Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice!

RogerB

Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice!
« on: 5 May 2009, 08:25 pm »
Hello All!

I have been lurking on these pages for about a year now.  Went to Best Buy and bought a pair of the Insignia speakers with the intention of doing Danny's mod on them. 

Instead, last August I purchased a pair of ELT 525 monitors from av123.  I LOVE these little speakers!  I use them as mains in a 2.1 system in a medium sized room paired with a HSU stf-2 sub.  They are connected to a Marantz SA8001 sacd player and the Marantz PM7001 integrated amp.  The combo sounds wonderful together!

Problem is, I'm suffering from "upgradeitis"!  I can't decide whether to do the Ninja mod on the 525 monitors or purchase one of GR Researchs kits and build my own speakers.  I have been looking at the A/V1 and the Neo 1.  The price of the Ninja Master upgrade including No-Rez and the two GR Research kits with all the upgrades (Sonicaps, No Rez etc...) will be in the same ballpark price wise.  I'm having a hard time deciding which provides the greatest "bang for the buck". 

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  The only part about building one of the kits that scares me is building the enclosures.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to reading any advice anyone may offer!

Roger

walkern

Re: Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice!
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2009, 08:58 pm »
Hey Roger,

I'd recommend the Neo 1.  The AV1 and 525 both use very nice dome tweeters, but the BG tweeter in the Neo is really quite special.  A colleague of bought the Neo 1 kit based on my recommendation (I've got RAW Acoustics speakers that use Danny's M-130s, a ribbon tweeter, and a Danny designed crossover), and both of us were thrilled and amazed at how great they sounded when assembled.

Just my $.02.

Neil

Jon Liu

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2009, 09:38 pm »
Roger, I would go with your gut instinct on this.  Danny's designs are absolutely top notch.  You cannot get a better performing speaker at the same price.  While upgrading the crossvers will improve the ELTs, I think the Neo1's will probably still outshine then in the long run.

If you have the know-how to build these speakers yourself they are INCREDIBLE bargains.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2009, 10:37 pm »
Roger......you will get "upgradeitis" again....go for the Venues, I did......nothing to upgrade to aa :D :D

Perry

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2009, 10:40 pm »
Danny offers -unreal- value for the $. I've not heard his newer neo designs, but i've blind faith in the man. Get the neo-1, and cabinets from PE.

RogerB

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2009, 03:30 am »
Thanks for the quick responses guys!  The general consensus seems to be to go with Neo 1.  If I go that route I will definitely have to get the PE enclosures as I would not want to attempt that curved design on my first build attempt. 

Part of what makes me want to build one of the kits is that I keep reading where you would have to spend $1500 - $2000 at retail shops to get this type of quality.  I have two kids who will be going to college in the next 3 years so this will be the last money I spend on my stereo equipment for a while.  I need this upgrade to keep me happy for several years. 

I will ponder this decision for a little longer.  I very much appreciate all the input!!  Keep it coming!

Roger

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2009, 05:50 am »
You can do a standard box and not a curved one if you want to do it yourself. The box plans are for a standard box.

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2009, 09:29 am »
Thanks for the quick responses guys!  The general consensus seems to be to go with Neo 1.  If I go that route I will definitely have to get the PE enclosures as I would not want to attempt that curved design on my first build attempt. 

Part of what makes me want to build one of the kits is that I keep reading where you would have to spend $1500 - $2000 at retail shops to get this type of quality.  I have two kids who will be going to college in the next 3 years so this will be the last money I spend on my stereo equipment for a while.  I need this upgrade to keep me happy for several years. 

I will ponder this decision for a little longer.  I very much appreciate all the input!!  Keep it coming!

Roger

If you can find a speaker under $2,000 that you prefer over the Neo 1 (thats a bookshelf obviously), I'd be surprised.  The Neos are just incredible.  Ninja mods will take it up a notch..but you're still limited by lesser quality drivers.  Get the No-Rez and Sonicaps/Mills...the rest aren't as important (ok, ok, I got them anyway...)

The PE boxes aren't too shabby for the price you pay.

RogerB

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2009, 01:28 pm »
You can do a standard box and not a curved one if you want to do it yourself. The box plans are for a standard box.

Thanks for pointing that out dvenardos!  So I could either build the standard box or purchase it from PE.  Being a complete novice, I'm assuming the sound quality would be the same for the standard or curved as long as the internal volume is the same?

Man...you guys are getting me fired up!  I'm getting an itch that scratching doesn't seem to help!!  LOL!

