BRYStON BDA-1

KeithA

Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #180 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:25 pm »
Toslink is the worst of all, highest jitter on every single device I tried.

It's amazing that you have test equipment to be able to measure this.

It is silly to even consider using Squeezebox as digital source into any but the cheapest DACs.

Everyone is this hobby is silly in different ways. Can't say I agree with your comment. Sure, a high-end transport, etc, with lower 'jittter', etc, MAY be a better source? I really don't know and really don't care since I doubt there's any appreciable difference for me. I have tried a few options and the results were that there were certainly no dicernable differences that I could detect....and that's the only set of ears that matter to me.

As far as using the Squeezebox as a source, this is not the first time I've seen these types of comments. In UHF Mag Issue #79 they actually built their own little "robust" power supply for the Squeezebox to see if it made an improvement over the cheap little switching power supply that comes with the unit. Two of the reviewers thought that the upgrade made a difference on the first try. One reviewer thought that the cheap little supply sounded better. On a second pass, all agreed that the upgraded supply had some advantages. In the end, all commented that IT WAS SCARY HOW CLOSE THE SQUEEZEBOX CAME TO ITS REFERENCE PLAYER. And yes, thery are referring to the 'upgraded' Squeezebox, but at first one of the reviewers thought the stock one sounded better, which leads me to believe the stock and upgraded are very close.

So, even though the thought of using a $300 piece of equipment in a high-end system is totally not your cup of tea, it may very well float somebody else's boat and the marginal difference, if any, may not be worth the extra $$ for more expensive gear.

However, I certainly wouldn't call somebody silly for even entertaining the idea. After all, it's all about the music.....right :wink:

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #181 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:54 pm »
Interesting point.

How much jitter does it take to be heard by an experienced listener?

james

denjo

« Reply #182 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:59 pm »
Toslink is the worst of all, highest jitter on every single device I tried.

It's amazing that you have test equipment to be able to measure this.

It is silly to even consider using Squeezebox as digital source into any but the cheapest DACs.

Everyone is this hobby is silly in different ways. Can't say I agree with your comment. Sure, a high-end transport, etc, with lower 'jittter', etc, MAY be a better source? I really don't know and really don't care since I doubt there's any appreciable difference for me. I have tried a few options and the results were that there were certainly no dicernable differences that I could detect....and that's the only set of ears that matter to me.

As far as using the Squeezebox as a source, this is not the first time I've seen these types of comments. In UHF Mag Issue #79 they actually built their own little "robust" power supply for the Squeezebox to see if it made an improvement over the cheap little switching power supply that comes with the unit. Two of the reviewers thought that the upgrade made a difference on the first try. One reviewer thought that the cheap little supply sounded better. On a second pass, all agreed that the upgraded supply had some advantages. In the end, all commented that IT WAS SCARY HOW CLOSE THE SQUEEZEBOX CAME TO ITS REFERENCE PLAYER. And yes, thery are referring to the 'upgraded' Squeezebox, but at first one of the reviewers thought the stock one sounded better, which leads me to believe the stock and upgraded are very close.

So, even though the thought of using a $300 piece of equipment in a high-end system is totally not your cup of tea, it may very well float somebody else's boat and the marginal difference, if any, may not be worth the extra $$ for more expensive gear.

However, I certainly wouldn't call somebody silly for even entertaining the idea. After all, it's all about the music.....right :wink:

Keith

I agree with Keith's comments that the SB3 may not be everybody's cup of tea but anyhow the ultimate aim is about the music.

As for the PSU (and strictly from my experience and friends whose ears I trust), a good PSU will elevate the humble SB3 to heights that would favourably compare with an expensive CDP (and some might say, even reference players). I use a Paul Hynes' PSU (really small rectagular shunt regulator) and use the SB3's digital out via coaxial (Karl's excellent 118 digital cable) and must say that the music is enjoyable, listenable and satisfying!And the internet radio is a real treat for me!  At the end of the day its all about the music!

