OB-7's

rocketman4274

OB-7's
« on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:39 am »
Hello everybody my name is Chris.I have been a member for awhile but have never posted here.I just ordered one of Danny's OB-7 Kits a couple of days ago and am awaiting it's arrival.I ordered one of Denny's Flat Pack Kits from Bill at BellaExtreme and am awaiting that also.This is my first atempt at speaker building,that is the reasoning behind the flat pack as I have no major wood working equipment like a table saw.I hope I have not bitten off too much.I researched kits for several months and Danny's offer alot for the dollar amount.I sure would like some tips from some of you who have any experiance,it would sure be a big help.

cujobob

Re: OB-7's
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:42 am »
I have a pair of OB7s that started with the exact same flatpack and while I did not build them myself (and thusly can't offer much in that regard), I just want to say that you're in for a treat when they're all finished.  AFAIK, the flatpacks did all of the difficult work for you...and I believe Bill even has a thread detailing all of the work that went into building the pair I purchased off of him.  I'll look for a link, but you can definitely do this!

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:47 am »

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:51 am »
I made a thread on building a pair from those exact flatpacks here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50784.0

One thing I know I would do a bit different, after building more speakers since then, is to use bondo glazing instead of the wood filler. With Denny's flat packs there really isn't going to need to be any sizeable filling. The glazing is more appropriate for the type of small defects you are likely to see.  I appreciated how precise that flatpack was cut after cutting my own mdf for a few different speaker projects!

Be sure to get enough clamps.

How are you going to finish them?

If there are any questions, please post them. There are quite a few people willing to help.

-Tony

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:52 am »
Cujobob, you beat me!  aa

newportcycle

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 09:13 am »
With flat packs you will only need a tape measure, square, and clamps.  As has already been said, dont scrimp on the clamps.  Take your time, measure everything twice and check for square in every direction, if things are not right loosen your clamps and get things squared up before you proceed.  Good luck, you'll do fine.

rocketman4274

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2009, 07:05 am »
Thanks for all the advice.About how many clamps?I have not decided on what finish yet.I have no experiance with veneer.I remember one kit manufacture from the UK that sold iron on veneer with their kits,anybody ever seen any of that?It sounds cheap but I have no idea.Again thanks for the info,I will check out the post and keep you updated after the kits arrive.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:53 am »

HT cOz

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:37 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.About how many clamps?

Good question.  I'm right with you on this being my first project.  I'm the gathering parts mode.  My room will be ready next March so I still have some time.

This is a good source for veneer. http://www.formwood.com/sale_items.php

My plan is to use yellow glue and then iron on. 

Good Luck and keep us posted with your progress.

newportcycle

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:25 pm »
5 or 6 - 30" clamps should get you started fine. I'm rather partial to contact cements for veneers, I've used both the water borne and solvent types both worked equally well, the water borne tended to make the veneer curl more, but both hold very well.  I was always afraid of making a mistake with the iron on stuff.  http://www.joewoodworker.com/index.html these guys distribute some nice stuff very reasonable in price and they offer great email support.  Good luck, youll do fine, please post some photos when you get started.

rocketman4274

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:18 am »
Thank you both.That Joe The Wood Worker Site is unreal.I had no idea there were so many ways to attach veneer.It looks like a must read if I decide to go that route.
 The driver kit came today along with the no-rez I orderd.I am now waiting on Bill's flat pack.The cross over stuff sure looks like a bunch to get to fit in the bottom of the cabinet.I have read several others had trouble trying to get the crossovers to fit.I think an outboard box setup would be the best route.Again thanks for the info,I am sure I will need more advice,Chris

Nick77

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2009, 12:04 pm »
Myself and others have found approx half pound of Acousticstuff per cabinet has worked really well. I used iron on method with yellow glue for veneer with raw burl walnut. As with a few others also opted for external crossovers.

Good luck on the build, you will like the results.

dvenardos

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:12 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.About how many clamps?

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a clamp set and/or specific clamps?

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:19 pm »
I got 24" metal clamps at menards for abouut $10 each. the 36" were a couple bucks more.

Nick77

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:20 pm »
Might check out Harbor Freight, their pipe clamps are pretty cheap.

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:22 pm »
if you have time to order, might take a look here...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=140020

rocketman4274

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2009, 04:38 am »
 Nick77 I hope mine come out as nice as yours.I orderd two sheets of No Rez as suggested in the ad.Where do I get the Acustistuff?Did you use any no-rez?The yellow glue would be like Elmers Wood Glue?How many sheets of veneer did it take and at what size sheets?Clamps should be 24"&36"?I am partially disabled so I will be doing one cabinet at a time so that will cut down on the number of clamps.I think one of the other guys said ten is what he used.Thank all of you for the info.   Chris

dvenardos

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2009, 05:58 am »
The yellow glue would be like Elmers Wood Glue?How many sheets of veneer did it take and at what size sheets?
With the iron-on method you can use any PVA glue yellow or white. The Elmer's wood glue would be a yellow PVA glue.

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2009, 11:52 am »
Nick77 I hope mine come out as nice as yours.I orderd two sheets of No Rez as suggested in the ad.Where do I get the Acustistuff?Did you use any no-rez?The yellow glue would be like Elmers Wood Glue?How many sheets of veneer did it take and at what size sheets?Clamps should be 24"&36"?I am partially disabled so I will be doing one cabinet at a time so that will cut down on the number of clamps.I think one of the other guys said ten is what he used.Thank all of you for the info.   Chris

The stuffing is used in addition to the noRez and comes from Parts Express.
Yes i also used norez in my speakers and I only veneered the front baffles and the rear's are black. I bought 2 sheets of veneer that were approx the same size as baffles and used 1 sheet per. I rounded the edge as much as possible to wrap edge. Thanks for the compliment.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-317%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&FTR=filling&CFID=19818063&CFTOKEN=77024115
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2009, 03:47 pm by Nick77 »

rocketman4274

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2009, 12:16 pm »
  Nick many thanks.I have dealt with parts express several times.I am still waiting on the flat packs