7B SST2 vs 28 B SST2

mitcho

7B SST2 vs 28 B SST2
« on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:51 pm »
last post prior to purchasing one of the amps.  As you said the demo is everything, but I have not been able to demo here so my purchase of the BP26 and BDA-1 was on blind faith.  Will have to do the same on one of the amps.

The 7B SST2 received trickle down technology from the 28.  What did it receive?   Does it now have similar sonic traits of the 28?   I don't have the funds to spend on the 28.   

It seems in the 28 reviews, the input topology of the amps seem to stand out as having a lot to do with the sonics of the amps i.e. balanced signal.   Did the 7B and 14B receive this?   I believe they did.   

I assume then, the 7B's and the 14B now have some of the positive traits of the 28 whereas the 2, 3 and 4 have less of the traits and don't have this input topology. 

So even though the extra power gives you better control etc., the new circuits/ outputs seem to be a large reason for the better sonics.   Usually  you find a drier / clinical amp with more power, yet the 28 seems to give you a more natural feel in the mids and highs which is opposite to what you would normally expect.    Wondering if you would get a lot of those traits in the 7B?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 7B SST2 vs 28 B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:16 pm »
last post prior to purchasing one of the amps.  As you said the demo is everything, but I have not been able to demo here so my purchase of the BP26 and BDA-1 was on blind faith.  Will have to do the same on one of the amps.

The 7B SST2 received trickle down technology from the 28.  What did it receive?   Does it now have similar sonic traits of the 28?   I don't have the funds to spend on the 28.   

It seems in the 28 reviews, the input topology of the amps seem to stand out as having a lot to do with the sonics of the amps i.e. balanced signal.   Did the 7B and 14B receive this?   I believe they did.   

I assume then, the 7B's and the 14B now have some of the positive traits of the 28 whereas the 2, 3 and 4 have less of the traits and don't have this input topology. 

So even though the extra power gives you better control etc., the new circuits/ outputs seem to be a large reason for the better sonics.   Usually  you find a drier / clinical amp with more power, yet the 28 seems to give you a more natural feel in the mids and highs which is opposite to what you would normally expect.    Wondering if you would get a lot of those traits in the 7B?

Hi mitcho

Yes the 7B SQ and the 14B SQ got all the changes filtered down from the 28B design philosophy. The 2,3 and 4B SQ got some of those changes.

james

mitcho

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2009, 04:41 pm »
thanks for the information.  it is what I thought.  I ordered and paid for a pair of 7B's this morning.  It was a stretch, but I thought I should give them a try.

If they are anywhere close to the 28's, they should be great. 

So going from no Bryston to now getting the 7B SST2, BP26 and BDA-1 in a month.  A good start/ finish.  I am looking forward to the 7B.    thanks to all that gave me info on the amp including James.  (this and a few threads)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2009, 01:26 am by mitcho »

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2009, 01:25 am »
Congarts Mitcho,your simalar to me 2-3 pcs. at a time aa.

mitcho

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:27 am »

just thought I should finish it off right away.   I tend to like having the same manufactured equipment.  Nothing like having an amp/ preamp that were designed at similar times.  I would assume the amps were voiced using the BP26.  So I would think the synergy would be great between them.

now the wait.  I shipped off my old amp today.   :(   luckily have a back up for now.  The dealer was very helpful in this choice.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:49 am »

just thought I should finish it off right away.   I tend to like having the same manufactured equipment.  Nothing like having an amp/ preamp that were designed at similar times.  I would assume the amps were voiced using the BP26.  So I would think the synergy would be great between them.

now the wait.  I shipped off my old amp today.   :(   luckily have a back up for now.  The dealer was very helpful in this choice.

Hi mitcho - who is the dealer?

james

mitcho

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:53 am »
Bill McCulloch

Moon Doggy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:07 am »
Nice snag on the 7B SST(SQ). When I upgrade amps it'll be to monos. I've talked to Bill about some PMC speakers. Nice guy.