Best Regards
Dennis

KeithA

« Reply #183 on: 4 Jan 2009, 01:22 pm »

As for the PSU (and strictly from my experience and friends whose ears I trust), a good PSU will elevate the humble SB3 to heights that would favourably compare with an expensive CDP (and some might say, even reference players). I use a Paul Hynes' PSU (really small rectagular shunt regulator) and use the SB3's digital out via coaxial (Karl's excellent 118 digital cable) and must say that the music is enjoyable, listenable and satisfying!And the internet radio is a real treat for me!  At the end of the day its all about the music!

Best Regards
Dennis

Funny....in a previous post I alluded to the fact that if I get silly some day I may order an 'after-market' power supply for the Duet. Maybe I'll order the CI Audio supply for $279. At that price, it would be worth the little experiment.

Keith

denjo

« Reply #184 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:41 pm »
Keith

If you do, be sure to share with us your experiences of the CIAudio PSU versus the stock power supply!

Best Regards
Dennis

Sasha

« Reply #185 on: 4 Jan 2009, 02:42 pm »
NewBuyer,

By cheapest I mean those priced accordingly, in the same category as SB3, so ~ > 500.00 if you want a figure.
A decent clock would cost as much as entire SB3.
BDA-1 and SB3 are far apart in every aspect.
I had SB3, I tried to make it a decent source by modifications and it was impossible, in the end I sold it.
SB3 is a computer gizmo and should be looked at as such, it is not a good digital source.

KeithA

I do not need to measure jitter, measurements were made and showed extremely high jitter on Toslink of devices I tried.
And I compared the performance, the difference and impact of higher jitter are easily heard.
So however you slice it, by measuring it or listening to it, the difference is enormous.
I am not calling people silly but the ideas, there is a difference, right?  :wink:
For me it is silly to pair SB3 with BDA-1, as it would be silly to pair 15K speakers with 2K amp, or as is silly the argument that high bit rate of MP3 is undistinguishable from uncompressed signal.
Because it is silly, I would never get engaged in discussion with someone who says he/she never heard the difference, or red some article to that effect, because such discussion would be pointless.
There are actually people that do that, buy BDA-1 or any better executed DAC and feed it with MP3.
It is all question of priorities, if you do not care about the difference, simply because you do not care or you have not heard anything that may convince you otherwise, then by all means continue to do so, but do not get offended when someone tells people seeking advice to consider the real benefits and shortcomings of whatever device and technology is being discussed.
I do not care what UHF said, I heard SB3 on both of its digital interfaces, with and without linear regulated PSU, into several DACs, in my system, and have seen measurements.
SB3 is simply a computer toy, and not a good digital source.
Anything can be characterized as marginal difference, depends who is talking and from what perspective.
For example you can say there is a marginal difference between Bryston integrated amp and Bryston monoblocks, and they all sound the same. I beg to differ.

James,

I did lots of experimenting with different digital sources, transports, DACs.
No experienced listener is required, just resolute system so that differences are not masked, this is the main reason why people do not hear differences.
A few examples.
SB3 SPDIF measures somewhere around 400ps, TosLink around 800ps.
The difference is easily heard, no matter if any kind of upsamling is engaged or not.
Lynx L22 with claimed jitter of 150ps into Wadia 581i, compared to the same track cut to a CD and played from the tray (essentially tells you the difference between digital input where source is not slaved, signal is recovered through double PLL, and digital playback from tray where source is slaved to the clock from DAC).
This is as good comparison as you get, everything in the chain is the same.
The difference is day and night, all you need is a few seconds of a material with drums let’s say, from the tray there is speed, definition and control that is lacking from digital input. One may be very happy with digital input performance, but once the difference is heard it cannot be denied.
And this is not just any PC with Lynx L22, it is completely fanless (heat pipes and radiators), completely tuned up for a single purpose, digital playback, meaning OS footprint is as small as possible, all non essential HW disabled, professional tools from Steinberg used.
My point is that BDA-1 is well executed piece, as much as good as Wadia, from the engineering point of view, and there are obvious sonic benefits this engineering brings.
SB3 is a joke, it belongs together with MP3 players.

denjo

« Reply #186 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:07 pm »

SB3 is a computer gizmo and should be looked at as such, it is not a good digital source.

