"The Dark Knight"

rydenfan

Re: "The Dark Knight"
« Reply #120 on: 12 Sep 2008, 03:23 pm »
And how do you possibly top The Dark Knight????

By adding Johnny Depp and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Riddler and The Penguin in the next Nolan installment    :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: 

http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=10841

viggen

« Reply #121 on: 12 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
I saw the movie quite awhile ago but just found this thread.

Spoiler alert:

I think the scenes regarding the boat or how the mobs were so willing to follow a maniac, for example, are really the writer/director's comment on modern society.  But, since this is not a political forum, I will stop here.

And, I found it most unbelievable that the HK guy would let Morgan Freeman waltz out of this building after Morgan was discovered to have a cell phone on him.  If I were the HK guy, I would have locked Morgan up, searched his every orifice, body cavity and clothing, MRI and Xray him twice and beat him up a few times for breaking "house rules".  And, I would have watched every surveilance tape I have on him vegas style.

That said, Bale is the best Batman and Ledger is the best Joker.  The Harry->Two Face bit was a lil unconvincing.  But, I think the point of the movie is there is thin line between extreme good and evil just like there's thin line between order and chaos.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #122 on: 13 Sep 2008, 01:27 am »
I saw the movie quite awhile ago but just found this thread.

Spoiler alert:

I think the scenes regarding the boat or how the mobs were so willing to follow a maniac, for example, are really the writer/director's comment on modern society.  But, since this is not a political forum, I will stop here.

And, I found it most unbelievable that the HK guy would let Morgan Freeman waltz out of this building after Morgan was discovered to have a cell phone on him.  If I were the HK guy, I would have locked Morgan up, searched his every orifice, body cavity and clothing, MRI and Xray him twice and beat him up a few times for breaking "house rules".  And, I would have watched every surveilance tape I have on him vegas style.

That said, Bale is the best Batman and Ledger is the best Joker.  The Harry->Two Face bit was a lil unconvincing.  But, I think the point of the movie is there is thin line between extreme good and evil just like there's thin line between order and chaos.

You lost me there,,,, I don't understand how you can spin a political angle of that boat scene? :scratch: I look at it as it being a common goodness in most people, even criminals whereas the Joker was preying on that little evil in all of us. 8)

But I do agree with your opinion on Bale & Ledger superiority in their roles. Ledger will be a hard act to follow from whoever and Bale excells both as Batman and Bruce Wayne. I think it's that thin line of good/evil angle that makes this series of Batman better than it's predecessors. In fact, I'd like to see a 4 hour Batman movie with a 15 minute intermission for wiz break. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #123 on: 13 Sep 2008, 02:42 am »
I liked the movie but did not love it.  The problem I have is that there's never any real temptation for Batman to go to the dark side, and hence no real drama.  Now, if there had been someone in Batman's past that he's accidentally (or not) killed, then the Joker would be a much greater threat to the psyche of Batman.  In the absence of that, there were some interesting parts but for the most part if fell flat for me.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #124 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:16 am »

tropic thunder should be doing better?  you're kidding, right?  what a total waste of time.  even my thirteen year old son thought it was totally stupid & unfunny...

doug s.
[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks, I and many I shared it with loved it or liked it.  Again you kinda have to get the war, 70's black man etc... parodies, if not then...  As for the youngsters: If they've never seen the war movies that are being referenced like "Apocalypse Now", "Rambo" etc..., and don't have the frame of reference to see what Downey and the cast are doing, the irony of the cameo character against their true life personality then of course the vast majority of the movie practically has no basis and zooms right over ones head.  But if one has this knowledge or perspective there is no way this movie is not amusing.

But again not everybody has the same sense of humor. Thank goodness I married a women who shares mine, when we saw it my wife was laughing so hard in a spot or two she said her chest hurt.  But my wife knows funny and when something grabs her she really enjoys the joke, I love that about her.  So if you see this movie with you lady friend and she's not enjoying herself, you maybe made a bad choice for a fun lady friend (good luck with that) or maybe you should've suffered through "Mamma Mia."

