Like Marbles, I too was about done. Until today. . .

Hantra

Re: Hmmmmmmmmmm, a PC?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2003, 04:37 am »
Quote from: Stealth_93ES
How was that system for blowing your mind. Believe me, it is real. I have some ideas that you might find interesting.

Well bring it on!!!  I just got in, so I didn't get a chance to call you BTW. . .  I'd like to hear your ideas though. . .  Heard you were selling the Neo's.  ;-)

Quote from: Sa-dono
First, all of the commercial sound cards currently available fall short of the best DAC's IMO.

Well, last time I heard this guy's system, it was with the Audio Note DAC 3.1x Balanced.  It was a great DAC, but IMO, this beats it in every way.

Fourthly, having to wait for the computer to load up after being turned on.

I'd leave it on.  I don't generally turn off any of my PC's except the Axim. . .

Sa-dono

Re: Hmmmmmmmmmm, a PC?
« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2003, 08:35 am »
Quote from: Hantra

First, all of the commercial sound cards currently available fall short of the best DAC's IMO.  

Well, last time I heard this guy's system, it was with the Audio Note DAC 3.1x Balanced. It was a great DAC, but IMO, this beats it in every way.

That may be true, but my point still stands if what Enjoy the Music was told is true. According to ETM, "The sound card has been modified (top secret details) for best sound." As such, this modification for just the sound card is not currently commercially available, nor do I believe VRS will release the info for DIYers, although that would be very nice. I'm not discounting what VRS has done, simply stating that for those of us that would rather just build our own PC, the optimal commercial sound cards are not yet available IMO (which is why I said I would still like to hear the VRS :D).

Hantra

« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2003, 05:53 pm »
if what Enjoy the Music was told is true.

Hey, I did not know that.  Can you link me?  

Thx!

B

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2003, 06:05 pm »
if what Enjoy the Music was told is true.

Hey, I did not know that.  Can you link me?  

Thx!

B
Same link as before >> http://www.enjoythemusic.com/vsac2003/friday/  (wow, get to do the link thing twice, life is good :lol: )   B  scan down the article page.

Hantra

« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2003, 06:11 pm »
C:

I'll be glad when you get your amps.  You won't be posting as much.  ;-)  j/k. . .

Thanks though.  That is interesting. . .

B

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2003, 08:43 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what in the world might be almost as good as the Ben, but actually work in my room?

b, ya mite wanna check out the rethm's i posted about earlier here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6462&start=30

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1075557218

http://www.rethm.com/

i've never heard these, but they supposedly do well in a smaller room...

doug s.

Tuckers

I have bought the VRS server.
« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2003, 04:28 am »
I had it here at my house last month.  I also have an Audio Note 3.1x balanced dac and a Spectral Reference transport.  

I have played around with PC audio over the years, and it has always sounded crappy next to my rig, even as a digital source into my DAC.  I was sceptical that the VRS would be different.  

I had four good ears listening, my friend Keith and myself.  Keith preferred the sound of the VRS,  I thought it was a draw.  But the Audio Note system is superb in every way and my reference for Redbook digital.  Such a strong perfomance from a computer was stunning.  When I recieve it I will look forward to see if it does better my Audio Note Rig.  I may use it as a 'transport' if it does.  I also want to try it direct into an amp, as I hear that's where it sounds it's best.  

I'm getting a highly customized version and have been working wiht VRS to develop an even quieter system.

Hantra

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2003, 04:34 am »
I also want to try it direct into an amp, as I hear that's where it sounds it's best.

I agree.  When running off the Art Audio Gill, it seemed to lack some of the magic of straight into the Butlers. . .

B

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2003, 04:39 am »
I also want to try it direct into an amp, as I hear that's where it sounds it's best.

I agree.  When running off the Art Audio Gill, it seemed to lack some of the magic of straight into the Butlers. . .

B
                          {straight into the Butlers} God I love how that sounds,,, :mrgreen: Regards, Robin

Hantra

« Reply #29 on: 8 Dec 2003, 04:56 am »
Sat:

How are those 3150's?  What else have did you compare them to?  And why can't I find info on the two channel version of those?  I can't afford these giant monoblocks.  ;-)

B

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 8 Dec 2003, 05:05 am »
Sat:

How are those 3150's?  What else have did you compare them to?  And why can't I find info on the two channel version of those?  I can't afford these giant monoblocks.  ;-)

