GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers now available
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2008, 11:44 pm »
To update progress on the OB-7 Deluxe speakers. I have the crossovers built but not the cabinets yet. I wanted to get the crossovers built first to be able to figure out the layout to accommodate the BMS (bass management system) and TLC (tweeter level control).

The crossover enclosure itself will be approximately 11"W x 13"D x 5"H to be able to house all the components involved. They will weigh in at about 15 lbs. each. The back plate will house two sets of speaker binding post for bi-amp/bi-wire capability, 2 Speak-On connectors (one 2 pole, one 4 pole) to connect the crossover to the speaker cabinets and 3 switches for the BMS and 1 for the TLC.

The custom umbilical cords will be made using DH Labs Silver Plated Copper wire. There will be nearly 40 feet of cable used within the a complete set of speakers. This includes the internal wiring as well as the umbilical cords.

The speaker cabinets themselves will house a custom back plate with two more Speak-On connectors.

Once everything is up and running, I will fine tune the BMS and TLC further to provide sufficient range to accommodate different listening environments.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2008, 04:43 am »
I still get a lot of questions about these speakers. I have asked those who have inquired to start posting their questions here at AC for all to read. This also helps me to be able to reply in one place and reach out to a lot of people.

Why did I start with the OB-7 when the OB-5 goes a bit deeper? This is the popular question right now. My reasoning is simple. I realize the OB-5 can go a bit deeper and one might be able to get by without a subwoofer but what I was looking for was less distortion and more speed down below. I am a big fan of smaller drivers in a sealed enclosure as they are very fast and articulate. I am wiling to sacrifice a few Hz for this. There is also the fact that the OB-7's are available with the upgraded M130X woofer which offer less distortion. This is how my pair are equipped.

I will be using these speakers not only for auditioning but also as a reference for evaluating many of our products and modifications. The OB-5 will not be far behind anyway as well as the new subwoofers.

By this summer, you will be able to audition a good portion of Danny's designs here :drool:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2008, 12:42 am »
Progress is being made with my personal OB-7 Deluxe speakers. I do have to work on them between other customer's pieces so it may take me a few more days to complete them

I received my flat pack today and starting getting them together.

This first picture shows one of the baffles with the Cherry real wood veneer alreay applied.

Both baffles venered and holes routed out.

Here is one coat of Tung-Oil

One of the bass cabinets completed. These will be finished in black ash vinyl veneer to save some time. I think it will also be a nice contrast to the Cherry baffle full of black drivers!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: GR Research custom built Open Baffle speakers
« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:36 am »
Thanks for sharing these pictures! I got my flatpack today too. It really helps to see how you are putting them together. I have never built anything like this before.

Did you glue the bottom on? -not going to make it removable?... is that because you are doing an external crossover?

I need to go out and buy the clamps, I was just thinking about how many I should get...
I think I count 9 on yours, is that correct?

I also need to thank you for your tips on the bedliner spray from an older thread. Thats what I plan to do.

Please keep them coming...
-Tony

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:41 am »
Man you're quick   :D ......need a job??   :lol:

Tony, I'll post some step by step details to help walk you guys through the assembly.

Cheers

Larry McConville

« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:52 am »
Good Evening Denny/Gentlemen,

My flat pack arrives tomorrow; I'm absolutely beside myself with excitment! I'm also looking to see others builds as I haven't taken on a task like this before. Does anyone have pics of how they have laid-out the XO? I'll be hitting HD tomorrow to pick up clamps and glue.

Larry

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:07 am »
Wait till you fire 'em up!

Then you'll be beside your self....  8)

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:08 am »
Does anyone have pics of how they have laid-out the XO?

We'll help you through it Larry, no worries.  :P

Cheers

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2008, 12:33 pm »
Hi Tony,
 The more clamps you have, the quicker you will be able to build the cabinets. The ideal situation is to have enough to secure both cabinets at the same time. If not, it will have to be done in steps. Teh clamps you see in the picture were only to secure the top and bottom end caps after all the braces were installed, glued and dried.

When Denny post the step-by-step instruction on his original post, read them carefully before spreading any glue. It's very easy to to make a mistake and even the slightest miscalculation can ruin your day once the glue dries.

When I bring in the OB-5's, I will not be building them myself as we will not be doing any assembley of the cabinets here.

The truck bed liner provides great results but will take some time. On any of the machines areas of MDF, you will have to apply a thin coat, let dry and sand. Then you can go through and do a complete coat

Did you glue the bottom on? -not going to make it removable?... is that because you are doing an external crossover?

Correct. My crossovers are external so there is no need for a removable bottom. I should be able to start tweaking the crossover next week!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:47 pm »
Yeah I think I am going to have to do one cabinet at a time. I am going to get 10 clamps. I didn't expect to need to put that much money into clamps!

Did you glue the back on at the same time as the braces?

Those instructions will sure be helpful.

Is it best to drill out the driver holes first before gluing on the front baffle? or after so its got something to support it?

Should I take a driver and mark the holes with the pencil into the mdf -using the driver as a template?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #30 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:30 pm »
Tony,

I'll post directions in the DIY thread over on the GR circle so that we don't have instructions all over the place.

Cheers

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #31 on: 8 Feb 2008, 05:21 pm »
A few more pictures.

Below are pictures of the bass cabinets with the vinyl veneer applied. The front bafle is NOT gued down yet as I have to do the internal wiring first.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2008, 12:09 am »
Well, they are DONE :green:. I will have them up and running tomorrow afternoon. My wife and I have 4 family members in the hospital with one passing away today so working on the speakers was my way of getting my mind off of everything going on. That is the only way I was able to get these speakers done start to finish in only 12 hours.

I will take final pictures tomorrow with them up and running in the system. I am evaluating the Jaton Operetta solid state amplifier and really liking it so I will use it to burn in the speakers at the same time.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #33 on: 9 Feb 2008, 12:33 am »
Man, I hate to hear that Bill! I hope you and your family are doing OK and I will be thinking about you!

nrenter

« Reply #34 on: 9 Feb 2008, 01:40 am »
Bill,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

- Nicholas

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2008, 04:29 am »
Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. We are now in a waiting period for some tests to come in on three people. One had a tumor removed thet is believed to be an aggressive cancer, one has blocked blood vessels and will be going in for surgery next week and the third had a heart attack and required surgery this evening. The person that passed away today lived a long life and it was one of those situations where we knew it was coming. Not that it makes it any easier.

It's been a very long week but we'll get through it. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. They say music sooths the soul and by tomorrow afternoon, I'll be soothing my soul through a fresh pair of speakers.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2008, 01:34 am »
I have started a new thread containing pictures of the OB-7 Deluxe speakers up and running in one of our systems. I wanted to consolidate the two threads we now have regarding these speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50778.0