Trade for Int Amp -> I offer Dodd, DeVore, Air Tight, JuicyMusic, Redgum, more

toobluvr

Would like to simplify my system, and unload some extra gear.  I have some really nice stuff that I'd like to exchange for an excellent integrated amp.

My requirements are:

*  prefer tubes
*  35 to 40 wpc min;  100 wpc max
*  several single-ended inputs
*  remote.......but for a killer piece, I might be able to forego this
*  easy bias
*  triode switchable is a nice feature, but not required
*  low negative feedback
*  quiet and reliable; good build quality
good sound!

I can offer the following gear in trade:

* Dodd 120 mono amps, Gen 2 w upgraded Munsdorf SIO caps                SOLD

* Air Tight ATC-1 preamp w MM phono stage  (recently serviced and upgraded caps)       SOLD

* JuicyMusic Blueberry Xtreme preamp (version 1) w MM and "cream" MC option     (no remote)          SOLD

* Talk Thunder 3.1B cd player

* Resolution Audio CD-55 cd player  (see separate ad in Trading Post)     SOLD

* Consonance Opera CD120 Linear NOS cd player  (excellent budget player!)   SOLD

*DeVore Gibbons 3 monitor loudspeakers    SOLD

* Redgum RGi-35 integrated     (very musical SS budget amp) SOLD

From the above gear you can discern what quality level I am at, so I'd like to not stray too far from it.  No hard and fast rules, but this probably means I'd be interested in integrateds that list for $2500 and up.  Please keep this in mind when making an offer.

Don't be shy, tell me what you have and what you propose.

And or course, outright purchases of my gear are welcome!    :thumb:

Poke around my photo galleries, I think you will see photos of all.  I choose my gear carefully and everything on offer is excellent in all ways:  cosmetically, operationally and sonically.  These are all high value pieces, and they all sound great.

If you are interested in something, contact me and I can send more photos.

Thanks for looking,
John
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 03:53 am by toobluvr »

toobluvr

OK....just to clarify....I have two objectives:

(1)   I'm looking to shed extra gear, and
(2)   I'd like to downsize from separates to a nice integrated.

I'd like to acquire the integrated with a trade, but I will also consider an outright purchase.  Matter of fact, I will also consider other amp options...trade or purchase.

Basically, I am flexible but will not severely compromise sonic quality.  Just trying to get some $$ out of the monster.  Bring on your proposals.  See my original post for what's on the chopping block.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I dunno.....looks like good stuff. Once you get rid of it, you wish you had it back.

If you send some of this stuff out on a tour- it would be easier to shed. Many haven't first-handedly heard some of these brands.

toobluvr

I dunno.....looks like good stuff. Once you get rid of it, you wish you had it back.

If you send some of this stuff out on a tour- it would be easier to shed. Many haven't first-handedly heard some of these brands.

You're probably right about the seller's regret aspect.......but it's belt tightening time.

As far as the tour suggestion ...........  :rotflmao:
Ummmm, I don't think so!     :roll:

Gear tours are the domain of manufacturers and professional sellers.  I am just a simple addict who lost control of his audio budget.

The Dodd and JuicyMusic stuff has gotten plenty of ink and acclaim on this board, and others.    And the quality, value and reputation of my other offerings are well known to any audiophile worth his salt.    8)   

If not, a few minutes in google land will will enlighten anyone who is interested, as there is tons of info / reviews / comments out there on this gear (with the exception of the Talk....maybe).

usp1

Are you looking to sell some of this outright? If so, it may help to put some prices on each item.

toobluvr

I will sell outright.  I'll update my ad with prices when I get the chance.
Until then, contact me direct to discuss purchases.

Right now my main objective is to try to arrange a trade for an integrated.
I know it will be hard, but that's what I seek.

sheppard

Did you mean to write "Audio Resolution CD-55", or "Resolution Audio CD-55"?

toobluvr

Did you mean to write "Audio Resolution CD-55", or "Resolution Audio CD-55"?

Nope.....
Name of the company is Resolution Audio.

http://www.resolutionaudio.com/

The Opus replaced the CD55.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Does the JuicyMusic Blueberry have a remote?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
You must be getting a lot of questions since i sent you a private message and it was rejected since your box was over loaded.

My interest is in the Juicy pre-amp.

Thanks,
Harrison

toobluvr

Does the JuicyMusic Blueberry have a remote?

