The easy way to make a $3000 CD player

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: The easy way to make a $3000 CD player
« Reply #120 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:30 am »
Saw this too on his site that made me laugh out loud:

"All major credit cards accepted, as well as personal checks, cash, money orders, PayPal or bank wire transfers."   

:lol:

Not one measurement at all. Enough ranting, I know he is a quack and has certainly not heard of the NRC or Toole, etc...

Marketing  :roll:

Anand.

srb

« Reply #121 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:34 am »
It’s the same amp.  You can even see a covered up Dayton logo (D) on the front of the amp on Linn audio’s website.  Heck, the “high end interconnect” cables on Linn’s site are also Daytons.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-652
What a joke!!

I see, I didn't scroll down to the second amp, the LANH 150.  I guess I was mesmerized by the topline LANH 500.  It's designed in Germany!  And he does say "We have modified this amp to be sure that all components are high-end audiophile preferred.  Other than these components all the others were already of audiophile grade."  (Must have found a couple of resistors that weren't audiophile grade.)

I'm learning a lot about rebranding and rebadging.  At least Lexicon didn't just cover up the logo.  They actually took the time and expense to hide it within a whole additional enclosure.

It does make you wonder what might be lurking behind the front panel of other Lexicon components, though.  Luckily, I came across this recent x-ray spy photo.

Steve

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2010, 05:20 pm by srb »

Brett Buck

« Reply #122 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:56 am »
The well of audiophile nonsense runs deep but I really want to think this is at least a semi-joke...it has to be, right? Right guys?  :banghead:

"Mr. Linn has an obsession with eliminating distortion in his systems.  He has a very sensitive ear for distortion, a unique and probably his greatest talent, that far surpasses the information that can be had from test instruments alone."

God, I hope it's a joke. And this particular installation  is going to be super-excellent in terms of frequency response and distortion:

http://123triadpro.com/triad09/linn_audio/version-1/images/photogallery/large_img/shutterstock_31716889c.jpg

Needs to get out his electrical engineering book and look up the phrase "cavity resonance". And note that even though the speakers block the windows, you can see the entire window in the reflection on the floor.

Brett

p.s. this is the site that keeps on giving - Enjoy the following quote:

Here is pictured our high-power amp, front and rear.  It is designed in Germany, with a basically very good structure and use of components.  It as a massive toroidal power transformer, as well as all discreet components in the signal path.   Discreet?  As in, stealthy or able to keep a secret? Nice professional site, maybe he learned English in Germany. The other amp still has the "D" logo (for Dayton) in the upper left corner. I think he sort of intends to imply that it's highly modified.

The "photoshopping" in the gallery seems to have been done with scissors and a Sears catalog. Looks sort of like a ransom note. Great Fun!

turkey

« Reply #123 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:12 pm »

I am with Brett regarding the audio industry. THIS board is different, as you may notice.

I haven't noticed that. I see the same stuff here that I see elsewhere. It's just generally more polite here than AA, for instance.

turkey

« Reply #124 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:21 pm »

The "photoshopping" in the gallery seems to have been done with scissors and a Sears catalog. Looks sort of like a ransom note. Great Fun!

The whole site just screams the fact that he views his customers as suckers waiting to be fleeced. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other vendors that think the same thing but are more polished in their presentation. A lot of "high-end" products are like that. Then there are things like the teleportation tweak...

TjMV3

« Reply #125 on: 20 Jan 2010, 07:51 pm »
At Lexicon, it seems their new reputation is to take off the shelf circuits and put them in a brand new chassis wrapper at an outrageous cost.

It appears they are taking the whole Oppo chassis and shoving it in their apparently magical new chassis.  Why bother with messy circuits,  when you can just take the whole thing and place it in a new box.

trebejo

« Reply #126 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:49 pm »
So... any news on which chassis has a more involving laid back tonally balanced sound??  :icon_twisted:

turkey

« Reply #127 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:03 pm »
It appears they are taking the whole Oppo chassis and shoving it in their apparently magical new chassis.  Why bother with messy circuits,  when you can just take the whole thing and place it in a new box.

It's all about vibration and resonance control. It turns a good DVD player into an expensive one.

stereocilia

« Reply #128 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:32 pm »
Here is another example of "re-branding" posted by Hotsauce on Audiophiletalk.