For me it is silly to pair SB3 with BDA-1...SB3 is simply a computer toy, and not a good digital source...
SB3 is a joke, it belongs together with MP3 players.

Sasha
I would be very interested to know what would be a smart (non-silly) good digital source to feed the BDA-1?
BTW, have you heard the SB3 digital out with a Paul Hynes' shunt regulated PSU? What PSUs have you tried? What kind of digital cables feeding the DAC?

Best Regards
Dennis

jman66

« Reply #187 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:38 pm »
Interesting...
I feed my BDA-1 using the SPDIF out from an unmodded SB Duet and have no complaints on the sound quality.

Sasha, what's your opinion or experience feeding the BDA-1 using USB?

-jim

Sasha

« Reply #188 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:46 pm »
Dennis,

That is the question that made me do all this research and testing, what to feed DAC from (BDA-1 or anything else).
My present objective is to build a library of high resolution files (24/96 and 24/192), as it clearly sounds better than 16/44.1, so it has to be a PC based solution.
At present time if you want relatively inexpensive PC based digital source solution (~4K), it has to be Lynx card in PC.
This is not as good as reference transports but you do not get anything better at this time at reasonable cost. This could be improved further by isolating sound card in its own enclosure, and providing clean regulated power to the card. I have not tried it yet.
Other people took the path of reclocking the digital signal out of Lynx before sending it to DAC, using for example Apogee.
I am reluctant to invest more at this time into my PC since it seems that proper solution will be soon released in sufficient quantities from different manufacturers so that it is priced reasonably.
For example, look at solutions from Linn.
Conceptually it is the same as SB3, you have Ethernet as transport from storage, but it is executed in much more serious way (and priced accordingly). The whole idea is to have digital signal generation and of course conversion outside of hostile PC environment.
It seems to me that USB based solutions are dead end, none support higher resolution (and will not be able to with present state of affairs).
I have not tried Paul Hynes' PSU, mine was lab PSU from TekPower. Digital cables were numerous.
To give you an example of where SB3 stands in terms of performance, I also compared it to ~700.00 player used as digital source into the same external DAC (SPDIF from SB3 and SPDIF from CD player, same digital cable).
Big difference, player being far superior.
Here is suggestion.
Sign a petition to Bryston, ask them to develop their version of SB3/LinnDS and like transports, with properly engineered and executed boards, traces, PSU, regulation, etc., dare I say slaved to the clock from BDA-1, and you are done.

Sasha

« Reply #189 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:52 pm »
Jim,

Have not looked at all into anything using USB as it does not support high resolution, what is one of my objectives.
There is a solution from Empirical Audio that supports 24/96, but it requires too much customization to achieve optimal performance.

KeithA

« Reply #190 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:53 pm »
KeithA

I do not need to measure jitter, measurements were made and showed extremely high jitter on Toslink of devices I tried.
And I compared the performance, the difference and impact of higher jitter are easily heard.
So however you slice it, by measuring it or listening to it, the difference is enormous.
I am not calling people silly but the ideas, there is a difference, right?  :wink:
For me it is silly to pair SB3 with BDA-1, as it would be silly to pair 15K speakers with 2K amp, or as is silly the argument that high bit rate of MP3 is undistinguishable from uncompressed signal.
Because it is silly, I would never get engaged in discussion with someone who says he/she never heard the difference, or red some article to that effect, because such discussion would be pointless.
There are actually people that do that, buy BDA-1 or any better executed DAC and feed it with MP3.
It is all question of priorities, if you do not care about the difference, simply because you do not care or you have not heard anything that may convince you otherwise, then by all means continue to do so, but do not get offended when someone tells people seeking advice to consider the real benefits and shortcomings of whatever device and technology is being discussed.
I do not care what UHF said, I heard SB3 on both of its digital interfaces, with and without linear regulated PSU, into several DACs, in my system, and have seen measurements.
SB3 is simply a computer toy, and not a good digital source.
Anything can be characterized as marginal difference, depends who is talking and from what perspective.
For example you can say there is a marginal difference between Bryston integrated amp and Bryston monoblocks, and they all sound the same. I beg to differ.

