Like Marbles, I too was about done. Until today. . .

Hantra

So, I have been reading the posts of these people on the site who are "done".  A year ago, I would have sold any piece of gear I had, just to try something else.  I had no direction.  I was waking up from a nightmare which involved Michael Green and friends, and I could have taken any direction, as long as it was AWAY from that.  ;-)

But today, I wouldn't change one piece of my system, without hearing the replacement in my system first.  I have been that way for a few months, and that's longer than ever!  My system has real synergy now, and I don't want to do anything but listen.  

So, I thought. . . "I'll just try a few tweaks here and there and play a bit.". . .   So I got some ERS, and it was good.  I got the Cryotweaks demo kit today, and was going to play around with it this weekend.  I've been thinking about power products, and I was going to get that, and be pretty much done for a while.  

I called a dealer I know and I ask him what he thinks of the Stealth, and whether he still carried it.  He says, he does not like the Stealth any more, and has something new from Running Springs Audio called the Haley.  He says if I come down and check out his new place, I can take it with me and play with it for a while.  

Having not been to this dealer's place in a while, I thought I'd make the trip.  I drove down today, and the trip wasn't too bad.  About 1 hr. and 45 mins. . . That's how it is around these parts to hear some good gear.  You got to drive!  

I pull up to this place and was not prepared for what I experienced, and it pisses me off!   :evil:

This guy has one of these, and he's been raving about it for months:

I handed off my discs to this dealer, and he proceeded to load them one by one into this PC.  I was thinking: "come on man!  Go ahead and hook up the Audio Note 3.1x Balanced.  You know that a freaking PC is NOT going to do what I need!".  He assured me that it would be worth the wait.  And it was.  

I started off listening to The Pizza Tapes.  This is a disc that I have listened to daily for 4 years, and I know it well.  Now, I have heard several $100K+ systems in the past few years, and I have heard this disc sound pretty damned good.  I was unprepared for what happened.  I couldn't move.  I sat there the entire first and second tracks, and could barely move the mouse to hit track 8.  I can honestly say this was the single BEST I have EVER heard this EVER.

I didn't know what to say.  I thought this must be some kind of mistake.  There was no way this could be the BEST I had ever heard this on some $5,500 speakers!  NO WAY!  I heard this on Wisdom M-75's!  That HAS to be better!!!  I am blown away.  As I type this hours later, I still have a look of disbelief.  

I turn over to some live Dark Star Orchestra with Steve Kimock.  I thought, "this'll really tell me if what I am hearing is for real or not!".

It was.  This was the best I have ever heard this disc as well.  It was so amazing, again, I could not even say anything, or get up.  I let it play through to the next track.  

Changing to the new Dave Matthews, I was again blown away.  This Dave Matthews is a great disc, and always sounded a bit compressed, and not like a great recording on my system.  I'm wrong.  This is a GREAT recording!  This is a GREAT disc!  What the hell?

Continue with Pink Floyd The Wall.  Same results.  How much was I hearing in ALL these discs that I had not heard before?  How REAL was this?  This is too cool!  I had to go outside for a second.  I simply could not believe it.  NOR did I want to dammit!  I just came to get a power conditioner!  Don't turn my freaking world upside down man!!!!

Of all the systems I have heard, this was the best.  I can definitively say that I would take THIS one over ALL other systems I have heard.  Forsaking all others, and taking this system would be no problem.  Well. . only a little problem.  Although the speakers were only $5,500, the rest would be a stretch.

This system was:

Cain and Cain Ben's (single horn)  $5,500
VRS Audio Systems front end        $7,900
Butler Audio Hybrid monoblocks    $12,000
All Audience AU24

If you haven't heard of the Butlers, you will.  After CES this year, you will hear about them.  You HAVE to hear them.  They are a freaky design that only Butler could explain.

Apparently they are supposed to be zero feedback, single-ended, OTL, hybrid amps that get 120 watts per channel into 8, and 200 into 4, and use a single 300B.  They don't use the entire 300B.  In fact, you can't really see it light up.  But it is in use, and is DC coupled.  We had KR Audio tubes in there, and what sound we heard!!!  These amps had everything the Art Audio Diavolo had, but they had slam!  Amazing dynamics, and great bass!  He tells me much of the dynamics comes from the VRS front-end.  I believe it.  

Anyhow, I don't want to bore anyone, but I just had to share my hell.  Why does this happen?  It all started out so innocent, and it's going to end way differently.  I can tell.  hehehe

B

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2003, 06:06 am »
BUTLER :o , Mmmmmm,,, Hey I've heard that name before! :D  Regards, Robin

tsjdesign

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2003, 06:45 am »
Your experience gives me some hope!  I'm putting together a pc audio server, but am nervous about quality vs traditional transport... - how did the pc output, digital or analoge?  Didn't catch the name of the sound card :P ?

NealH

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:21 am »
BUTLER, Hmmmmm.   At $12K it doesn't look like I will be doing any listening.  I will have to wait for the next generation.  Or, maybe the year 3000 version.

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2003, 12:52 pm »
You fell for the old classic bait and switch.  You went to listen to a $1500 piece and got turned onto $30K of gear.  Man that salesman is GOOD!  :lol:

Hantra

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2003, 01:50 pm »
how did the pc output, digital or analoge? ?

Analog.