First see this link:

http://www.linnaudionh.com/amplifiers.html

Now see what appears to be the same products here for a fraction of the cost:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812

http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/A500.aspx

The labels on the PE amp appear to crossed off in magic marker.
:o

Also, that Dayton amp looks a little too similar to the Jamo MPA-101:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=441248&is=REG

Not identical, but really, it has to be more than blind chance.

werd

« Reply #129 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:55 am »
That Lexicon blue ray is sure to win some awards this year. And the best blue ray clone award goes to..... wait for it........  LEXICON...  :lol:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #130 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:36 am »
That Lexicon blue ray is sure to win some awards this year. And the best blue ray clone award goes to..... wait for it........  LEXICON...  :lol:

I have just been informed that Lexicon has adopted a transitional corporate name of LEXICOPY, until later in the year, when the name will be changed to LEXICONARTIST. Additionally, the BD-30 will be designated the LEXICLONE.  Also, Mr. T. has signed on to become Lexicon's spokesperson, and in the promotional materials, he refers to Lexicon customers with his trademark statement, "Pity the Fool".  Lexicon has also developed an inside marketing strategy that has been code named the LEXI-SCREW. As part of the new marketing strategy, Lexicon's President will have the code name, Pimp, and the other employees will all be referred to by a different code name.

Lastly, Lexicon has reported that relabeling other manufacturers' products and passing them off as their own has become too expensive, and they have decided to adopt Linn Audio New Hampshire's practice of merely covering the other manufacturers' labels with a sharpie.  Lexicon maintains that this is not illegal because it happens all the time and everyone knows about it.  They also consider Mr. T's statement, "Pity the Fool", as both legal notice and a disclaimer, in the event that there are some future legal issues. 

pardales

« Reply #131 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:43 am »
I have just been informed that Lexicon has adopted a transitional corporate name of LEXICOPY, until later in the year, when the name will be changed to LEXICONARTIST. Additionally, the BD-30 will be designated the LEXICLONE.  Also, Mr. T. has signed on to become Lexicon's spokesperson, and in the promotional materials, he refers to Lexicon customers with his trademark statement, "Pity the Fool".  Lexicon has also developed an inside marketing strategy that has been code named the LEXI-SCREW. As part of the new marketing strategy, Lexicon's President will have the code name, Pimp, and the other employees will all be referred to by a different code name.

Lastly, Lexicon has reported that relabeling other manufacturers' products and passing them off as their own has become too expensive, and they have decided to adopt Linn Audio New Hampshire's practice of merely covering the other manufacturers' labels with a sharpie.  Lexicon maintains that this is not illegal because it happens all the time and everyone knows about it.  They also consider Mr. T's statement, "Pity the Fool", as both legal notice and a disclaimer, in the event that there are some future legal issues. 

:lol:

TjMV3

« Reply #132 on: 22 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm »
"Clone" seems to imply LexiCON actually did some work to replicate the Oppo player. 

That's certainly not true. 

I think of LexiCON as more of a very expensive....re-gifter :lol:

Same item.......placed into a another box,  new shiney bow (faceplate) ......Re-Gifted.

modular747

« Reply #133 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:46 am »
Same item.......placed into a another box,  new shiney bow (faceplate) ......Re-Gifted.

And they get you to pay them dearly so you can be the recipient of that (re)gift!  What a deal!

avahifi

« Reply #134 on: 23 Jan 2010, 03:18 pm »
Years ago I was told that the cheap way to get rid of your garbage was to wrap it in a nice box and leave it on a seat on the bus.

Poor Lexicon customers, it seems the technique has been mis-applied. :(

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #135 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:28 am »
No intent to call OPPO garbage here, its not, I have an OPPO Blue Ray player and it is an outstanding performer (other than its self removing power cord).

The point is that most still think more about the wrappings than the content as Lexicon's business model seems to confirm.

Which would you rather have a Ford Pinto that looked like a Lexus, or a Lexus that looked like a Ford Pinto?

Frank Van Alstine

boycephoto

« Reply #136 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:48 am »
Hey Frank, 

Sounds like you should do a little reverse engineering and come up with a captive AC cord modification for the Oppo. :idea:
You could charge $25 for Oppo upgrade and $3000 for the Lexicon!   :icon_lol:

Dave

modular747

« Reply #137 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:27 am »
Which would you rather have a Ford Pinto that looked like a Lexus, or a Lexus that looked like a Ford Pinto?

Isn't it better to look good than to feel good?

markC

« Reply #138 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:45 am »
 I would think that someone with Frank's talent could just fix the power cord issue and market it, rather than rant about it over and over. Come on Frank, it's an easy fix!
I mean it has to have some draw backs, it's an Oppo not a Lexicon!