Inglorious Bastards

jimdgoulding

Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:30 pm »
Damn fine post, jack.  Tarantino is wacko for gratutious over the top violence.  My wife won't watch his movies.  I think he has creative genius but don't like his violence.  He's a writer first to me.  And that was absent in the Kill Bill's.  True Romance is, IMO, incredible writing and imagination.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:34 pm »
re:The movie in question - The Germans' most high profile character in the film was as cold and sadistic as Hannibal Lector. The Brad Pitt character was a heartless basterd. Both were calculating and evil to the core. Pitt, however, had the benefit of playing for the good guys.
One was spit and polish military precision. The other was a renegade loose cannon. The other less visible faction was the French Resistance. They, of course, would be viewed as terrorists or insurgents by the Germans. What is the difference between a soldier and a terrorist? Methods? Uniforms? Funding? Government sanction? Righteous cause?

Based upon their behavior, I couldn't call any of them good guys.   

Do you seriously view a movie such as Inglorious Basterds as propaganda? Do you see the violence in this film as somehow worse than that which you might encounter in a murder mystery or a slasher flick?

No to the first and yes to the second.   It isn't so much propaganda in terms of some faction trying to influence my behavior, beliefs and thoughts.  It is more of an issue of just becoming tolerant of the intolerable.  There are ways of both showing murder or the results of war that have nothing to do with glorifying the act of violence.   An example of the first would be something like "Saving Private Ryan".   An example of the second is Inglorious Bastards.   It is more like sitting around the Colosseum as a bunch of Romans and enjoying the spectacle of carnage.    One shows violence in a historical perspective without making the act of torture and murder cool.   The other is solely an act of enjoyment of the act.    It is like the difference between seeing a sex scene in a movie and a gang rape.    They both are essentially the same act but they have radically different moral implications.   

I enjoyed it tremendously for the fact that it encourages thoughtful discussion. I'm glad you are here to disagree. We were getting way too many Amen!!s and too few WTFs.

I could have a discussion about sex with my kids without a trip to the cat house.   The same is true of this subject.   You don't have to wallow around in the gutter to talk about violence and the brutal aspects of human nature.   

Just try to keep an open mind. Not too orthodox and not too reflexive.
Keeping an open mind is overrated.    Should I keep an open mind about torture?   How about rape?   How about random violence?   We should call a spade a spade and not be ashamed of making such a stand on such topics.    There is nothing in Inglorious Bastards that is worth calling a moral lesson.   Its sole purpose is to enjoy the act of violence and torture in a way that feels good.    It is fantasy entertainment of the worst kind.   

srb

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:48 pm »
It is fantasy entertainment of the worst kind.

Did you turn it off after the first 30 minutes?  I'm guessing you watched the whole movie.

Steve

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:04 pm »

Did you turn it off after the first 30 minutes?  I'm guessing you watched the whole movie.

Steve

You guessed wrong.   :lol:

srb

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:12 pm »
You guessed wrong.   :lol:

That's why I was careful to say guessed instead of bet!  Out of curiosity, at what point/scene did you decide to bail?

Steve

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:18 pm »

That's why I was careful to say guessed instead of bet!  Out of curiosity, at what point/scene did you decide to bail?

Steve

I got up and turned it off when the guy took the baseball bat to the Nazi.   I shouldn't have let it go that long. 

I'm not a prude and I've been in a war.   I've seen people made into scraps of burnt flesh.   I just don't think that it should be respectable as entertainment.   

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #46 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:21 pm »
Too much protest, Kevin. As someone mentioned earlier, it's just a movie. But as an art form it is showing itself to have been very powerful. It got under your skin. This is what art is supposed to do, transcend the rational defenses and superimpose itself on your psyche. There was something about this film that you found deeply disturbing. However, your comments about the nature and quality of the piece are completely unconvincing since so many other films violate your principles and beliefs in exactly the same way.
Did you ever see "Seven"? That was Brad Pitt too, and Morgan Freeman. Have you seen fingers removed and faces mutilated in films? I have. And often these atrocities are much more incongruous and gratuitous than the scalpings or stranglings or mass shootings of the Basterds movie. However, if srb is wrong, you didn't actually see much of that anyway.