B
                          I was a virgin, the Butler's were my first, :lol: The 2-channel model that you'd want would be the 2250, same specs as the 3150/5150 but with 250 watts. If I could do it again, I'd get (3) 2250's for my 6.1 system. But then again, I ain't exactly suffering,,, :D  BTW, there should be a 2150 model or maybe it was discontinued in favor of the 2250? Either way, these amps have killer dynamics. It's been 2 months now and they continue to get better. Regards, Robin

RooX

« Reply #31 on: 8 Dec 2003, 06:34 pm »
Ill consider one more closely when they start using proper cases, like many htpc's.  Looks like a good start though. Someone should pass this along to the designer.

http://www.ahanix.com/

:)

cheers

Tuckers

He does use different cases.
« Reply #32 on: 8 Dec 2003, 06:47 pm »
Vincent does use other cases.  We are actually using an Ahanix case for mine.  We have looked at over a dozen models of cases and have been determining which ones can work with his configurations.

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: He does use different cases.
« Reply #33 on: 8 Dec 2003, 11:30 pm »
Quote from: Tuckers
Vincent does use other cases.  We are actually using an Ahanix case for mine.  We have looked at over a dozen models of cases and have been determining which ones can work with his configurations.
            Mr.'s Tuckers/Hantra, mind sharing what something like this VRS thingie would run a person that doesn't even own a computer and how is it incorporated into a system? My webtv's built in music isn't all that,,, :lol: Regards, Robin

Hantra

« Reply #34 on: 8 Dec 2003, 11:46 pm »
mind sharing what something like this VRS thingie would run a person that doesn't even own a computer and how is it incorporated into a system?

Well, that's a good question.  At VSAC, it was $4,000, and my dealer tells me it's around $8,000 now.  I have no idea what it really costs.  

It is easy to incorporate in your system though.  The VRS is modded to include RCA jacks and you just go right into some amps ideally. . . Say. . Maybe some . . Butlers? ?   ;-)

B

Tuckers

VRS Pricing
« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2003, 12:46 am »
Since the computer is very customizable, the cost could run from $4,000 to $8,000 depending on configuration.

The product is in it's early stages and each one Vincent makes is somewhat different.  He is working toward a number of standard configurations at different price points.  Once you leave the comfort of relatively static audio component designs and begin to work with modular systems with an extremely high rate of change (i. e. a PC) it's a whole other world.

The music computer is a Windows XP machine that uses modifed components and parts. Even the cases are modified to fit the configurations.  The sound card is a professional model and is modified by VRS for audiophile sound.  It's hard to count the number of modifications and tweaks this computer has undergone, even the operating system is highly customized.  

You need a monitor, a keyboard and mouse to run the computer like any other.  VRS provides all this in a number of options though.  You should probably have an internet connection too in order to get album information off the net.  

Vincent Sanders is a musician and technologist and his love is single-ended amps and horns.  He has a consumate audiophile in every sense of the word and knows what he is doing.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 9 Dec 2003, 02:15 am »
I am like totally envious of you guys for having access to this type of technology. And I'm just flat out jeolous of the deep pockets needed for this. Looks like I'm stuck with my $300 Sony DVD for a while longer. At least til I get the Butler's paid off! Thanks guys for adding to my dream,,, :D Regards, Robin

bubba966

« Reply #37 on: 9 Dec 2003, 02:47 am »
Hmmm, guess I shoulda spent a bit more time paying attention to this thing when I was at VSAC.

Too bad I didn't have as much time as I would've liked to have had at the show on either day. :(

wreilly

« Reply #38 on: 9 Dec 2003, 11:59 am »
Have any of your heard the AVA 550 EXR? How would this stack up against the Butler(s)?

Also how much of the overall improvement in sound is due to the much higher quality of the recordings after being ripped and played back on the VRS Audio computer? Could this overshadow the rest of the system?

I for one would like to try the VRS Audio software and computer, my gut feeling is that this is where most of the improvement is.

Regards,
Bill

Hantra

« Reply #39 on: 9 Dec 2003, 01:24 pm »
Quote from: wreilly
Have any of your heard the AVA 550 EXR? How would this stack up against the Butler(s)?

Also how much of the overall improvement in sound is due to the much higher quality of the recordings after being ripped and played back on the VRS Audio computer? Could this overshadow the rest of the system?

I for one would like to try the VRS Audio software and computer, my gut feeling is that this is where most of the improvement is.

Regards,
Bill

I have no idea how the Butler amps sound other than the big monos I heard, which I can't afford anyway.  I have been wondering the entire time how much of the improvement was attributed to the PC, versus the rest of the system.  That's why I am going the PC route first to find out.

I'm just curious why VRS does not allow a user to use a digital output from the sound card.  From everything I read, this card has an amazing digital out.  I wonder if that would improve it even further.

L8r,

B