Duet

A

Duet
« on: 2 Feb 2008, 11:42 pm »
      Anybody here with intelligent questions for WAYNE regarding the duet? :wink:

Dave G

Re: Duet
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2008, 11:47 pm »
A,

You first!

Dave

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2008, 12:04 am »
Yes I've got one.  No offense "A", and welcome to the AC forum.....but...Why start a thread with no purpose and no questions, other than wondering if anyone else has a question? :dunno:   It is likely to get little traction if it doesn't pose a question/issue/challenge, or share an experience.  Just my $.02

A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:28 am »
    Alright,alright i'll try to do better this time :oops:But you two have to admit that it's getting pretty silent down here.I thought that maybe someone would drop in with questions about the DUET, but nothing.I'm juste a newby at this and i thought that i could use a little bit of provocation to revive this place.I'm in the process of building a sound system and dont have a transport yet.So my first idea was to have WAYNE do the mods on an SB3 for me but then the DUET just came out a couple weeks ago.Now since i dont need a transport right away i was only wondering if i should wait to see if WAYNE can do any good with this new thing.Since i'm no good with electronics i'm not to shure if my questions will make any sens.So if i put everything in one question than it would be:Can this new thing sound just as good or better than an SB3? Cheer! AL

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:43 am »
OK ill bite, im contemplating a new SB3 either a bolder modded or an empircal pace car.  Id prefer a duet. I wonder if wayne has one yet to review for mod potential.

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2008, 03:47 am »
A - from what I've seen of the specs of the Duet vs the SB3 they have different DAC's, I have no idea if this is relevant to the sound quality in un-modded form or not.  At the same time I have not seen any speculation or opinion from those that are familiar with the two different DAC's.  At the same time, as the Duet is relatively new, it might be premature to expect that Wayne has had the chance to get his hands on one yet and take a look inside.  Or maybe he has an inside track?  The only comments I've seen so far are that the power supply upgrades for the SB3 can be applied to the Duet (they have different input voltages).

I have an analogue modified SB3, and have been blown away by the improvements using an upgraded power supply makes.   

A

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:06 am »
 Thks  ''Philistine'' I agree that it is premature to speculate about the DUET but mayby someone that know about electronics can tell if anything can be done to it just by taking a peak at the inside tracks or spects.What is that upgraded PS? AL.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:10 am »

I have an analogue modified SB3, and have been blown away by the improvements using an upgraded power supply makes.   

Philistine would you rank your modded analogue as superior to any dacs?  Im contemplating the digital mods but if the analog mods are that good and possibly superior to some dacs, then its one less box to deal with....opinions and/or comparisons of the modded analog SB to digi mods to dacs  are welcome

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2008, 04:31 am »

Philistine would you rank your modded analogue as superior to any dacs?  Im contemplating the digital mods but if the analog mods are that good and possibly superior to some dacs, then its one less box to deal with....opinions and/or comparisons of the modded analog SB to digi mods to dacs  are welcome

I haven't compared my analogue SB3 with a separate DAC, so can't really comment.  From other posts on the forum I believe the analogue modded SB3 has good reviews and compares favorably.  You might want to check out the Bolder Circle, here is one example I found:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=48560.0

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2008, 06:41 pm »
The production Receiver ( the part of the Duet you plug into your stereo) has NOT been released. There may be a few pre-production samples roaming about, but I do not have one.

From the pictures I have seen of the pre-production version, all I can say is it will sound different. The power supply used in the Receiver is quite a bit simpler than the SB3. There is no VFD to require HV or produce any EMI or RFI. There are no switching supplies internal to the SB so no noise added to the DC lines or ground.

The DAC chip is different. It takes 3.3 for the digital section but it can take 9 volts direct for the analog portion. It will produce a 2 volt RMS analog output signal direct from the chip. This is quite a bit different from the Burr-Brown chip used in the SB3 which could only produce 1.2 volts RMS. This could mean that the Receiver could have it's output taken from the DAC chip and maintain the same volume level as most CD player. I do not know how the current drive of this chip is. It may still need some help there.

I have not seen anything about the digital output. I believe Sean Adams said they are going to use the same buffer and output section used in the SB3. If that is the case, then the current mods of rewiring the output with 75 ohm coax and replacing the output connector should still be beneficial.

Production of the Receiver and Controller have been held up due to the very bad winter storms in China. As of yesterday, over 1000 ships were stuck in harbor. The Lunar New Year celebration begins mid week and all work will be halted for about two weeks. I do not anticipate seeing any of the Duet products until the end of the month at the earliest. It will take at least a month to look over the circuits, try some mods and let them break-in enough to judge if they are worthwhile.

In the meantime, I have been developing a 9 volt power supply. I am not exactly sure what case it will use, but I hope to have a base version that will retail for about $500.00. There will be upgrades offered. Hugh Dean is just finishing up work on a Nirvana module to be used with the Receiver's power supply. I should get a prototype of that before the Receiver actually ships.

I will order in a couple of them so comparisons will be made between stock and modded. I may have to bug the members of DAM to spend a few afternoons listening to power supplies, again :wink:

I have also been working on a project for the SB3. Hopefully I can get some preliminary shots posted in the next week or so. I think current owners of the SB3 will be excited about the new offering.

tonyptony

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2008, 10:40 pm »
Oh, come on! You can't leave us with just that! You gotta give us a hint...

kbuzz3

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2008, 01:40 am »
yeah  :lol: :lol: :lol: particularly for those of us contemplating a bolder SB set up v. others...

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2008, 01:47 am »
I will be interested to see what Wayne brews up for SB3 owners this time!

I have certainly benefited in the past from his magic soldering wand, and look forward to learning more this time.

Not sure the new Duet will mean anything to me, I am quite happy with my modded SB3, even though it is slightly out of sync with the latest and greatest mods, I am still very happy to have it!

yo2tup

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:37 pm »
I will be interested to see what Wayne brews up for SB3 owners this time!

me too!

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:21 pm »
Duet is now on pre sale at slimdevices for $399.  They are only offering the pair, not individually at this time.

Stating expected delivery of end of this month.

Randy

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:37 pm »
I have ordered a pair of Duets.

The local distributor for Logitech said they expect the Receiver and Controller to be available separately 30-45 days after the inital release of the Duet.

When and if I can come up with any mods for the Receiver, I will mention here on AC firs.

The project I am working on for the SB3 can also be used with the Receiver. I do believe quite a few people will be very happy to see it.  :wink:

yo2tup

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2008, 06:15 am »
quite the tease  :? :)

jrebman

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:36 pm »
Oh no, how much will I have to scrape together for this one? :D :cry:

-- Jim

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
SB3 news???
« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:38 pm »
Wayne,

No more info on the SB3 news yet? I'm sure there are quite a few people eagerly awaiting any info after the teaser.

Paul

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:02 pm »
The project is to start with a new case for the SB3. I also hope to be able to re-case the Receiver.

This will allow me to offer a single box with SB and power supply built into it.

This also leads to the ability to offer more mods to the digital section, such as a separate linear power supply for digital and maybe re-clocking.

Different line stages could be used for the analog output. Direct from DAC chip, Buffer, or maybe even a tube output section  :wink:

Lots of choices open up with more space.

I still hope to be able to post a pre-pre-prototype picture of my tentative re-case in a week or so.

I hope to get closer to a pre-prototype case in about a month. Once the case is semi-settled, I can do some more work on the power supply.

All these options for SB3 should be able to be offered for the Receiver.