Enjoy :thumb:
MD

mitcho

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:26 am »
thanks for the response.   Yes I am looking forward to them.

Bill is a nice guy.   We have been doing business together for years.  Bought my first stereo from him 36 years ago.

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:20 pm »
Just so I have it clear,except for the added power(28s),the 7B-SST2s are exactly the same :scratch:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:37 pm »
Just so I have it clear,except for the added power(28s),the 7B-SST2s are exactly the same :scratch:.

Hi Don,

Yes that's correct.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:48 pm »
Hi James,Thanks. :thumb:.

mitcho

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm »
that sold me on them.  I was not able to demo them, but I was comfortable enough to purchase them after reading the reviews of the 28's.  One of the strong points was the first watt to last watt.   The majority of my listening is late at night at very low gain, so having amps that don't rob me of detail etc. at low volumes is a must.

looking forward to receiving them.

95Dyna

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2009, 02:24 pm »
Hi Mitcho,

Sounds like your path to the 7's is almost identical to mine.  I was seriously leaning toward the 28's at one point but they were pushing the limit for me in terms of placement restrictions and weight (at 58 a 92 lb. amp will get no easier to sling around going forward).  When I discovered that the 7's had all the technological updates ushered in by the 28's I was sold.  I just ordered a pair yesterday along with the BP26P.  I'm still deciding on the digital source but could still end up with the BCD-1 and possibly BDA-1.  I also had to rely on James, the good guys that participate on the Circle (especially werd and drummer) and a really knowledgeable and patient dealer, Galen Carol Audio.

Regards,

Bill

95Dyna

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:13 pm »
Mitcho,

This is off the subject but maybe there's a way to tie hockey to Bryston products.  I see you're from Winnipeg.  I live just outside Hershey, PA and understand there's a big game in town.  Go Bears!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

mitcho

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:20 pm »
Mitcho,

This is off the subject but maybe there's a way to tie hockey to Bryston products.  I see you're from Winnipeg.  I live just outside Hershey, PA and understand there's a big game in town.  Go Bears!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Go Moose.  Watching the game tonight and game 7 on Sunday!  Pretty balanced teams.

On the other post, I have the BP26 and BDA-1.  I really like both.  You won't regret either purchase.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:32 pm »
Hey Bill,
 Too bad you can't be here in Winnipeg to watch the Moose and Bears. The joint should be jumpin'  :) Maybe they will have the upper deck open with 15,000 packed in. Heres hoping!

James

mitcho

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:49 pm »
Hey Bill,
 Too bad you can't be here in Winnipeg to watch the Moose and Bears. The joint should be jumpin'  :) Maybe they will have the upper deck open with 15,000 packed in. Heres hoping!

James

They should have.... they have indicated it's been sold out for a number of days.

95Dyna

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:55 pm »
Hey Bill,

James

Yeah, it would be great to visit Winnipeg but my passport is expired and they won't let anyone in from the lower 48 without one.  Guess I'll have to watch it on the tube and count the hours until my 7B's arrive.  OK Mitcho, I'm curious as to what your alternate plans are for Sunday!! :lol:

mitcho

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:00 pm »
Hey Bill,

James

Yeah, it would be great to visit Winnipeg but my passport is expired and they won't let anyone in from the lower 48 without one.  Guess I'll have to watch it on the tube and count the hours until my 7B's arrive.  OK Mitcho, I'm curious as to what your alternate plans are for Sunday!! :lol:

You can get into Canada without the passport, you just won't be able to get back into your own country without it.  It's too bad, the passport issue really is putting a damper on travel.  Since I travelled outside NA, I had one, but I am sure quite a few are not going to get one.

No alternate plans for Sunday.   Should be a good game on Sunday.

Regardless, they are both very good teams and they seem to be very evenly matched.   Good luck.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009, 05:11 pm by mitcho »