Center Channel for av123 Strata Mini

Danny Richie

Re: Center Channel for av123 Strata Mini
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2009, 03:34 pm »
The Ninja is pretty sure he can get the drivers and is checking on that now.

Think a pair of the Atohm woofers on either side of the Sonigistics mid and a tweeter just above it.

emac

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:07 pm »

Think a pair of the Atohm woofers on either side of the Sonigistics mid and a tweeter just above it.

Already drooling  :drool:  The Mini's are great for HT, just different than what people are used to. 

Airborn

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2009, 06:41 pm »

I too am interested in this project, as I had almost given up hope of ever seeing a matching center for my Minis. :(  Please keep the updates coming.  Now to find some matching Rosewood and someone to do the piano finish.... :drool:

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm »
Here is a really bad mock up of a Mini Center.  The direct front on shot makes it look a little funky.  Don't let that turn you off.  I'll post something better up shortly.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:28 pm »
Yea, we'll trim some of that meat from around the drivers to make the frontage a little smaller.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm »
Precisely.  I will get a new mock up... uh... mocked up soon :)

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:59 am »
Here is a slightly better iteration.  Again, not perfect; not all scaling is correct.  This is just a crude mock up for the purposes of realizing the idea for everyone.  Don't expect it to look just like this... (IF we move forward!)

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:04 am »
Dang Ninja! That looks pretty good. Let that side panel and top piece be Rosewood and your there man.

emac

« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:09 am »
That's pretty sweet looking.   :thumb:  Sign me up!

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #29 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:18 am »
Yeah, I could not 'rosewood' those panels and keep the proper lighting.  My Photoshopz skillz just aren't there...

Thanks for the compliment though!

Ninja

Dang Ninja! That looks pretty good. Let that side panel and top piece be Rosewood and your there man.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:18 am »
Oh, how about something like this for the flat TV crowd?

emac

« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:35 am »
Oh, how about something like this for the flat TV crowd?

Wow!  Huge WAF.

johnzm

« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2009, 06:24 pm »
im keeping an eye on this... X series center just is not cutting it.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:03 am »
Sean, I like the on-wall mockup.  Actually, I think folks would be more than happy with the same thing but only one mid driver - just like the existing mini.  Thinking on it, wouldn't that actually be a better option for matching up with the minis acoustically; could it use the same crossover as the current design?

I appreciate you and Danny looking into this whole thing at all.  Seeing as the mini is a retired speaker, it really is just a labor of love to complete the set. :)

emac

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2009, 03:13 am »
Sean, I like the on-wall mockup.  Actually, I think folks would be more than happy with the same thing but only one mid driver - just like the existing mini.  Thinking on it, wouldn't that actually be a better option for matching up with the minis acoustically; could it use the same crossover as the current design?

I appreciate you and Danny looking into this whole thing at all.  Seeing as the mini is a retired speaker, it really is just a labor of love to complete the set. :)

Agreed that I appreciate you guys looking into this. 

As for having multiple mid drivers, that may help things out.  The part of the Mini I've never been quite satisfied with is the powered woofer.  Likely, I need to spend more time on placement and fine tuning things, but I've never felt it meshed well w/ the rest of the speaker.  Having 2 drivers like that would likely extend the bass into the realm where one can easily match w/ an external sub. 

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:55 pm »
It was just a mock up for fun.  I nor anyone else that I know of is working on this so not sure anything will ever come of it.  Maybe.  I really don't know if I want to be in the 'speaker building' business :)

As for the same crossover; it would be similar but not exactly the same I believe (this speaker would be narrower than the standard Mini).  Either way that is not the hard part.  Getting cabs made is always the hard part.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:59 pm »
The powered 8" in the Mini should blend seamlessly.  It should never sound 'separate' - it should sound as if the speaker is simply capable of near full range operation.

I'm confident that with some tweaking, you can get it to all blend quite well.  Start a new thread here or in the Skiing Ninja upgrade forum [http://ninjasreview.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3] and we can help you out.  Post photos as well as the settings you are using on each Strata amp.

Ninja

As for having multiple mid drivers, that may help things out.  The part of the Mini I've never been quite satisfied with is the powered woofer.  Likely, I need to spend more time on placement and fine tuning things, but I've never felt it meshed well w/ the rest of the speaker.  Having 2 drivers like that would likely extend the bass into the realm where one can easily match w/ an external sub. 

dvenardos

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:32 pm »
Getting cabs made is always the hard part.

Lots of cabinet makers in these neck of the woods. From my perspective that is the easiest part. :)

emac

« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2009, 11:24 pm »
I suppose it comes down to personal preference regarding a separate sub vs. powered woofers.  For use in a larger room (like mine) or for HT, I feel like having a very good separate sub that will play loudly and deeply is preferable to powered woofers that go to 28 Hz.  This way there's just one driver for the bass frequencies, and it's easier to blend everything together.  Now, for a smaller, 2 channel listening room, then the way the Mini's are set up is likely optimal. 

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 

The powered 8" in the Mini should blend seamlessly.  It should never sound 'separate' - it should sound as if the speaker is simply capable of near full range operation.

I'm confident that with some tweaking, you can get it to all blend quite well.  Start a new thread here or in the Skiing Ninja upgrade forum [http://ninjasreview.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3] and we can help you out.  Post photos as well as the settings you are using on each Strata amp.

Ninja

dvenardos

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2009, 12:10 am »
I suppose it comes down to personal preference regarding a separate sub vs. powered woofers.  For use in a larger room (like mine) or for HT, I feel like having a very good separate sub that will play loudly and deeply is preferable to powered woofers that go to 28 Hz.  This way there's just one driver for the bass frequencies, and it's easier to blend everything together.  Now, for a smaller, 2 channel listening room, then the way the Mini's are set up is likely optimal. 

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. 

I think the powered woofer on the mini has a "heavier" feel than the rest of the mini. It blends well for me and I like the flexibility, but I think I would have made a different design choice.
Just going from the description and not from personal experience, I bet the servo sub would sound quite nice with the Mini.