Verita

Mudslide

Re: Verita
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
We can't wait to see and hear the Veritas at the Great Northwest GTG, Rick.  Many thanks for sponsoring us!  http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67150  It's because of the gracious support of companies like Selah that helps our great hobby grow.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #61 on: 20 Aug 2010, 05:40 pm »
Here's a nearfield bass response curve for the ported version of the Verita. The output is only -10db @26hz which is exceptionally good for a 7" woofer. Combined with the detail and resolution of the bass this is our new reference standard for a driver of this size.

Jeff K

« Reply #62 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:25 pm »
Any updates on the review?  :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #63 on: 8 Sep 2010, 02:33 am »
Any updates on the review?  :D

The speakers are with the reviewer until the end of this month so I'm guessing sometime in October. I just shipped a pair to Oregon for the Audioholics event.

Mudslide

« Reply #64 on: 8 Sep 2010, 02:59 am »
The speakers are with the reviewer until the end of this month so I'm guessing sometime in October. I just shipped a pair to Oregon for the Audioholics event.

We should have some audition reviews and photos ready to roll in a couple of weeks.  Thanks again for the great support, Rick.

For those that don't know, our Oregon event is on the 18th.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #65 on: 8 Sep 2010, 03:54 pm »
We should have some audition reviews and photos ready to roll in a couple of weeks.  Thanks again for the great support, Rick.

For those that don't know, our Oregon event is on the 18th.

Thanks to you as well for the opportunity. Here's the pair on the way to you...

Mudslide

« Reply #66 on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:11 pm »
After way too much rain, even for Oregon, we finally had our auditions of the Veritas.  These are really nice performers!  Auditioner perceptions were fairly consistent.  I'll be posting pictures and event results summaries in a few days.

Congrats on a great speaker, Rick!

standub

« Reply #67 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:22 am »
Just in case any one was looking for it, here's mudslides wrap up from Audioholics.

This pair from Selah Audio is easily the largest of the demo units. While only a bit of bass reduction would result, these are available in smaller, sealed units, as well. The Veritas are interesting and, to me, are complex speakers that might take getting used to. Their drivers, at least in my opinion, are among the best. I heartily endorse the RAAL tweeter. But responses to their presentation were quite varied and a little conflicted. This result may have been because the Veritas were the first speaker auditioned and listeners were not familiar with the musical cuts. This was discussed by the audition team. I gave slightly more weight to the unveiled reports as a result.
Resolution - This pair had an interesting cross-section of comments regarding resolution, generally good comments, but with some hints of a troubled high end. "Slightly bright and missing something", "Natural but slightly clouded top end", "Solid, good vocals", "Sibilant", "Nice", "Very nice".
Bass - Generally a good bass presentation in the reports, but variable. "Very good", "Nice extension", "Clean bass", "One note", "Lacking a little weight", "Nice, natural, liked it", "Smooth and natural".
Midrange - There was again quite a variation on opinions of the Veritas. "Good detail", "Nice", "Solid but not special", "Clear but thin".
Transparency - The Selahs did well with this important element. "Loved it...3D", "Very nice", "Not bad, maybe a bit sharp", "Clear and distinct".
Transients - Another very good reported element. "Nice job", "Smooth, snappy", "Very nice", "Good presentation".
Visceral Impact - The variability of bass experience may also afflict this element a bit. "Okay, speakerish", "Lacks bass", "Lively", "Good slam", "Doesn't pull me in", "Good".
Soundstage - In my opinion, and from the reports, soundstage seems to be the Verita's strength, even in the challenging seating positions...but there were a couple of dissentors. "Nice", "Deep and wide", "Diffuse", "Average", "Most impressive".
Dynamics - And this might have been perceived by most as not the Verita's strong suit, but still received some very good comments. "Okay but a bit bright", "Hurt by bass loss", "Okay, lacks bass, "Good job", "Better than most with cymbals".
Other Comments - "Solid, good separation, bit bright", "Another good speaker, maybe too bright in the mids".

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #68 on: 29 Sep 2010, 05:52 pm »
I read these comments and I must admit that I am a bit puzzled by them. Granted I have the Granduer which uses the revelator bass/midrange rather than the illuminator that is in the Verita. But I would expect the "house" sound to be quite similar between the two.

My personal experience with my speakers is that I hear none of the "negative" characteristics that were described in the summary. My Granduers are not silibant, they do not have a clouded top end.

They certainly don't lack weight, or lack bass and I can't imagine that someone could consider them thin sounding.

I am not criticizing how things were done, and I realize that speaker preferences are a very personal thing, but I have been trying to understand why there is a difference between my views and others.

One explaination could be simply position of the listener in the room. It was mentioned that all speakers were toed in the same amount, but I think Rick makes his speakers to be positioned straight ahead.

I am not surprised that one of the comments about the treble is slightly bright and missing something. I actually thought the Granduers were slightly unexciting in the treble until I realized that what was missing was grain, distortion or any artifacts in the treble. In a short listening session I can see how that could be the case. As for the lack of weight and thinness in the midrange, the same thing could be happening. Perhaps the Illuminator is simply not adding any character to the sound (which my revelators might do) and the absence of that character is interpreted as something missing.

I think the comparison is interesting and while I had hoped that everyone would go wow, thsese are the best speakers I've ever heard, I understand that if they are anything like my Granduers, the Verita's are probably speakers that you would do well to listen to for an extended period of time. The more I listen, the more I appreciate my Granduers.

Just wanted to put to keyboard some of the things I've been thinking since I read the summary.

