Center Channel for av123 Strata Mini

dvenardos

Center Channel for av123 Strata Mini
« on: 28 Jan 2009, 07:49 pm »
I am currently using an av123 Ref 100 as a center channel with the Strata Mini and would like a center channel that blends better. How does the Neo 3pdr sound compared to the planar magnetic in the Mini?
The O-3 looks like an interesting option as I can easily use a center tower for my center channel, assuming that Danny would sell me a single. :)

I am having the enclosures built for the AV-1RS which I will use as surrounds.

Thoughts?

Danny Richie

Re: Center Channel for av123 Strata Mini
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm »
The O-3 is a great option as a center channel if you can use a fllor standing design like that and if you can get it at least three feet out from the wall.

Another good option is a single sealed Neo-2X.

And yes, I will be glad to sell you singles of any of our kits if you like.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2009, 10:53 pm »
The O-3 is a great option as a center channel if you can use a fllor standing design like that and if you can get it at least three feet out from the wall.

I don't think I can get 3' from the wall.

Another good option is a single sealed Neo-2X.

I see you can also build that as a ported tower to increase the frequency response.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm »
I see you can also build that as a ported tower to increase the frequency response.

Yes.

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:46 am »
Hi Danny.  Not to beat a dead horse, but do you see the A/V-3S redesign with the Neo 3 pdr being available soon?

Yes, very soon. I have a guy building me a set of cabinets for it right now.

Is this still in the works?

phoenix_rising

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:50 pm »

Yes.

Hi Danny,

I bought a set of NEO 2X from you, do you have plans for a front ported box for them and if so could you please provide a link to it.

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:22 pm »
Hank drew up some really nice plans for it but it is in a .dwg file. I'll have to figure out how to convert it to a pdf file or something. Maybe Hank can help with this? Hank?

BillB

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2009, 03:41 pm »
How about a BG8 with an Atohm on either side and the tweet in a little pod on the top ala B&W?

If they offer Atohms in different impedences it might even be possible to use a single Ninja crossover to make it real simple.

Or could one of your woofers like the 130 or 160 be used and the x-over adjusted accordingly?

Of course it would have to be a custom fabricated enclosure but it would maintain the mini's driver lineup.

You could even build a stand that housed another powered 8" if you felt randy.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:18 pm »
Hank drew up some really nice plans for it but it is in a .dwg file. I'll have to figure out how to convert it to a pdf file or something. Maybe Hank can help with this? Hank?

Danny,

Email the dwg file to me then I'll convert it into pdf or jpg for you.

I sent you an email earlier this morning.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2009, 05:31 pm »
I bought a set of NEO 2X from you, do you have plans for a front ported box for them and if so could you please provide a link to it.

Done with a big thanks to Dave for converting them.

See links below:

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xside.pdf

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xrearslot.pdf

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xbrace.pdf

Note that the tweeter cut out was drawn for a different tweeter so you will need to used the driver spacing and drawings from the regular Neo-2X plans.

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2009, 06:48 pm »
How about a BG8 with an Atohm on either side and the tweet in a little pod on the top ala B&W?

If they offer Atohms in different impedences it might even be possible to use a single Ninja crossover to make it real simple.

Or could one of your woofers like the 130 or 160 be used and the x-over adjusted accordingly?

Of course it would have to be a custom fabricated enclosure but it would maintain the mini's driver lineup.

Now that would be THE plan Bill, but I think Danny is too busy for anything like that and as for me, well, that's why Danny designs the crossovers. :)

Done with a big thanks to Dave for converting them.

See links below:

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xside.pdf

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xrearslot.pdf

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/neo2xbrace.pdf

Note that the tweeter cut out was drawn for a different tweeter so you will need to used the driver spacing and drawings from the regular Neo-2X plans.

Is the bottom section showing either a slotted port or a circular port? If not what is the bottom cutout for?

HT cOz

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2009, 07:18 pm »

[/quote]

Is the bottom section showing either a slotted port or a circular port? If not what is the bottom cutout for?
[/quote]

I believe that is the terminal cup.

Thanks,
Robert

dvenardos

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2009, 07:23 pm »
 :duh:
I believe that is the terminal cup.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2009, 05:05 am »

Danny,

Email the dwg file to me then I'll convert it into pdf or jpg for you.

I sent you an email earlier this morning.

Thanks Guys, Appreciated.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:22 pm »

. . . a good question (I think anyway) here is where exactly to get the Atohm drivers from?  All I could find of them on the web (other than reviews of AV123 products) is the company's home page - in French and very poorly translated by google.  Do they have any US distributorship?  I checked partsexpress and madisound with no luck. . .

dvenardos

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2009, 07:09 pm »

. . . a good question (I think anyway) here is where exactly to get the Atohm drivers from?  All I could find of them on the web (other than reviews of AV123 products) is the company's home page - in French and very poorly translated by google.  Do they have any US distributorship?  I checked partsexpress and madisound with no luck. . .

Danny says it would be a total redesign of the crossover to put it in a MTM configuration and no simple task.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:44 am »
>>>If they offer Atohms in different impedences it might even be possible to use a single Ninja crossover to make it real simple.<<<

They are available in 4 and 8 off the shelf.

>>>. . . a good question (I think anyway) here is where exactly to get the Atohm drivers from?<<<

Sourcing should not be an issue but I will check.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:12 am »
Sorry I'm kind of late to the party back at this thread. . .

Sean, if you could source a set of mini drivers (and a stock crossover?) for the top part of the speaker, maybe the dream of a mini center could still be alive! :)

So, what's the internal volume of the mini top section and atohm driver enclosure anyway?  Could one of the PE cabinets be used for some quick-and-dirty prototyping?

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2009, 03:15 pm »
We are working on a new from scratch design.

emac

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2009, 03:25 pm »
We are working on a new from scratch design.

The fact that I'm reading "We are working on..." is enough to get me excited.