New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review

Eric

Re: New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review
« Reply #80 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:25 pm »
Reviews are always interesting. When it is good, no one questions anyones ear, or equipment etc. As with all opinions, these things are subjective.

turkey

« Reply #81 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:22 pm »
I have been reading Stereophile on and off for many years, and I do like Mr.
Fremers analogue corner. I do believe that he is totally honest with his findings
when he reviews a component in his system. He would be doing the reader a disservice by writing a false review. I just don't believe he would do that. He is
a very respectable reviewer in the industry, and a true audio enthusiast.

You have got to be kidding. Fremer is respected? By who?

turkey

« Reply #82 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:33 pm »
Hi James, I read that to, and I'm sure Benjamin would be very,very picky about how he likes his sound.Just like a piece somebody was playing if it wasn't on the money,you'de do it again or change gear.Alicia keyes,Ray Charles,Stevie Wonder,EarthWind&Fire,Steve Winwood,they wouldn't be using Bryston if it didn't do justice to their MUSIC,let alone all the studios ,sound productions ect.These guys I'd love to be around for 6 months.Hell It be great to visit Bryston and see what's happenin+how it's done.And then to top it off
trek over to James place to check out his rooms while he's tending the Texas BBQ and say Howdy.Conductors, musicians,James, ect,those folks I take notice.
You can't put a price on people that have been around the music,movie industry
for 30 or more years as there is tons of info they have and are willin to  share
and they love it,with no ego :thumb:

I've found that many people in the music business really aren't good judges of equipment. I think part of that is that they "hear through" the equipment to the original performance.

The reason I used Bryston in the studio was that it was ultra-reliable, and sounded as good or better than anything else on the pro market. (Crown was quite reliable too, but it had a bit of a brittle SS sound to it, and this even showed up during blind testing.)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:37 pm »
Hi Turkey - gee's I hate calling you that!

What studio are you with?

james

turkey

« Reply #84 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:41 pm »

I certainly do not have all the answers but as a company we try to build the most accurate gear we can given the current state of the art.  Obviously it is up to each individual to decide whether we succeed or fail at our task. What I can say with certainty though is that amplifying the waveform as accurately as possible is the only approach that makes sense to Bryston.

Well-engineered and over-built is how I think of Bryston. How does it sound? Perfectly fine, but so does a lot of lesser equipment.

drummermitchell

« Reply #85 on: 22 Dec 2009, 02:55 pm »
That's basically what I was trying to say is that musicians(not all),
HEAR the MUSIC aa,hopefully not the gear.To my ears Bryston disappears and
lets you get down to what's important the sound(s),emotions,of music.
I'm good till I drop as far as upgrades are concerned,We'll maybe we'll check out
the SP-3,and,and,and,jeez this is fun+pricey :o.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:52 pm »
Regarding how musicians tend to assess audio I have an interesting story for you.
About 15 years ago I did a recording with Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Benny Carter and Clark Terry – they even gave me recognition on the CD liner notes –(hey my 15 minutes of fame aye). Anyway during the recording session Oscar came into the control room and asked to listen to the few tracks we had just completed. After he listen for a while I asked him – “Oscar what exactly is it your listen for?”  He said “just making sure the timing is correct between us four”.

So the quality of the studio playback system seemed irrelevant to him as he was concentrating on other issues. Obviously some level of quality was required but not the nit-picking we audio types tend to obsess over.

James

PS – at the time Oscar had a Magnepan and Bryston setup at home

1oldguy

« Reply #87 on: 22 Dec 2009, 03:58 pm »
Hi James

I think we are a fussy bunch no doubt. aa

turkey

« Reply #88 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:07 pm »
Hi James

I think we are a fussy bunch no doubt. aa

Sometimes too fussy. I have seen too many people obsess over little things while ignoring the very large and very real problems with their systems or listening rooms (especially listening rooms).

danman

« Reply #89 on: 23 Dec 2009, 12:35 am »
Up to this point I have been just reading this thread and asking myself should I comment or not?

As the proud owner of Martin Logan speakers tagged with a 4BSST2, I know a thing or two about comments of irregularity with components. Some of you may remember the encounter we had with our "friend" concerning the CLX in Montreal last Spring and how we ended up having to defend our beloved Bryston and James from personal insults. Thank God that has blown away but now comes this ridiculous review about the 7BSST2!!!!!!!

