Star Trek

BobM

Re: Star Trek
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2009, 11:42 am »
Definitely worth seeing. It was interesting how they tried to tap into some of the original characters foibles, mostly to good effect (made me smile). Not a 2x for me; I can wait for the DVD to come out before I see it again.

Now the GI Joe prequel that they showed does look interesting, in a boom - boom shoot en up way.

Bob

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2009, 01:18 pm »
My 9-year old daughter wants to join me to see the movie. Is it suitable for kids?

mcrespo71

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2009, 02:15 pm »
My 9-year old daughter wants to join me to see the movie. Is it suitable for kids?

There is some space violence, but I'd say it is suitable for kids.  Kirk does almost get down with a green alien in bed, but it doesn't happen in the end.   :nono:

Otherwise, I'd say if she could handle something like the newer Star Wars, the violence is on par.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2009, 04:22 pm »

Kirk does almost get down with a green alien in bed, but it doesn't happen in the end.   :nono:

Thanks, sounds ok.... I'm trying to evade hot scenes to avoid getting difficult questions... :oops:   That's mom's job  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2009, 06:27 pm »
Looks like a killer weekend for Star Trek at the box office - over $76 million!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090510/ap_en_mo/us_box_office

George

jaywills

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2009, 06:49 pm »
I was thirteen when the original series came out.  Saw the movie with my wife & thirteen year-old daughter yesterday.  Great, great fun!  Don't think there's much "explaining" needed for any of its scenes.

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2009, 07:12 pm »
I thought this movie was great.  Even my wife, who is a total non-Star Trek person, loved it. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2009, 03:38 am »
Well I went to my "local" IMAX theatre today and saw the best movie of 2009 to date, and so I give Star Trek 4.5 out of 5 stars.(I really wanted to go 5 for 5 :duh:) The start of this movie is one of the best out of the gates start I've ever seen, period. For me, there were no slow moments, the movie had me totally consumed from start to finish. With the incredible sound track this movie has, IMAX is a must IMHO. My only real complaint was the Hooksett, NH IMAX doesn't have them seat (bass thumpers?) that Zybar was talking about from his Boston area IMAX. Now that would really be something with this movie. :drool:

As a summer teaser, there was a preview for a promising summer movie District 9 that can be seen here[/color]]here plus the website has other interesting little tidbits about human/unhuman relations in an improbable near future (I hope).

PS, Wolverine was a big disappointment, thank god I watched it after Star Trek.
Cheers,
Robin

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2009, 04:07 am »
You watched them in the wrong order Robin.  Wolverine is the opening act and Star Trek the headliner. Surely it was a big disappointment in reverse.  But I guess either way it had no chance.

My IMAX won't be showing the IMAX version of Star Trek until this Friday but they are also showing the regular version now.  Of course I'll wait.  Looks like the franchise has new life.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2009, 10:10 am »
Well I went to my "local" IMAX theatre today and saw the best movie of 2009 to date, and so I give Star Trek 4.5 out of 5 stars.(I really wanted to go 5 for 5 :duh:) The start of this movie is one of the best out of the gates start I've ever seen, period. For me, there were no slow moments, the movie had me totally consumed from start to finish. With the incredible sound track this movie has, IMAX is a must IMHO. My only real complaint was the Hooksett, NH IMAX doesn't have them seat (bass thumpers?) that Zybar was talking about from his Boston area IMAX. Now that would really be something with this movie. :drool:

As a summer teaser, there was a preview for a promising summer movie District 9 that can be seen here[/color]]here plus the website has other interesting little tidbits about human/unhuman relations in an improbable near future (I hope).

Cheers,
Robin

Would you say it's the best of them Trekkie movies?  Another thought, some say IMAX is not the format for this movie.  It wasn't made as an IMAX to begin with...... :thumb:

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2009, 12:12 pm »
Oh yes... oh VERY yes!!!
This movie was so worth the wait!
And I do consider myself a hobbyist Trekkie!
Loads and loads of small details for the star trek fans.
Much more realism than the usual star trek movies used to have, and I have to say, it sort of lifts the universe that is
star trek up from the Trekkie level to a sort of more mainstream and realistic levels for a bigger and wider fan base!
It would seem to me that every 5 to 25 seconds there is a detail, that gives honor back to some episode of this long
running series. The timing of these cues are so perfect, it never comes across as cheesy or overdone!
The balance achieved it smooth, matter of fact and just wonderful!

