What if?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: What if?
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jan 2010, 01:03 am »
Made in Canada means "final assembly" takes place in a Canadian plant.  The source of the Toyota recalls is the gas pedal assembly on all models.  This assembly in manufactured in, that's right you guessed it, China.  So the Toyota situation is a perfect example of what this thread is saying.  Why would Toyota choose to build its cars in one of the world's greatest countries and take a chance on including even one Chinese component (especially one that can propel the car forward uncontrolabley)? :scratch:

Hello Bill,

I had the news on up here last evening and I thought that they said the problem part was manufactured in the United States and that they were going to ship replacement parts in from Japan to correct the problem. Could be wrong as I was walking in and out of the room and did not hear the whole report.

Be well...

geezer

« Reply #61 on: 29 Jan 2010, 01:20 am »
Hello Bill,

I had the news on up here last evening and I thought that they said the problem part was manufactured in the United States and that they were going to ship replacement parts in from Japan to correct the problem. Could be wrong as I was walking in and out of the room and did not hear the whole report.

Be well...

Right. I read the same report.

Laundrew

« Reply #62 on: 29 Jan 2010, 01:27 am »
Hello Bill,

Be well...

Faulty part made in Ontario

The faulty gas pedal, which has a tendency to stick over time, was manufactured in a plant in Mississauga, Ont., owned by Toyota supplier CTS Corp., Toyota says.

10,000 apologies Bill, I was wrong.  :oops:

I just picked up a news feed and the problem part was made up here in Ontario.

Humbly bows, presses forehead to ground - seeks forgiveness :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Be well...

95Dyna

« Reply #63 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:20 am »
Faulty part made in Ontario

The faulty gas pedal, which has a tendency to stick over time, was manufactured in a plant in Mississauga, Ont., owned by Toyota supplier CTS Corp., Toyota says.

10,000 apologies Bill, I was wrong.  :oops:

I just picked up a news feed and the problem part was made up here in Ontario.

Humbly bows, presses forehead to ground - seeks forgiveness :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Be well...

Andy,

I heard the "made in China" claim on a national news network broadcast today.  I since have read that CTS Corp. of Elkhart, Indiana is the manufacturer.  Now you are telling me the CTS plant is in Ontario.  Who knows what the truth is at this point.  I guess we should drop the Toyota situation as an example of the perils of buying Chinese made products contracted by North American companies.  None of this confusion changes the validity of what we have been discussing in your thread and it's a good point you bring up.

Bill

Laundrew

« Reply #64 on: 29 Jan 2010, 04:35 am »
Andy,

I heard the "made in China" claim on a national news network broadcast today.  I since have read that CTS Corp. of Elkhart, Indiana is the manufacturer.  Now you are telling me the CTS plant is in Ontario.  Who knows what the truth is at this point.  I guess we should drop the Toyota situation as an example of the perils of buying Chinese made products contracted by North American companies.  None of this confusion changes the validity of what we have been discussing in your thread and it's a good point you bring up.

Bill

Umm.. does that mean I was half right or half wrong or maybe some where in the middle :scratch:

Right you are Bill  :thumb:

Be well...

Moon Doggy

« Reply #65 on: 29 Jan 2010, 04:40 am »
The Future? "Designed in China. Made in Ontario"  :icon_twisted:

1ZIP

« Reply #66 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:11 am »
My 4Runner is not on the recall list but I'm to go talk to my mechanic and find out the real story here.  Because I've heard the the floor mat problem had something to do with the mat riding forward and the lower part of the pedal getting stuck underneath the map thus not allowing deceleration when the foot was lifted.  If so this not a QC issue it is a design issue.  There is another problem that may or not be a QC problem but also may be a design problem.  There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on the latter.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:22 am »
Many cars are programmed so that as soon as the brake pedal is pressed, the fuel/throttles are automatically returned to a state similar to "idle".

The latest Car and Driver article has a test where they test a variety of cars with full throttle and trying to stop the car with the brakes.  It's an interesting article.

Every car, except a Roush 500+ hp Mustang was capable of stopping the car with the brakes.  The Mustang eventually slowed to 10 mph (from 100mph).

In my opinion, if Toyota has sensors on the throttle body measuring airflow or pedal position, they need to return the motor to idle when the brakes are applied.

That may be as simple as a programming change to the engine computer or they may need to add sensor capability.  In either case, I'd be a little bit nervous about how much quality assurance testing they've been able to do, on short notice, for an engineering change of this significant.

Toyota is getting a lot of negative publicity on this and it'll take them a while to recover from this. There could be great deals on new Toyota's a couple of months from now.

HsvHeelFan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

1ZIP

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:55 pm »
With regards to China and my fellow pilots:

"Cessna SkyCatcher customers have learned in a letter from Cessna Aircraft Co. that deliveries will be delayed six to 10 months from promised dates. The factory in Shenyang, China, must be retooled to accommodate changes made to the aircraft to improve spin recovery performance."  per AOPA

Also, I heard today that we (US) now have borrowed more from China than we have borrowed from ourselves! 

turkey

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jan 2010, 05:43 pm »
Right Charles and Toyota is going to be shelling out boatloads of moola to fix this mess.  I wonder how the cost would compare to having the gas pedal assembly manufactured in Canada/US/Japan et al in the first place.  And the monetary cost is just the beginning, what's this going to do with their hard earned reputation.

The pedal assembly was made by CTS, which has facilities in the US, Europe, and Japan. I didn't see anything indicating it was China that was at fault.

In fact, there's a comment by CTS that says it was a design flaw, not a manufacturing one.

