Star Trek

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #40 on: 14 May 2009, 02:10 am »
and the sound track, well I sat through the credits simply to enjoy the sound track to the last note. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Apologies in advance for clipping the quote, but this is what I did. The sound in the theater I was in was loud , but clean, so I enjoyed it thoroughly. The sub-bass was as effective, and prodigious, as any movie I've ever seen. Should be a real home theater work horse when released.While a fan of the original series, and most of the derivatives, the one thing I had forgotten was the Spock/Uhura involvement. While I can see the point of those who felt a lack of heart, I found the theoretical science aspects fascinating. Overall a very good to excellent flesh out of what could have been an over beaten horse.

mjosef

« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2009, 05:19 am »
Well...something to look forward to on the DVD/BRay would be the eXtended Directors Edition. We all know how the studio people underestimate(?) the attention span of average movie goer, and they try to 'tailor' the flow of the movie... :roll:

Bigfish

« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2009, 03:10 pm »
I watched this movie yesterday (Sunday) and must agree with the previous posters.  This movie was great and the 2 hours went by so quickly I did not want it to end.  Everyone in the theater clapped when the credits came on.  There are few movies that deserve the hype they receive but this one is truly a must see!  Minimum of 4.5 stars out of 5!

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2009, 03:34 pm »
My boys (9 and 11) get to go to the movies with a neighbor at least 2-3 times a month, I just wait for the DVD and watch in my HT.  Based on the rave reviews from you guys I made my annual cinema trip and took everyone to a local IMAX this weekend - we all thought it was an incredible movie, action all the way with not one slow part at all.

Thanks for the reviews :thumb:

Now I've introduced my neighbor to IMAX he's got me lined up for the next Transformers and Harry Potter :duh:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2009, 05:07 pm »
Saw Star Trek yesterday, was a cool re-invention.  As origin stories go, I thought it was better than both Batman Begins and Superman Returns.  And I liked that they played Kirk as a character, not a caricature.  The fact that he spends the entire movie trying to fight and basically getting his @ss kicked was both ironic and hilarious :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2009, 11:27 pm »
Outstanding!!   :thumb: :thumb:

I saw it at the local IMAX and regular theater and will definitely buy it on Blu-ray when it comes out.

If you haven't seen it, go see it.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

George

Mariusz

« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2009, 01:32 am »
Excellent  :D
Definitely one of the best remakes and contender for Oscar nominations in
Best Sound, Editing & Special Effects category.

Easy 4.5 star score - could be 5 stars but I like to leave some room for possible upcoming surprises.

Mariusz

Mr Content

« Reply #47 on: 23 May 2009, 06:27 am »
I liked from the standpoint that they set the scence for a whole new movie series if they want to..........you can never have to much Sifi :thumb:

Mr C aa

PhilNYC

« Reply #48 on: 23 May 2009, 12:40 pm »
***************SPOILER*******************

When the Romulans dropped the drill into Earth, why did Spock need to take that ship to go after it?  Why couldn't someone from Starfleet attack it from Earth?

richidoo

« Reply #49 on: 23 May 2009, 01:06 pm »
Good movie, do it in IMAX if you can.  Music and soundtrack wwere excellent. Good story, I felt good after.

Mr Content

« Reply #50 on: 23 May 2009, 01:06 pm »

When the Romulans dropped the drill into Earth, why did Spock need to take that ship to go after it?  Why couldn't someone from Starfleet attack it from Earth?

Awe ..........you always spoil it for me  :thumb:

Mr C :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #51 on: 23 May 2009, 05:22 pm »

Wouldn't that be because Starfleet was practically wiped out after responding to the distress signal from Vulcan which left Earth vulnerable to attack? :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

ooheadsoo

Re: ***************SPOILER*******************
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2009, 06:58 am »

Wouldn't that be because Starfleet was practically wiped out after responding to the distress signal from Vulcan which left Earth vulnerable to attack? :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

Technically yes, but it doesn't make sense that they don't have ANY reserves at all.  No fixed battery emplacements?  Come on...
But who cares?  When a story/production engrosses you, you let the plot holes slide.  Star Trek has always been full of holes and inconsistencies.  The hardest core fans are the ones that find them all and publish books about them  :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2009, 12:25 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Technically yes, but it doesn't make sense that they don't have ANY reserves at all.  No fixed battery emplacements?  Come on...
But who cares?  When a story/production engrosses you, you let the plot holes slide.  Star Trek has always been full of holes and inconsistencies.  The hardest core fans are the ones that find them all and publish books about them  :thumb:

I agree that holes don't matter when a story/production completely engrosses you.  I guess this one didn't quite do it for me...I'd give the movie a solid "B" as an entertaining action movie; but there were too many times where I found myself scratching my head or rolling my eyes (eg Kirk on the ice planet, Scotty in the water tube, the above-mentioned thing with the drill on Earth, etc)...it had the opportunity to be a "legendary" film (a la The Matrix, T2, etc), but IMHO fell short.  And I'm not a huge Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination...

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2009, 01:42 pm »
I saw the movie and it was, "fascinating!"  :D

It was neat seeing Kirk's background, them adding some emotion to Spock and the graphics were very good. Never thought I'd see a dirty looking Starfleet ship with riveted girders, etc....  :scratch:  Plumbing looked good. Kind of looked like an oil refinery.

The characters did a good job.

Nick77

« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2009, 01:54 pm »
Saw the movie over the weekend and enjoyed it. Best movie i have ever seen as some have exclaimed, well no but I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The biggest disappointment for me was attending a theater with piss-poor sound system.  :duh:
I will definately rent the dvd to see what its like with some bass.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #56 on: 27 May 2009, 03:23 am »
Saw the movie over the weekend and enjoyed it. Best movie i have ever seen as some have exclaimed, well no but I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The biggest disappointment for me was attending a theater with piss-poor sound system.  :duh:
I will definately rent the dvd to see what its like with some bass.

I feel your pain but that's exactly why I drove 2.5 hours to the closest IMAX to watch this movie.  :D

Next up for the IMAX trip: Transformers II (june 24)

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #57 on: 27 May 2009, 11:34 pm »

I agree that holes don't matter when a story/production completely engrosses you.  I guess this one didn't quite do it for me...I'd give the movie a solid "B" as an entertaining action movie; but there were too many times where I found myself scratching my head or rolling my eyes (eg Kirk on the ice planet, Scotty in the water tube, the above-mentioned thing with the drill on Earth, etc)...it had the opportunity to be a "legendary" film (a la The Matrix, T2, etc), but IMHO fell short.  And I'm not a huge Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination...

Phil,

While I really liked this movie and give it a little better grade than you (a solid B+), I am in total agreement that it doesn't reach the legendary status of "The Matrix", "T2", "Empire Strikes Back", etc...

That being said, few films ever will.

Maybe the next Star Trek film will. 

George

ST-2A3

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:15 pm »
'Tis a good movie but not a very good or excellent movie.  All aspects of the film are at least good (expept IMO the music, which is quite uninspired)...BUT...it has no heart.  Gene Roddenberry's Star Treks had moral/ethical cores and lessons for us; this new movie is merely a space-based shoot-'em-up.  Too bad for us lovers of the Roddenberry stories; it's definitely a oncer for me.

Roddenberry was a nut job. As for the original trek, there were plenty of stories that had little or no moral/ethical story...

Yes I love the old show, but, it had its share of stinker episodes. Season 3 is full of them. So I will give a lot of slack to the writers of the latest movie.

ST-2A3

« Reply #59 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:17 pm »

That and the Nero had all the SF access codes from Pike...

Cheers,
Robin