Like Marbles, I too was about done. Until today. . .

Hantra

« Reply #60 on: 30 Dec 2003, 03:17 am »
I use a IBM deskstar for a speech recognition computer and it was rated the "queitest" at the time.

I have one in mine right now, and it screams like a freaking banshee!  Don't get the DeskStar.  I am only using it for the OS, but it's so damned loud, I am replacing it with a Seagate Barracuda IV, which is what I use for the wav files.  It's dead quiet.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #61 on: 30 Dec 2003, 03:31 am »
Hantra,

What case are you using?? In my case(very solid case) it is very quiet. I am also speaking of electrical noise not just audible noise but in a heavy case it should do well but I will check into the Seagate. I just never had good success with them in the past.

Larry

Hantra

« Reply #62 on: 30 Dec 2003, 03:47 am »
Hey Larry. . .

I feel you.  There was a time when Seagate wasn't so hot, but that was back when they thought IDE/ATA was a fad.  Now, their drive is the quietest, and the reliability has gone up.  It's also one of the fastest.  

The case I am using is the Wave Master.  It's not a real quiet case. . .

B

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #63 on: 30 Dec 2003, 03:58 am »
When I get back from vacation I will check into some people that build computers for"quietness". I will see what they use and reccomend. These are for paralyzed people that have computers by their bedside for speech recognition. These have to be "quiet"!!!!  There are also some new queit fans out there and power supplies that would work well for this application.

BTW alot of the same properties for speech computers and htpc or audio computers are the same.

Larry

bhiggins

« Reply #64 on: 30 Dec 2003, 04:31 pm »
This line of silent PCs looks interesting (and reasonably attractive):

http://www.hushtechnologies.com/

Some photos of the inside of one of the models can be found here:

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=538

I think that someone mentioned the Hush line in a previous thread.

Hantra

« Reply #65 on: 30 Dec 2003, 04:52 pm »
The Hush are nice. . .  I could possibly get past the VIA chipset, but even still, they are very expensive.

I wish they sold just cases. . .

Tuckers

Nice for starters
« Reply #66 on: 30 Dec 2003, 10:37 pm »
Thanks for the link to the pics of the Hush, they were very helpful in seeing how they do it.  Looks like it's a heatpipe machine.

I'm glad to see they now offer Pentium 4 chips, before it was only VIA.  StillI bet it might overheat with the P4.  

One thing we're finding is that squeezing in the components you need into these small form factor cases is a real headache from a heat perspective.  The smaller you get the more concentrated the heat becomes, and the more you need fans to cool components.  

Even with the heatpipe there, I'd worry about long term reliability of things like hard drives and CPUs.

Hantra

« Reply #67 on: 30 Dec 2003, 10:42 pm »
The smaller you get the more concentrated the heat becomes, and the more you need fans to cool components.

Even with the heatpipe there, I'd worry about long term reliability of things like hard drives and CPUs.

Tuckers, you're right.  We changed to Compaq small form factor machines on our production floor, and out of a few hundred, we have probably replaced drives, and/or mobos in 40% of them!!!!!

Tuckers

VRS Audio Web Site
« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2004, 10:26 am »
VRS Audio Systems now have a web site.

http://www.vrsaudiosystems.com

Also they will be at the San Tropez Room 2206 during T.H.E. Show next week.

bmed

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jan 2004, 02:57 pm »
This will show my horrible computer knowledge, but why couldn't I use my home computer, install the pro audio sound card with coax connections, and connect it to my system.  My computer is in my listening room/office and would require a long IC.  It seems that buying a separate case/hard drive etc... would be extraneous.

Someone show me the holes in my thinking.

Brad

Hantra

« Reply #70 on: 3 Jan 2004, 03:58 pm »
Brad:

The only reason I see NOT to do that is the long interconnect thing.  

Other than that, I wouldn't want any extra devices in there that weren't necessary.  For example, if you have all kinds of cards in there that aren't necessary for music reproduction, you may find yourself running into problems.

I can attest to the Lynx card's unwilling attitude toward playing nice with IRQ's, and PnP.

B

witchdoctor

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:03 pm »
I have switched to using a PC as an audio server and LOVE it. Everything ripped on to the HD, using an M audiophile soundcard digital out to a GW Labs upsampler to a Mensa Di/O from Bolder. I use Musicmatch as my audiojuke box and never need to get my big fat --- off the sofa to switch CD's.Watch DVD's through a video card that scales perfectly to my projector and watch cable TV ( and record it to the HD) through it as well, price? Around $2000 fron www.digitalconnection.com.

