Trade for Int Amp -> I offer Dodd, DeVore, Air Tight, JuicyMusic, Redgum, more

bluemike

Hey Pat.....I thought I was kindof tuned into the esoteric, fringey and smaller companies, but Paul Hynes?   Never heard of it.      :scratch:

I'd like to learn more, is there a website?
He has a websight but it's not fully updated yet with all his products
He actually post here on Audiocircle from time to time
here's a link www.paulhynesdesign.com

briefly the man is a power supply genius for those that know him or know of his work and a true gentleman in every sense of the word

Send him a Pm if you can't contact him through his websight

toobluvr

Thanks Pat, will definitely look into it.

Regarding Copland...
Over the years I've always wondered about Copland gear, but never got around to trying it.  Build quality looks great, and they consistently get good reviews.  I love the simple, stark and utilitarian looks.  Suggests to me they are more about sound and less about frills and ornamentation.

They are not hyped to the nth degree, but I bet in terms of performance they are a very pleasant surprise.  Just like my experience with Redgum.

Note to self:   add Copland to "wanna try" list.

toobluvr

Any thoughts or experiences out there on:

Pathos Classic One
or
Unison Unico

They seem to get good reviews, but always lots of them on AG.  Makes me wonder?  Could simply mean that many have been sold, and not necessarily anything negative about the sonics.

Hybrid, I know.  Keeping an open mind.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
John....
I know I could be very happy with the Mastersound stuff...but now you're talking serious bucks!
Really nice stuff....heard it last year at RMAF...very good...very expensive....but worth it...what's the Lotto jackpot this week... :wink:  :lol:

Pathos Classic One...
At a few shows...ok sounding....but nothing special...nice look tho....

Good luck in your search John.... :thumb:

reddmadder

Sold my Brenneman to try other gear.

toobluvr

Sold my Brenneman to try other gear.

Seller's regret yet?      :(

toobluvr

Dodd Audio 120 mono amps reduced to $1700.

Caps have been upgraded to Munsdorf Silver in Oil.

Complete tube set with very low hours, basically new.
Will also include a nice set of (6) NOS GE 7044, a 5687 variant.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1257783874&view&1253388795

reddmadder

no regrets...but you're in for a dose...as you once said to me,and I'm paraphrasing:
"Once you've been to the mountain top it's hard to go down"

Bemopti123

There are two Italian houses that produce models that have piqued my interest.  The classic Pathos TT, a 35 watt Class A hybrid with cosmetics to kill, quite expensive even when used but seem to be a classic in their line....

and the more recent Audia Flight power components, with remote options, more like a top flight ultra modern integrated a la Pass Labs but with a Italian sense...

the smallest of them all...

I would love to try both and see what gives.  Toobluv, I forgot what sort of speaker are you running?

Coplands always seem to be getting good if not great reviews but perhaps due to its looks, it seems to be not too popular. 

845 tubes present a challenge in the aspect that some people have experienced reliability problems with what available 845 tubes made by Shuguang...Older NOS are prohibitive.  Tube failure have lead to damaged amps.  VIVA integrateds sell tubes that have been extensively tested but at a premium.  Always saw an 845 based amplifier as more of an extravagance rather than a practical amplification...but then, what should I call people who use amps such as the Atmaspheres? :icon_twisted:

toobluvr

no regrets...but you're in for a dose...as you once said to me,and I'm paraphrasing:
"Once you've been to the mountain top it's hard to go down"

Lots of mountains to choose from, Joe.

Maybe I'll just end up on a shorter one till the financial storm blows over!

:D

kriton

• Lurkus Professionalis
E-mail sent TL - Let me know on the Dodds!

Bruce

toobluvr

Kriton:       I replied to your GMail account.

Bemopti:     speakers are Sunny Cable Technology H2W10  (= horn, 2-way, 10" woofer)

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak101007.shtml

Here they are in my room:

toobluvr

Getting some serious interest......
looks like Dodds might be gone soon!

:bawl:

reddmadder

Hopefully just a Hill and ditto on the "shorter mountain" for me as well...BTW,those speakers look interesting.

toobluvr

Hopefully just a Hill and ditto on the "shorter mountain" for me as well...BTW,those speakers look interesting.

They are!      :wink:

A local buddy is getting a pair of Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules soon.

http://audiokinesis.com/

Specs are very close to the Sunnys, and they look almost identical.  It will be interesting to hear how they stack up sonically.  If close, the direct buy price from AK is excellent!     :thumb:

lonewolfny42

John...
A local buddy is getting a pair of Audio Kinesis Jazz Modules soon.

Those are nice....should be a good comparison.... 8)

toobluvr

Speak of the Devil!   Is that a Jazz Module in your Avatar there, Chris?

lonewolfny42

Speak of the Devil!   Is that a Jazz Module in your Avatar there, Chris?

You got it John.... :wink:

That was RMAF...few years ago. They are nice speakers....Duke knows his stuff !!

Bill out in CA...a member here, owns a pair.

One day I'll need to "drop in" on you....I've yet to hear those Sunny's...

Good luck with your sale's... :thumb:

All of John's equipment is well cared for...yes...I've seen it.

Audioclyde

Tooblver,

I actually own both the Unison Research Unico and the Pathos Classic One (mk III).  The Unico is relegated to small bedroom system duty--nice little amp.  But to me, the Pathos is quite a bit better.  I use the Pathos from time to time in my main system (Modwright Transporter front end, Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's as speakers)--my primary amp here now is a Cary SLI-80 F1 full triode.  I actually could probably be happy with the Pathos in my main system, but I wouldn't say that with the Unico.  The Pathos is just much more resolving, better detail, transients and high end than the Unico.  Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

A buddy of mine has Dodd amps (el34), I think they are the same as yours......I don't think either the Unico or the Pathos is going to compare to good with those babies!!!

Good luck!

Randy 

toobluvr

Tooblver,

I actually own both the Unison Research Unico and the Pathos Classic One (mk III).  The Unico is relegated to small bedroom system duty--nice little amp.  But to me, the Pathos is quite a bit better.  I use the Pathos from time to time in my main system (Modwright Transporter front end, Daedalus Audio DA-RMa's as speakers)--my primary amp here now is a Cary SLI-80 F1 full triode.  I actually could probably be happy with the Pathos in my main system, but I wouldn't say that with the Unico.  The Pathos is just much more resolving, better detail, transients and high end than the Unico.  Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

A buddy of mine has Dodd amps (el34), I think they are the same as yours......I don't think either the Unico or the Pathos is going to compare to good with those babies!!!

Good luck!

Randy

Thanks very much for the input, Randy!

Interesting that you mention the Cary SLI-80.   It's one of the ones on my mental shortlist.   You did not compare it to your other two integrateds, but since it does duty in your main system, I guess that tells me what I need to know.

Based on what you own, it's apparent that you've done your homework when it comes to integrateds.  Any thoughts on the Prima Luna Dialogue 2?   Can you venture a comment on how it would stack up against the SLI-80?

Thanks!

John