It's entertainment to some but not to you. Isn't that enough said? Why the inflammatory condemnation? Think back to Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Deer Hunter. These films were evil too. In fact, one could posit that Hollywood strives to provide us with the lurid, disgusting, terrifying , gross aspects of life to the exclusion of all else. But, like audio manufacturers, they go where their clientele leads them. Nothing succeeds like success.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #47 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:29 pm »
Too much protest, Kevin. As someone mentioned earlier, it's just a movie. But as an art form it is showing itself to have been very powerful. It got under your skin. This is what art is supposed to do, transcend the rational defenses and superimpose itself on your psyche. There was something about this film that you found deeply disturbing. However, your comments about the nature and quality of the piece are completely unconvincing since so many other films violate your principles and beliefs in exactly the same way.
Did you ever see "Seven"? That was Brad Pitt too, and Morgan Freeman. Have you seen fingers removed and faces mutilated in films? I have. And often these atrocities are much more incongruous and gratuitous than the scalpings or stranglings or mass shootings of the Basterds movie. However, if srb is wrong, you didn't actually see much of that anyway.

It's entertainment to some but not to you. Isn't that enough said? Why the inflammatory condemnation? Think back to Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Deer Hunter. These films were evil too. In fact, one could posit that Hollywood strives to provide us with the lurid, disgusting, terrifying , gross aspects of life to the exclusion of all else. But, like audio manufacturers, they go where their clientele leads them. Nothing succeeds like success.

You know... I find a lot of these movies more objectionable the older I get.    :lol:    There is either something about youth that blinds you to certain things or something about old age and becoming a parent that changes your perspective.    Guilty as charged.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:30 pm »
Kevin-  Hi.  I can relate.  I'm wondering when watching that scene is this is gonna be another Kill Bill (when what I was hoping for was a True Romance)?  Think the KB's suck.  My daughter's friends thought it was so cool.  Thought Basterds overall was a return to what I admire from him . . imagination and writing.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #49 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:32 pm »
Kevin,
    Were you not familiar with any of Quentin Tarantino's past films? Did you not see Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction?

You had to know somewhat what to expect with GB. I cant believe you were expecting something less.

I guess I compare him to Frank Zappa! 

srb

« Reply #50 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:38 pm »
I got up and turned it off when the guy took the baseball bat to the Nazi.   I shouldn't have let it go that long. 

I'm not a prude and I've been in a war.   I've seen people made into scraps of burnt flesh.   I just don't think that it should be respectable as entertainment.

I can understand that.  I will say that your previously mentioned movie for comparison, Saving Private Ryan, even with it's historical relevance, repulsed me with it's graphical accuracy in the first minute more so than the Inglorious Basterds scene you mentioned.

I guess I just don't see a difference between sending a hail of bullets into a soldiers chest, neck and skull from 50 yards and beating his skull in with a baseball bat from 2 feet.  Perhaps I should, but I don't.

Still, I didn't find the violence gratuitous in that just enough was shown to make the story felt and real.  Knowing Tarantino's work and style, I think he showed some restraint!

Steve

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #51 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:40 pm »
Kevin,
    Were you not familiar with any of Quentin Tarantino's past films? Did you not see Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction?

You had to know somewhat what to expect with GB. I cant believe you were expecting something less.

I guess I compare him to Frank Zappa!

I saw Pulp Fiction and some vampire movie I think he made.    Are all of his movies this bad?   

When my son brought it home the only thing I knew about it was that it was a WWII flick.    In general, I enjoy any historical movies.    I really liked Flags of our Fathers and I'm reading the book now.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm »
Have to say that I think Pulp is a benchmark for him for reasons already stated.  Also, that vampire movie totally stunk.  But there is an audience for that kind of overindulgence, as you eluded to.  A pitiful waste if you ask me.  Just my opinion.

budyog

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:53 pm »
I saw Pulp Fiction and some vampire movie I think he made.    Are all of his movies this bad?   

When my son brought it home the only thing I knew about it was that it was a WWII flick.    In general, I enjoy any historical movies.    I really liked Flags of our Fathers and I'm reading the book now.

Fare enough!

