Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST

DEV

Re: Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST
« Reply #40 on: 17 Sep 2009, 11:50 am »
Hi wrathchild, when you referred to Sonic Frontiers Line 3 (great pce but unfortunately the company is gone) and saying some feel it betters the Ref 3.

I don't believe it will better but only be different offering different sonics, these two pres will sound different for sure and capture a different perspective over all and it will really come down to the rest of your set-up and what your preference is.

The stage presence will be different, one might be more forward so it will come done to which do you prefer, there are so many areas to be addressed and really there is no right or wrong but in the end what you like.

I have found I prefer the REF3 connected in balance mode and the pre not siting on it's own feet, what you put is on does change the sound and in the end depends on the rest of your set-up and sound. I have mine on Sistrum points and using Stealth Indra XLR ic's.

Have fun!

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #41 on: 17 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm »
Hi Dev, totally agree.. 'better' can be a very personal word, especially in audio. Just wanted to throw the name out there as a viable option for the poster. I auditioned the Line 2 with a BP26, which was the pre I wanted originally. Was the SF 'better' than the 26?  In some regards, yes, others, no, The 26 sounded great, very clean, awesome detail, and I would've been quite happy with it too, but something drew me to the sound of the tube pre so thats the direction I went.. no regrets(obviously i'm not alone here). Besides the sound, I also liked the aesthetics, functionality, and history of the SF stuff. Kind of like a classic muscle car. The Line 3 is built very solid, and has a killer power supply, great remote, theatre bypass etc. Also, the Line 3 is debatably one of the more neutral  sounding tube pre's., which is what I liked about the BP26, so I thought I might achieve some of those Bryston attributes in a tube preamp. I admire your system, i'm sure it sounds great, the Ref 3 is undeniably a choice piece. I hope to hear one sometime...Drummer..when are we going to the city again?

drummermitchell

« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2009, 10:36 pm »
 :lol:,Hi Ron,any time, I just got back again,picked up my other doberman(DD-15).
And I had to stop in AGAIN AT THCX,visualization process,that's my excuse :roll:.
HEY,AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO STILL BE AT WORK,it's4:45 pm :thumb:..