Inglorious Bastards

santacore

Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:44 pm »
Great performance. I really like this movie a lot.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:02 pm »
Great performance. I really like this movie a lot.

I thought the movie was evil.   

I didn't see much difference between the Americans and the Nazis and thought it dishonored the memory of the soldiers who died fighting that war.   

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:09 pm »
I loved this movie! Ever since Kill Bill 1 & 2 (3 in 2013) I have turned into a big QT fan! I am working on seeing all his movies. He makes movies seem so real yet they also have this "campy" feel too them, sometimes very subtle, but it is there. Just like in Hostil 1 & 2. Everyone told me how scary and gory these movies were but I did not have the reaction at all. I found QT all over them and looking forward to Hostil 3
Another one is Deathproof. A great car chase scene!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:16 pm »
I thought the movie was evil.   

I didn't see much difference between the Americans and the Nazis and thought it dishonored the memory of the soldiers who died fighting that war.   

Kevin - You might be missing the point. Soldiers died on both sides and none of them started the fight. The difference between sides depends entirely on where your sympathies lie.

War is absurd and this is not the first film to illustrate that point.

Das Boot was a great example. By the end of that film most Americans found themselves rooting for the Germans because of how cleverly the whole proposition was delivered.

wje

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:21 pm »
:thumb:

What did you think of the performance by Christoph Waltz (German interrogation officer)?

He played the part wonderfully.  He was so intense ... even while eating his strudel in the restaurant.  I'm a big Quentin Terrantino fan - that guy is off the hook.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:22 pm »
Kevin - You might be missing the point. Soldiers died on both sides and none of them started the fight. The difference between sides depends entirely on where your sympathies lie.

War is absurd and this is not the first film to illustrate that point.

I bet money that ole Quentin has never been on the receiving end of a bullet.    His "stylistic" display of excessive violence is certainly absurd.    And since he has never been in a war, I doubt he has one iota of a clue what absurdity he is representing.

If you think that the only difference between sides is due to perspective I respectfully disagree. 

budyog

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:44 pm »
I bet money that ole Quentin has never been on the receiving end of a bullet.    His "stylistic" display of excessive violence is certainly absurd.    And since he has never been in a war, I doubt he has one iota of a clue what absurdity he is representing.

If you think that the only difference between sides is due to perspective I respectfully disagree.

But is is just a movie and movies are made about everything.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:55 pm »

Opposite sides means opposite perspectives. That can't be argued against.

srb

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:00 pm »
His "stylistic" display of excessive violence is certainly absurd.

The Hitler regime engaged in the most violent, sadistic and hateful behaviour in history, particularly toward the Jews.  I applaud Tarantino's vision of how those actions might have been met.

Maybe it will be a wakeup call to the present, and the handcuffs will come off.

Steve

droht

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:05 pm »

Yikes.  Maybe we should stick to talking about expensive cables that transform our listening experiences.  Movies are apparently a bit too much for some of us to handle. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm »
But is is just a movie and movies are made about everything.

Yea... maybe that is a problem.    Movies are just another way of telling a story and communicating ideas.   We are what we eat and that goes for food and ideas.    A steady consumption of that kind of trash across an entire culture has happened many times before.   When people don't recognize the evil in gratuitous violence there really is not much difference between us and any other historical culture that has embraced that as entertainment. 

I prefer to recognize it for what it is.   It is the adolescent display of fantasy in a way that encourages the exercise of enjoyment of human misery, torture and violence.   Quentin likes to exercise his display of violent masturbation on the screen and pretend he is proving some point or that he is somehow uncovering some cultural secret.    He is just uncovering the ugliness inside human nature and it is something that we shouldn't forget or ignore but it never should be acknowledged as greatness or genius.    It is what it is.... ugly, without virtue and with no redeeming value.     

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:15 pm »
Opposite sides means opposite perspectives. That can't be argued against.

Sure... but that is an escapist philosophy for forgoing your responsibility to judge.    It is like saying everything is relative.   It might be technically right in terms of the way Einstein meant it in relation to the physical world but it was never meant to apply to human moral behavior.    That was seized upon and thought by other twisted and mentally unstable philosophers and was the root of the evil in Hitler's Germany.   

budyog

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:21 pm »
Yea... maybe that is a problem.    Movies are just another way of telling a story and communicating ideas.   We are what we eat and that goes for food and ideas.    A steady consumption of that kind of trash across an entire culture has happened many times before.   When people don't recognize the evil in gratuitous violence there really is not much difference between us and any other historical culture that has embraced that as entertainment. 

I prefer to recognize it for what it is.   It is the adolescent display of fantasy in a way that encourages the exercise of enjoyment of human misery, torture and violence.   Quentin likes to exercise his display of violent masturbation on the screen and pretend he is proving some point or that he is somehow uncovering some cultural secret.    He is just uncovering the ugliness inside human nature and it is something that we shouldn't forget or ignore but it never should be acknowledged as greatness or genius.    It is what it is.... ugly, without virtue and with no redeeming value.

Kevin,
 Just curious, why did you see this movie? Are you not familiar with QT and his movies? What did you expect?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:25 pm »

The Hitler regime engaged in the most violent, sadistic and hateful behaviour in history, particularly toward the Jews.  I applaud Tarantino's vision of how those actions might have been met.

