NEW level of digital mod for SqueezeBox 3

JoshK

Re: NEW level of digital mod for SqueezeBox 3
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2008, 02:24 pm »
Here is my $.02, fwiw, and all that.

The new reciever box part of the duet is $150, so pretty cheap in the scheme of things for hi-end audio.  Buy one of these and use it dedicated for internet radio, which isn't really hi-rez audiophile quality anyway, and use your modded SB3 w/o the extra crystal for your ripped CD collection. 

You could even put a switch on the external power supply to let it power both units one at a time, so you at least get the benefit of the power supply for both units.  Maybe you can talk Wayne into fitting such a switch into the power supply. 

This is what I've been thinking about doing for myself. 

goskers

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2008, 04:03 pm »
Josh,

This does sound like a good idea.  I would probably just order the whole duet combo as the remote is something that everyone will want but he receiver seems to have some short comings to which the SB3 is bettered.

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2008, 05:26 pm »
Josh,

That does sound halfway reasonable, if you wouldn't mind having yet another box in you system. :wink: You couldn't use that plan in a dedicated SB/ amp system. You would also need a pre-amp or switch at a minumum.

For now, the Receiver is only available as part of the Duet package for $400.00. In time it will be offered separately for $150.00. The Controller is $300.00 by itself. The Receiver HAS to be set up with the Controller. There is work being done so you might be able to eventually use ethernet to set up the receiver.

Mike Galusha brought up an interesting alternative for the Controller. Use an iTouch. The price is about the same as a controller. There is some GREAT software to interface with SqueezeCenter 7.  http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=3 You can also use it for web browsing, etc. You can even take your music with you  :D

mountain1

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2008, 02:27 pm »
I have been using this software (http://penguinlovesmusic.de/?page_id=3 )  to control my SB3 with my iPhone.  Works great and eliminates the need to buy the controller for $299.

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2008, 06:14 pm »

The new reciever box part of the duet is $150, so pretty cheap in the scheme of things for hi-end audio.  Buy one of these and use it dedicated for internet radio, which isn't really hi-rez audiophile quality anyway, and use your modded SB3 w/o the extra crystal for your ripped CD collection. 

You could even put a switch on the external power supply to let it power both units one at a time, so you at least get the benefit of the power supply for both units.  Maybe you can talk Wayne into fitting such a switch into the power supply. 

You would need more than just a switch on an external power supply,  since the Duet receiver runs on 9vdc and the SB3 is 5vdc.

kbuzz3

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2008, 06:25 pm »
I just paid wayne for the new level of digmods.  This is my first SB so i wont be able to comment or compare to the existing mod.  tis a leap of faith

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2008, 06:28 pm »

You would need more than just a switch on an external power supply,  since the Duet receiver runs on 9vdc and the SB3 is 5vdc.

That is what a 4pdt switch is for. 

kyrill

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm »
hi ppl

I hope the SB3 will be a top notch source at least for another 2-3 years
I know and i am great believer that all high end sound rice or fall on the quality of its power source.
in fact i belief that line conditioning/pws mods should be the number 1 mods to begin with. Especially low jitter clocks benefits from a good source.

Pat  did his S/PDIF output mod on the unit as described here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45330.0
and with a Felix before and after the stock
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50284.0
SW PWS it sounded already wonderful after 2 days of continuing playing also with Pats "special" digital inter connect. in fact so wonderful it could be compared with my heavily modded TEAC VRSD transport ( super clock and modded pws) although the transport was a bit more  musical/organic but within 1 day i could not experience that difference anymore, only with A B comparing, but still..

But with Pat's mod and the Felixes I heard so much details like for instance the additions of "reverb" to voices, that i heard more than with the TEAC
I could hear in a way not to be missed, the artificiality of echo in a lot of pop music ( Leonard Cohen for instance) even sometimes to a point that it is way too much, but i had not heard that before. The SB3 in this state let you hear more than the original artists/recording engineer heard when making the CD, so they added more echo to make it sound right

I had some emails with Wayne. I wanted his digital mods anyway ( will never use the analogue's out) and because of these emails the mod came into question to bypass the inner voltage switching devices for the spdif  chip and buffer  and so on. meaning a dedicated out board 3.3V DC supply.

To make it short Wayne succeeded and i got an "try out" analogue Elpac with 2 DC outputs, 5.0V and 3.3V

How does it sound? I cannot tell you
I let it "break in" for 48 hours and when i listened to it i was almost killed.
Literally it sounded soo bad if i had to listen to it for instance in prison for 18 hrs a day and i could not escape that sound, i would be dead in 2 weeks. Aggressive, harsh 2dimensional. I panicked and emailed Wayne
I got a reassuring response:

"Kyrill,

The exaggerated highs is all the new power supply caps needing to break in. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew ;-)

Give it a few weeks for all the BlackGates to break in. It sound worse in about a week. You will wonder why the hell you spent the money to send the SB over here.

Give it time. The harshness will mellow. You will get the "magic" back"

It is now 2 weeks later and the unit is on 24/7 ( from 4-6 weaks break in) and the sound is slowly getting better. It will not kill me anymore, but i need to wait more as well. The black Gates are really awful in needing so much time..