Dare we hope for a tv series? Or another movie like this? I should like to think so!!

Imp.

mcullinan

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2009, 01:17 pm »
Saw it last night! Awesome effects and continuous action. I am a diehard trek dude, as a kid I saw each episode like 20 times. It had some humor and 0 slow parts. Like a constant car explosion! Good acting and storyline too. Well put together by JJ Abrahms.
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2009, 03:10 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Would you say it's the best of them Trekkie movies?  Another thought, some say IMAX is not the format for this movie.  It wasn't made as an IMAX to begin with...... :thumb:

Well Shek, considering that this was indeed an IMAX movie from what I heard and saw, it rates as good or better than any Star Trek movie I've ever watched. While I can't comment on whether or not this film was actually shot using IMAX cameras or digitally transferred to IMAX standards, the end result that I watched rated right up there with Batman: The Dark Knight. The script was awesome, the IMAX picture was made for this movie and the sound track, well I sat through the credits simply to enjoy the sound track to the last note. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

navi

« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2009, 03:39 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was too loud.... my right ear was buzzing.

I sat through the film with the biggest smile on my face. it was shot very well- unlike the other earlier star trek films.

Woodsea

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2009, 02:13 am »
It was loud and inspired many a person surrounding me in knowing exclamations of giddiness.
IMAX is the way to go for this movie.  Highly recommended.  I am still in shock in regards to the dynamics of two of the major players.  A job well done by the writers and JJ.
Go see Wolverine first and then this colossal in an IMAX theater for a great one two punch of nostalgia twisted ever so slightly to make them both fresh.
Cannot wait for more Scotty...bring on the next one.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #35 on: 13 May 2009, 02:50 am »
We want Star Trek 2 right now.  Better than Wrath of Khan??  Holy crap, I can't wait.

TODAY!

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2009, 08:22 am »
Absolutely loved it. Shatner's Kirk is one of my favorite cinematic characters ever, and I wasn't sure if I'd buy into Pine's performance....but the entire cast was more than believable. This movie captured my attention from the first minute and held it right through the last. Special effects were amazing, the casting was inspired, the story was engaging, and the overall experience was just plain kick ass. I was reading an article about the writing team and how they read every star trek book they could get their hands on before writing this film...they are apparently busily picking up where they left off and throwing around ideas for the next installment.

This was a very clever reboot, and I'm loving the idea that we have no idea what direction they could go from here. Kudos, Mr. Abrams!

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2009, 12:22 pm »
'Tis a good movie but not a very good or excellent movie.  All aspects of the film are at least good (expept IMO the music, which is quite uninspired)...BUT...it has no heart.  Gene Roddenberry's Star Treks had moral/ethical cores and lessons for us; this new movie is merely a space-based shoot-'em-up.  Too bad for us lovers of the Roddenberry stories; it's definitely a oncer for me.

I agree with this.  I loved the first 2/3rds of it...excellent opening scene, great backstory and set-up for Kirk and Spock, as well as great intros for Uhura, McCoy, Sulu and Scotty.  But it then turns into too much of a mindless action flick (imho, of course).  Maybe its because I saw Wrath of Khan recently, but I guess I was hoping for a battle scene with more strategic substance rather than the non-stop action....

Enjoyable movie overall, but not a "landmark" film that I was hoping it would be...

(btw - I saw it on IMAX, and it was definitely worth it...in the space battle scenes, it felt like you were actually out there in space in the middle of it all!)

mjosef

« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2009, 11:41 pm »
The movie was digitally remastered with IMAX DMR technology.

I hope to see it this Saturday...in IMAX  aa

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #39 on: 14 May 2009, 12:59 am »
The movie was digitally remastered with IMAX DMR technology.

I hope to see it this Saturday...in IMAX  aa

Thanks, Mr. Mjosef.  I was told (I'm not an IMAX devotee so not on top of the technology) that in certain high speed sequences it's not the same if it's not originally shot in IMAX?  I just took his word for it.  Since everybody enjoyed the movie in IMAX, so that person who was critical of the movie not being shot originally in IMAX is probably wrong, tho I think there's no such thing as wrong, it's just preference..... :drool: