can't really make a comment.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #63 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:30 am »
You might pick up your Baltic Birch at a smaller, non chain lumber yard.  I have seen some of the Home Depot stuff that had significant voids.  For a few bucks more, why gamble with Lowes/Home Depot quality.  The savings vs the added cost of veneer should more than offset the extra $.
As far as comparison to MDF, it will be between double to triple the cost per sheet. Makes sure to use No Rez or similar product, and the difference in density should not be an issue.

skeeter99

« Reply #64 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:43 am »
You might pick up your Baltic Birch at a smaller, non chain lumber yard.  I have seen some of the Home Depot stuff that had significant voids.  For a few bucks more, why gamble with Lowes/Home Depot quality.  The savings vs the added cost of veneer should more than offset the extra $.
As far as comparison to MDF, it will be between double to triple the cost per sheet. Makes sure to use No Rez or similar product, and the difference in density should not be an issue.

Cool thanks for that input. I knew that a sheet would be more than MDF and that is fine as you don't need to veneer if you do the birch which really helps offset that cost. There are a number of smaller lumber yards around, I'll check them out and see if they have any. I was planning on doing NoRez so that's good to know it should help. I figured MDF would be more dense but if using NoRez helps to negate that difference this may be a good alternative option.

BrianH

« Reply #65 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:52 am »
I would suggest extra bracing with Baltic Birch (BB). You should also consider laminating BB over mdf. Best of both worlds, so to speak. North Creek Music uses layered for one.

The thing is that they are not the same, and building the cabinet should keep that in mind. 13 ply BB is what I would recommend if you do decide to use just BB. I personally have never seen the real deal at my local Home Depot, try a real woodworkers store. It costs about 3x mdf. If you can find a 5'x5' 18mm (~3/4") sheet for around $65 you are doing good. If the stack of so called BB at the store is full of badly warped pieces that would be a clue that it might be something else.

"Baltic" birch grows slower because of the colder climate and is denser than other Birch. I would be careful selecting BB if you don't know much about it, there are a lot of grades, stuff being called Baltic Birch is not always what you think it is.

Some thoughts and info, hope it helps.