Offended :?

I can certainly guarantee you that I would never be offended about any discussion about audio. I actually enjoy the banter and the counter point conversations and I am open-minded enough to try anything. I certainly don't need the affirmation of others to support what I do. You've missed the boat on that assessment.

Read your response. It appears that you are the one offended that somebody out there has a different opinion than you.

Keith

niels

« Reply #191 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:59 pm »
There are some very strange opinions here, but I guess we all have different ears, and equipment.
Stereophile used the SB3 wirelessly into a Krell dac and did not hear a difference between the SB3 digital out and a Krell Transport playing the same cd digital into the same dac.....
I have compared digital out of my Philips dvd 963SA dvd/cd/sacd player and SB3 digital out into the Bryston dac, and listening on Stax Signature II electrostatic headphones, and heard absolutely zero difference. This with the stock power supply.
I havent experimented with different power supplys because many people simply cant hear a clear difference, but anyone willing to test can just use a battery as a power supply, battery is supposed to be superiour to anything else anyway.

Sasha

« Reply #192 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:12 pm »
Keith,

I am glad you are not, I am not either, we are simply arguing and exchanging ideas and experience, that is all.
I spend a lot of time and $ on this, trying to get performance as good as the one I have from very good players,  and message I am trying to send is what my experience was with some of specific devices we are discussing.
If people have the same objectives as I do, build PC based digital source that will at least match top CD players and bring along the convenience of file system, then they should not waste time on SB3 and likes, been there, done that, not good by any measure.
If on the other hand you want background music, SB3 is good enough as almost anything else there.
Again, my point is that BDA-1 is very good piece, and you will not hear what it is capable of if it is fed from SB3 like sources.
I put my money where my mouth is, I sold my Wadia 581i SE and ordered BDA-1.
As soon as Bryston transport is released I believe I will buy it. For high resolution I will stick for now with my PC based solution feeding BDA-1.

KeithA

« Reply #193 on: 5 Jan 2009, 10:32 am »
Keith,

I am glad you are not, I am not either, we are simply arguing and exchanging ideas and experience, that is all.
I spend a lot of time and $ on this, trying to get performance as good as the one I have from very good players,  and message I am trying to send is what my experience was with some of specific devices we are discussing.
If people have the same objectives as I do, build PC based digital source that will at least match top CD players and bring along the convenience of file system, then they should not waste time on SB3 and likes, been there, done that, not good by any measure.
If on the other hand you want background music, SB3 is good enough as almost anything else there.
Again, my point is that BDA-1 is very good piece, and you will not hear what it is capable of if it is fed from SB3 like sources.
As soon as Bryston transport is released I believe I will buy it. For high resolution I will stick for now with my PC based solution feeding BDA-1.

Sasha

My intent is not to argue about anything. I respect that your audio goal is likely way ahead of most and that it is valid, but to represent the digital feed of a Duet into a BDA-1 as "...not good by any measure" and "...(if) you want background muisic, SB3 is as good enough as almost anything else", IMHO, is a bit of an injustice. I've tried this and still do it, others on the forum have tried it and reviewers such as UHF Mag, Stereophile and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity actually refer to it's useage in it's review of the BP-26DA. I'm not saying it's the best you can get, but I will contend that it is a good digital source with a lot of convenience. Can it be improved? Maybe? But your comments seem to imply that this setup is the equivalent of a table top radio for background music, which I think is just not correct. But again, no one is saying you are not hearing what you are hearing......it's just that many don't find the setup to be the embarrassment you allude to.

However, I wouldn't mind you explaining a part of your rationale to us, if you could.