Didn't catch the name of the sound card  ?

It was a nice sound card.  Not sure what it was.

You went to listen to a $1500 piece and got turned onto $30K of gear. Man that salesman is GOOD!

Although this dealer is quite an asshole, I'm not sure he's smart enough to bait and switch.

I think one of the coolest things about that system is the freaking impact.  I mean, I have heard systems with impact before, but not like this.  This had the impact of live music.  The vocals impacted you.  The guitar impacts you.  It's unreal!  

The PC front end has everything.  Timing, a very analog sound but still digging deeper than you've heard before, with all the dynamics of vinyl.

I know what my next project is.

I just wish the Ben could work in my room.  When I bought my current speaker, I asked Terry Cain if the Ben would work for me, and he was adamant that my room is too small.  

Any similar suggestions for small rooms?  Abby won't give me the coziness, and the IMPACT of Ben.  

L8r,

B

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2003, 02:47 pm »
B , Audiophiles are never done till their 6 feet under !  :lol:  Always something new come'in down the pike. Thanks for the info and pictures ! :)

sfpepper

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2003, 03:28 pm »
hantra...was the pc playing back the CD in real time?  Or was the CD
loading into ram or hd, and then processed thru the sound card?
Would you find out what sound card was used?  thanks...steve.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2003, 03:38 pm »
IMO the only way to be done is to completely turn your back on the market and enjoy what you have.

I did just about that for about 18 years for a variety of reasons and emerged to find:

1.  Considered myself pretty much "on top of the game" before, but regarding equipment I had a lot to learn (this I expected).

2.  Still know the basics behind audio, much of which most don't seem to stop to think about (this I also expected).

3.  Amazed at the amount of information some people absorb off the net and all the web based communities available.

4.  Interested to find out vinyl and tubes were back, was surprised that digital hadn't developed further in the 80s and 90s.

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2003, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: JLM
was surprised that digital hadn't developed further in the 80s and 90s.

Actually the seperation of transports and Dacs happened, as well as the developement of DVD-A and SACD.  Not to mention the holly grail of Blue lasers was attained so that in 2 years the reality of HD DVD players/recorders will be here.

Hantra

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:04 pm »
hantra...was the pc playing back the CD in real time? Or was the CD loading into ram or hd, and then processed thru the sound card? ?

Sorry I didn't clarify.  The music was extracted onto the hard drive.  

Would you find out what sound card was used?

Nahh man.  I can't go ask a guy who SELLS these to pop it open for me and tell me how to build it.  There are tons of good pro sound cards out there. . .

L8r,

B

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:13 pm »
Speaker Link >> http://www.cain-cain.com/audio/BEN-single/   looks good!! :)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:20 pm »
Some info on VRS  >> http://www.enjoythemusic.com/vsac2003/friday/  scan down the page. :)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:26 pm »
Butler Audio link  >> http://www.butleraudio.com/homeaudio.html    :)  (Hey, Its snowing heavy here - provide links - gives me something to do on the computer ! :lol: )

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:36 pm »
Lonewolf.....Here ya go. Go Nuts!

Almost Every Audio Manufacturer Known to Man

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:45 pm »
Thanks Robert, good to see your on the ball ! :lol:  While I listen and enjoy my demo , I can surf for other new products ! ( Oh, by the way,... the dog ate your cable !!!! :lol: )

Hantra

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2003, 07:49 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what in the world might be almost as good as the Ben, but actually work in my room?

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2003, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Does anyone have any idea what in the world might be almost as good as the Ben, but actually work in my room?

It's a little early to know for sure, but SP Tech's Timepiece 2.0s might work (scroll down for audiojerry's comments).  I don't know their room requirements, but Jerry should soon be in a position to offer an opinion.

My second choice would be to go active with Linkwitz's Orions.  They were at the top of my "want it bad" list for a looooooong time, but had no luck in getting an audition.  Every review I've seen reads like an advertisement, and one of their biggest claims to fame is room adaptability.  But I get twitchy at the thought of spending almost $7k on something I've never heard (I'm not a DIYer...yet), so I gave up and ordered 2.0s.  They should arrive sometime in the next couple of weeks.

SP Technology offers a 30-day free trial (shipping included), but I'm not aware of any trial period or return policy for the Orions.

DU

Stealth_93ES

Hmmmmmmmmmm, a PC?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:04 pm »
How was that system for blowing your mind. Believe me, it is real. I have some ideas that you might find interesting.

PC's are coming, the Digital Media Center as they are called will replace many of our components and sound better too!

:D  :D

Sa-dono

Re: Hmmmmmmmmmm, a PC?
« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2003, 02:02 am »
Quote from: Stealth_93ES
How was that system for blowing your mind. Believe me, it is real. I have some ideas that you might find interesting.

PC's are coming, the Digital Media Center as they are called will replace many of our components and sound better too!

:D  :D

HTPC's have been around for a while. Using a PC in an audiophile system does seem interesting. Of course it comes with its own drawbacks. First, all of the commercial sound cards currently available fall short of the best DAC's IMO. Secondly, there is only one available card that can currently process DVD-A, and none for SACD, if that is important to you. Thirdly, you would have to defragment your system all of the time, upon adding new material, for optimal performance. Fourthly, having to wait for the computer to load up after being turned on. The VRS does look extremely interesting though, and I would love to hear it.