Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice!

Nick77

Re: Newbie Would Appreciate Some Advice!
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2009, 12:27 pm »
Great choice! I heard the Neo 2x at GTG here in Austin and they sounded great. You will be very pleased.  :green:

RogerB

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2009, 08:50 pm »
I would like to post a couple of pictures of my Neo-2X kit and the networks I received from the Ninja.  Would someone kindly explain how to post a picture??

Thanks,

Roger

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2009, 09:02 pm »
You can use free picture-storing websites like www.flickr.com and
www.photobucket.com

and there are other ones as well.

You download pictures from your computer to the site and then simply link to them.

For instance here's a pic linked from my flickr page:

RogerB

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2009, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for the info!

Here's a couple of pics of my Neo-2X kit.  The networks were built by the Ninja and I received them yesterday!  Awesome work Ninja!!

Now I'm just waiting for the cabinets ...........

Roger

RogerB

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2009, 09:37 pm »
Sorry guys....just figured out how to make them a little bigger!

Roger

RogerB

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2009, 02:45 am »
Received an email from John on Monday that my cabinets were completed!  He sent a couple of pics that I wanted to post.  They are finished in cherry.  I should receive them in a few days.  It won't be long now before my N2X's are singing to me!!!

chip

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2009, 11:12 am »
Those look great - John did my cabinets as well and I did the crossover myself. I can't wait to hear what you think of them.

Ron

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:16 pm »
 The enclosures look very nice Roger. John does good work. The Ninja crossovers look great too. Is the crossover wiring the optional JPS Labs wire or the standard wire provided with the kit? Anxious to read your comments after you complete them.

RogerB

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jul 2009, 01:53 am »
OK Guys...I received my cabinets on Wednesday and finished my speakers up this afternoon.  It was not without it's challenges.  Installing the NO-Rez requires alot of patience due to the braces within the cabinets.  But, with a box cutter and a pair of sizzors I got it done.  I only had a small piece left when I was done.

The other challenge for me was attaching the network to the cabinet.  Again, patience is your friend here as the cramped space makes it interesting, to say the least.

But, once I crimped all the terminals and attached them to the drivers I was shaking with anticipation.  I was sure I would hook the speakers up, put on a cd, and nothing would happen!  Just too many places for me to screw up and the speakers not work properly. 

I loaded an Allison Krauss & Union Station cd into my Marantz SA 8001 and nervously pushed the play button.  What followed nearly brought me to tears.  The sounds that came out of my new N2X speakers was nothing short of amazing!!!!  Both tweeters and woofers were working and the sound was unlike anything that I've ever heard in my house!  The detail, the soundstage,  everything about it just blew me away!  I've owned alot of speakers in my life but these were the sweetest things I've ever heard!

I put Ave Maria by Joshua Bell in and the sound of the violin was amazing!  I then put an sacd of the the Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed" in the player and when the opening guitar of "Gimme Shelter" started a huge smile came over my face!  My wife and daughter were laughing at me.  The drums and bass kicked in and I was, quite simply, in audio heaven! 

I don't have the ability to put in to words what I hear from speakers.  Many of you are excellent at that.  All I can say is my N2X's are Incredible!!!  My HSU STF-2 sub integrated beautifully with them.   All this after 1 hour.  I may not be able to handle it if they sound better than this when burned in around 50 - 100 hours!

I will post more impressions later after they've burned in.  I am proud to be a member of the GR Research family.  Thanks Danny for the great speaker!!  I also want to thank Ron, a member of this forum, for all the tips, encouragement, and especially the inspiration.  Thanks Ron!!!

Roger

Ron

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:44 am »
Roger 

Congradulations on successfully completing your Neo 2X's! Glad to hear that you are happy with how they sound. I just knew that you would be pleased.The Neo 2X's are wonderful sounding speakers.Very open,natural,and detailed sound quality. BTW -Which damping material did you end up using,Acousti-Stuf or Poly-Fil ?

Glad that my suggestions were helpful to you.

Ron

RogerB

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jul 2009, 04:38 pm »
Ron, I used Acousta-stuf but only about a handful in each cabinet, per your advice.  I went ahead with Acousta-stuf because I had purchased a 1lb bag from PE.  I only applied it to the lower rear section of the cabinets.  Nothing in the upper half.  I have nothing to compare it to...but, they sound wonderful!  I hardly used any of the bag of Acousta-stuff so I wish I had just gone to Walmart and got some polyfill.  I think your suggestion of not putting any in the upper half behind the tweeter was spot on!  This tweeter is so sweet, smooth and mellow, but with great detail, that any dampening would probably have a negative impact on the sound.