"CTS stated that since the problem of sudden unintended acceleration has been reported to have existed in some Lexus vehicles and Toyota vehicles going back to 1999 when CTS did not even make this product for any customer, CTS believes that the rare slow return pedal phenomenon, which may occur in extreme environmental conditions, should absolutely not be linked with any sudden unintended acceleration incidents.  CTS is also not aware of any accidents and injuries caused by the rare slow return pedal condition, to the best of its knowledge.  CTS wishes to clarify that it does not, and has never made, any accelerator pedals for Lexus vehicles and that CTS also has no accelerator pedals in Toyota vehicles prior to model year 2005.

“We are disappointed that, despite these facts, CTS accelerator pedals have been frequently associated with the sudden unintended acceleration problems and incidents in various media reports,” said Dennis Thornton, CTS Vice President and General Manager of Automotive Products Group.  Toyota itself has also publically stated that this recall is separate from the earlier recalls which were done to remedy sudden acceleration in vehicles."

Laundrew

« Reply #71 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:38 pm »
I was at a “Big Box” store a few days ago and I was looking at some hand tools. I could not see any indication where these tools were manufactured. The only remark on the Label was “Imported For…” I e-mailed an inquiry to their customer service department and requested they inform me of the country of manufacture.

I received a reply from them today and they thanked me for my question and told me they have basically numerous suppliers. I e-mailed them again and informed them that it was a simple question which deserved a simple answer, and asked once again where these hand tools we manufactured.

Corporations make an informed decision to buy offshore - why are they so reluctant to answer a simple question? I wonder what will be their next reply.

:scratch:

Be well… 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #72 on: 30 Jan 2010, 04:54 pm »
The existing busines in audio model IMO needs some tweaking. I would love to see a "Bryston" store in NYC. Yes just Bryston gear and the speaker line or lines that enhance the Bryston sound. Package deals on complete systems. Synergy up the ying yang. Even their own cabling. A system for every budget. A trade up mechcanism and a "Pre Owned" with warrantee division. Best of all worlds under one roof with proper marketing to bring the average Joe in as well as us nuts. A thought anyway.

charles

Charles,

a Bryston store would be cool. i understand that Bryston can't have stores around the world...but one store in the GTA should be doable? that way the products can reach more customers as well?!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:04 pm »
Hi Guys,

If any small specialty manufacturer opened their own store the rest of the quality retailers would drop the line overnight.  Unless your a 'Sony' it won't fly.

james

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:25 pm »
Hi Guys,

If any small specialty manufacturer opened their own store the rest of the quality retailers would drop the line overnight.  Unless your a 'Sony' it won't fly.

james

IMo your company is known worldwide for what it does. A Bryston store would only enhance your rep and more importantly bring it to mainstream buyers.
  Do you really think that retailer is going to push your product over another ? Besides a 40% saving could be had. In home demos and financing of systems makes more sales.  If the customer can afford that monthly payment IT IS SOLD.  If I was interested in a 28B Preamp and DAC Torus and so on a monthly payment would secure the deal in a flash. Maybe Bryston could offer financing through a bank.
  I guess in the end its easier to sell to a dealer with no concern after innitial dealer purchase. Except customer support that is which IMO Bryston is the King. Actually do not require service much at all. A good product is a good product.
  Your gear sells itself. My take anyway.

charles

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #75 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:29 pm »
  IMo your company is known worldwide for what it does. A Bryston store would only enhance your rep and more importantly bring it to mainstream buyers.
  Do you really think that retailer is going to push your product over another ? Besides a 40% saving could be had. In home demos and financing of systems makes more sales.  If the customer can afford that monthly payment IT IS SOLD.  If I was interested in a 28B Preamp and DAC Torus and so on a monthly payment would secure the deal in a flash. Maybe Bryston could offer financing through a bank.
  I guess in the end its easier to sell to a dealer with no concern after innitial dealer purchase. Except customer support that is which IMO Bryston is the King. Actually do not require service much at all. A good product is a good product.
  Your gear sells itself. My take anyway.

charles

Hi Charles

What you have to understand is the 40% is there to run the store :)

james

VOLKS

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:42 pm »
The thought of a "Bryston Store" makes me ill when i think of "The Sony Store"......It would be tacky/cliche and would serve no purpose to promote the Product in a positive way........Sony Store......Bose Store.......Bryston Store?I love Bryston,but please lets keep it in the hands of the Dealers who have been there for us thru and thru........"The Byston Store"....whats next bryston "Made in China"?  a "Bryston Credit Card"? the Customer Service # of Bryston in India?........Might as wll make the final video cross over and get LG to make a TV  and re-badge it as Bryston.......my stomache is Ill.....i need some Pepto Bismo.......

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:59 pm »
The thought of a "Bryston Store" makes me ill when i think of "The Sony Store"......It would be tacky/cliche and would serve no purpose to promote the Product in a positive way........Sony Store......Bose Store.......Bryston Store?I love Bryston,but please lets keep it in the hands of the Dealers who have been there for us thru and thru........"The Byston Store"....whats next bryston "Made in China"?  a "Bryston Credit Card"? the Customer Service # of Bryston in India?........Might as wll make the final video cross over and get LG to make a TV  and re-badge it as Bryston.......my stomache is Ill.....i need some Pepto Bismo.......

...what about Bryston wallpaper?

al.

ralph1950

« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:47 pm »
I would probably not purchase equiptment from Bryston then.  Although there may not be a choice when buying needed products.  I do not like backing the economy of  communist countries while watching the free countries people loose their jobs.  Nothing against the people of China, it is just their ruling party that is intent on ruling the world.   I would and always buy from our nearest neighbors.  Bryston, and General tool mfg. to be a few.   But, that is only my opinion.