Gonna buy a flat screen- HELP!

jimdgoulding

Gonna buy a flat screen- HELP!
« on: 26 Jul 2008, 11:25 pm »
I will appreciate your help.  I don't wanna spend more than 2k.  But, if a few hundred more will get me a perceptibly better picture, I can.  A 42" screen is preferable.  I'm told that 120Hz processing is making LCD smoother.  Visio has a new model out this month with this and 6500:1 contrast ratio (I don't know what the practical value of this or any number is).  I don't know what the refresh rate is at this moment but I understand this, too, is important to a smooth picture on LCD.  The higher the better, right?  Or, is it the other way around?  And does this actually translate visually in any appreciable amount (i.e. football games).  BTW, I don't care about vidio games.  It is a 1080P.  The price is right.  Visio has no snob appeal so I'll have to eat s___ from my brother in law.  He has a 42" KURO and it looks very good.  But is this a good TV or what?

I am not locked into LCD it is just that it seems more practical than plasma altho I know plasma as a rule has deeper blacks, less motion artifacts, better depth perception.  I'm hoping that the aformentioned developments have narrowed the gap.

Questions:   Do LCD sets do video processing (DVD's) as good or better than plasmas or is that manufacturer dependent?  On my analog set, I have a variable out.  I can use a couple of monoblocks I have to power my speakers and control the volume with the remote.  I really would like to be able to do this on my new set but is this going to be possible with modern sets? 

At my local Best Buy there is a discontinued Samsung 50" plasma-new-for $1799.00.  I could fit it in, I suppose.  That Visio is $1399.00.  I do watch a lot of DVDs.  I'm gonna get an OPPO.

I will appreciate your experience and take on the future.  Recommendations, too.  Thanks more than I can say.

Len_Dreyer

Re: Gonna buy a flat screen- HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 12:40 am »
Just throwing this into the mix because I saw the email ad today. Costco online has a 42" LCD 1080p item on sale for $800.00. Don't know anything about the unit but the price is stunning. Good luck with you search.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008, 12:53 am »
I was at CompUSA today and they had some Hitachi 50" HD LCD 1080's on sale for $1200 & $1100.  Can't recall if there were the "i" or "p" though.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:00 am »
Id take the plasma even now

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:28 am »
Re: Recommend a 37" to 42" LCD Flat Panel for <$1500
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:43:46 pm » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think have found the answer on warranty repair and it's a doozy. If it breaks toss it out.

http://hdguru.com/your-new-disposable-flat-panel-hdtv/107/#comment-21938

While it's different budget you may want to check out the above thread in this circle. The link is particularly interesting regarding service & support.

At the moment all LCDs are 'p', while HD broadcasts are 'i' as I understand it, but read somewhere here-in that that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Consider your viewing location with regards to screen type. While I guess there are plasmas out there that come with non-reflective screens, I don't think most do. At least all I've seen at Costco & Sams aren't. While all LCDs I've seen & the two I have are. If reflections are a consideration the LCD may be better.

I have a 'little' 32" Vizio, so far (maybe 4 months) it's been fine, 720p. I also have a 37" JVC I got last fall that is 1080p, and it does have somewhat better definition. Both have audio outs, not sure on the variable. The Vizio runs to my old Yamaha Surround Recv'r & out, volume controlled from it.

I think the last time I looked at a 42" JVC LCD at Sam's it was $1999, down from $2999 a year ago. Prices keep dropping and the technology keeps improving. Good shopping & good viewing -

GHM

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:56 am »
Well first as you know you have a huge selection of flat panels to choose from..may the force be with you! :D

If you watch a lot of live sports, the 120HZ refresh rate could translate into a little smoother picture. It really isn't the end all be all that it is made up to be though.

If you go plasma look hard at the 52 inch Panasonic from Circuit City $1699. You should be able to get it at the other big box stores for the same price..they will price match. The Vizio's are OK, but as you've heard the video processing in these sets do make a difference. Vizio's are near the bottom of the pile.

Another line too look at is the Sony Bravia's. The XBR models are nice but a little over priced. Check out the S and W models. The W models have the 120 Hz refresh rate... Looking at both I have a tough time seeing a major difference on either.