Chuck

pslate

« Reply #69 on: 29 Sep 2010, 07:52 pm »
I went from Ascend to Selah and am also puzzled by the comments. :scratch:

Stuart

« Reply #70 on: 29 Sep 2010, 08:05 pm »
Rick has been doing some serious work for me over the past year or so and although they have not included any of the Raal tweets, none of them have been bright, clouded or lacking, infact far from it. His work is nothing short of brilliant and each design has been detailed and very well integrated. They have had nothing but the highest praise from all that have heard them and this includes people with very high end systems indeed.

music lover

« Reply #71 on: 29 Sep 2010, 08:43 pm »
I have the Tempestas, and they are well integrated , balanced from top to bottom , with a full, detailed sound and great bass.

These are the best speakers that I have had and I am very happy with my purchase. In my opinion, these speakers sound best with

at least 100 watts or more to power them. I'm using a CJ tube Pre-amp with a 100 watt solid state amp. It is not thin sounding or

veiled at the top or mids at all. Music Lover

standub

« Reply #72 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:27 am »
Yeah the "Sibilant" seems weird since that's the best part about the RAAL; in that it has none.  :scratch:  I can understand the bright comment since it was the first time hearing the music and some may have not heard the RAAL before.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #73 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:43 am »
Anything coming from the Audioholics crew doesn't surpirse me in the least and in this readers opinion is better left ignored. They have very little credibility for me personally and it's 1 website I have totally ignored for quite a while now.

YMMV.  8)

Cheeers,
Robin

Mudslide

« Reply #74 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:46 am »
Anything coming from the Audioholics crew doesn't surpirse me in the least and in this readers opinion is better left ignored. They have very little credibility for me personally and it's 1 website I have totally ignored for quite a while now.

YMMV.  8)

Cheeers,
Robin

You might note that the none of auditioners at this event were "Audioholics crew".  The person hosting the event works for the Audioholics e-store but he wasn't involved in the auditioning.  The quoted comments were taken directly from neutral, blinded, listener audition papers.  You are welcome to close your eyes and ears to anything you please.  But to paint a broad brush of incompetence over something about which you have zero knowledge doesn't indicate much in the way open-mindedness or thirst for knowledge on your part, Robin.  Nor do you seem to wish critical discussion or debate.  In fact, I doubt you read the entire thread.

But sadly, that's the way it is with a few in this hobby.

It is clear in that thread I have taken pains to suggest the subjective nature of loudspeaker preference, the random and impossible-to-optimize nature of speaker placement and multiple off-axis listening positions, and the peculiarity of the auditioning room.  If it is your idea that the approach we took should be ignored or dismissed out of hand...well, lots of luck to you and your credibility in the audio world.  Insulting people in forums will not take you far, either.

I will comment here that the Veritas distinguished themselves quite well, and some of you are reading the posts out of context.  As in real life, there are no perfect speakers there.  The auditioners were generally very seasoned and critical listeners that faulted each and every pair to some extent.  The bar was set very high with some quality loudspeakers that the Veritas were being compared to.  Also the Veritas were the only pair that wore ribbon tweeters.  So they stood out in ways that perhaps wasn't as desirable to the majority of auditioners.  But that's for discussion with others and not for response to lame-blame comments such as the above.

Mudslide

« Reply #75 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:11 am »
Yeah the "Sibilant" seems weird since that's the best part about the RAAL; in that it has none.  :scratch:  I can understand the bright comment since it was the first time hearing the music and some may have not heard the RAAL before.

I have heard the RAAL before and was excited to audition Rick's implementation.  I think the RAAL is simply the finest tweeter available right now.  I just reviewed my GTG audition papers, and the only negative comment I made about the Veritas was the hot high end (which was a common theme in the reports).  That...in spite of my preference for the driver.  So placement could certainly have been an issue that would need attention.  All my other comments (except one "just a hint of resonance but not bad") were "very good" to "excellent".

The Veritas are really nice speakers which acquitted themselves quite well against other quality pairs.  If I needed a new monitor set, I wouldn't hesitate at all putting my money down for a pair of Rick's offerings.  I really liked them, but as I mentioned earlier, it may be that ribbons are not some of the auditioners' cup o' tea.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #76 on: 1 Oct 2010, 04:53 pm »
Ok - here's a great deal - you can buy this pair for $1,700 today.  :thumb:

This includes shipping to the mainland USA and the order must be placed by the end of the day (October 1st). We also have a full 45-day free trial period and if you're not satisfied you can return the speakers for a full refund.

Mudslide

« Reply #77 on: 1 Oct 2010, 05:58 pm »
Ok - here's a great deal - you can buy this pair for $1,700 today.  :thumb:

This includes shipping to the mainland USA and the order must be placed by the end of the day (October 1st). We also have a full 45-day free trial period and if you're not satisfied you can return the speakers for a full refund.

That's a heckuva deal!!  Someone should snag those pronto!   :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #78 on: 6 Oct 2010, 04:41 pm »
I've been reading all of the posts concerning the Audioholics event and am gathering my thoughts to make a response. One thing I will say is that I encourage this to be an open circle and welcome all opinions.

ricardojoa

« Reply #79 on: 12 Oct 2010, 03:42 am »
Here's a nearfield bass response curve for the ported version of the Verita. The output is only -10db @26hz which is exceptionally good for a 7" woofer. Combined with the detail and resolution of the bass this is our new reference standard for a driver of this size.

Rick,
I might be confused, but  your website stated the veritas for ported version goes down to F10 35HZ, while this graph indicates F10 of 26HZ. Is this the difference between near field and anechoic measurements? Thanks