The N2X was the perfect speaker choice for me because of the sealed cabinet.  In my listening room, which is my living room, I don't have the luxury of being able to pull the speakers out from the wall as far as you need to with a ported design. (WAF problem).   I have them set about 9 feet apart and I sit about 9 feet from them.  The results are great. 

I'm still playing around with "toe-in" etc..., to find the perfect sound.  Any suggestions on this?

Thanks for all your tips on applying the fill.  I am very pleased with the results.

Roger 

RogerB

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2009, 04:46 pm »
Ron, btw, per your advice I placed the No-Rez about one and a half inches from the front baffle.  Again, I have nothing to compare it to but the result is fantastic!

Roger

Ron

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jul 2009, 07:21 pm »
Roger - Since your speakers are spaced about 9 feet apart and you are sitting approx.9 feet back,I suggest that you try applying a moderate amount of toe-in until the soundstage locks in. If you like the way the Neo 2X's sound now,you will like them even more after they finish breaking in. Also, you will find that on well recorded music, the Neo 2X's  can sound very realistic.
Glad that you liked the Acousti-Stuf. It does have the ability to tighten up the bass and improve midrange clarity.

Ron

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jul 2009, 07:24 pm »
You can add some loose fill up into the area behind the tweeter also. It will just help to absorb those standing waves in the upper part of the box. It won't effect the highs at all. The tweeter is completely sealed from the inner cavity.

Don't be afraid to move them around and play with the toe in and stuff. Try moving them closer together to see what it does with the center image. Try pulling them way out into the room just for fun and see what it does to the imaging and sound stage depth. If nothing else you might learn something interesting.

You have a lot of smoothing out time ahead of you where these are just going to get better and better. Enjoy them, and thanks for posting the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Ron

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jul 2009, 02:19 pm »
Roger - I was looking at the pictures of your Neo 2X crossovers that you posted and noticed what appears to be a possible wiring error. According to the crossover diagram that Danny provides with the kit,there is suppose to be a shunt resistor between the downsteam side of the 15 mf capacitor and the positive input to the Neo 3 tweeter. If you look closely at the pictures, it appears that the white wire goes directly from the capacitor to the tweeters positive input without a shunt resistor. Maybe I am just not looking at it wrong. You may want to ask the Ninja about it.

Ron

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #35 on: 6 Jul 2009, 02:53 pm »
Now that I am done having a heart attack...  From the angle shown, you can't see the shunt resistor but it is there and wired correctly.

:D

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #36 on: 6 Jul 2009, 03:13 pm »
Looking at it again, the angle does not allow for me to be sure so Roger, please contact me so I can check it out and be 100%.

Thanks,

Sean

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #37 on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm »
There is an error as Ron noted.  I checked the photos from all other N2X builds and this is the only affected unit (pair).  I have identified the cause of the error and edited the doc.

I've contacted Roger and offered to update the networks at 100% our cost.  I'm pretty unnerved/annoyed that this occurred but we've taken the appropriate steps to ensure it does not occur again and I am thankful that is was caught and can be easily corrected.  I'll lose a little face here but it is worth it to ensure all builds are 100% correct.

Thanks Ron!

Sean

dvenardos

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:58 pm »
I think we all know how good you are Sean and, in fact, we are all human.  :thumb:

RogerB

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:21 pm »
Sean, I don't want you to worry about this at all!!!  We're all human! 

Guys, Sean has sent me a picture with exact instructions on what to do.  It's a simple fix. I'm taking the networks
over to my dads (he can solder) and we are going to fix them.

I own a business myself and sometimes I make mistakes also.  All you can do is try to correct it.  Sean has offered to have me ship the entire speaker to him at his cost.  He offered this because he didn't even want me to have to take the time to remove the networks. 

It only took about 10 minutes for me to get them out and ready to go to dads.  Sean, you do incredibly great, professional work and you will always be top notch with me!!!!

Don't spend another minute worrying about this.  I just can't believe the speakers are gonna sound even better when I fix it!!  I may have the big one!!!!!

Roger