Audio Retailers - They can make a huge difference...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Audio Retailers - They can make a huge difference...
« Reply #80 on: 25 Oct 2009, 03:51 pm »
Hi Michael,

Just to set the record straight...I can not speak for other manufacturers... but Bryston does not require a dealer to take on a large inventory of product. We work with the dealer given his market area and try to display at least a working system and a few alternatives relative to that specific market.

I know this hurts us a bit in that customers can not always see or hear the exact model they would like to audition but I have always felt that the manufacturer, the dealer and the customer constitute a team effort.

james

Curly Woods

« Reply #81 on: 25 Oct 2009, 04:05 pm »
Hi Michael,

Just to set the record straight...I can not speak for other manufacturers... but Bryston does not require a dealer to take on a large inventory of product. We work with the dealer given his market area and try to display at least a working system and a few alternatives relative to that specific market.

I know this hurts us a bit in that customers can not always see or hear the exact model they would like to audition but I have always felt that the manufacturer, the dealer and the customer constitute a team effort.

james

You would also know that this is not the norm though of most "high exposure" manufacturers though too.  I find it refreshing that your firm does go against what I have found to be the norm in most audio business models.  It makes me want to try my hand at it again someday possibly!

toronto416

« Reply #82 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:04 pm »
Canada has at least three national brands of high-end electronics with great international reputations - Bryston, Classe, and SimAudio.

In Toronto, Canada's largest city, the only brand that is well represented (i.e. has not just one dealer) is Bryston.  That makes it very easy to buy Bryston, but very difficult to even consider the other two.

Kudos to Bryston for actually caring about and supporting its domestic market.

Regards,

Mark

Curly Woods

« Reply #83 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:21 pm »
I am not familiar with SimAudio, but I have loads of experience with Classe'.  Is Glen Grue still heading the company?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #84 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:24 pm »
So guys is there any chance this ipod crowd (or a least some percentage of them) will mature towards more realistic and quality sound?  I get the feeling today that most ipod people 'collect' music rather than 'listen' to it?

James

The iPod has changed everything.  I genuinely think they're listening to music, not just collecting it.  I don't think they're critically listening to it, from a sound quality stand point.  They definitely know better sound exists, but they either can't afford it, or its no convenient enough.

Most people I know use their computer as their main home stereo.  All the music's there.  No CD changing involved, especially when company is over.  Contrary to popular 'audiophile belief,' they're not arguing it doesn't sound as good as a traditional stereo does.  Its just more convenient and economical.

My wife exclusively uses her iPod in a Dock in her portable radio. She is not concerned with the quality of her music and only enjoys it as background ambience and has no interest in listening to her music on any other system.

As for the younger people and high end audio equipment, money is much better spent on the mortgage. Pay the house off first and then buy the toys you want (sound advice from my dad)!

Be well...

Did anyone feel the world come to a screeching halt today? My wife and I were out for a drive and she mentioned that she would like to hear one of her CDs on the new system (the next thing you felt was my jaw hitting the ground). We get home, play her CD and she is all smiles.

Perhaps a B100, BCD-1 and a pair of JBL 800 Project Arrays may be on the agenda next year for my "former" iPod wife.

My goodness, she is off looking in the JBL brochure right now!

ITS ALIVE...

:duh: :duh: :duh:

Curly Woods

« Reply #85 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:36 pm »
So guys is there any chance this ipod crowd (or a least some percentage of them) will mature towards more realistic and quality sound?  I get the feeling today that most ipod people 'collect' music rather than 'listen' to it?

James

The iPod has changed everything.  I genuinely think they're listening to music, not just collecting it.  I don't think they're critically listening to it, from a sound quality stand point.  They definitely know better sound exists, but they either can't afford it, or its no convenient enough.

Most people I know use their computer as their main home stereo.  All the music's there.  No CD changing involved, especially when company is over.  Contrary to popular 'audiophile belief,' they're not arguing it doesn't sound as good as a traditional stereo does.  Its just more convenient and economical.

My wife exclusively uses her iPod in a Dock in her portable radio. She is not concerned with the quality of her music and only enjoys it as background ambience and has no interest in listening to her music on any other system.

As for the younger people and high end audio equipment, money is much better spent on the mortgage. Pay the house off first and then buy the toys you want (sound advice from my dad)!

Be well...

Did anyone feel the world come to a screeching halt today? My wife and I were out for a drive and she mentioned that she would like to hear one of her CDs on the new system (the next thing you felt was my jaw hitting the ground). We get home, play her CD and she is all smiles.

Perhaps a B100, BCD-1 and a pair of JBL 800 Project Arrays may be on the agenda next year for my "former" iPod wife.

ITS ALIVE...

Good audio will only die if we do not expose people to it.  This is one plus for B&M retailers.  The unwashed have a place to hear what they are missing :-)

Laundrew

« Reply #86 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:43 pm »

James

Be well...

ITS ALIVE...

Good audio will only die if we do not expose people to it.  This is one plus for B&M retailers.  The unwashed have a place to hear what they are missing :-)

The proof is difinitely in the pudding! Needless to say that I was still surprised by her "turnabout."  :o

toronto416

« Reply #87 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:45 pm »
Congrats!  It must be the glorious fall weather here in Toronto! 

Not two hours ago my wife asked me how my audio search was going, and after boring her with some details for 10 minutes I boldly told what budget I was thinking of - and she just cheerfully said OK to enough money to buy a car with!

Wise wives know when it is important to let us feed our passions...

Regards,

Mark

Laundrew

« Reply #88 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:50 pm »
Congrats!  It must be the glorious fall weather here in Toronto! 