You are claiming that the degradation on the digital signal from the Duet/SB3 is because of jitter. I believe Stereophile measured the jitter at 310 to 320ps, which I believe they even regard a low by audio standards. However, the BDA-1 reclocks the incoming signal, if I am correct, so that the residual jitter of the BDA-1 at about 115ps is really what we are talking about here. So, you are contending that the fact that the BDA-1 reclocks the incoming signal has no bearing on the jitter incoming from the Duet and the 320ps is what the DAC sees and impacts the audio quality of the D/A conversion? How does the jitter of the Duet's digital signal affect the D/A conversion if it is reclocked by the BDA-1?

Keith

NewBuyer

« Reply #194 on: 5 Jan 2009, 11:42 am »
Hi Sasha,

I too am very confused about how/why you are hearing such significant differences when you tried an SB3 as a digital source.  I have carefully tried it against other respected dedicated and PC-based transports (including the Lynx L22 and the Logitech Transporter etc) and several nice DACs, and the differences were not very significant at all - certainly nothing whatsoever like you are describing.  Personally I have found the SB3 to be a very acceptable digital source - there are also very many in the SlimDevices community with stunningly good audio setups, that agree with this as well (some rather reluctantly).

I have very good hearing, but your hearing could be better than mine.  Still I can't help but wonder if you may have experienced a difference due to an accidentally overlooked setting in the SqueezeCenter software instead?  Something like forgetting to turn off ReplayGain etc (which I'm sure you double-checked, I'm just giving an example) can make quite an audible difference, and nobody is perfect - little things like that can slip past the best of us sometimes! :)

The latest DAC I've tried such transport comparisons with is the Benchmark DAC1 PRE (which personally I also find to be an outstandingly good piece of equipment).  When Bryston starts making a DAC/Preamp unit that combines their volume controller with their DAC (as James as earlier considered in this forum), I will definitely be one of the first in line to buy one of those.  :drool:

Well I guess it's just hard to explain sometimes, why/how some people hear differences that some others do not hear.  For a few people, just simply knowing the SB3 is merely a $300 piece of equipment can influence their subjective listening impressions, especially if they have spent great sums of money on other very expensive equipment.  I'm not saying that applies to you, but instead just pointing out how many other lurking variables can potentially come into play when making sighted comparisons.

Well fortunately we don't have to explain it all, or even agree!  We can all just enjoy what we like.  To each his own, and good luck with your audio endeavors Sasha!  :D

denjo

« Reply #195 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:06 pm »
Wow, I think I need to have treatment to remove ear wax! We are dealing with some very widely differing views and I think it is more than just subjectivism that is in issue. If my SB3 (digital out to Paul Hynes' PSU) and excellent 118 digital cable to my Accuphase DAC or Bryston B100 SST DAC is making me very satisfied, one wonders how much better the sound/music would be with Sasha's recommendation of a Lynx card in one's pc! I took a look at Linn's line-up - very impressive indeed!

Well, in this hobby I have come to learn the hard way (by trial and error, mostly error) and have come to the conclusion that so long as one is happy and enjoying the music, that is all that matters! We climb mountains, only to find another peak ahead, and so on .... the climb to yet higher heights never ends but in practical terms I have learnt to draw my own line and say to myself that I can live with my system, no more quest for the highest peaks for me! I would rather spend my time now collecting CDs, vinyl, DVDs and simply sit back and enjoy the music!

Carpe Diem!Life is short!

Best Regards
Dennis

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #196 on: 5 Jan 2009, 01:11 pm »
Hi All,

One aspect I would like to point out is that an external DAC can 'reduce' jitter (on a percentage basis) coming from a source but it can not 'eliminate' it.

The higher the jitter coming from the source the higher it will be in the external DAC.