Many times I have heard comments about my choice of electronics with my speakers and how I could do better yadda yadda......... For some unknown reason, there are those that think I am mismatched! I have been lucky enough to have heard my speakers with many good brands......YBA, McIntosh and others but to my ears the Brystons had all of their qualities and more. I cannot say they were better or worse as that would be like saying Toyota is better than Honda but they drove my speakers much better and cleaner and James put his finger on it when he mentioned the lower noise floor! I also think this is what did it for me.

The article is in my opinion way off the mark and something is not right! I am one that does not listen to one persons opinion especially an audio magazine that is basically run by sponsors and always trust my own judgment. There is a heck of a lot of good gear out there and my point is not to downplay a certain make but I chose Bryston for specific reasons that no magazine will change. First came the way they drove my ML's, second was the way James introduced me to the brand and third the overall service and 20 year warranty.

I have never heard Bryston with many of your choices of speakers so I cannot comment but I have owned some good makes but nothing like electrostatics to my ears so I had to base my electronic purchases around their needs. Not really sure how he judged the 7B the way he did but I really wish I had 8000$ extra to buy them because they would be in my sound room for sure! I think maybe he should of not knocked down the amps and maybe looked more into the choice of speaker and maybe realized something was not to his liking from that aspect!

Tagman

« Reply #90 on: 23 Dec 2009, 12:49 am »
I have been reading Stereophile on and off for many years, and I do like Mr.
Fremers analogue corner. I do believe that he is totally honest with his findings
when he reviews a component in his system. He would be doing the reader a disservice by writing a false review. I just don't believe he would do that. He is
a very respectable reviewer in the industry, and a true audio enthusiast.

You have got to be kidding. Fremer is respected? By who?

He's is respected by people who don't like to have smoke blown up there azz.
He is also well liked by audiophiles who hate to have the reviews of products
they own sugar coated even if they do not sound good.

I just cannot believe this thread!! 3 days ago there was seven pages of feedback on this topic. Now I see five pages because some of the criticisms
including my own were deleted out. What the hell is this? Big Brother!!!!!!
Shame on The Bryston group for letting this happen!!
 What the hell is the matter? You guys decide what people should and
should not read about your products? ! This is such bull sh-t!!  Seeya

danman

« Reply #91 on: 23 Dec 2009, 12:57 am »
yes we should be ashamed for defending what we think (or rather know!) is a strange article!
It is not the idea of being one sided as almost all of us have owned many brands other than Bryston but rather the comments about his perceived faults of the 7B seem off! But you are right, those are OUR opinions only but what do you expect when you come to a Bryston site??

Tagman

« Reply #92 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:04 am »
What I want to know is what happened to the 3 pages  of posts that were
deleted on this thread???? What is it, when something is written about a
Bryston product that is not 100 % favorable, you guys censor and delete the
posts??

danman

« Reply #93 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:07 am »
I have no idea other than maybe they were getting insulting and then it becomes stupid!

This is a Bryston site and it is heavily defended against ridiculous claims that have no logical explanation!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #94 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:10 am »
Hi Guys,

As far as I know the site facilitator removes any posts he feels are not in the spirit of the circle - Bryston has no say or control over their deletions.

james

danman

« Reply #95 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:11 am »
That makes perfect sense!

Tagman

« Reply #96 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:17 am »
I just cannot believe that every single criticism, even minor quibbles about
The Bryston review that wasn't 100% favorable had gotten deleted. To me
this is unbelievable. This thread should maybe should have been locked, but to
delete posts from people who actually agreed with Fremers review is the
lowest of low!

danman

« Reply #97 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:25 am »
I just cannot believe that every single criticism, even minor quibbles about
The Bryston review that wasn't 100% favorable had gotten deleted. To me
this is unbelievable. This thread should maybe should have been locked, but to
delete posts from people who actually agreed with Fremers review is the
lowest of low!

I repeat..........this is a Bryston site and comments were going in circles therefore something was done.

Nobody is attacking his right to an opinion by any means only the reasons given don't seem to have merit or proper back up.

I think you should get over it as most of us have nor do we really care what one person says in a magazine whether he is respected or not! The 7BSST2 has won more prestigious awards than 95% of high end gear out there regardless of price and at all the shows I have been to they were always one of the top 10 conversation pieces so that does it for me!

Tagman

« Reply #98 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:48 am »
Oh well, Just for the record, I am not a big Bryston fan.

Now lets see, How long will it take before this post is deleted or
I am banned from Audiocircle. LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #99 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:05 am »
You know guys this circle is suppose to be about the sharing of our love of audio and all that it involves.

It’s really too bad when it degenerates into personal attacks against people or the products they enjoy. 
I think we all need to remember what’s most important in life are the people we share the journey with - Merry Christmas.

james