new PC for $1K or less?

sts9fan

Re: new PC for $1K or less?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:25 pm »
I have had wonderful service from MWave.  I had a bundle come DOA and they cross shipped the new one so I would have it sooner.  I would give them an A in that department.

whubbard

« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:32 pm »
I've not saying that MWave is bad...just that NewEgg is better. You would have gotten the same great service from NewEgg, but the parts would have been cheaper. That's all. I'm also a bit confused how a bundle can come DOA? I am assuming it wasn't tested, but usually if something is wrong with a build its as simple as a single stick of RAM. I hope they didn't make you send the whole bundle back? Just use something like MemTest to figure out what's really wrong.

Also,
StereoCilia,

For a video card, if you don't care for the headroom:
ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB
N82E16814121259
$19.99 (After Mail-In Rebate)

This Mobo & Video Card combo is the same price as the Asus P5Q, but will be much better.

I also forgot to add this earlier, but if you are getting the Zalman, this thermal grease is a must. I figure sts9fan can help you install it as he seems to know well what he is doing.
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
N82E16835100007
$5.99

It will really help keep the E8400 cool.

-West

sts9fan

« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:43 pm »
off topic but the last I will say bout it.
The machine would not post.  It was not the memory as I tried it in another machine.  I did send every thing back including the MoBo not at their request at mine.  I just wanted all new crap because we could not be sure if the issue was the chip ir the mobo.  I did not feel like fighting the thing anymore.  Mwave agreed and complied to my wishes.  I now have a slick music server I could be happier with. 

whubbard

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm »
Sounds good, and makes sense. I'm glad it worked out well.
Now we'll keep it on topic.

StereoCilia,
I hope this has proved helpful to you, and you are now faced with a lot of choices, which is good. I think that pretty much all of the parts combinations will leave you with a great computer. I have just tried to point you in the direction of ones I think will leave you with the best computer for your uses.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any issues,
West

stereocilia

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm »
This has been incredibly helpful, more than I expected, actually.  I am really grateful for the advice.  It's good to know that both mWave and Newegg seem to be good resources.  Obviously, there will be differences of opinions about which part or vendor is better.  Right now, I'm tending to favor the system West has suggested.  So...I'll probably order the whole thing on Friday, maybe Monday, and I'll let you know the outcome.

I've been threatening to buy a computer for awhile, and knowing the results sts9fan is getting with his machine reinforces my confidence that rolling my own is the way to go.  My wife leans toward just buying a Dell and being done with it, but I've basically decided against that.  I mean, they have a Studio XPS with a Core i7 with 6 MB of RAM for $949 (without a monitor), so they make it tempting even though this is the absolute maximum for my budget.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

BradJudy

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:16 pm »
Several years ago Mwave was my go-to place for parts, but then I switched to Newegg and have used them for parts for both home and work for several years.  I've been happy with both, but Newegg has been my choice for quite a while. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:22 pm »
I just bought a Dell Vostro 220.   I used to build my own machines but not anymore.   The Vostro came with everything I needed for <$500 and I cannot hear it running.    I am going to buy a OCZ Apex SSD flash drive for OS & applications and keep the hard drive as a backup which is costing another $200 and I bought 4 Gig of memory from NewEgg.    I don't game so I didn't need a fancy video card.   The onboard video runs my CAD applications without any problem.

With the Solid State Hard drive I expect it to fly for general use.   For me, I just don't want it running slow during virus scans, I want applications to pop open without delay and I want to be able to multi-task without bringing the machine to it's knees.    Once I achieve that I don't need to go faster. 

Doublej

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:41 am »
....  I mean, they have a Studio XPS with a Core i7 with 6 MB of RAM for $949 (without a monitor), so they make it tempting even though this is the absolute maximum for my budget.

Right now that price includes a 23" monitor. Deal expires today.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:48 am »
....  I mean, they have a Studio XPS with a Core i7 with 6 MB of RAM for $949 (without a monitor), so they make it tempting even though this is the absolute maximum for my budget.

Right now that price includes a 23" monitor. Deal expires today.

Where did you see that?

George

whubbard

« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2009, 12:55 am »
Dell knew of no such deal...

