Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST

Levi

Re: Valve preamp for Bryston 4B-SST
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:00 pm »
Hi there,

Victor responded to my email.  He mentioned in his email to me is that there are no issues with impedance.  You have me concerned there for a second.  :lol:

Don't worry too much about the specs or the reviews.  Listen with your own ears.  :thumb:

Cheers,
--Levi

Brown

« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:10 pm »
VAC and CJ and Audible Illussions have always had a VG synergy with Bryston amps. Even an older CJ PV10A or VAC would fit nicely. Whatever you decide upon in a tubed pre with the Bryston try a rich sounding one as the Bryston will elevate that sound. Air air and more air. A fuller more authoritive presentation with natural decay and a more 3D soudstage. Have fun trying. 

K Shep

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:17 pm »
Well, well, well...look who comes out of the woodwork...

This is OUR (Bryston owners) house... :evil: Got it?  8)

Wow.  I hope this is your attempt at sarcasm?  I own a SS amp that to my ears in the wrong system may sound analytic.  I have experience comparing tube preamps in my system partnered with my SS amp.  I am here to learn and at times pass on my impressions to other members who may have a similar experience. 

Kirk 

drummermitchell

« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:39 pm »
I have heard that tubes(probably depending on the pre)
have an analog LP sound.I have a BP-26(which I like alot) l,BUT have been curious to compare.
I really like my LPS(sound)I am thinking of auditioning a AR reference 3,
my retailer will let me try her out at home.
There's something quite nice to the ears with LPs,distortions or not.
Nice to be able to compare :thumb:.

werd

« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:44 pm »
I am curious about the AR linestages with Bryston. I would like to put an AR pre inbetween my BDA and 4B to see what that's like.

K Shep

« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
I would be very interested in the Audio Research Reference 3 in your Bryston system.  Audio Research are extremely transparent that may sound edgy in the wrong system.  I have heard an all AR system at an audio shop, which is not always the best setting for a true audition, that had unbelievable clarity, YMMV.

Kirk

drummermitchell

« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:28 pm »
Hi Kirk,I have been interested in that for awhile.I remember when I auditioned
my BCD-1,we were using  the reference 3 as the pre and two other cdps.
Your right even to my ears the all AR components didn't do the music the way I
wanted it to and to top it all off I wanted the AR cdp,but kept going back to the excellent BCD-1,but have been curious as to what the pre can do,
At least when I audition it won't be bothering me as I will know,besides it
doesn't cost to AUDITION at home :thumb:.

Viajero5000

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:38 pm »
I've tried audio note, cary (SLP98) and MF (kW tube hybrid) pre-amps with various Bryston amps. I didn't enjoy the AN/Bryston combo. The Cary has good texture in the mids but suffers from a slightly fat mid-bass and rolls off a bit too much in the highs; also not hugely transparent, though better than many cheaper SS. The SLP05 might be a better option. The kW hybrid was a good match, clarity and extension as well. Due to synergy issues, the BP26 however is the most obvious choice for Bryston amps; with the 4B, the sound may be 'too' neutral or slightly forward sounding with some set ups, although the bigger amps make a balanced and dynamic combination. All observations are in different rooms/systems, so comments are of course subjective. The ARC Ref 3 is also on my list to audition, but it had better have exceptional synergy to justify the price.

drummermitchell

« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:00 pm »
I agree with that,if she don't emotionally send me some where  that I like,then
the 26 is where I'll stay as she's superb.

K Shep

« Reply #29 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:04 pm »
Hi Kirk,I have been interested in that for awhile.I remember when I auditioned
my BCD-1,we were using  the reference 3 as the pre and two other cdps.
Your right even to my ears the all AR components didn't do the music the way I
wanted it to and to top it all off I wanted the AR cdp,but kept going back to the excellent BCD-1,but have been curious as to what the pre can do,
At least when I audition it won't be bothering me as I will know,besides it
doesn't cost to AUDITION at home :thumb:.

drummermitchell,
In home audition, three of my favorite words!  I asked for an "in home audition" while considering my current CJ preamp and my guy at the audio shop joked that if I take it home it is going to stay at my home.  He was correct, I had to squeeze the component into my budget, but it fit.  Now I am in audio bliss with regards to my preamp in my system. 

Kirk

Viajero5000

« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:05 pm »
I agree with that,if she don't emotionally send me some where  that I like,then
the 26 is where I'll stay as she's superb.