You can get a very nice panel under 2 grand these days! Go large as you can..trust me. A 42 may seem big, but once you get it home you'll wish you'd went larger. Especially if you mount it on the wall.
Samsung LCDs and Plasmas are both very nice. Contrast ratios are 10,000 or better on these sets.
Good deal on Sharps right now as well! Over looked but their video processing is near the top of the class. All of these panels come too life once you calibrate them.

The Oppo will get you by, but a Blu ray player should be in your future to get the best out of any 1080P television. Refresh rates are meaningless on these materials ...DVD, Blu ray etc. It falls more on the unit doing the disc spinning than the TV itself in these situations. Same thing with recorded television..you'll see no real lag if any from an LCD.

I would get a unit that does Blu ray and upsamples regular DVDs.

Most of the tier 1 sets have analog outs... So no problem.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:05 am »
LCD and Plasma, they each has its virtues.  Plasma has better colors perhaps, but it uses 20% more power.  The next generation of LCDs should close the gap, so they say.  Here's the link where you can sign up for deal alerts.  They supposedly canvass many deals and quote you the best......  All you need is sign up.

http://dealnews.com/mydealnews/

42" plasma should cost you less than $1K.  Supposedly, Panasonic is the preferred by many, if not the best.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:19 am »
I don't know if you want to go as big as a 46" set but Costco has a 46" Samsung for $1699 that will be $200 less for a week starting on Monday. And Costco gives you a 2 year warranty.

There's a long thread about it on AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1027050&page=1

If you want the "best quality" LCD get a Sony Bravia Z series. Details on the Sony line can be found here:

http://www.hdtvlounge.net/sony/2008-hdtv-lineup/

You should be able to get a 40" Bravia Z for under $2k.

Pioneer Kuro's are high quality but pricey. For something that comes close to the Kuro but at a much lower price get a Panasonic plasma.

A friend in the business recommends either high end Sony or the Panasonic pro series plasma monitors. He claims the picture quality is a bit better than the consumer Panasonic models. The Panasonic pro series comes with neither a OTA tuner nor speakers. If you use a digital cable box you may not care. You can add a plug in amplifier card and speaker that attach to the side of the set as desired.

Lastly for a comparison between the Kuro and a high end Samsung read:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/779/plasma-vs-lcd-round-ii.html

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:03 am »
I don't think bigger is better. My in-laws went with a 50" and they sit too close and it is blurry that close. Big can be too big. Most broadcasts on a 50 look like dog s**t.

GHM

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:47 am »
I don't think bigger is better. My in-laws went with a 50" and they sit too close and it is blurry that close. Big can be too big. Most broadcasts on a 50 look like dog s**t.

Blurry? :o What kind of 50 inch do they have and what is the signal feeding it? Any LCD or plasma is going to look terrible with a bad signal. I've never seen 1080p or 720p look blurry. :D

In the right settings, you can be 10 feet from a 50 plus inch flat panel and it will not be blurry. Sounds like your in laws bought a crap TV or crap signal to feed it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2008, 09:04 am »

Blurry? :o What kind of 50 inch do they have and what is the signal feeding it? Any LCD or plasma is going to look terrible with a bad signal. I've never seen 1080p or 720p look blurry. :D

In the right settings, you can be 10 feet from a 50 plus inch flat panel and it will not be blurry. Sounds like your in laws bought a crap TV or crap signal to feed it.

Not every TV signal out there is the quality of Blu-Ray. I know exactly what PMAT is saying as there is crappy cable, OTA, and standard digital channels available that will give you an undesirable picture, even on my 36" CRT w/DirecTv and it only gets worse as the set gets larger. The quality of available signal on the channels/source that you'll be watching should play a large part in what type of set is being purchased imo. :D

Cheers,
Robin

giantsteps

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:57 pm »

If you want the best image you must pay. Pioneer Kuro. Period.
 I'm watching one as I write. :green:

Frank

GHM

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2008, 03:25 pm »

Not every TV signal out there is the quality of Blu-Ray. I know exactly what PMAT is saying as there is crappy cable, OTA, and standard digital channels available that will give you an undesirable picture, even on my 36" CRT w/DirecTv and it only gets worse as the set gets larger. The quality of available signal on the channels/source that you'll be watching should play a large part in what type of set is being purchased imo. :D

