Verita

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Verita
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
For optimal performance and reliability reasons I don't like having a switch in the signal path.

guest1632

« Reply #101 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:54 pm »
For optimal performance and reliability reasons I don't like having a switch in the signal path.

I can certainly understand that. It was just a suggestion. So if someone buys your new speakers, are they gonna get the flat response version, or the rolled off version?

Ray

ttan98

« Reply #102 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:31 am »
And our latest review...

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154:selah-audio-verita-loudspeakers&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

Hi Rick,

Soundstage measurements of the Raal Ribbon Verita show that the high frequency response starts to roll off after 8 Khz(on axis measurement refer to website below) any particular reason why you design this way for the RAAL tweeter?
If I remember correctly when you use dome tweeter on your past designs they show  a rise in the high freq. response  when measured on-axis. Why the contrast with the Ribbon tweeter?

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=431:nrc-measurements-selah-audio-verita-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=18

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #103 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:50 pm »
I can certainly understand that. It was just a suggestion. So if someone buys your new speakers, are they gonna get the flat response version, or the rolled off version?

Ray

I like to work with the customer to determine which is the best fit for their system. Not everyone has the same taste or type of listening room. For most situations in terms of placement and based on my experience over several years the review pair is the voicing most listeners would prefer. Keep in mind I don't find this to be "rolled off" - I guess that makes me think of "euphonic" or laid back which I don't consider these speakers to be. Many people at the shows commented how neutral they were.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #104 on: 13 Jan 2011, 08:11 pm »
Depends on the tweeter's dispersion over different angles, both horizontal and vertical. With ribbons this can vary for a number of reasons - the transformer, length / width of the ribbon element, faceplate / horn loading, ribbon mass, etc. plus the usual interaction with the baffle. The bass extension also can influence the voicing. An example would be a small mini-monitor where shelving down the highs some might be desirable in order to have good balance over the whole spectrum.

Hi Rick,

Soundstage measurements of the Raal Ribbon Verita show that the high frequency response starts to roll off after 8 Khz(on axis measurement refer to website below) any particular reason why you design this way for the RAAL tweeter?
If I remember correctly when you use dome tweeter on your past designs they show  a rise in the high freq. response  when measured on-axis. Why the contrast with the Ribbon tweeter?

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=431:nrc-measurements-selah-audio-verita-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=18

ttan98

« Reply #105 on: 13 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm »
Depends on the tweeter's dispersion over different angles, both horizontal and vertical. With ribbons this can vary for a number of reasons - the transformer, length / width of the ribbon element, faceplate / horn loading, ribbon mass, etc. plus the usual interaction with the baffle. The bass extension also can influence the voicing. An example would be a small mini-monitor where shelving down the highs some might be desirable in order to have good balance over the whole spectrum.

I use HI-VI 8RTII ribbon in an OB configuration and I design the the freq. response to be flat on axis and because the directivity is not particular good the response falls off quickly off axis. I found the flat response on axis to be quite adequate in my case.

Mudslide

« Reply #106 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:05 pm »
Hey Rick....

So what special tweaking did you do to the crossovers on the GTG Veritas?

Good cheer,

Mud

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #107 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:29 pm »
Hey Rick....

So what special tweaking did you do to the crossovers on the GTG Veritas?

Good cheer,

Mud
Sorry for my late reply. I changed the vertical directivity.

hikinokie

« Reply #108 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:57 pm »
Hi Rick,

The Raal Veritas roll off at 8Khz? :(   I though 20Khz was the norm.  I'm 52 years old but at my last hearing test the tech said I have the hearing of a dog. Hate to think I'd be missing out on the tiniest tinkling bells etc.

kip_

« Reply #109 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:49 pm »
The Raal Veritas roll off at 8Khz?    I though 20Khz was the norm.  I'm 52 years old but at my last hearing test the tech said I have the hearing of a dog. Hate to think I'd be missing out on the tiniest tinkling bells etc.

On axis they are only down about 2db at 20k. They're down more off-axis, of course.

pslate

« Reply #110 on: 28 Apr 2011, 04:35 pm »
Veritas will be headed my way in a few weeks :D
I'm giddy with excitement!! Cstory, I'm officially joining the multiple Selah speaker club!!

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #111 on: 28 Apr 2011, 08:29 pm »
Congratulations on the Verita's.  :green: They are really good speakers.

Did you get the sealed or ported version?

I would like to hear the Verita's sometime to see how they compare to the Grandeurs. I am curious to hear what the difference is between the Revelator woofer and the alumimum Illuminators. I just don't know anyone near Northeast Ohio that has a pair.

Cue Tom Petty. "The waiting is the hardest part."  :lol:

pslate

« Reply #112 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:53 pm »
 :thumb: You hit the nail on the head with the song reference. Mine are going to be ported!!

pslate

« Reply #113 on: 11 May 2011, 01:11 pm »
Fired up the Veritas last night  :thumb:
My best friend from back home arrived last night too, great tickets for Cubs Cards tomorrow, so life is pretty good!
A very brief impression is that they are very smooth, offering exceptional resolution. I was in the kitchen and was thinking if they were playing too loud in the living room (apartment life), nope just great off axis response. The kitchen is down a hall too. I didn't get to test bass response yet. The combination of musicality and resolution is incredible. I know compromises must be made with every design, or at least fixed factors must be balanced, but I feel like I may be getting it all here, super smooth, with all the detail I could hope for. I'll post more when I have some real time in on these guys.

edit: I forgot to add, thank you Rick!!!

pslate

« Reply #114 on: 22 May 2011, 11:40 pm »
The Verita speakers are everything I hoped they would be. My wife and I returned last evening from a brief trip together, and it was very nice to return home to such good sound. I played the new Cee Lo Green album that she enjoys and we were both immediately sucked in. There are some very good tracks later on in the album, however the recording/mastering was done similarly to a lot of modern rap music, a lot of tunes seem to sound like distortion. With the Veritas I could tell what tricks were being played, in other speakers I just bristled at the sound. It was great that all of the information of the recording was clearly translated to me. We then moved on to Otis Redding and things started sounding really good. My experience with Selah speakers, is that they are highly neutral, and can play any genre of music, but there is something very special about what they do with R&B and Jazz. I have never heard music in this vein sound better, there is an indescribable magic. We finished things up with Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and were stunned. Some of the most fun we have ever had listening to music together. Finally I would like to say that the ported versions sensitivity is much better than I thought it would be. Tripath TK2050 power is fine for my needs, I thought I would need a new amp, but I am very satisfied with what I have now. The Veritas are very special speakers :thumb: