limvingen

Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST
« on: 13 Sep 2009, 03:29 pm »
My system consist of:

April Music Eximus CD-10 player
Bryston BP-26
Bryston 4B-SST
Marten Miles 3 speakers

The overall sound is very good, but I found the sound to be a little bit analytic. I'm thinking that a solution to this problem
can be to replace the BP-26 in a valve preamp.

Do anyone know a good match for my 4B-SST?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2009, 04:03 pm »
Mapletree is a good choice, because they use the very nice sounding 6sn7 tubes.

limvingen

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2009, 04:27 pm »
Mapletree is a good choice, because they use the very nice sounding 6sn7 tubes.

I need a remote control option :roll:

K Shep

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm »
I've had the opportunity to hear a few tube preamps partnered with SS amps.  I currently own a Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and play it through a Parasound A21 amp.  My last preamp was a VTL TL-2.5 which I would highly recommend.  A 2.5 may be found on the used market with a remote control for around $850. 

What is your budget?

Kirk 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2009, 11:17 pm »
My system consist of:

April Music Eximus CD-10 player
Bryston BP-26
Bryston 4B-SST
Marten Miles 3 speakers

The overall sound is very good, but I found the sound to be a little bit analytic. I'm thinking that a solution to this problem
can be to replace the BP-26 in a valve preamp.

Do anyone know a good match for my 4B-SST?

A tube preamp is going to color the sound. Unless that's what your after. I know a neutral sound isn't for everybody.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:59 am »
SS gear colors the sound too, just in a different way than tubes.

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:17 am »
I know a neutral sound isn't for everybody.

A neutral sound is achieved by NOBODY. Regardless of what type of equipment you use. The folly of Solid state advocates is an insistence that it is "neutral", nothing could be further from the truth most/all solid state adds big time coloration to the midrange and major issues with time coherence in the treble region.  That is coloration whether you like to call it that or not.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:25 am »
SS gear colors the sound too, just in a different way than tubes.

There is obviously some percentage of audio buffs who prefer the even order harmonic distortion of tubes to the odd order harmonic distortion of transistors.  However, I have heard solid state, tube and solid state/tube hybrid systems that have touched my musical soul.  Just a matter of execution and synergy.

Steve

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:51 am »
You can't go wrong with Audio Research or BAT tube preamp.  I also heard the Bryston amps with Rogue Audio.  Definitely, tube preamp will give you 3 dimensionality in music.  Personally I like BAT preamp.  They all come with optional remote for $500 extra 8)

--Levi

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:28 am »
Well, well, well...look who comes out of the woodwork...

Anyway, I wasn't here to start a tube vs. solid state debate. I stand by everything I said. The Bryston gear doesn't color the sound, whether you like it or not. Now, if you would like to bash Bryston, I suggest you do that somewhere else!

This is OUR (Bryston owners) house... :evil: Got it?  8)

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:44 am »
Lol coming from a different angle on this, saying "Bryston doesn't color sound" is speaking in absolute terms. Absolute terms such as this are implausible plain and simple. Fanboyism does not change that, even if that fanboyism is directed toward a company as deserving as Bryston. ;)  :P :lol:

srb

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:21 am »
There is no debate going on here.  A Bryston owner wanted to possibly replace his Bryston preamp with a tube preamp to mate with his Bryston amplifier, and asked for a recommendation.

Another Bryston owner, who was using a tube preamp with a Bryston amplifier supplied the asked for recommendation.

Geez.

Steve

limvingen

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:09 am »
There is no debate going on here.  A Bryston owner wanted to possibly replace his Bryston preamp with a tube preamp to mate with his Bryston amplifier, and asked for a recommendation.

Another Bryston owner, who was using a tube preamp with a Bryston amplifier supplied the asked for recommendation.

Geez.

Steve

Thank You Steve! aa

limvingen

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:18 am »
You can't go wrong with Audio Research or BAT tube preamp.  I also heard the Bryston amps with Rogue Audio.  Definitely, tube preamp will give you 3 dimensionality in music.  Personally I like BAT preamp.  They all come with optional remote for $500 extra 8)

--Levi

I considered BAT VK51SE until i read the review in Stereophile :
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index4.html

The review states that the output impedance can be high as 4.7kohm at low frequencies. That will not be a good match for most of transistor amps!?
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 11:59 am by limvingen »

limvingen

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:23 am »
Does anyone know the input impedance of 4B-SST throughout the audio frequency range? (it can varies a lot!?)
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 11:59 am by limvingen »

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:42 am »
Don't worry about the measurements.  All you have to do is listen! :) 

Input Impedance 50 Kohms single ended, 20 Kohms balanced 

They sounded great with my 7B. :thumb:

--Levi

--Levi

I considered BAT VK51SE until i read the review in Stereophile :
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index4.html

The review states that the output impedanse can be high as 4.7kohm at low frequencies. That will not be a good match for most of transistor amps!?

limvingen

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:12 pm »
I've had the opportunity to hear a few tube preamps partnered with SS amps.  I currently own a Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and play it through a Parasound A21 amp.  My last preamp was a VTL TL-2.5 which I would highly recommend.  A 2.5 may be found on the used market with a remote control for around $850. 

What is your budget?

Kirk

Thanks, the Conrad Johnson CT5 and the VTL TL-2.5 are good suggustions. The CT5 is a little bit over my budget, but CJ have also cheaper preamps I can consider.

Other preams i hope some of you have experience with are:

ARC LS26
EAR 868
Cary SLP-05
Audio Note M3
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 01:32 pm by limvingen »

limvingen

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:26 pm »

--Levi

Stereophile also reviewed the 14B-SST and 28B-SST there de balanced input impedence was as low as 14.8kohm and 10.2k ohms balanced:
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/725/index7.html
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/108bry/index4.html

How can that be a good match for the BAT VK51se with an output impedence of 4.7kohm. Isn't the rule that the input impedance on the power amp should be at least 10 times of the output impedance of the preamp?

I appreciate and respekt your opinion Levi;   All I have to do is listen!  :wink:

limvingen

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:27 pm »

--Levi

Stereophile also reviewed the 14B-SST and 28B-SST there de balanced input impedence was as low as 14.8kohm and 10.2k ohms balanced:
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/725/index7.html
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/108bry/index4.html

How can that be a good match for the BAT VK51se with an output impedence of 4.7kohm. Isn't the rule that the input impedance on the power amp should be at least 10 times of the output impedance of the preamp?

I appreciate and respect your opinion Levi;   All I have to do is listen!  :wink:

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm »
Finding a good preamp should be fun. Trust me there are lots out there and most in your proposed budget. Once you zero'd in on one, try to listen to it in your system at home if you can. Find a dealer or a friend that will let you do a home audition.  Btw, I just emailed Victor about the impedance on the BAT and Bryston amp. Thanks for Bringing the review measurements up. :)

--Levi