Hantra

« Reply #72 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:24 pm »
I use Musicmatch as my audiojuke box

You tried Foobar2K?  I highly recommend that over anything I have tried. .

witchdoctor

« Reply #73 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:29 pm »
Thanks Hantra, I'll check it out. What do you use to rip CD's? I am using Media Jukebox as it can be customized to rip at very high quality in addition to ripping at 320 kbs.

Double Ugly

« Reply #74 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:31 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
You tried Foobar2K?  I highly recommend that over anything I have tried. .

Which version do you recommend?

Thanks.

DU

witchdoctor

« Reply #75 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:38 pm »
That link doesn't work try

digitalconnection.com

If that doesn't work just type it in manually.

Hantra

« Reply #76 on: 4 Jan 2004, 08:42 pm »
Quote from: witchdoctor
Thanks Hantra, I'll check it out. What do you use to rip CD's? I am using Media Jukebox as it can be customized to rip at very high quality in addition to ripping at 320 kbs.

I use EAC only.  There is a very audible quality difference between an accurate EAC rip and a fast rip.  But an accurate rip will take from 15 mins on up.

Quote from: Double Ugly
Which version do you recommend?

Thanks.

DU

As far as the version of Foobar2k, get the "Special" version.  It has the ability to play .shn files, which is cool if you download anything from etree.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #77 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:47 am »
This all seems very exciting, but please help explain to me:

1.) Is it primarily the sound card that is responsible for the improved sound?

2.) Wouldn't the $500 fanless Norh Panda PC (that comes with a very quiet hard drive and can connect to a TV) be the ideal candidate for this application?  

3.) The VRS products look very nice, but why wouldn't any of you PC gurus market a poor man's version with 95% of the sound quality?

4.) What would it take to mate a PC to the Panny 45?

5.) Wouldn't you want to have a matching back up hard drive?

Dan G.

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jan 2004, 02:02 am »
JLM, I will ake a stab at your questions, although I am pretty new to this:

1. It is a combination of many thigns that result in the good sound, but I bet you could get good sound using an external DAC solution.  In fact, I think the magic in the Panny is in feeding it a digital signal, allowing it to handle the digital signal and amplification.  This means your Audio PC does not need a D/A if you go this route, which saves you a bunch on the audio portion.

2. The norh panda PC might be good, but would need some modifications, including  something to allow for digital output.  M Audio produces a USB product that allows for digital output called the sonica.  I think potentially USB audio devices can have lateny issues, but I have not investigated enough.  For playback they might be just fine.  For high end video, you might want other options to feed a high end projector for instance, I am not sure the panda has the best video, but for normal TV;s I am sure it would be more than sufficient.  The panda is $500, but remeber, then you need a monitor or touchscreen monitor, and a remote...  now you are nearer $1000

3. I have talked to Hantra about this and it gets more pricey than you would suspect.  It's not the components or construction, you have to remember you would need a simple user interface - there is a big difference between techies (who could build this themself) and non-technically inlclined( who want it to just work dammit!).  You also need to provide customer support, whih is a HUGE time and resource hog.  FAQ's, documentation, manuals, and easy operation.  One you put in margins for all this... well VRS's pricing doesn't look too bad....  
Now, if you an build this on a huge scale, then maybe you can cut pricing corners... I would hope that a major vendor releases a product in this niche...

4.  See #2.

Redundancy would be good, you don;t want a HD failure to eliminate your media collection.  I am working on this project myself piecemeal, starting with a firewire drive to store music.

dg

Phat Phreddy

• http://www.PhatPhreddy.net
« Reply #79 on: 22 Jan 2004, 02:35 am »
Hi guys,

Great thread... Looks like you guys are coming round to what we have been saying on AVS for a couple of years... A well configured (and this is VITAL) setup coupled with a pro soundcard does provide a solid setup for pennies on the dollar compared to high end audio components.

Check the threads listed here for Lynx / RME shootouts v Theta equipment... I hope to have an RME hammerfall chipset review soon.

Learn about KMixer and its resampling effects.. Use ASIO or Kernal streaming output only !!!

Learn about lossless encoding.

Build a silent PC and equip it with an RME card... Load on J Rivers MC10 for foobar quality playback but with databasing and ripping / tagging options... Built in lossless compatbiliy (matt of Monkeys Audio works for them).  Then look into netremote or music lobby for front ends to run on PDA's for total 2 way wireless control.  Music lobby on a touch screen also looks slicker than any crestron setup out there.