Maybe it will be a wakeup call to the present, and the handcuffs will come off.

Steve

Actually the Germans were more humane in some ways than the Japanese in WWII.    The Japanese systematically killed millions of Chinese during their occupation and they tortured, murdered and raped women and children on a scale that surpasses the Holocaust.    It just happened to a culture that doesn't happen to make movies, sell books and have much value in American storytelling.   

The Japanese were also systematically much less humane in their treatment of prisoners due to the cultural differences on how they viewed war and the value of the individual and a warriors duty in relation to society.    The mortality rate of POWs in Japan was around 38%.   In Germany the POW mortality rate was just above 1%.   

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:26 pm »
Good on you Kevin. :thumb:

I haven't seen Inglorious Basterds yet but QT's other movies seem to relish and wallow in gratuitous violence. In a time in which use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" has been rationalized to be part of our national security policy, it's disturbing that movies like this achieve such popularity... fantasy or not.

-Roy
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2010, 07:00 pm by rajacat »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:36 pm »
Kevin,
 Just curious, why did you see this movie? Are you not familiar with QT and his movies? What did you expect?

Actually, my son brought it home and I didn't know anything about it before watching it.    It isn't what I'd encourage people to let their kids watch but my son has this fascination with Nazi Germany and I figured the 'R' rating was for the same reason other war movies are rated 'R'.   

It actually opened up a "teachable moment" in terms of discussing why this movie was evil.    He is at that age where he thinks I'm stupid but that is part of being a teenager.    I wanted him to understand that Nazis are not the only ones that are capable of acting that way.    Humans have a unique capacity for ugliness and it isn't unique to Germans.   

budyog

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:53 pm »
Actually, my son brought it home and I didn't know anything about it before watching it.    It isn't what I'd encourage people to let their kids watch but my son has this fascination with Nazi Germany and I figured the 'R' rating was for the same reason other war movies are rated 'R'.   

It actually opened up a "teachable moment" in terms of discussing why this movie was evil.    He is at that age where he thinks I'm stupid but that is part of being a teenager.    I wanted him to understand that Nazis are not the only ones that are capable of acting that way.    Humans have a unique capacity for ugliness and it isn't unique to Germans.

Just for he record, I consider all QT movies to be "B" class movies! That is what I expect and that is how I view them. Nothing of value, just some shock and some awe. Nothing more.
I do like how he tries to make them with some filming quality and how they have "real" feel too them. He leaves few stones unturned. It is in your face "B" movie making at its best.

His movies that I have been watching in the last year have put many other movies in my book to shame! My wife and I just watched "District 9" the other night and we guessed the whole movie in the first 15 minutes! She did not even finish it, she also did not finish GB as a bit to gory for her.
We also watch "Paranormal Activity" the other day and we both thought, how stupid! What a dumb movie and not scary either!

I guess, with not many great movies to see these days, QT makes movie watching for me entertainment, and for some, a good teaching tool too!

Kevin, I just got notice that my son (19 1/2) thinks he can have a better life on his own and is moving out at the end of the month! A bit of shock and awe for me! My daughter is extremly happy! Always something good with something bad and something bad with something good, you found some good in GB!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:06 pm »

Kevin, I just got notice that my son (19 1/2) thinks he can have a better life on his own and is moving out at the end of the month! A bit of shock and awe for me! My daughter is extremly happy! Always something good with something bad and something bad with something good, you found some good in GB!

I bet it will be a little shock and awe for him too!  ;-)   

I let my kids know that they have 18 years of free-loading and on the day after their 18th B-day they better have a plan that includes work & rent.   I'm not beyond helping them in any way I can but that doesn't mean paying for college while they party.   It means I'll help them sign up for scholarships or help them decide which branch of the military best fits their needs. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:09 pm »
I have two sons, one a freshman in college and the other a senior in H.S. They both live at home and will throughout their time at our local college. I'm aware that they will be leaving home someday just as I am aware that my mother will die eventually. I am not looking forward to either of these inevitabilities. My kids are welcome to freeload with me as long as they wish and I would find a way to make room in my small house for mom too if she wanted or needed it.

re:The movie in question - The Germans' most high profile character in the film was as cold and sadistic as Hannibal Lector. The Brad Pitt character was a heartless basterd. Both were calculating and evil to the core. Pitt, however, had the benefit of playing for the good guys.
One was spit and polish military precision. The other was a renegade loose cannon. The other less visible faction was the French Resistance. They, of course, would be viewed as terrorists or insurgents by the Germans. What is the difference between a soldier and a terrorist? Methods? Uniforms? Funding? Government sanction? Righteous cause?
Do you seriously view a movie such as Inglorious Basterds as propaganda? Do you see the violence in this film as somehow worse than that which you might encounter in a murder mystery or a slasher flick?

I enjoyed it tremendously for the fact that it encourages thoughtful discussion. I'm glad you are here to disagree. We were getting way too many Amen!!s and too few WTFs.

Just try to keep an open mind. Not too orthodox and not too reflexive.

martyo

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:19 pm »
The other less visible faction was the French Resistance. They, of course, would be viewed as terrorists or insurgents by the Germans. What is the difference between a soldier and a terrorist? Methods? Uniforms? Funding? Government sanction? Righteous cause?
Uh huh, that is THE question.