Mine is the original BB Extreme, Version 1.
It uses 6dj8 / 6922 / 7308 tube in the line stage. 
It does not have remote.  Apart from the "cream" MC option that I ordered when new, it has no mods, upgrades or repairs.

If you want it, Mark at Juicy will retrofit the new Version 2 circuit (6H30 tube) for the very reasonable fee of $75.   But he cannot add remote.

I have read some comments from those that have heard both versions, that they actually prefer Version 1.....if the "right" NOS line stage tube is used.

Personally, I have no idea about that as I have never heard Version 2.     :dunno: 

toobluvr

toobluvr

John, are there any integrateds you've had your eye on in particular? Sure wish I had the cash right now...those are really nice pieces and I know you take great care of your gear. 8)

I have a few short listed integrateds in my head, but I did not want to reveal them (at least initially) and limit things or make things too restrictive.   And it is impossible for an individual to know everything.  So I thought I would just give general parameters of my needs, and leave it open ended.  This way the community can come back to me with ideas, and possibly suggest something really nice that I may have overlooked, or was not even aware of.

I have always been intrigued by Prima Luna stuff.   But will it be a big sonic step down for me?   Based on the way I listen, I know the 35wpc on offer will give enough volume with my 91 db speakers, but will it properly grip and control my 10 inch woofers, and give enough scale and size?

I know I could be very happy with the Mastersound stuff...but now you're talking serious bucks!

Melody has piqued my interest.  Reviews are great and prices are unreal, but the lack of US representation concerns me.  Plus, I'd really like a remote!

I once owned an 845 SET amp and loved it.  At times I find myself longing for that "sound".  I would like to go back to it, but I think with my speakers I would need two per side for the extra power (50 wpc vs 22).  I know that means it is no longer SET, but I would risk it to get the 845 tube, Class A and triode.  Some mfrs offer that design (Art Audio, Viva, ASL, etc), but again, very pricey!

I'd like to get away with as little power as possible and still get the job done right.  In my experience and for my taste, I find that lower power gives better sound...provided of course that the speakers are right.  But I'm not sure what that tipping point is for my speakers.

So that's a bit of insight into where my head's at.   I know I'm all over the place, but like I say, I'd like to keep it open and solicit ideas.  Bring it on guys!      8)

reddmadder

John,
   Look into the Cy Brenneman Stereo 30... Cy builds exceptional amps and the 30 is a great little amp for the money.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cybrenneman/audio/id1.html

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Hey Blair it is very curious that you are now recommending someone send out their gear (which is a one off, not something that can be ordered from the seller) on tour.  When many folks here have asked you to do it and you refuse.  Maybe he should try your solution and just offer a 7 day money back guarantee   :lol:  I didn't see you recommend that, which has seemed to be your solution.   :lol:

bluemike

John
Check out the copland integrated CT 405 is a very good sounding amplifer that would sound great with your speakers

Vac integrated is another choice at a higher price point

Not sure how much you're willing to spend

A dark horse but very good is the Denson line b110 .no tubes

toobluvr

John
Check out the copland integrated CT 405 is a very good sounding amplifer that would sound great with your speakers

Vac integrated is another choice at a higher price point

Not sure how much you're willing to spend

A dark horse but very good is the Denson line b110 .no tubes

Thanks BM!
Gear that is somewhat off the beaten path always intrigues me, and I tend to gravitate to it.

I have come across all your recs over the years, but they were kindof on the outer fringes of my memory, and had not made my mental short-list.  This is exactly why I intentionally left my original post loose and open-ended!

:thumb:

PS:   how do you know that the Copland would work particularly well with my Sunny loudspeakers?  Do you have first hand experience with that combo?
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2009, 03:31 pm by toobluvr »

toobluvr

John,
   Look into the Cy Brenneman Stereo 30... Cy builds exceptional amps and the 30 is a great little amp for the money.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cybrenneman/audio/id1.html

Thanks Joe.......
So why did you sell it then?        8)

bluemike

Thanks John
I have heard the Copland with a pair of high efficiency speakers and they sounded great
We both own the dodds and enjoy them so i'm thinking your listening experiences mirror mine ..
Sorry I have not heard the sunny speakers first hand

Yes I do tend to go off the beat and track with my gear and so far i've been lucky to strike gold on a few of my purchases
the latest being the Paul Hynes phono stage ...and a Lenco in a massive plinth

Cheers
Pat

toobluvr

Hey Pat.....I thought I was kindof tuned into the esoteric, fringey and smaller companies, but Paul Hynes?   Never heard of it.      :scratch:

I'd like to learn more, is there a website?