Ed Schilling

« Reply #125 on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:25 pm »
Launche,
Wife and and are with you 100%. If you "got it" it (Tropic Thunder) was crazy funny, or so we thought. We could have done without the one Jack Black scene in which he was tied to the tree for "drying out", I think you know what I mean, his "offer" to gain his freedom was a little too much.
Ed

Wind Chaser

« Reply #126 on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:35 pm »
I liked the movie but did not love it.  The problem I have is that there's never any real temptation for Batman to go to the dark side, and hence no real drama.  Now, if there had been someone in Batman's past that he's accidentally (or not) killed, then the Joker would be a much greater threat to the psyche of Batman.  In the absence of that, there were some interesting parts but for the most part if fell flat for me.

I didn't like or love it, but that's a perfect review.  Apart from a few amusing moments, it did indeed fall flat.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #127 on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:35 pm »

Launche,
Wife and and are with you 100%. If you "got it" it (Tropic Thunder) was crazy funny, or so we thought. We could have done without the one Jack Black scene in which he was tied to the tree for "drying out", I think you know what I mean, his "offer" to gain his freedom was a little too much.
Ed

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I walked out after 15 minutes and watched Babylon A.D. instead. It was the 1st movie this year that I have walked out on but I will give it another chance when it comes out on DVD this winter. :D

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #128 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:34 pm »
Launche,
Ed
i "got it", as i am familiar w/the other serious 'nam movies.  there were a few isolated laughs, for sure, but i still think, as a whole, the movie was pretty mediocre.  i dint mind the jack black drying out scene as much as the scene where the director stepped on an old land mine.  and, that scene was yust way too implausible for the movie to make sense from that point...

doug s.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #129 on: 15 Sep 2008, 03:31 am »

Launche,
Ed

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I walked out after 15 minutes and watched Babylon A.D. instead. It was the 1st movie this year that I have walked out on but I will give it another chance when it comes out on DVD this winter. :D

Cheers,
Robin

That's a first, haven't heard of anyone walking out but again everyone's sense of humor is different.  There were many scenes, even subtle ones that still stick out in my mind.  I got bribed to see it two more times and I still laughed as well as the vast majority of the theater.  But I would look around at times and see some people just stone faced, so...  If one is to come to a comedy show or a comedy movie etc... come with a pleasent attitude with  desire to laugh.  I never understand people who come to a comedy show with a chip on their shoulder, so serious, lighten up.  Laughter is a true pleasure, enjoy it.  Have a drink or two if one needs some assistance.  Now Pineanpple Express, I tried but couldn't muster much laughs for that one, yeah I think I may have wanted to leave early too, So I can understand where you're coming from Robin (But the first 15 of thunder were funny to me, maybe I'm just simple, jack.)  Sorry couldn't help myself, did you make it that far Robin? 

I went to see "Traitor", again I like to look around at the audience, some people looked truly terrified at times and I wasn't sure if it was the movie, reality of the movie or what,  but I got scared just thinking of what might be running through their minds and what they might do with that fear or uncertainty.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #130 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:07 am »

Launche,
Ed

Cheers,
Robin

That's a first, haven't heard of anyone walking out but again everyone's sense of humor is different.  There were many scenes, even subtle ones that still stick out in my mind.  I got bribed to see it two more times and I still laughed as well as the vast majority of the theater.  But I would look around at times and see some people just stone faced, so...  If one is to come to a comedy show or a comedy movie etc... come with a pleasent attitude with  desire to laugh.  I never understand people who come to a comedy show with a chip on their shoulder, so serious, lighten up.  Laughter is a true pleasure, enjoy it.  Have a drink or two if one needs some assistance.  Now Pineanpple Express, I tried but couldn't muster much laughs for that one, yeah I think I may have wanted to leave early too, So I can understand where you're coming from Robin (But the first 15 of thunder were funny to me, maybe I'm just simple, jack.)  Sorry couldn't help myself, did you make it that far Robin? 

I went to see "Traitor", again I like to look around at the audience, some people looked truly terrified at times and I wasn't sure if it was the movie, reality of the movie or what,  but I got scared just thinking of what might be running through their minds and what they might do with that fear or uncertainty.

