Products YOU would like to see reviewed! (2009)

Affordable$$Audio

Re: Products YOU would like to see reviewed! (2009)
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:18 pm »
Gaara:
I would definitely look for us to do more DAC's in 2009.  The Musiland I reviewed was a very interesting unit.  John Hoffman was one of the very first to review the Benchmark DAC usb.

As for cables, we have covered: MAC (My Audio Cables), Stager Silvers, Zebra Cables, AudioArt, Zingo, Anti-Cables.  Hopefully, we'll get a chance to review the Blue Jeans and others this year.

It's suggestions like yours that keep us going.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 06:27 pm by Affordable$$Audio »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2009, 06:09 pm »
I feel like the audio-gd I got a bit back is one of the great audio bargains to be had - the CAST based gear is stunning, and they have a tank-like integrated with full remote and it puts out 250 watts into 8 ohms, doubles to 500 at 4ohms, and doubles again to 1000 at 2ohms.  Impressive!  And only $1470.  I have the "separates" version of this piece (the C3 preamp and C1 amp), and the C3 amp has displaced my VTL tube amps (for midrange use, no less!)  Anyway, I think they are amazing, even though they take way longer to break in than any other piece of gear I've owned.

Link to the integrated:  http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/amp/FBI_1.htm

seadogs1

« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:15 pm »
How about the new Gedlee loudspeaker kits?

stereocilia

« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb 2009, 05:31 pm »
Speaking of DACs,

I just bought this super-cheap USB DAC, the iKEY-AUDIO iConnex:
http://www.ikey-audio.com/iconnex.htm

Why do I want to see a review of something I just bought?  I dunno.  There must be some psychology to it.  Maybe I just want to see what a real reviewer thinks.  Maybe I hope they will crack it open and take pictures of the guts or tell me how to tweak it.

JeffBrown

« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:27 pm »
For $50 that Ikey USB DAC could be a very cool very affordable device! 

Jeff Brown

Delacroix

« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2009, 02:51 am »
Synergistic Research Powercell power conditioner and a Audio Horizons TB 5.0n Tube Buffer....

Well, since you ask, the TB5.0 Tube Buffer review has been submitted...expect it in the next issue :)

oracle309

« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2009, 04:50 am »
Hi all.. I'm stew nelless of Affordable$$Audio.  After a somewhat long hiatus, I am back with a few items of interest, some DIY, all VERY affordable, that I am in the process of reviewing. I hope some will find these usefull and to the point. No expensive items here....

• NuForce Icon (USD$249) and Icon Mobile(USD$99). Primarly used as DACs, but also headphone amps. The Mobile could be a real giant killer. A DIY  modification for the Icon to allow any cable to be used with it. Comparisons to the 41HZ Amp6Basic
  • A new Decware DIY SE84 type amplifier, the ZKIT1,(USD$298)
  • Merrill loudspeaker drivers, the 5.5s and the 4.0s, neither will be presented in what most seem to be using for enclosures...Enough Zigmahorns are out there.
  • A proper review of the planet10 hifi Milevas using the full meal deal modded drivers

I am currently looking at some MP players (but not for MP3s). Working on a DIY turntable motor and controller, brainstorming on some electrostats, and looking into the Peter Daniel/Autosector amplifier kits.

stew

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #47 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:55 pm »
How about the new Gedlee loudspeaker kits?

+1

DTB300

« Reply #48 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:54 pm »
Review of some of the lower priced Power Cords of companies that have higher priced ones usually talked or reviewed:  Essential Sound Products (ESP) Music Cord and Music Cord Pro,  DH-Lab Power Plus, PS Audio Perfect Wave, Shunyata Viper, Acoustic Zen El-Nino, Zu Audio Birth, etc. etc.

oracle309

« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:12 pm »
well, DTB300, lower priced power cables:

Many years ago it was suggested to use whatever speaker cable you were using (if of a reasonable quality and with an adequate number of conductors/bundles) as an AC power cable., or "shotgun them to get enough conductors...

Most can afford a 3' piece of even the most expensive cable. Then the only limiting factor is the quality of the connectors. Any good Hospital (gas tight) grade IEEE AC cable is good place to start. I used to buy 'em for CAD$7, but that stockpile has been finished for some time. Purchasing the ends + cable can get expensive quickly, but not as quickly as purchasing high dollar ready made ones.

One thing most folks don't consider is what to do with the (sometimes) bulky AC cables and how practical (or impractical) they are.

Of interest is the use of inexpensive AC cable as "good" speaker cable....

bummrush

« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:03 pm »
Wyred for sound new pre amp when it comes out.

srclose

« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:11 pm »
McAlister preamp!

DTB300

« Reply #52 on: 24 Feb 2009, 01:58 pm »
well, DTB300, lower priced power cables:

One thing most folks don't consider is what to do with the (sometimes) bulky AC cables and how practical (or impractical) they are.
Good AC cords do not have to be bulky, massive, hard to work with as you stated with "sometimes"  this is just a fallacy and marketing hype to make people think they are better.  Like any cable one has to listen and make their choices.  So why not review stuff at both ends of the spectrum from the same company?  If the top-o-the-line is great, then their lower end should have "some" of the same qualities.  If not, say why in the reviews.

I have heard most of the cables I listed above along with their higher priced brothers and sisters.  Still a review and comparison would give folks some opinions and choices - the reason for reviews in the first place.  To identify products, write about them to inform the masses, then let the end user decide.

This is "Affordable-Audio" so why not review some of the lower priced affordable options.  While I understand the need and the reviews of top-of-the-line products, it does get old for me.

goskers

« Reply #53 on: 24 Feb 2009, 02:35 pm »

oracle309

DTB300 and others...
« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2009, 04:35 am »
I agree whole heartedly with the idea of the "Affordable" AC cable reviews. And bulk is in no way an indicator of quality.

Unfortunately I live in the audio wasteland known as Western Canada. Arranging loaners is tough, and manufacturers sometimes choose not to send me review samples, due to the hassles at the border. Often I defer these types of comparisons to others from the e-zine, who may have local or better access to some of these products.

I am all for more DIY, and I have been mainly focusing on that for about the last 6 mos...see the "Spirit of Orion" loudspeaker project as an example. Within a month or so, I hope to have a complete DIY put together at a ridiculously low cost. And it will be good. Decware amp, Merrill based loudspeakers, a used pre-amp/phono stage..etc. The closest thing I have to a DIY cd player is a modded Sony Playstation schp1001. And the closest thing I have to a DIY turntable is a replinth of an old Sugden Connoisseur. Well under USD$1000 for the lot. Does that qualify?

stew

rahimlee54

« Reply #55 on: 8 Mar 2009, 10:56 pm »
Salk Song Tower Review?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 8 Mar 2009, 11:01 pm »
Jeff Rowland Design Group Capri preamp. It retails around $3K so I don't know if you would consider it affordable but it is a great bargain given the performance level it provides.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #57 on: 9 Mar 2009, 12:16 am »
Rahimlee54:
Our former writer, Sean Fowler, just wrote a review on the Salk Song Towers at http://www.sonicflare.com

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #58 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:41 am »
Scott Nixon dac and the Buffalo Dac

IronLion

« Reply #59 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:44 am »
Pass Labs XP-10 or XP-20?