Doublej

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:13 am »
Check here.

http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/103191

Says $997 but when you click through to the Dell site it's $948. What am I missing?

Of course Dell CSRs knows nothing about it. They get paid on commission I suspect.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:22 am »
The Vostro 220 is shipping with a 22" monitor.   It just has a dual core 2.8 Ghz but you don't need that much processor for most desktop applications.    $419 plus shipping.

If you want a 24" monitor just add $120

Don't buy extra RAM because you can get it from Newegg MUCH cheaper.   

BradJudy

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:25 am »
I see the Dell difference.  The deal on a regular click through of the Dell website gives you $949 with no monitor and a 2yr warranty.  In the link that Doublej provided, they switched the warranty to a 1yr and added a monitor for a difference of $1 ($948 total).

whubbard

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:27 am »
That's a pretty good deal. If I were you I might just jump on that.

Here is the direct link: $949 Dell With Monitor

-West

EDIT: It's probably worth it to also (if you take this deal and decide not to build) to just spend the extra $90 and get the 24 Inch monitor.

I feel I should add that building your own computer, is as I've said before, a wonderful process; however, I just don't think you'll see an i7 920 with 6GB and a 23" monitor for $949. i7 920 is about $300, the associated motherboards are about $300 (even though they are better than the dell board, there is sadly no i7 socket boards to be found below $280) and the monitor would run you about $200. So your talking about $800 in pretty much pure parts. This dell hits a nice spot.

stereocilia

« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:07 am »
Augh!  I was just finished filling my Newegg shopping cart when I checked this thread.  So, you guys are down with the Dell?  I guess that would be easier.

whubbard

« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2009, 03:26 am »
It is really your call.
The system you were going to build would wind up being about $800. So It will be more expensive to get the Dell, but the performance would be better. I think its worth the experience to build, worth the performance for the dell.

-West

I should add that if you build, down the road you can upgrade to i7 for fairly cheap in a few month.

stereocilia

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:42 am »
Well, it looks like the Dell deal doesn't expire until Feb 20, according to the "discount details."  I was worried that I had to jump on it tonight.  The Dell also includes a monitor which is a bonus but not a requirement.  But, I won't clear my shopping cart just yet.  My wife now wants more ownership in the decision, so I need some time to bring her up to speed.  I can think of one other minor reason to consider Dell: my parents-in-law live in Round Rock near the HQ, so as Dell declines their community suffers.

stereocilia

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:45 am »
almost forgot -- if I replace the processor with an i7, do I just drop it in and change the BIOS?  Or is there much more to it.  Becuase if that's the case then I could go with the cheapest processor with plans to upgrade.

whubbard

« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:54 am »
The problem with building with the i7 is it is a different socket. So you would need a new Motherboard. All the current i7 Motherboards (that I have seen) cost about $300. If there was one for about $100 right now, it would be an easy cost choice to just build the computer yourself, but that $200 makes a difference. So, if you wait a while, Asus/Gigabyte will start making the $100 Motherboards, and then for about $300 you will be able to bring you computer well up to spec. It sounds complicated, but its not too bad.

I really should stress that the machine with the E8400 will be VERY fast by all standards. The 920 is just even faster.

-West

If you want to build with i7 now, it actually won't be THAT bad:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366
N82E16813128375
$184.99 (After Mail-In Rebate)

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
N82E16819115202
$289.99

I must say this is almost worth the cost difference of $205. This would make the total cost of your basic machine $740 + (Operating System & Cost of fans & screen). I also would have to check that the power supply would work with the i7, and also you would only have 4GB of ram vs. 6GB, however I would take 4GB of good ram over 6GB of 'dell' ram.

....After all this, I would say my initial conclusion would stand. Building will be slightly more expensive, but worth the experience, and will give you easy upgrade options. Also, if you build the E8400, it will be fast and economical. Buying the i7 Dell will give you the best performance under $1000 that I have seen.

stereocilia

« Reply #39 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:11 am »
Okay, thanks, that clears it up.  The more I think about it, I think having more control over the noise of the machine is appealing, pointing me back to the build path.  And, like you've said, it's gratifying.  Any activity which employs something called "Thermal Grease" sounds like fun.   aa