I do comedy Launche but action works for me much better. That's why The Dark Knight was so entertaining for me and it left me sitting on my fingernails for the next installment. :hyper: And walking out after just 15 minutes of Tropic Thunder was basically cuz not only was I not liking what I was watching but because I knew Babylon A.D. was chucked just full of action. But even the action didn't help the storyline of that movie which left me empty.  :roll: I will be giving Tropc Thunder another look come DVD time. I don't drink anymore tho (7 years now for the most part) so it'll have to stand up on it's own merits. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

viggen

« Reply #131 on: 15 Sep 2008, 05:51 am »
You lost me there,,,, I don't understand how you can spin a political angle of that boat scene? :scratch: I look at it as it being a common goodness in most people, even criminals whereas the Joker was preying on that little evil in all of us. 8)

Cheers,
Robin

Hey Robin: I guess I just connected a few things that I don't know whether the director intended the viewer to do so.  Like when the Morgan Freeman character claimed the cellular surveillance technology is too much power for one person to possess and will resign if Bruce were to keep that technology.  I think the director there was making a statement on the one versus society.  And, from there, I saw the boat scene as a test of humanities resistance to or acceptance of pre-emptive strike and whether the many can be manipulated by the few a la Animal Farm.  Further, the director probably wanted us to not judge people based on class or color; hence, he had the a convict "of color" as the protagonist of that little boat allegory.  So, to me, based on those vignettes, this Batman movie is sort of the director's commentary on all of us from our psychological to sociological to political make up.  Very sneaky of the director yet powerful.

PhilNYC

« Reply #132 on: 15 Sep 2008, 02:01 pm »
And, from there, I saw the boat scene as a test of humanities resistance to or acceptance of pre-emptive strike and whether the many can be manipulated by the few a la Animal Farm.  Further, the director probably wanted us to not judge people based on class or color; hence, he had the a convict "of color" as the protagonist of that little boat allegory.  So, to me, based on those vignettes, this Batman movie is sort of the director's commentary on all of us from our psychological to sociological to political make up.  Very sneaky of the director yet powerful.

See, my problem with that scene was that I thought there was nothing "sneaky" about it...that it was a blatant and manipulative scene that felt almost cliche ("cliche" might not be the right word here).  It was the same problem I had with the movie "Crash"...where all the scenarios had very simplistic and obvious ironies; almost like a free brochure/pamphlet describing what "prejudice" is...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #133 on: 12 Dec 2008, 05:07 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Hey Robin: I guess I just connected a few things that I don't know whether the director intended the viewer to do so.  Like when the Morgan Freeman character claimed the cellular surveillance technology is too much power for one person to possess and will resign if Bruce were to keep that technology.  I think the director there was making a statement on the one versus society.  And, from there, I saw the boat scene as a test of humanities resistance to or acceptance of pre-emptive strike and whether the many can be manipulated by the few a la Animal Farm.  Further, the director probably wanted us to not judge people based on class or color; hence, he had the a convict "of color" as the protagonist of that little boat allegory.  So, to me, based on those vignettes, this Batman movie is sort of the director's commentary on all of us from our psychological to sociological to political make up.  Very sneaky of the director yet powerful.
Good call, IMO.  Just released on DVD which I saw for the first time last night.  There is a lot about this movie to respect.  The performances, editing, special effects. etc.  Now, I'm determined to see Maggie G in Sherry, Baby.  This is probably one of the most expensivie flicks ever to make.  Enough wiz-bang for the ages.  But, there is not enough to LIKE in my case.  Anyone care to buy this watched one time from me?  Seven bucks plus shipping?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #134 on: 13 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm »
Anyone care to buy this watched one time from me?  Seven bucks plus shipping?
Yip, sure will Jim.  :thumb: Shoot me your Paypal address.

Bob

p.s. I've got a BlueRay of Batman Begins I'd be willing to sell/barter/trade for another BlueRay movie.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #135 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:03 am »
Bobby- You have a PM.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #136 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:20 am »
I'm with Phil.  I thought it was also very blatant and in your face, nothing subtle at all.  Not to say it wasn't an enjoyable movie overall.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #137 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:33 am »
Bobby- You have a PM.
Received - Bounced back - Paid.
Oops, I suppose I should have sent you an address to mail the DVD to, shouldn't I?  :roll: :duh:

Duh..

Another PM coming your way Jim.
Sorry for OT guys, carry on please.

Bob

ajzepp

« Reply #138 on: 14 Dec 2008, 12:34 am »
All I know is that this BD looked and sounded AMAZING on my system. I had a friend over to watch, and she was blown away. I had an idea what to expect, and it still caught me off guard with how great it looked. I don't even have high rez audio, and the sound kicked ass.

Bigfish

« Reply #139 on: 26 Dec 2008, 03:38 pm »
My family and I watched Dark Knight again, on my system, yesterday afternoon.  This is one fantastic movie, just as good the second time as it was the first time I saw it.

Ken