New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review

Stu Pitt

Re: New 7B SST-2 (SQ) Review
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:31 am »
I wouldn't lose any sleep over Fremer's review James.  I just read it myself about 15 minutes ago.  The gear he used and compared your gear too is a bit odd...

Wilsons are very good at reproducing sounds.  They're one of the best I've heard in that regard.  I wouldn't call those sounds music though.

Musical Fatality (err Fidelity) is an interesting company.  You guys update your line every 7-10 years or so.  You only do it when there is a definite sonic and/or mechanical upgrade that goes beyond 'I think this might sound better.'  Musical Fatality 'updates' their gear every 7 - 10 months.  I guess the absolute best technology will be significantly better in 7 months or so.

I don't think Fremmer's followers are the Bryston types anyway.  I think they're the type who are looking for the latest and greatest thing today, but in 7-10 weeks or months, they'll have moved on.

Bryston buyers and prospective buyers have a bit more patience.  They know its a long term investment - financially, sonically, and company support-wise.  We're not looking for something some company tells us is the best thing ever made, then to learn less than a year later that the newest line is even better.  We see the staying power of Bryston in every way.  We don't get sick of it and need a new piece because we're bored after a few months.

I really liked the way Chris handled the rebuttal.  Your company is a class act above anything petty.  The countless positive reviews of all your gear (not just the 7B) outweigh one review that's all over the place.  You guys don't have to argue over one review the way Roy Hall did a few months back.  Your gear speaks for itself.

TomS

« Reply #41 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:57 pm »
Hopefully before dropping almost $9k most will listen with their own ears, in their own system.  Is the 7BSST2 the best I've heard in my system?  No.  Is there something wrong with my system?  I'm sure it could be better, but not really.  Are they great amps? Absolutely yes, for many situations.  Highly recommended from my ears and for my budget.

Levi

« Reply #42 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:59 pm »
I am little bruised as well.  But that is from mountain biking. ;)

In my opinion, Michael Fremer is a little harsh on his review of the 7B-SST2.  His old age must have put a toll on his hearing. :lol:  Nevertheless, the sound of my PMC and Bryston amps have perfect harmony!  :thumb:

--Levi

Hi Folks,

Well I have to admit I am feeling a little bruised by all this and I think the problem is that any manufacturer that attempts to defend their product from these types of reviews just ends up looking like sour grapes.

james

turkey

« Reply #43 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:47 pm »
Hopefully before dropping almost $9k most will listen with their own ears, in their own system.  Is the 7BSST2 the best I've heard in my system?  No.  Is there something wrong with my system?  I'm sure it could be better, but not really.  Are they great amps? Absolutely yes, for many situations.  Highly recommended from my ears and for my budget.

Have you ever done level-matched blind tests of amps? When you do that, suddenly all good amps sound about the same. Funny how the differences disappear when you can't see the brand. :)

I don't own any Bryston amps or preamps (although I used to use them in the studio), but they're as good or better than anything else on the planet.

95Dyna

« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:06 pm »
Hi James, was a 14B review also in the works at S/phile?

Yes Wes Phillips is doing it.

james

That will be very interesting to see the 14B review.  If it comes back very positive it will cast a pall on Fremer's review.  The 14B is nothing but two 7B's in one box with a smaller capacitance.  I wonder if he'll compare it to the Parasound Halo JC1 as well which is far more of a competitive threat to the 7/14 than the MF Titan is at $35K.  If it is positive it will provide an ideal opportunity for Chris to take a thinly veiled jab at Fremer in the manufacturer's response.

BTW, my dealer is also a Parasound Halo dealer and I asked his opinion of the 7 and the JC1 side by side.  He said they are both great amps.  One might have something the other doesn't and vice versa.  He steered me to the 7B's by saying all else being equal I'd go with Bryston simpley because of the integrety of their company, its support and the 20 year warranty.

Levi

« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:25 pm »
Hey 95Dyna,

Do you have the latest upgraded power supply Mike Fremer mentioned in the latest Stereophile review?  It's worth finding out.

95Dyna

« Reply #46 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:41 pm »
Hey 95Dyna,

Do you have the latest upgraded power supply Mike Fremer mentioned in the latest Stereophile review?  It's worth finding out.

Hi Levi,

Yes I do.  :banana piano:

These 7's are just awesome to me and mate well with my speakers, cables and CD player.

Bill

predrag

« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:41 pm »
I wouldn't lose any sleep over Fremer's review James.  I just read it myself about 15 minutes ago.  The gear he used and compared your gear too is a bit odd...

Wilsons are very good at reproducing sounds.  They're one of the best I've heard in that regard.  I wouldn't call those sounds music though.

Musical Fatality (err Fidelity) is an interesting company.  You guys update your line every 7-10 years or so.  You only do it when there is a definite sonic and/or mechanical upgrade that goes beyond 'I think this might sound better.'  Musical Fatality 'updates' their gear every 7 - 10 months.  I guess the absolute best technology will be significantly better in 7 months or so.

I don't think Fremmer's followers are the Bryston types anyway.  I think they're the type who are looking for the latest and greatest thing today, but in 7-10 weeks or months, they'll have moved on.

Bryston buyers and prospective buyers have a bit more patience.  They know its a long term investment - financially, sonically, and company support-wise.  We're not looking for something some company tells us is the best thing ever made, then to learn less than a year later that the newest line is even better.  We see the staying power of Bryston in every way.  We don't get sick of it and need a new piece because we're bored after a few months.

