Rockets not doing it

Derrell

Rockets not doing it
« on: 31 Aug 2009, 10:36 pm »
I have the rocket 850, Bigfoot, elt monitors, and mfw15 all powered by a Denon 4806 and I am left wanting more. I have listened to the ls-6 and loved every moment they are awesome!  Howerver at the moment I do not have a dedicated room therefore I think the ob-7 will be a better fit.  I am 90% movies 10% music but I think that is because the 850's don't do music that well for me.  Do the ob-7's do well in a theater setup?  What has been used for a center?   Thanks

Nick77

Re: Rockets not doing it
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:19 am »
I have the rocket 850, Bigfoot, elt monitors, and mfw15 all powered by a Denon 4806 and I am left wanting more. I have listened to the ls-6 and loved every moment they are awesome!  Howerver at the moment I do not have a dedicated room therefore I think the ob-7 will be a better fit.  I am 90% movies 10% music but I think that is because the 850's don't do music that well for me.  Do the ob-7's do well in a theater setup?  What has been used for a center?   Thanks

Derrell
The 850's sure have a huge bandwagon, i personally can totally understand the reason for wanting to upgrade.
I upgraded to the ob/7 from the Mini's and there do an excellant job at HT. The strenght is definitly 2 channel music though. I still have my Onix ref1 center for center duties. I think you could make BF work for you or build a neo3 center. A pic is worth a thousand words.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:05 am »
Nick,

Is that the Ref100 as center?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:06 am »
Derrell,

I believe you can get an OB5 as Center.

Talk to Danny.

Derrell

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:22 am »
Any thoughts about using the ob-7's only and running a phantom center?  The rockets are good speakers but having heard the ls-6 I have never been the same.  What is the shortest build a ls-6 can be?

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:31 am »
Nick,

Is that the Ref100 as center?

Yes

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:20 am »
Derrell,

If it were me, I'd rather go for a real Center instead.

IMHO, no phantom center SQ can match a full range Center.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:20 am »

Derrell

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:05 am »
Well it looks like I am going to have a dedicated room soon as we are in the process of remodeling our house.  So as far as a center speaker I am thinking that whichever speaker I go with I will be using the same three across the front.  How do the ob-7's compare to the ls6's.  Has anyone done a direct comparision using these speakers in a theater setup.  Also what are the v-1's that I have been reading about?  Is it a new speaker? 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:13 am »
Derrell,

Cool.
That's the way to go.

Are you talking about OB7 or LS6 as kits or fully built?
Well it looks like I am going to have a dedicated room soon as we are in the process of remodeling our house.  So as far as a center speaker I am thinking that whichever speaker I go with I will be using the same three across the front.  How do the ob-7's compare to the ls6's.  Has anyone done a direct comparision using these speakers in a theater setup.  Also what are the v-1's that I have been reading about?  Is it a new speaker?

Derrell

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:59 am »
In kits

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:06 am »
How do the ob-7's compare to the ls6's.  Has anyone done a direct comparision using these speakers in a theater setup. 
I heard both the OB-7 and the LS-6 when Danny first designed them.  Both are musical, accurate and excellent values, but in a direct "which one is better?" scenario, there is no comparison to my ears.  The LS-6 creates a musical space that has the illusion of real. The superior soundstage, imaging, and dynamics set it aside from the OB series.  The absolute lack of distortion makes this a truly top notch speaker. 
For my definitely aging ears, the LS-6 was clearly a better speaker.  I felt strongly enough that I am building the LS-9's, which are a small step up from the 6's. 
Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:06 am »
Also what are the v-1's that I have been reading about?  Is it a new speaker? 

Yep, new speaker. A new favorite speaker.  :green:

Here is the thread discussing it from the beginning.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.0

Customer comments and their completed pairs:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69484.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69909.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67077.0

I also just completed the design of it's little brother, the V-2 (the Venuette). You can see info on it here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71213.0

Some more info on the Venuette here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71176.0

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:21 am »

S Clark

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:15 am »
One thing is for sure, the V-1 kit is a heckuva lot easier to put together than the LS-6 kit.  And the bass from the V-1 is amazingly accurate.

Nick77

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:03 am »
     Yep, new speaker. A new favorite speaker.

This begs the question, do you think the V1 excels over the LS6?

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:02 pm »

This begs the question, do you think the V1 excels over the LS6?
[/quote]

From what I have read, in some rooms and situations the V1 would be a better choice.  I know for my future room 10 x 16 the V1 would be on the top of my list.   :thumb:

The line arrays work best when you give them space to breathe.  The V1 being a perfect point source is easier to work with in smaller rooms.  Also the OB subs don't load the room with bass like other designs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:48 pm »
The V-1 has more transparency and certainly better bass response.

Like HT cOz mentioned already, it has the versatility that allows it to easily work well in any sized room. That is a huge plus.

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:30 pm »
Derrell said that he is planning to dedicate a room to the system, so I would bet that the LS6 would have enough room.  I still like the LS6 slightly over the latest version of the V-1, but the V-1 is soooooo much easier to assemble, and easier to power.  Either speaker will keep you happy for a very long time. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
I would most certainly consider room size with the LS6.

I honestly feel like you need a much bigger room then I currently have to get the most out of them.

My room is 13x19x8, and everyday I struggle convincing myself it sounds okay.

They do some things amazingly well like dynamics, but there are problems I have ever day becuase of how they are positioned in my room.

My midrange is totally chaos right now. There is an upper mid-range glaring, and the lower midrange gets swallowed up by the bass, so I lose a lot of vocal detail...

The room is treated, but obviously not enough or properly....

Its one big mess; but I hate to get rid of them because of the things they do well..

However, its a struggle to sit down and enjoy them the way it sounds now, and I am having a hard time fixing it...

I only share all this because I think the LSs might be better then the V-1s in a bigger room, but they are VERY room dependent.