Roger

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2009, 03:25 pm »
 Roger

I have built a lot of speakers over the past few years and the kits offered by Danny are absolutely the best. They compete extremely well with equivalent commercially built speakers selling for 3 to 5 times as much or more. Presently have a pair of AV-3's which sound wonderful. Also,presently building a pair of Neo-2X's in natural cherry with the Mills/Sonicap and No-Rez options just for the fun of it. Since I really don't have room for them,I will probably sell them after construction and testing are completed. I plan to post pictures of the completed speakers for everyone to see along with my listening evaluation.

Ron

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2009, 04:22 pm »
Actually I have a set of AV-3's I'd like to sell, since I am building a pair of the really big boys, the LS9's.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  They are definitely a huge move up from your AV123s or even the AV-1 series.

KS

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2009, 05:11 pm »
Neil

I'm a NEO-2X owner.

With what you've said, for you I'd consider the NEO-1X in either of the PE cabinets or home-built straight sided cabinets with just the Sonicap upgrades and the No Rez.  I feel that extra-extra cost Sonicap Platinum bypass capacitors add more for the money than upgraded binding posts or wire; others may hear things differently.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2009, 05:14 pm »
I have two kids who will be going to college in the next 3 years so this will be the last money I spend on my stereo equipment for a while.  I need this upgrade to keep me happy for several years. 

My advice is for you to spend a bit more and build the NEO 2x's.
They will keep you happy for those "several years".
Or, buy S Clark's A/V-3's.

dvenardos

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2009, 08:10 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out dvenardos!  So I could either build the standard box or purchase it from PE.  Being a complete novice, I'm assuming the sound quality would be the same for the standard or curved as long as the internal volume is the same?

Man...you guys are getting me fired up!  I'm getting an itch that scratching doesn't seem to help!!  LOL!

Roger
Yes. I had elemental designs build my av-1rs boxes in plain mdf and I veneered them myself (which I had never done before). Also, you can get a flat pack (everything cut but not glued together) or completed enclosure from eargasm.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2009, 04:03 pm »
I'd have to recommend on the the Neo kits as well. They are by far the greater performers of your considerations. My slight favorite is the N2X.

KS

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2009, 05:48 pm »
I missed the original poster's comment about already using a subwoofer.

Roger,
With the sub, build the NEO-2X.  You'll really like the result.  In addition, add some internal bracing to the sub cabinet and line it with No Rez.  You'll REALLY like the result.  Or, sell the Hsu sub and get a Rhythmik/GR servo sub with your NEO's.  You'll REALLY like the result.

RogerB

« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2009, 09:13 pm »
After much consideration I have decided to get the Neo-2X kit !!  Thanks to everyone for your responses/advice, and especially to Danny and Scott Clark!  They are both TRUE gentlemen among men!!  Being a member of several types of internet forums I am so impressed that these two guys, with everything they have going on,  would spend as much time on a "newbie" as they have with me.  I am looking forward to becoming a member of the GR Research family!

I'm trying to get someone lined up to build the cabinets for me and once that is finalized I will be placing my order for the kit.  Hopefully in just a couple of days.

Thanks again everyone!

Roger

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2009, 07:06 pm »
The Parts Express cabinets are actually a bargain considering what a woodworker would charge you for them with a similar finish, especially the curved side version.

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2009, 01:35 am »
The Parts Express cabinets are actually a bargain considering what a woodworker would charge you for them with a similar finish, especially the curved side version.

Not really, they are $100 each and there are many good options out there:
http://forums.av123.com/showpost.php?p=720011&postcount=52
http://forums.av123.com/showpost.php?p=720000&postcount=49

Elemental designs built my av-1rs enclosures in 3/4" bare EFS (their eco friendly MDF) for $125 shipped. I veneered them myself, but they are built like tanks.

RogerB

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2009, 04:33 am »
For my first speaker build it turns out that I'm not gonna be doing much building at all! LOL!  All I gotta do is put the built parts together. 

I ordered the Neo-2X and have already received all but the crossover components.  I had Danny ship those to the Skiing Ninja to build.  I went with the sonicap/mills upgrade plus the No-Rez.

For the cabinets John at diyspeakercabinets is building those to Danny's exact specs.  They will be finished in Cherry.  It will be approximately five weeks before they are ready.

So.... I sit hear staring at some beautiful drivers dreaming about the glorious sounds that will be filling my living room in a few months.  I plan to post pics as the process goes along. 

I appreciate everyone steering me to the Neo-2X.  With my sub and current listening room I think this is the combination to keep me happy until the kids graduate from college!!!

Roger