High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker...

PMAT

Please put copious amounts of lipstick on that pig. People are married you know.

rick57

Hi Danny

(I just received a set of SW-12-16FR’s today . :)

> the plans for an H frame

The wings (sides) as drawn over the mid-tweeters (coaxes) are swept in to minimal-zero depth – very much like the Orion. Though I believe SL did this for aesthetics rather than any sonic advantage . .

Deeper sides (longer distance around) would allow the P Audio "mids" to go a little lower, wouldn’t that make integrating the bass easier?

Cheers

Danny Richie

Deeper sides (longer distance around) would allow the P Audio "mids" to go a little lower, wouldn’t that make integrating the bass easier?

It doesn't appear to be necessary. Integration is excellent.

Danny Richie

I think I need to come up with a name for these things now. Maybe you guys can help...

arthurs

OBHS-1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I think I need to come up with a name for these things now. Maybe you guys can help...

George's new speakers???   aa

Danny Richie

Okay, I'll start a new "name the speaker" thread.

Tmantn

Danny,

I don't think any one has asked this question yet.

Do you crossover the rear ambience tweeter with the same first order slope as the compression driver?

What tweeter do you use for the speaker?

Do you propose to make an attenuator for the rear tweeter?

Is it set up out of phase with the compression driver?

Danny Richie

Do you crossover the rear ambience tweeter with the same first order slope as the compression driver?

Yes.

What tweeter do you use for the speaker?

I used a GR-T6 soft dome since I had them on hand and since they are in the 96db range.

Do you propose to make an attenuator for the rear tweeter?

I do have an in line resistor on it to help balance the impedance level. It also brought the level down a bit so it is not playing as loud as the woofer. The resistor level can be lowered to bring the output level up and at the same time it will reduce the impedance a little. This will be no problem for most amps as it is a pretty easy 8 ohm load to begin with.

I left it at its current level because I had the low powered single ended amp guys in mind and those amps like the flat line impedance in the higher ohm range. It was also left at this level because it sounded really good there.

Is it set up out of phase with the compression driver?

I wired it with reverse polarity so it is in phase with the woofer above it. It had the smoothest rear output response that way. Yes, I extensively measured it from behind as well.

AK

• twisterspeakers
Danny, what do you think makes these BM12-CXA woofers have such dynamic sound?
could it be because of large diameter and heavy gauge voice coil?

Danny Richie

I think much of the dynamics comes from the high sensitivity and stiff suspension.

rick57

Hi Danny,
The proof of the pudding is of course in the listening (and measuring), but I'm curious how the GR-T6 soft dome goes at higher levels. It's Fs is 1 kHz, and its normally used above 2 kHz. Although its attenuated a little, crossing over at Fs when the volume is up, I would think would raise distortion. Yes its only the ambience, but it seems to me there could be better options. Does it have much Xmax? 

If 88 dB were sufficient, this OEM tweeter http://www.acousticdev.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:ceradome-tweeter&catid=37:uncategorized&Itemid=59 
while Fs is 850, Xmax is 1.85 mm! so it can be crossed easily at 1000 Hz, where I believe it should be capable of  c 108 dB.

Cheers

Danny Richie

I'm curious how the GR-T6 soft dome goes at higher levels.

Excellent!

It's Fs is 1 kHz, and its normally used above 2 kHz. Although its attenuated a little, crossing over at Fs when the volume is up, I would think would raise distortion.

It is well protected and doesn't hit it's Fs until it is about 25db down. It is a little down in output compared to the woofer (which seems to work out just about right) and crosses to it near 2kHz.

The proof of the pudding is of course

Yep.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
I've been following these with anticipation.  Look forward to these kits getting finalized.   :D

rick57

If the rear tweeter is about 25 db down at Fs, is it a 4th XO starting c 2 KHz?

Cheers

Danny Richie

If the rear tweeter is about 25 db down at Fs, is it a 4th XO starting c 2 KHz?

Electrically, it is a first order network.

kyrill

Danny

is it possible for the Paudio to be crossed at 2khz and use another (excellent) tweeter instead of the build in tweeter crossing at 1khz?

i cant see the tweeter from the picture, i dont see the "whizzer"?

Danny Richie

is it possible for the Paudio to be crossed at 2khz and use another (excellent) tweeter instead of the build in tweeter crossing at 1khz?

That is an odd thought.

For one, the 12" woofer has no business playing to a crossover point that high. The off axis response would fall apart in that application.

Using any other tweeter externally crossed at 2kHz would push the acoustic centers to far apart for them to blend properly. For a 2kHz crossover point the acoustic centers would have to be less than 6.5" apart (as a rule of thumb).

The distance between the drivers would also cause a vertical lobbing error.

Also, the tweeter in this speaker is great! You'd have a tough time finding any that can do what this one does.

i cant see the tweeter from the picture, i dont see the "whizzer"?

There is no whizzer. Whizzer cones are used on full range drivers. This one has a compression driver right in the center of it firing through the dust cap.

kyrill

Another lesson learned  :)