"The Dark Knight"

Bigfish

"The Dark Knight"
« on: 18 Jul 2008, 02:09 am »
I don't know about you guys but I plan to try and catch the latest Batman Movie - "The Dark Knight" this weekend.  The USA Today rated the movie at 4 out of 4 stars and the New York Time was reported to have given the movie it highest possible review rating of 5 stars.  The only negative mentioned is that it is 2 and 1/2 hours long (running time).  Anyway, I look forward to reading your comments about the movie.

Ken

Tr3vWh0r3

Re: "The Dark Knight"
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2008, 02:36 am »
If a movie is rated at 5 stars I can't see how 2 and a 1/2 hours can be a bad thing. Can't wait to see this myself..

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:09 am »
I'll catch this on IMAX ... all tickets for this weekend have been sold out  :duh: But i'm not missing this next week!! :icon_twisted:

I can't recall when was the last time any movie received such gushing reviews.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:14 am »
I too will drive 2 hours next week to watch this movie in Imax. This will actually be the first Imax experience for me so I'm stoked. In fact I just made this 2 hr drive today to watch Journey To The Center of The Earth in Disney Real 3D and that was quite an experience in of itself. :o

Cheers,
Robin

klh

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:41 am »
I just bought tickets for one of the Friday night shows. I wanted to go to the midnight show tonight but it was sold out. Same with the 1:30 show. The 3am show had a few tickets left, but that's too late! I can't wait to see it, though. I've seen Batman Begins at least a dozen times. In fact, I think I'll watch it again tonight :D.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:28 am »
"This thing makes Iron Man look like crap." is what I overheard a man leaving the theater saying to his friend on his cell phone. Was he right?  WOW!
You bet he was right. See this movie while the itch is strong.

THE best comicbook/superhero movie I've seen. It is the new standard.  Building on Batman Begins, wich rose nicely above the pack, this movie seriously raises the bar for the genre.  These movies can be done with an eye towards being a great film and this movie proves that IMO.  One of the best movies I've ever seen (when you think about what's being delivered), this one really worked for me.

Five out of five stars for me. And honestly I don't see anyone who willingly sees this movie to give it any less than 4 stars, 4 and a half to 5 stars should be the norm, if not then you need to take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself why am I such a sourpuss.

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:30 am »
Just saw it...it's as good as advertised.  WOW.

Bigfish

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:32 am »
Launche and Arthurs, thank you for the reviews!  I am hoping to be able to get into a showing tomorrow.

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:35 am »
I too will drive 2 hours next week to watch this movie in Imax. This will actually be the first Imax experience for me so I'm stoked. In fact I just made this 2 hr drive today to watch Journey To The Center of The Earth in Disney Real 3D and that was quite an experience in of itself. :o

Cheers,
Robin

Where are you catching it Robin?

George

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:38 am »
The acting and action is astounding.  I fully appreciate the loss of Ledger today....Bale and others are exceptional as well, but Heath is out of this world.

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:39 am »

I thought this was funny... :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:41 am »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:56 am »
Yeah Eberts review nails it.

I was thinking that same about Ledger about half into the movie, this guy could win an Oscar for this role, especially given his untimely death. I had not seen many of his films but for this to be his last role, he will leave a lasting impression on viewers who will remember this character eternally.  Also, if Brokeback Mountain (which I did not see but hear he was good in) was his 2nd to last role, he left too soon and with too great a promise as an actor.  I really feel the lost of a talent today.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:05 am »

Cheers,
Robin

George

http://www.cinemagicmovies.com/showtimes_hooksett_index.html

Hooksett,. NH has a sweet little cinema with an IMAX as the centerstage theater and  surrounded by the other theaters. ($7.50/$9.00 for IMAX&Cinemagic) Very comfortable home theater seats that not only recline but have some rear spring to them. I will be making the trip early next week to see Batman and I'll probably fit another flick in also. No problem walking from 1 theater to another as other than the IMAX and Cinemagic (where there's someone at the entrance to check tickets and hand out the glasses) there's no attendent checking tickets. Burlington, Vt also has a nice stadium type 10 theater with fairly comfortable reclining seats where I always fit a matinee doubleheader for a $6.25 admission. That's a 1.5hr drive for me also. http://www.majestic10.com/index.html

I use to be big on Drive-ins but these sweet theaters have simply spoiled me with the sound stage and comfortable atmosphere. Speaking of Drive-ins, Burlington, Vt has a 4 screen Drive-in that will be showing a dusk to dawn 4 movies tonite!  http://www.sunsetdrivein.com/

Back in the day, that would include a keg of beer and an allnighter pizza fest. :beer: Damn if I don't miss those days of my youth. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:09 am »

I thought this was funny... :lol:

Why is it there's only 1 Batman movie with Robin? :lol:

Zero

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:20 am »
I caught the midnight showing on (technically) Thurs.  Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The hype building around Ledger's job as Joker is well warranted; he rocked that role.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:27 am »
I caught the midnight showing on (technically) Thurs.  Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The hype building around Ledger's job as Joker is well warranted; he rocked that role.

Better than Nicholson's Joker? :o  I dunno,,,, Jack simply rocked I that role and from just watching the teasers, I didn't get the same feel with todays Joker,,,,, but then I haven't watched the movie so that could be a bit premature. :dunno: Guess Jack Nicholson's smile just made him a natural for that role. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:50 am »

what he said.  including seeing it at 1201am friday - not thursday.  (technically) :lol:   w/my son & g/f.   :green:

doug s.

klh

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2008, 06:08 am »
I just got home from seeing it. Exceptional movie. Incredible script. Very good acting. Like Spiderman 2 it delved deeper into character, but it was much more believable. This is one well worth going out of your way to see... and well worth buying after it is released on BD. One thing... it is 2.5 hours long, so be sure you don't go in hungry!

arthurs

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2008, 01:23 pm »

Better than Nicholson's Joker? :o  I dunno,,,, Jack simply rocked that role and from just watching the teasers, I didn't get the same feel with todays Joker

This is a much different take Robin, much darker and savage, but still funny and far more twisted.  Jack rocked, you are correct, but IMO he was towards the kitsch angle of the old TV series.  Ledger reinvents the role in a completely different place than Jack took it.

Hard to compare the two IMO.