Products YOU would like to see reviewed! (2009)

Mariusz

Re: Products YOU would like to see reviewed! (2009)
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2009, 04:03 am »
  Can you do a review on the Accustic Arts Power 1 mk2 Integrated amp? http://musicalsounds.org

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????     

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2009, 05:09 am »
  Can you do a review on the Accustic Arts Power 1 mk2 Integrated amp? http://musicalsounds.org

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

BossaNova31

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2009, 05:09 am »
I for one would love to see the new Omega Super 8 XRS reviewed.  :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2009, 05:14 am »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

my or your pocket????????????????????????????? :scratch:

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2009, 05:19 am »
I for one would love to see the new Omega Super 8 XRS reviewed.  :thumb:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2009, 06:00 am »
 Synergistic Research Powercell power conditioner and a Audio Horizons TB 5.0n Tube Buffer....
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2009, 03:12 pm by HiFiSoundGuy »

JeffBrown

« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2009, 06:55 pm »
Since I already have some Fritz speakers, the Carbon 7s could be sooner then later!

MaxCast

« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2009, 07:07 pm »
GR's neo2 speakers and/or servo subs.

timjthomas

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2009, 07:13 pm »
Since I already have some Fritz speakers, the Carbon 7s could be sooner then later!

That would be great!!!

bluemike

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2009, 07:33 pm »
I would like to see a review of Duke's Jazz modules

Gaara

« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2009, 07:41 pm »
I for one would like to see more affordable audio being reviewed. 

For example most people wouldn't think of $500+ interconnects as affordable or better still last issues $625 component feet.  Honestly, since when is a $600 tweak affordable?

JeffBrown

« Reply #31 on: 14 Feb 2009, 08:39 pm »
While we don’t just review the most affordable equipment, in the last issue we did have some expensive accessories.  We also had a pair of $750 floor standers, $225 pair of stand mounted speakers, and a $169 IPod transmitter.  I would call this month a mixed bag.  We all know that audio accessories can get very expensive very quickly; I don’t begrudge my fellow reviewers for delving in to the more expensive of those accessories.  We have also reviewed expensive Macintosh equipment in the past, while not affordable to me at this point in my life; I hope it might be someday....

With some luck (and diligence on my part) I will have another very affordable speaker system finished for the March issue.

I know I do my best not to get too crazy with the equipment I review, but sometimes it can be difficult to say no just because the item is more expensive then I could personally afford to pay.

Please keep your opinions coming!

Jeff Brown

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:02 pm »
I'd love to get your take on one of the higher end Totem Acoustic loudspeakers (Forest or Wind).

Slushpuppy:  The Forests were reviewed in the February 2008 issue by Sean Fowler (lucky B$%#@&d). Look in the archives column for the standalone article.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, we'll see what we can do.......

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:17 pm »
I for one would like to see more affordable audio being reviewed. 

For example most people wouldn't think of $500+ interconnects as affordable or better still last issues $625 component feet.  Honestly, since when is a $600 tweak affordable?

Hi Gaara:
If you look at the February issue from a product price standpoint, it was the lowest pricing in many, many months.  One problem with the term "Affordable" is that it encompasses a fairly wide spectrum because different people define it in different ways.  A great many of us buy used gear, which usually goes for 50% of new if it's still being manufactured.  That means a $1500 budget for speakers can actually mean $3000 if pre-owned is ok with the buyer.

(This is copied from a post I made in AudioKarma about the same topic)
We have readers who enjoy reading about the various tweaks on the market. As publisher of an all-volunteer group, I give a tremendous amount of latitude to my writers to explore all areas of audio. I won't disagree that many of Audio Revive's products are not going to be on a majority of our readers radar screens. But still, their is nothing wrong with Anthony checking them out. He has spent a great deal of time getting the most out of his system via the standard route, including maximizing the sound from proper room setup. At this point, he's looking for the last little bit of sound improvement. Remember, tweaking is the ultimate in personal taste, it's not for everybody.

As for the HGA cables, the majority of the review was for the $275 Silver Lace interconnects. For those who have followed the affordable mantra via purchased higher quality used gear, checking out HGA products is right in line. Considering that cables move way into the five figures, it's not out of reason to be in A$$A. Not to mention, that they are actually assembled, not just badged here in the USA.

My appreciation for the fair-minded statement in your post.

Gaara

« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:14 am »
Jeff and Mark, I appreciate the responses.  I guess I just find it strange that a pair of speakers will be reviewed and later on in the same magazine I will see cables being reviewed at 3x the price.  What ever happened to the Harmony section, I always thought that was a great idea to segregate the more expensive equipment, and keep the majority of the issues affordable for the majority.

I do understand that people have wildly different budgets, I myself have a system which I refuse to spend more then $1k on, yet have spent $20k+ on my main rig.  I guess I am bias against certain items, as cables for example, I have never spent more then $100 for a set (interconnect or speaker wire) so I find a $500 pair outrageous, no matter if my budget is $1k or $20k.

"...but sometimes it can be difficult to say no just because the item is more expensive then I could personally afford to pay."  I can get this.  I might go test drive a Porsche even though I now I never would buy one.

As for specific items, if your going to go for footers you could try some Vibrapods/Cones or perhaps those sorbothane+cork feet, can't remember the name but I see them on Audiogon all the time.  Something that will make a improvement for not much coin, you can get a set of either of the aforementioned feet for $20.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #35 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:21 am »
Gaara:
Harmony is not a monthly section.  Rather, it appears when we have at least two pieces of equipment that fit in the above $2K price point in any one month. 
Thanks for responding,

JeffBrown

« Reply #36 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:46 am »
Everyone,
I'm sorry Gaara Mark and I got off on a tangent.  I would like to get back to the reason for the thread if at all possible.  What do you want to read about?

Jeff Brown

whubbard

« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2009, 05:08 am »
How did you feel about a DIY piece?

-West

JeffBrown

« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2009, 05:20 am »
I'm all for another DIY piece.  I'm sure at lease some of the other guys wouldn't mind doing one either!

Gaara

« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2009, 01:45 pm »
Yep, sorry guys.

How about more DAC reviews?  I know you guys reviewed the Monica and Promitheus DACs, both solid stuff, but what about MHDT?  The Paradisea and Havana have both been getting stellar reviews, I had a Paradisea and loved it, I preferred it to a variety of DACs I tried including Audio Sector, Monica II, and the famous battery powered Ack Dack.

As for cables, have you guys ever tried the cheap stuff?  That could be brands like Heartland Cables, Blue Jeans Cables, or Signal Cable.  I use all 3 and especially like Heartland for bang for your buck, Belden 89259 W/ Eichmann bullet plugs.  Most of the brands use the same wire and many times the same connectors, so you really could just pick one.  You could also go for MonoPrice or Tartan cable, see what kind of cables $5 buys for the audiophile on a shoe string budget.