There is something more to his movies to me then just the movie and I feel he is getting better at his art. I like the scenery, the music he uses, the way he draws me into the movie, hard for me to describe, but many movies to me just don't compare. (I also like historic war movies) I said it before "B" movies and not movies I take serious, but he does entertain me and they sound good!
Cheers! :beer:

droht

« Reply #54 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm »
With regard to the graphic violence QT is over the top to be sure.  Nothing like Uma taking out the Crazy 88s in KB1 with fountains of blood spraying all over the place.  Comic bookish.  I don't relish seeing violence, but I will say I much prefer how Tarantino does it in comparison to flicks like the latest Star Trek, which mostly shows the violent act but not the result.  Network TV is much like that.  The sanitization of violence is perhaps the worst thing I find our entertainment industry to be guilty of.

One of Tarantino's most famous scenes is the ear removal in Reservoir Dogs.  He never shows the knife slicing through flesh, but does show the result, and the reaction of the cop.  That seems like a pretty real portrayal of violence to me, though I've never had my ear cut off (or cut off someone's ear).  Is it entertaining?  Not by itself, but in the context of a flick about some very violent guys it works. 

No one has to like what Tarantino does, but it is not evil.  Transformers 2 is more evil in my book.

ctviggen

« Reply #55 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:22 pm »
With regard to the graphic violence QT is over the top to be sure.  Nothing like Uma taking out the Crazy 88s in KB1 with fountains of blood spraying all over the place.  Comic bookish.  I don't relish seeing violence, but I will say I much prefer how Tarantino does it in comparison to flicks like the latest Star Trek, which mostly shows the violent act but not the result.  Network TV is much like that.  The sanitization of violence is perhaps the worst thing I find our entertainment industry to be guilty of.

I prefer sanitizing violence.  I don't see a need to see the end result.  I remember watching a movie made sometime in the 50s or so and then the remake.  In the earlier movie, they hid the violence.  In the new movie, they showed the violence and its results.  I vastly preferred the earlier movie. 

For instance, I forget the movie, but they showed that a horse and rider had fallen into a pit of stakes.  You knew they had fell to their deaths, and that's all you needed to know.  Yet, they showed the horse and rider skewered with stakes.  Why? 

I do realize that showing the violence and results thereof has its place, such as at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan.  I just think it's way over done today, for no good reason. 

budyog

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm »
I prefer sanitizing violence.  I don't see a need to see the end result.  I remember watching a movie made sometime in the 50s or so and then the remake.  In the earlier movie, they hid the violence.  In the new movie, they showed the violence and its results.  I vastly preferred the earlier movie. 

For instance, I forget the movie, but they showed that a horse and rider had fallen into a pit of stakes.  You knew they had fell to their deaths, and that's all you needed to know.  Yet, they showed the horse and rider skewered with stakes.  Why? 

I do realize that showing the violence and results thereof has its place, such as at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan.  I just think it's way over done today, for no good reason.

But even in QT films, he doesn't always show the whole act, he does show you just enough of the act and you your mind does the rest.
Yes he sometimes shows you more than none, but he cuts (no pun intended) before the act is finished. That is a part of why I like his films. Some, he follows through, but not all. That is the campiness (wrong word and wrong spelling) to his movies I find a bit humorous!

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:41 pm »
oIt actually opened up a "teachable moment" in terms of discussing why this movie was evil.    He is at that age where he thinks I'm stupid but that is part of being a teenager.    I wanted him to understand that Nazis are not the only ones that are capable of acting that way.    Humans have a unique capacity for ugliness and it isn't unique to Germans.
And this movie did a great job at showing us that the Nazis were not the only sadistic terrible people in that war.

srb

« Reply #58 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:48 pm »
I think the attraction to Tarantino films is the craftsman approach to filmaking.  Screenplay, camera work, dialogue, music and yes, humor, all working together.

My very favorite writer/director/craftstmen are the Coen brothers, who most often accomplish all of that in spades.  Many of their movies have a violent aspect, sometimes framed in humor.

In Fargo, when Steve Buscemi makes a ransom pickup gone bad and gets shot in the face, I actually laughed out loud.  In itself, not a funny concept, but the way it was presented evoked some humor.

I have almost all of their films, and while not every one is a masterpiece, I enjoy the thoughtfulness and detail to their craft on each film.  The same for Tarantino, although perhaps to a somewhat lesser degree.

Steve

Wind Chaser

« Reply #59 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm »
Great discussion.  Kevin certainly has to be respected for his POV.  The older I get and the more I see how our society is changing, the more I am inclined to agree with him.