Gonna buy a flat screen- HELP!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Gonna buy a flat screen- HELP!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:44 pm »
Jim,

Not a chance. These guys are the real deal; where their sheer volume of sales equal this type of savings for us. I'm not associated with them in any way, other than that of incredibly pleased customer. Even if the set I posted is not your cup of tea, browse their site. Unbelievable deals.

Try printing this page and walking it in to your nearby TV Monger. Explain you are aware of their great customer satisfaction policy and are requesting a price match, to 'keep your money in the local economy'. It'll be a tough match, but you might save the shipping if you're dealing with a good Manager.

In any case, what a fun thing to be looking for!!!   :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

tvyankee

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:45 pm »
hey

just buy a panasonic z800 series and be done with it. they really are the best for money.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-50pz800u/4505-6482_7-32886472.html?tag=tpr

i just installed three the other day and they are freaking really good.

good luck.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2008, 04:06 pm »
Dan, all-  42" will fit the space available better.  Viewing at approx 8'.

42" is a good size from 8', the 50" might be a little too big.

LCD alledgedly uses less energy and will last longer.  Anybody?

Not allegedly, a typical LCD uses about 20% less power per hour than a plasma. However, both are less than a CRT based display.

LCD might last a little longer, but it really is a moot point. The lifetime of both is typically in the range of 40,000 to 60,000 hours of usage. 40K hours is over 4.5 years of continuous operation, never turning the display off. In real usage, that's well over 10 years. In truth, you'll almost certainly replace the TV well before it dies of old age, whether it is plasma or LCD.

I read that shoot out between the Samsung LCD and the Kuro.  Both are pretty expensive so I have ruled them out.

The Panasonic plasma came in second in the shoot-out and is less expensive than the Samsung and the Kuro.

The Visio is less expensive by a long shot.  American made, too, I think. But, I don't wish to compromise the picture versus a competitive make.

The Visio may be less expensive, but the picture quality is not nearly as good. This is one of those cases where you really do get what you pay for.

Visio is assembled in the US, but all of the components are made in Asia.

And, yes, there is quite a lot of light in my viewing room.  A lamp stays on between two chairs directly in front of my set.  My wife reads a lot.

In that case, LCD is probably a better option for you. If the Samsung is too expensive, Sony, Toshiba and some other companies make good LCD/LCoS displays.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2008, 06:01 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I'm all over the net lookin for deals.  Almost pressed the buy now button at Costco for the new 46" Samsung LCD ($1699 with no tax or shipping charge) until I learned it has one of the most reflective screens of the lot.   And I didn't even know about price matching before now.  The plasma Panasonic THX looks tempting.  And that's great news for me about audio out.  Thanks for the DVD player info, too.  I knew you guys would come thru. 

Doublej

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:56 am »
Not so sure about that:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/digital%20camera/forum?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2YR3CD9165C4&cdThread=Tx2V27G6RWYQFGX

Jim,

Not a chance. These guys are the real deal; where their sheer volume of sales equal this type of savings for us. I'm not associated with them in any way, other than that of incredibly pleased customer. Even if the set I posted is not your cup of tea, browse their site. Unbelievable deals.

Try printing this page and walking it in to your nearby TV Monger. Explain you are aware of their great customer satisfaction policy and are requesting a price match, to 'keep your money in the local economy'. It'll be a tough match, but you might save the shipping if you're dealing with a good Manager.

In any case, what a fun thing to be looking for!!!   :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2008, 02:22 am »
Heard that!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:03 am »
Not so sure about that:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/digital%20camera/forum?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2YR3CD9165C4&cdThread=Tx2V27G6RWYQFGX

[/quote]

I read all of the same things before I ever bought my television from these folks. Fortunately, we're talking TV's here, not camera's.  :thumb:

Three of my closest friends have followed suit. Aside from the typical hard sale for an extended warranty, no issues whatsoever. Each set has all English writing on the plastic covers, full English warnings on the box, and all of the typical bar codes where they belong. Hardly a made-for-other-than-US-distribution-product. The warranty registration with Sony was a snap. Not one single issue whatsoever.

My more knowledgeable buddy, who saved a few bucks on shipping, walked in to a local electronics store and did the price match thing for the same set. That's why I brought that scheme up. Why don't I think of things like that?   :duh:

In any case, my post was that of a perfectly happy and satisfied customer, purchasing the identical product I posted. YMMV.

Have fun,
Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2008, 03:06 am »
Jerome-  I'm gonna do what your knowledgeable buddy did.  Thanks for bringing it up!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2008, 01:17 pm »
Fellas-  Hi.  I have found the model TV that I think will rock my world.  But, I have one question that I hope you guys can help me with.  It's a Model 6 series 46" Samsung LCD.  It has 120Hz processing, 4rms, and LED instead of backlighting.  I found this price of $1709.18 at Abe's of Maine and intend on seeing if my local Best Buy will match it.  On the specs sheet it does not say if it has an analog out.  It says it has component out and composite (A/V) out.  As explained above, I want to output directly to two mono amps to drive a pair of standmount speakers and be able to control the volume from the remote just like I am able to do presently.   Does that sound like it is doable from the specs provided?  Hope to get this up in time for the Olympics.  Wouldn't that be a gas!  But if I can't control the volume of the speakers in the manner described, I may be SOL.  Thank you for your information.  Any and all.

Oh, and you've have said that I should have a new hi def TV professionally calibrated.  I have an A/V dealer in Houston called Audio Concepts.  Is that what you mean by 'professionally'?  Are the young fellows of Geek Squad to be trusted for this?