Not two hours ago my wife asked me how my audio search was going, and after boring her with some details for 10 minutes I boldly told what budget I was thinking of - and she just cheerfully said OK to enough money to buy a car with!

Wise wives know when it is important to let us feed our passions...

Regards,

Mark

So true and they are very smart, if my wife is looking for me, she knows that I am down in my room listening to music :thumb:

gerald porzio

« Reply #89 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:59 pm »
The unwashed have a place to hear what they are missing

This is the type of attitude that will turn off today's youth from becoming tommorow's audiophiles. Then you'll witness the accelerated demise of the B&M stores.

Curly Woods

« Reply #90 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:14 pm »
The unwashed have a place to hear what they are missing

This is the type of attitude that will turn off today's youth from becoming tommorow's audiophiles. Then you'll witness the accelerated demise of the B&M stores.

Huh?????  If there are no B&M, how would you suggest that they get exposed to good audio????  I am really confused by your post.

gerald porzio

« Reply #91 on: 25 Oct 2009, 08:16 pm »
The condescending attitude will turn them off. Unfortunately, this is also the attitude of more than a few high end salesmen & owners of B&M stores who prejudge prospective customers by rolling out the red carpet when they leave.

srb

« Reply #92 on: 25 Oct 2009, 08:38 pm »
The condescending attitude will turn them off. Unfortunately, this is also the attitude of more than a few high end salesmen & owners of B&M stores who prejudge prospective customers by rolling out the red carpet when they leave.

I think you may not understand the terms "unwashed" or "unwashed masses".

In this context, that refers to those that are uneducated or uniformed in the subject of high fidelity.

Steve

Curly Woods

« Reply #93 on: 25 Oct 2009, 09:10 pm »

WOW!  I have never seen this attitude except in a few shops in NYC.  I guess people in the Midwest are a bit more friendly oriented.  Why would a dealer want to run off a perspective client by displaying an attitude towards the possible buyers?  I just have never experienced this attitude and it was certainly not allowed at any stores that I ever work in in my lifetime.

I stand by my contention that audio will suffer severely without B&M stores where people can hear, see and touch equipment.  I do not know of too many people that will buy a piece of equipment without listening to it first, especially if it costs very much at all.  If there are no stores, there will be very very few equipment makers that will remain profitable enough to support the business.  People want to shop where they can touch and hear products, unless they are audiophiles and then they have a good understanding as to what they are looking for and will seek out the lowest possible pricing on equipment.

Laundrew

« Reply #94 on: 25 Oct 2009, 09:23 pm »

WOW!  I have never seen this attitude except in a few shops in NYC.  I guess people in the Midwest are a bit more friendly oriented.  Why would a dealer want to run off a perspective client by displaying an attitude towards the possible buyers?  I just have never experienced this attitude and it was certainly not allowed at any stores that I ever work in in my lifetime.

I stand by my contention that audio will suffer severely without B&M stores where people can hear, see and touch equipment.  I do not know of too many people that will buy a piece of equipment without listening to it first, especially if it costs very much at all.  If there are no stores, there will be very very few equipment makers that will remain profitable enough to support the business.  People want to shop where they can touch and hear products, unless they are audiophiles and then they have a good understanding as to what they are looking for and will seek out the lowest possible pricing on equipment.

Unfortunately, I also experienced quite a few audio dealers with very poor attitudes. Now my wife is interested in an audio system of her own - I know where to shop and where not to shop.

James, what is the list price on a B100 :D

srb

« Reply #95 on: 25 Oct 2009, 09:33 pm »
Two days ago you said "My wife exclusively uses her iPod in a Dock in her portable radio. She is not concerned with the quality of her music and only enjoys it as background ambience and has no interest in listening to her music on any other system."

Now a Bryston B100?  That's quite a jump!  What cosmic phenomena caused this sudden turnaround?  Next you'll be saying she wants to bi-amp!

Steve

Laundrew

« Reply #96 on: 25 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm »
Two days ago you said "My wife exclusively uses her iPod in a Dock in her portable radio. She is not concerned with the quality of her music and only enjoys it as background ambience and has no interest in listening to her music on any other system."

Now a Bryston B100?  That's quite a jump!  What cosmic phenomena caused this sudden turnaround?  Next you'll be saying she wants to bi-amp!

Steve

Hello Steve,

It shocked me also, my jaw still hurts from hitting the floor - wonders never cease :o Perhaps there is still hope for the high end audio market!

I guess constantly hearing the JBL 1400s, 28Bs/BP26 and the Esoteric X-05 running in my room are infectious. I think a great first system for her would be a BCD-1, B100 and a pair of JBL 800 Project Arrays. I think that a pair of 7Bs would be difinitely overkill for her applications.

What do you think?

Be well...

srb

« Reply #97 on: 25 Oct 2009, 10:21 pm »
I think a great first system for her would be a BCD-1, B100 and a pair of JBL 800s.

I think a BCD-1, B100 and a pair of JBL 800s would be a good fifth system for anyone!

Steve

gerald porzio

« Reply #98 on: 26 Oct 2009, 12:01 am »

In this context, that refers to those that are uneducated or uniformed in the subject of high fidelity.

I knew perfectly well what "unwashed" meant. Words have connotations.
The connotation of "unwashed" is condescending. It connotates that those "in the know" are somehow superior.

Curly Woods

« Reply #99 on: 26 Oct 2009, 12:42 am »

I knew perfectly well what "unwashed" meant. Words have connotations.
The connotation of "unwashed" is condescending. It connotates that those "in the know" are somehow superior.

It was not meant as a slam or a slander.  I use the term for those that are unaware. I would never try to purposely slight someone, unless I was attacked first.  My ideals is to treat others as they treat you.  Works pretty well in my life  :D