Cheers,
Robin

Yeah Robin I think you missed my point....judging a panel by its size isn't the answer. No doubt some signal is garbage..I would still buy the TV size that I want..there's plenty of choices for incoming signal to be used on it. I've been in several homes with LCD projectors installed to display on 100 plus inch screens...not one of them was blurry. The theater chairs were all set up with in 12 to 15 feet of the screens. I once believed you could go too large(maybe so with the old rear projection big screens...not really relevant with panels today with in reason.

As for Pioneer Kuro..very nice! Last time I looked at one , there wasn't anything about them that blew me away. That was in a sun filled room though. I'm sure the picture is better in a dark theater type setting. In a sun filled room.. I'll take the LCD every time. aa

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:03 pm »
But, if a few hundred more will get me a perceptibly better picture, I can. 

Then spend the money, because this is one area where a few hundred more can make a noticeable difference.

A 42" screen is preferable.

How did you settle on 42"? Generally screen size is best determined by how far away you'll be sitting. Of course, if 42" is the biggest that will fit then that's your limit.

I'm told that 120Hz processing is making LCD smoother.Visio has a new model out this month with this and 6500:1 contrast ratio (I don't know what the practical value of this or any number is).  I don't know what the refresh rate is at this moment but I understand this, too, is important to a smooth picture on LCD.  The higher the better, right?  Or, is it the other way around?  And does this actually translate visually in any appreciable amount (i.e. football games).  BTW, I don't care about vidio games.  It is a 1080P.  The price is right.  Visio has no snob appeal so I'll have to eat s___ from my brother in law.  He has a 42" KURO and it looks very good.  But is this a good TV or what?

This goes back to how much you're willing to spend. There really is a noticeable difference between the top manufacturers (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc.) and the low cost companies (Vizio, Olieva, Element, etc.) WRT to LCD 120 Hz refresh rates, Samsung seems to have done a much better job implementing this than anyone else so far.

I am not locked into LCD it is just that it seems more practical than plasma altho I know plasma as a rule has deeper blacks, less motion artifacts, better depth perception.  I'm hoping that the aformentioned developments have narrowed the gap.

Why would LCD be more "practical" than plasma? Both have their pros and cons, but frankly, every shoot-out to date has shown plasma with the better performance. Only the top of the line Samsung LCD came close to plasma is the most recent shoot-out. And it was beaten not only by the Pioneer Kuro, but also by the Panasonic plasma.

If I were buying a main TV 42" or larger, I would start with plasma and only consider LCD if I had lighting issues.

Questions: Do LCD sets do video processing (DVD's) as good or better than plasmas or is that manufacturer dependent?

Manufacturer dependent.

On my analog set, I have a variable out.  I can use a couple of monoblocks I have to power my speakers and control the volume with the remote.  I really would like to be able to do this on my new set but is this going to be possible with modern sets?

If it has a variable output, probably. Some do, some don't. But what are your signal sources? A cable or satellite box will have digital audio outputs that you can run to your HT receiver or processor, as would a DVD player. Why use the TV analog outputs to drive the amps directly?

At my local Best Buy there is a discontinued Samsung 50" plasma-new-for $1799.00.  I could fit it in, I suppose.  That Visio is $1399.00.  I do watch a lot of DVDs.  I'm gonna get an OPPO.

If you can afford the Samsung and 50" fits your viewing distance, it will be a much better display than the Vizio.

I will appreciate your experience and take on the future.  Recommendations, too.  Thanks more than I can say.

My experience is CRT. I still have my 53" Pioneer SD533-HD5 CRT based RPTV and I have no plans to replace it yet. IMO, CRT still beats every digital dusplay, although I admit the gap is almost gone now.

As for the future, LCD and plasma will both disappear, and not too long from now. I'd be very surprised if either is still on the market in 10 years and it will probably be less. The future is likely to be OLED, laser TV or some other technology, possibly one we haven't even seen yet.

As always, IMO, YMMV, etc.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:03 pm »
Dan, all-  42" will fit the space available better.  Viewing at approx 8'. 