Hi drummer, yes, I'd say out of ss pre's the 26 is a no brainer.  the tube amps i've tired each provide different sorts of 'flavors'.

DEV

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:20 pm »
I am currently using the ARC Ref3 paired up with 28B SST Squared and very happy with the end results, I have not compared this specific set-up with any other pre-amps but have done so in the past with other amps and set-ups and still kept the Ref3, waiting to try the new Ref5 to hear what the difference is. There is allot more than just putting a pce into your set-up, it's like being a baker and having all those different ingredients and in the end putting it together, the end result. No one really being wrong or right just different, some like it mild and some hot etc. In the end it really comes down to what you want and your specific preference. I have heard alot of set ups over the years and found it's best to just appreciate what one is trying to do and learn what you like and don't like, in the end it's a hobby and to me really it's all about music, meeting new people and learning etc.

My system consist of;

MBL 101E speakers, MBL 1621A Reference transport, Accustic Arts Reference Hybrid Tube Dac, ARC Ref3 pre, Bryston 28 B SST Squared mono's, 2 Torus RM 20's one for each amp, Stealth Dream speaker cables (two runs to each speaker for true-by wire), Stealth Dream power cords through out, Stealth Indra XLR interconnects, Stealth Sextet Digital cable

Levi

« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:24 pm »
Son Ideal, used Rogue Audio with the 28B and BW801D. All I can say was superb!  :thumb:

Definitely, nothing can beat an in home audition.

--Levi

werd

« Reply #33 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:40 pm »
Has anyone ever tried a Blue Circle pre with any Bryston power? I used a bp25/mps2 with a BC22 power amp for years and enjoyed it.

drummermitchell

« Reply #34 on: 14 Sep 2009, 07:01 pm »
Nice setup Dev.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2009, 09:32 pm »
I stand by everything I said. I make no apologies. I am no longer contributing to this thread.

xsparky

« Reply #36 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:26 pm »
Hello limvingen;

I had a McIntosh C2200 tube preamp with a Bryston 6bsst.(same amp as 4bsst but an extra channel). I thought the results were very good. Yes more 3d plus warmth. I was happy. I have since moved to a total McIntosh pre and amps.
Mc 501 mono's. I am slowly moving along the food chain. I plan to replace the C2200 tube preamp with a McIntosh C500t tube preamp plus upgrade my PMC IB1's to IB2i's or maybe MB2i's. I'm waiting on James feedback to his MB2's that he has just acquired as part of the puzzle.
Any ways I think you would be happy with a tube preamp as I am staying with one, as I find them to be pleasing to my likings which draws me into the music. It was a nice match with the 6bsst.

Remember guys its all good :wink:

K Shep

« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:58 pm »
I stand by everything I said. I make no apologies. I am no longer contributing to this thread.

Good.  If you are going to tell me to go somewhere else if I don't own Bryston gear and then say  :evil: "Got it?"  You may be barking up the wrong tree.  I prefer to act like a gentleman.  No apologies are necessary. 

K Shep

« Reply #38 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:13 pm »
My system consist of:

April Music Eximus CD-10 player
Bryston BP-26
Bryston 4B-SST
Marten Miles 3 speakers

The overall sound is very good, but I found the sound to be a little bit analytic. I'm thinking that a solution to this problem
can be to replace the BP-26 in a valve preamp.

Do anyone know a good match for my 4B-SST?

limvingen,

IMO your 4B-SST is going to partner well with just about any preamp you throw in the mix (at your price point).  I think the next logical piece to look at are your speakers.  They are 2 way speakers with ceramic tweeter, which should take a kindness to a good syrupy edge preamp. 

I think drummermitchell's idea of taking home a preamp and auditioning in your system is the only way to go.  The question is do you have a dealer that will allow you to take equipment home?  Also do your local dealers have they mfgs you have in mind?

Kirk

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:34 am »
I had a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 and loved it.  I upgraded to a Line 3 (got it modded by Partsconnexion) and, to me, it sounds amazing. I concur with those that think it a super bargain in the used world. I was fortunate to be able to home audition the Line 2 as the dealer had it on consignment. Some say the Line 3 betters the Ref 3, I dunno, have not heard the ref3. But when drummer home auditions one, hopefully i'll be over there to find out!