As to how much jitter it takes to negatively impose itself on the listener ... that's another question.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2009, 04:30 pm by James Tanner »

Sasha

« Reply #197 on: 5 Jan 2009, 01:46 pm »
Keith,

Sasha

My intent is not to argue about anything. I respect that your audio goal is likely way ahead of most and that it is valid, but to represent the digital feed of a Duet into a BDA-1 as "...not good by any measure" and "...(if) you want background muisic, SB3 is as good enough as almost anything else", IMHO, is a bit of an injustice. I've tried this and still do it, others on the forum have tried it and reviewers such as UHF Mag, Stereophile and Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity actually refer to it's useage in it's review of the BP-26DA. I'm not saying it's the best you can get, but I will contend that it is a good digital source with a lot of convenience. Can it be improved? Maybe? But your comments seem to imply that this setup is the equivalent of a table top radio for background music, which I think is just not correct. But again, no one is saying you are not hearing what you are hearing......it's just that many don't find the setup to be the embarrassment you allude to.

However, I wouldn't mind you explaining a part of your rationale to us, if you could.

You are claiming that the degradation on the digital signal from the Duet/SB3 is because of jitter. I believe Stereophile measured the jitter at 310 to 320ps, which I believe they even regard a low by audio standards. However, the BDA-1 reclocks the incoming signal, if I am correct, so that the residual jitter of the BDA-1 at about 115ps is really what we are talking about here. So, you are contending that the fact that the BDA-1 reclocks the incoming signal has no bearing on the jitter incoming from the Duet and the 320ps is what the DAC sees and impacts the audio quality of the D/A conversion? How does the jitter of the Duet's digital signal affect the D/A conversion if it is reclocked by the BDA-1?

Keith

Keith,

Published measurements I have seen for SB3 were approximately 400ps and 800ps for SPDIF and TosLink respectively.
BDA-1 is not the only DAC that upsamples incoming signal, if this renders DACs jitter immune no one would ever put any effort into making transports as good as possible to minimize jitter.
It is false assumption that upsampling, done in any way, makes jitter go away, you can never get rid of it.
I have tried many sources, and they always make a difference.
To demonstrate how much difference proper implementation makes, and why I consequently say that SB3 is simply not executed well enough, I had tried one the same Lynx card in two different PCs, feeding one the same DAC in the same system.
One PC was purposely built, completely fanless, all non essential HW disabled, OS footprint as small as possible, the other PC being used for multiple tasks. So the advantage of purposely built one was obviously in less RFI/RMI and cleaner power, what in theory was to result in Lynx producing less jitter.
The difference in sound that DAC produced when fed from 2 PCs was enormous. From dedicated PC transient speed was apparent, imaging was much better, from universal PC everything was soft and diffused.
Now, someone may even like such soft and diffused sound, jitter can be manifested in many ways.
It would not come as surprise to me that someone may prefer jittery digital source.
Again, my message is that SB3 is an entry type of digital source, mid-fi if you will, while BDA-1 is gear of far better execution.
Example of another not so good digital source:
Of course I will feed my TV terminal into BDA-1 and let BDA-1 do conversion, it will sound probably better then conversion done in TV terminal, but that will not mean in any way that TV terminal is good digital source.

Sasha

« Reply #198 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:02 pm »
Guys,
My ears are not golden, my hearing is not better than yours, and I am not the only one hearing the difference.
I can agree that SB3 is acceptable digital source, nothing more.
It is really simple, if you like SB3 then by all means be happy. I am simply answering questions asked on the forum, describing my experience and sharing information I have.
And price tag has no psychological effect on me, just read again what I sold to have BDA-1 in place of.
Dennis said it nicely, nothing more to add.

mdconnelly

« Reply #199 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:30 pm »
Interesting thread... Sasha, I'm curious if you've taken a look at the Logitech Transporter compared to the SB3?   Clearly SlimDevices, now Logitech, has been quite successful with it's SB3, Duet, Transporter and Boom.   But, is their approach to streaming music viable for what you refer to as hi-end?   How close is the Transporter to that?

I have to think that PC-based music streaming is still in it's infancy and am very hesitant to invest significant $$ just yet (although I have spent significant hours ripping & tagging CDs).  Without doubt, many of us are streaming hard-disk based music one way or another and that invariably entails the need for a good DAC.  Clearly the BDA-1 has set a new high-water mark.  Can't wait to see where Bryston takes it as a preamp with volume control and analog inputs.