(later)  I think I'm good on the output question.  Sam at Sung says there is an audio out on the back of the TV.   
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2008, 06:03 pm by jimdgoulding »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2008, 02:00 am »

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=206154 ($1839.99 @ Circuit City)

This model does have RCA stereo audio outlets along with an optical out and here's the picture to prove it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2008, 11:21 am »
Hi, again.  I've found a 46" Panasonic 85U in my own neck of the woods for $1500 and some change.  CNET rated this model poorly but rated the 800U series highly primarily from what I could tell because ot it's preset THX picture setting.  If I were to have the 85U professionally calibrated does anyone think I could get in the ballpark with the THX feature on the 800?  Oh, and thanks, Robin, for the above.  That was large and I appreciate it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2008, 03:37 am »
Heck with it.  I'm buyin a 50" Panasonic 800U.  There is one 46" in the entire state and it's no cheaper than the 50".  No deals to speak of online, either.  It's too new and they're too proud.  But, geez, that's lot of beer money!  Thanks, ya'll.  Circuit City has the best deal I can find.

GHM

« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2008, 04:38 pm »
Heck with it.  I'm buyin a 50" Panasonic 800U.  There is one 46" in the entire state and it's no cheaper than the 50".  No deals to speak of online, either.  It's too new and they're too proud.  But, geez, that's lot of beer money!  Thanks, ya'll.  Circuit City has the best deal I can find.

You'll enjoy it...Have fun! You'll be glad you went up in size. :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2008, 07:08 pm »
In preparation for gettin a new TV, I just watched Michael Mann's Collateral on DVD.  Chose that cause the picture is suberb even on my analog set and I wanted it fresh in my memory as this is the first movie I plan on watching for comparison once my new set is setup.  The most beautiful video to watch in my collection and must be beautiful by anybody's standards.  The soundtrack caught my attention several times.  MM has his shit together in that department, too.  I guess it was his idea to use Lisa Gerrard for The Insider.  The Insider is a great movie, IMO, his best for me and the music is a marvel.  Love Massive Attack's Safe From Harm at the movie's end.  Here's a little did-ya-know tip.  Gustavo Santaolalla's Iguaza theme for which he won the Best Music Oscar was first heard in The Insider some five years earlier.  I didn't read that any place.  I saw the movie and bought the soundtrack.

tizeye

« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm »
I was at CompUSA today and they had some Hitachi 50" HD LCD 1080's on sale for $1200 & $1100.

Be VERY careful with CompUSA.  Their return policy borders on draconian.  Their in-store is different from their on-line so you have to go in the store to actually read it and it goes into more detail than the "Terms and Conditions"  online which limits returns to defective ONLY during the first 30 days.  Defective is determined by CUSA or the manufacturer, not the consumer, and appears limited to an exchange, not refund.  As I recall, the instore went further to include "no returns" for specified manufacturers, such as HP, "due to the special pricing arrangements with the manufaturer."  I forget what they said about TVs.

All I am saying is, before you buy - ask for and read their return policy.  Make an informed decision. Yes, I still buy things at CUSA, but it is limited to the relatively inexpensive and disposable items.  For major purchases there are too many other "consumer friendly" merchants - even those that have a restocking charge.  These include, Circuit City, Best Buy, Sears, Sams, local/regional stores like Tweeters, online - Crutchfield and others, and the one with the most liberal policy, Costco.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2008, 01:45 pm »
I recently purchased a SamSung LCD TV for my sister.  It was the LN40A750 model which has fabulous pictures.  I ordered it from BuyDig.com and it came within 2 days to Washington DC.  They had the best legitimate price with free shipping. I have had good experience with them.  They don't e-mail back asking you to call back so that they can either sell you extended service plan or the item disappears from stock.  I would think the 46" version of this TV would be great.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 10 Sep 2008, 12:51 am »
Thanks, Woodsyi.  The 6 and 7 series Samsung is bad ass.  I pulled the trigger on a 50" 800U Panasonic.  Due here Saturday.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2008, 10:26 pm »
Just hooked the bad boy up.  I've a lot to learn.  The volume control on the TV remote won't control my speakers.  I had to turn them off cause they are at one volume . . LOUD!  There was a variable out on my analog set that controlled the whole shebang but analog out doesn't seem to give me the option of controlling the volume on the speakers just the set.  Remember I don't use a processor.  Just monoblocks direct to my speakers.  Just looked at the end of Close Encounters.  So much more film looking that my previous set and the tone to the color!!  Not used to that.  This is my first HDTV.   
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm by jimdgoulding »

djbnh

« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:26 am »
Received a 42" LG50 as a wedding gift. Anyone out there own one of these / can comment from their personal experiences?

ctviggen

« Reply #39 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:07 pm »
I recently purchased a SamSung LCD TV for my sister.  It was the LN40A750 model which has fabulous pictures.  I ordered it from BuyDig.com and it came within 2 days to Washington DC.  They had the best legitimate price with free shipping. I have had good experience with them.  They don't e-mail back asking you to call back so that they can either sell you extended service plan or the item disappears from stock.  I would think the 46" version of this TV would be great.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV and to be honest, I'm not sure about it.  Perhaps fiddling with the controls might make a better picture, but I haven't had time to do that.  The problem I have with the set is that the blacks aren't black enough in certain situations.  (This could also be the DVD player's problem, an Oppo.)  This set will play some thing against a black background, and that "thing" will remain on the screen for a certain period of time.  It's sort of like ghosting, although the ghost image stays on after the real image has gone.  Once I saw this, it's incredibly annoying.