Do i miss something with the internet radio as Pat really urged me to remove the "space occupying" clock for 48 khz?
hm not really l i cannot have senders lower than 128 khz at least until now i have not seen them, which i really consider low fi anyway. still figuring out which freqs are possible or not

I will keep you posted
Kyrill
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 02:55 pm by kyrill »

kyrill

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2008, 10:44 am »
haaa  :green: :green:
the last 3 days positive changes are getting very fast. the sound getting better is not linear .
last 72 hrs it becomes easily perceptible better than the day before. Yesterday evening i listened for 20-30 minutes, switching from song to song. all harshness was gone which was there the day before albeit 100 times less than the first week.
It sounded very clean, velvet like but too ehh soft. the highs had no bite and sparkle when it was needed ( percussion) now a day later all the highs are back incl all the advantages of clean and organic sound. Not really "musical" yet. My definition of musical is that you cannot believe any more in reproduced sound, the amps and source disappear from the  experience of listening
But  I can now listen to the end of the song already in joy. :thumb:

So ehh i anticipate tomorrow and next week. wow if this process of improving continues for the next week, i am in for a feast  :thumb: :thumb:

kyrill

« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2008, 10:28 am »
The sound is getting better but still not there.
Everyday removes a little harshness, something electronic in the sound i assume, as the subtleties of the mod are contaminated by another variable.

I also burn in now a new LS cable and to be honest the sound immediately took a drop. They need at least 100 hrs and 300 hrs to be settled in completely.
I removed my LS link , only found out today Wayne manufactures also LS cables :oops:
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2008, 09:39 am by kyrill »

kbuzz3

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:01 am »
Has anyone noticed any changes re burn in/break in with their bolder SB3 (and or elpac modded ps). Ive got about 75 hours on my new digi modded box but have not noticed too too much change...im hoping the top end mellows a bit

Wayne1

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:22 am »
75 hours is not much. It take AT LEAST 400 hours for the Black Gate caps to start to mellow out. After 600 hours it should be good. Put the unit on repeat for a month and you will be very happy with the sound.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:25 am »
Absolutely.  I know mine took a full 4-500 hours to really settle in.  There was improvement before that but in the first 150 hours or so theres some serious Jekyll and Hyde going on.  Don't know about the smaller power supply but the Ultimate with Nirvana supply that I have took quite a while to settle in too.  I just turned mine on low and let it play for about a week before I even thought about listening seriously.

It's well worth the wait though. 

Bryan

kyrill

« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2008, 07:50 am »
mine ( still breaking in) sounded terrible after even 12 days, really really bad
 i have now 400 hrs on it and it sounds very enjoyable, but not delicate yet

i read only yesterday that a burning in CD works so much faster ..wished i knew this earlier
24 hrs of that cd equals hundreds of hrs or music, if i may believe what i read..

i ordered one today from Genesis the famous speaker manufacturer
email Joanne Venezio   <joanne@genesisloudspeakers.com>
the price is 32 dollar
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2008, 09:49 am by kyrill »

kbuzz3

« Reply #34 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:37 pm »
thanks all...now all i have to do is find my xlo burn in cd...LOL...finding dics is the reason for the SB in the first place

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:48 pm »
In rereading my initial post (March 2006) about receiving the Modded SB3, it took around 5-6 weeks of constant play to settle in.  The Blackgates just seem to take forever, but the light at the end of the break in tunnel is worth the journey!

Good luck,

Wayne1

« Reply #36 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:15 pm »
Go to http://www.hagtech.com/frybaby.html

Jim Hagerman has a free download of his break-in "noise"

It is an MP3 but is just perfect for exercising the caps in a SB and PS.

Just make sure the digital output is connected. You do not have to listen to the noise. Turn the amp off and let this noise repeat for a week or so. You should be able to hear the difference.

I use this noise whenever I want to hurry along the break-in process.

jrebman

« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:18 pm »
I just ran the Isotek break-in disc yesterday for 8 hours on my new Signature 30.2, and while it still has a way to go, there was a slight, but noticeable improvement by the end of the day.  BTW, you can buy the Isotek disc online from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, and if you're a new customer and opt-in to the email newsletter, you can get an additional 2% discount.  No relation whatsoever with TTVJ -- just passing the tip along.

P.S. -- dogs and cats don't appreciate the isotek disc very much, but as you're only supposed to play it at normal listening levels, it really isn't too terribly awful.

-- Jim

jrebman

« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:22 pm »
Wayne,

Sorry to ask this again, but is there any improvement/advantage to doing this mod for analog use?  And the follow-on to that -- can the Ultimate Nirvana have the extra regulator added and the Summit DC cable modified at the player end to make this all as painless as possible?

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. -- Let me know what I owe you for shipping the cartridge.

Wayne1

« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:41 pm »
Jim,

There should be an advantage in the analog output with the external digital power supply.
I hope to be able to mod Marty's (from Australia) SB2 within a week to use an external 3.3 volt regulator.
I should be able to fit the reg in the Ultimate PS and "mod" the Summit cable.

I have not done or compared any of these mods at this time.

Add the postage to the beers you can buy me at RMAF  :beer: