Duet

jrebman

Re: Duet
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:49 am »
Wayne,

So, will this be something you can upgrade in stages?  Say starting with the SB3 and PSU (taking the existing ones and putting them in the new case) and then maybe add a buffer later on?

I hate to ask, but any ballpark numbers on this first step -- new case with existing gear mounted in it?

Sounds very cool.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:52 pm »
Jim,

I do plan on being able to take existing modded SB3s and install them in this case. The Ultimate PS should also be able to be used in it. There will be some additional expenses involved with moving the I/O board and mounting the connectors on the back panel. I need to find out the case cost and get a few prototype upgrades done before I can give any idea of the price.

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:28 pm »
...so maybe an SB2, Ultimate/Nirvana PS, Burson Buffer/PS, and a Felix in there?

...and while we're wishing, maybe a transformer digital out to 75 ohm BNC (a la Pat/ART) and a clock input for a PaceCar or some type of slave re-clocker, DC XLR output to power an external SB if necessary?

Perhaps you could get the custom case volume up by offering that to those of us who might do it ourselves too?

I think you have a napkin of mine with this on it somewhere  :thumb:

Tom

Wayne1

« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:58 pm »
Tom,

Sorry, no SB2 case. The current idea is for a case to use only the SB3. Once I get the Duet system, I will work on different case for that.

brj brought up the idea of using an external PS to start out with. That might be a good idea. Then, you could get an internal PS installed and still be able to use the 5 vdc connection as a dc output.

All the options will be available as sort of modules. So you can start out with a modded SB in the case and then send it back to get a PS installed or re-clocker or analog output section.

At least at first, I plan to only offer the re-case as a mod performed here. I don't have any plans to offer it as a kit or part. But plans change. :D

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 13 Feb 2008, 09:42 pm »
If I were to upgrade by transplanting the sb3 and ultimate nirvana to the new case, what would I do with the DC cable I now have?

Seems like a directly soldered, internal connection would be better than all thos connectors, especially those DC connectors -- which I have just never liked.  Maybe take a foot off my Summit cable and use it internally? :D

-- Jim

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:01 pm »
Jim,

My suggestion was to wire internally from the PS to the SB3 AND bring it back out to a rear connector (XLR re-used from the Ultimate case).  That way you could still use the XLR DC out with the Summit cable to another SB if you wanted to.

Tom

jrebman

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:17 pm »
Tom,

Yes, I guess you could do that if you ever wanted to be able to compare two units, but the likelihood of me ever wanting to do that is near nil.  I just prefer to keep things as simple, clean, and direct as possible and with a minum of wire -- even if it is spliced off the main power connection.  But I understand what you're talking about.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:22 pm »
I have started a new thread about the re-case project here

There is even a picture of my first feeble attempt at a faceplate.