LCD alledgedly uses less energy and will last longer.  Anybody?

My amps drive the speakers direct.  No preamp available.  Hence, I need to be able to control the volume from my remote.  Will analog out permit me to do this or must I have a variable out?

I read that shoot out between the Samsung LCD and the Kuro.  Both are pretty expensive so I have ruled them out.  The Visio is less expensive by a long shot.  American made, too, I think.  But, I don't wish to compromise the picture versus a competitive make.  And, yes, there is quite a lot of light in my viewing room.  A lamp stays on between two chairs directly in front of my set.  My wife reads a lot.   

The OPPO upsamples, no?  I've read only good things about this unit.  Is it terribly short of Blu Ray?  Will it do the best or near best with my existing DVD collection?  Only one was filmed in high definition- Collateral (Michael Mann)- and the picture is drop dead gorgeous even on my analog TV.

Thanks, everyone.  Kindly re-visit me if you have something to add.  Cheers. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:28 pm »
This is slightly larger, and slightly more $ than you have specified, but it is a great deal on a great television:

http://www.broadwayphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=3668498

Enjoy your new set, whatever it may be,

Jerry

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:50 pm »
I have a 42 in.Hitachi,for well over a yr,very happy with it,screen really isnt very reflective if thats important,as far as i can tell if ultimate picture quality is what you want i feel plasma still scores higher.At the time I think Hitachi still made their own glass so i thought that was advantage but if it is i dont know,greens can be a bit bright if i had to be picky ,and i mean just a very little bit,and half of that probably depends on the signal i get,who knows.Even Sony is starting to farm out stuff.Panasonics are supposed to be good also,Samsung no idea. The glass on mine wipes clean very easy with a 3m micro cloth and doesnt collect excessive dust at all.I think the glass on plasma takes on cleaning or wiping  better then a lcd screen which needs to be considered.

GHM

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:22 pm »
Dan, all-  42" will fit the space available better.  Viewing at approx 8'. 

LCD alledgedly uses less energy and will last longer.  Anybody?

My amps drive the speakers direct.  No preamp available.  Hence, I need to be able to control the volume from my remote.  Will analog out permit me to do this or must I have a variable out?

I read that shoot out between the Samsung LCD and the Kuro.  Both are pretty expensive so I have ruled them out.  The Visio is less expensive by a long shot.  American made, too, I think.  But, I don't wish to compromise the picture versus a competitive make.  And, yes, there is quite a lot of light in my viewing room.  A lamp stays on between two chairs directly in front of my set.  My wife reads a lot.   

The OPPO upsamples, no?  I've read only good things about this unit.  Is it terribly short of Blu Ray?  Will it do the best or near best with my existing DVD collection?  Only one was filmed in high definition- Collateral (Michael Mann)- and the picture is drop dead gorgeous even on my analog TV.

Thanks, everyone.  Kindly re-visit me if you have something to add.  Cheers. 

Verdicts out on which will last longer..I don't think anyone truly knows that answer.

Sounds like a 42 will fit you well then. The Oppos do great upsampling..just not Blu ray..not even close in picture quality. Maybe Oppo will release a Blu ray player..that should make buying an all in one much simpler. I'm sure they'll throw in the upsampling as well.
From your description..an LCD would be the better choice.
  If not you'll have that lamp shining back at you from the screen... very annoying. And yes a LCD is more efficient.

Bottom line whatever panel you buy...spend some time calibrating it and put the best sources with it you can afford. The source will make a difference in what you see in the end.

Most of the panels mention have speaker audio outputs. These are basically variable outs. So yes you should be able to control the volume through the set.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2008, 06:37 pm »
For the best player get a Sony PS3. It does Blu-ray and has great upconversion for standard DVDs and you should be able to use it as a music server and to listen to internet radio as well. They just started online video downloads as well.

According to some its upconversion is better than a $3K stand alone box.

Vizio is a US company but their sets are made in China.

And lastly the Samsung referred to in the article is $2100 shipped from buy.com.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:19 pm »
Wow, JerryM . . that's abunch of a television!  Good price, indeed,  Think that might be refurbished?