I really liked the way Chris handled the rebuttal.  Your company is a class act above anything petty.  The countless positive reviews of all your gear (not just the 7B) outweigh one review that's all over the place.  You guys don't have to argue over one review the way Roy Hall did a few months back.  Your gear speaks for itself.
I agreee with Stu Pitt!  :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #48 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:43 pm »

Have you ever done level-matched blind tests of amps? When you do that, suddenly all good amps sound about the same. Funny how the differences disappear when you can't see the brand. :)

I don't own any Bryston amps or preamps (although I used to use them in the studio), but they're as good or better than anything else on the planet.
Geez, why go there?  I actually owned 7BSST2's and have all the necessary equipment to match them in my systems and yes, I have done so (not for your reason though).   I liked them.  Please just take my point for what it is and move on.

Levi

« Reply #49 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:46 pm »
That is cool Bill.  :thumb: 

Emil

« Reply #50 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:50 pm »
Guys
I was quite surprised by the lukewarm review of the Bryston. Its not like Stereophile to publish one and yet we all complain about that.
Did you read the followup on the Totems? Not flattering to say the least.
What about the Rogue review? The reviewer stated that if you want a tube sound, buy the Pass labs amp. Although it was a good review, what was he really saying.
Maybe this is the NEW Stereophile

WGH

« Reply #51 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:57 pm »
You can pretty much guarantee that what you hear at a show has no relation to what you would hear in a normal home listening room.

I just knew you were going to write that and I was almost going to put in a disclaimer to my impressions but I wanted you to to see if you would predictably respond, and you did. There is nothing wrong with being predicable.  :)

Were you at the last RMAF and listen to the Sasha's? Yes the sound would not be the same as home setup but the quality of the design was obvious and would be more than up to the task of discerning the nuanced differences between amplifiers (even in a bad room). I read they fine tuned the room during the show and the speakers sounded even better by the end of the show. If the Sasha's were that good then I would assume the MAXX's would be just as revealing.

I think MF should have tried other speaker pairings with the Bryston amps, not very may people are going to pair the 7B SST-2's with $68,000 speakers. I guess that is what follow-ups are for, on other speakers the Parasound Halo's MF preferred might have a bit too much detail and a brash top end.

Wayne

Levi

« Reply #52 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:39 pm »
Hey Emil,

I always thought those magazines are for amusement only.  Likewise, No one would take them seriously and actually buy products based on their reviews and recommendations.  Ha ha ha :lol:

Are they becoming honestly brutal nowadays with the slow economy?  I am surprised!   :o

Guys
I was quite surprised by the lukewarm review of the Bryston. Its not like Stereophile to publish one and yet we all complain about that.
Did you read the followup on the Totems? Not flattering to say the least.
What about the Rogue review? The reviewer stated that if you want a tube sound, buy the Pass labs amp. Although it was a good review, what was he really saying.
Maybe this is the NEW Stereophile

1oldguy

« Reply #53 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm »
Hi James

You mentioned a very good point about having a very neutral amp.Wondering if MF is used to such neutral amps.
The interesting thing about audio is that given the mood we may be in or how the days has unfolded can in it's own way affect our perception of not just sound but many things.As silly as this sounds there have been times using the BCD-1 with my other wise meager system has blown me away.But I feel it may not necessarily due entirely to the sound quality.And at other times with the same gear takes me a little longer to get into it.
When it comes to Guitar playing,my weapon of choice,I hear some people getting it to sound horrible while the next guy loves the tone and vise versa.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

aln

« Reply #55 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:46 pm »
Also remember that he has a terrible room!  He constantly has problems getting "bass" in his area, a problem he mentions in many of his reviews  I'm sure he listens around these acoustical problems, but I'm not sure it is a really good space.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #56 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:08 pm »
Report from the recent 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest Show in Denver:

Thomas Norton - Blog - Stereophile Magazine
RMAF IX: Big Wonking Speakers, Itty Bitty Room
2:08 PM ET

If I had to give a prize for the best sound at the show, it would be a toss-up between the Wilson Sasha W/Ps tied to Ayre electronics, as discussed earlier, and the PMC MB2XBDi speakers driven by Bryston electronics (BCD-1 CD Player, BP26 Preamplifier and 7B SST-2 AMPLIFIERS.)
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009, 07:23 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #57 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:35 pm »
I'm glad I listen  to world class musicans,studios,post product ect as they use
BRYSTON in their studios,home inviroment.
If there was something not right with the sound they'de change it or fix it.
Bryston has plenty of back up of people who,listen ,breath music all their lives.
I definately take note as they have tons more experience than the mailman that got a shot at reviewing.Ticks me off a bit, but then there is always one around that has his nose in the air and thinks his shit don't stink.
That's why I ask people who have been around audio for a long time,because they had heard gear in all types of venues,I'll trust them first and then myself.
I'm more than satisfied with Bryston,for me they get the music right and I follow.

mclsound

« Reply #58 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:44 pm »
Hi Guys
Well i have had a long chat with Mike and :
He does not believe equipment value has any merrit(so it is fine that a pair of $8000 monos go into a $300,000 system???...might as well buy a pair of Karan 1200($55,000)mono's for your Paradigm s-8's)
He thinks they are Bland(neutral),they have no soundstage or imaging
He also says he has never heard Bryston(other than for a minute at shows in there display rooms) in all his years and wanted to try this area out?????????
He also says he would rather loose a 100 customers than lie??????
He believes that since he reviewed PMC DB1i's,he knows all?
And his last words to me,and i quote""Drop your bitterness about a less than glowing review of a piece of audio gear.You will live longer.""
Stereophile has a winner here!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #59 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:27 pm »

:rock: