One size fits all? Where baffle size matters.

Telstar

Re: One size fits all? Where baffle size matters.
« Reply #100 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm »
I always support the idea of using the correct baffle width (e.g. comparatively narrow, such as the ones in the Orion or NaO). But I realised that in order to do that the design is a lot more complicated with at least 3 way to achieve that. For diyers a two way with a full range driver argmented with a woofer is far more attractive for its lower costs and simplicity. But that requires a wider baffle. I was exploring the idea to make wider baffle work with damping materials applied to the baffle, an idea coming from the findings of my U-frame studies.

Hi Bill,

I'm trying to understand if for bass support, lets say 30-100hz damping is needed and which help can provide.
Talking about pretty narrow (around 35cm) baffle width.

gainphile2

• Gainphile
« Reply #101 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:31 am »
I just read this independent Linkwitz Orion measurement (SL won't give one) from here:

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

Clearly the peak is also still there at about 500Hz. Does anyone know the target f, q, and attenuation of Orion midrange xo ?

sba

« Reply #102 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:44 pm »

Hi,  I'll be using the Eminence Beta-8A as a mid driver in my  3-way passive OB project.  A vintage JBL (LE25 / LE26) paper tweeter in a custom 5" waveguide will be above, and a vintage JBL 15" d130f will be below, boosted by Graham's warp drive T-Bass.

"Have heard the Beta 8 used in pairs for midrange up to 6K.  Worked very well, yes indeed."

"the Beta 8A started to roll off quickly starting @ 4Khz(from his FR curve) and he used the natural roll off(no cone break up) to x-over to the tweeter"
[/color]

So wait !....Should I run the Beta-8A full-range without any electrical filter?   Should it have a zobel ?

Thanks 

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #103 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:52 am »
Telstar,

Sorry for the late response. I have been busy and have not come to this site for a while.

At 35-100Hz no practical amount of damping materials can be effective. The material must be as thick as 1/4 wave length to be effective in damping (roughly, not quantified). So for 100Hz it is 0.85 metre, and 35Hz it is 3 metres.

Regards,
Bill