ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Modified Transporter - The Wave of the Future!
« Reply #120 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:15 pm »
Phil,
Good points all.  We went there first (old stock rca's) but David knew the score.  Also, I asked him to troubleshoot by trying to redo the network, and by bypassing slimserver via the DAC approach (coax into digital inputs).  No luck.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #121 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:31 pm »
Volume assumption.

It'll depend on the gain structure of the system. Even on the 91dB Xavians, with the Transporter at full boogie, the 30dB Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2 sits at 9 o'clock for stout levels. Meaning if we assume the Transporter volume option is primarily of interest for those running amp direct (where the amp has no volume control), this means in this instance to run the RWA at full tilt which means *major* attenuation on the Transporter.

So it will depend on the amount of attenuation needed which is a function of room size, listening level and distance, amp gain and speaker sensitivity. I'll ask Dan to run the numbers to determine how many dB of attenuation on the Transporter scale are non-critical for resolution and at what point one starts to throw away data  :green:

Dan, while you're downing that second Mescal with the wiggly worm down in Mexico, how about some quick math for us gringos?  :green:

Geardaddy

« Reply #122 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:34 pm »
I am interested in this issue as I am looking at the TP sans pre-amp.... :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #123 on: 23 Feb 2008, 05:10 pm »
Although in hindsight maybe it was unfair to Dan and Modwright to air these troubleshooting issues realtime on his own forum, I can only think that it is a positive feedback loop.  Everyone knows three things: 1)  stuff gets damaged in shipment (aka "Sh$t happens"); 2)  the music server and transport paradigm is relatively new to us, and troubleshooting the whole signal path is healthy to help understand the touch points and possible gremlins; 3)  Dan is a class act, and becoming his customer is a very good thing!   :thumb:

Guys please know my intentions were in NO WAY to ever speak ill in any manner. I never uttered an ill word about Dan or the Transporter in any post, Ted knows how I feel about both Dan and his products. I just needed help and this seemed like the only place I could go to get it. We all now that sh$t happens and possibly whatever we find out to be the issue with mine may help another person in the future. I am truly sorry if it was inappropriate for me to post my problems here.

Philistine

« Reply #124 on: 23 Feb 2008, 06:29 pm »
While I'm on the topic of advice to new users I started a thread last year on wireless routers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43519.0

The conclusion I drew from this was that all posters who had the new generation N routers consistently posted positively, regardless of manufacturer, even though only using wireless G.  Also on the Slimdevices forum Sean Adams is recommending N routers, based on their ability to transmit stronger signals further and more reliably.  At the same time the TP has a better signal capture performance than the SB, in my basement the SB sees an 80% wireless strength and the TP 92%.  The SB still worked fine at the strength, but for locations in which wireless strength is an issue then I would extrapolate that the TP would be a better option.   

rydenfan

« Reply #125 on: 23 Feb 2008, 06:33 pm »
During my trouble yesterday my TP was showing an 86% signal strength so I do not believe this is the issue. It is connecting to my network and playing music no problem, there is just something else going on.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #126 on: 23 Feb 2008, 06:40 pm »
Although in hindsight maybe it was unfair to Dan and Modwright to air these troubleshooting issues realtime on his own forum, I can only think that it is a positive feedback loop.  Everyone knows three things: 1)  stuff gets damaged in shipment (aka "Sh$t happens"); 2)  the music server and transport paradigm is relatively new to us, and troubleshooting the whole signal path is healthy to help understand the touch points and possible gremlins; 3)  Dan is a class act, and becoming his customer is a very good thing!   :thumb:

Guys please know my intentions were in NO WAY to ever speak ill in any manner. I never uttered an ill word about Dan or the Transporter in any post, Ted knows how I feel about both Dan and his products. I just needed help and this seemed like the only place I could go to get it. We all now that sh$t happens and possibly whatever we find out to be the issue with mine may help another person in the future. I am truly sorry if it was inappropriate for me to post my problems here.

DK,
My post was not about your intentions.  You did good.  I realized afterward that we were airing some laundry about a new Modwright product issue (I kinda got it started rather than PM'ing you), but after thinking about it, realized it had a lot of good things about it, not the least of which is to reinforce Dan's customer service.

tomjtx

« Reply #127 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:59 pm »
Volume assumption.

It'll depend on the gain structure of the system. Even on the 91dB Xavians, with the Transporter at full boogie, the 30dB Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2 sits at 9 o'clock for stout levels. Meaning if we assume the Transporter volume option is primarily of interest for those running amp direct (where the amp has no volume control), this means in this instance to run the RWA at full tilt which means *major* attenuation on the Transporter.

So it will depend on the amount of attenuation needed which is a function of room size, listening level and distance, amp gain and speaker sensitivity. I'll ask Dan to run the numbers to determine how many dB of attenuation on the Transporter scale are non-critical for resolution and at what point one starts to throw away data  :green:

Dan, while you're downing that second Mescal with the wiggly worm down in Mexico, how about some quick math for us gringos?  :green:

I think you can find the answer on the Slim forum.

I think , because Transporter works with 24 bits you can att. -36db before losing resolution but you should check on that because I have a terrible memory for numbers:-)

I use TP straight to amp and it sounds great.

mr_bill

« Reply #128 on: 23 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm »
Volume assumption.

I think you can find the answer on the Slim forum.

I think , because Transporter works with 24 bits you can att. -36db before losing resolution but you should check on that because I have a terrible memory for numbers:-)

I use TP straight to amp and it sounds great.

Tom,
What CD player were you using (with preamp) before you switched to the Transporter direct to amp combo.  I know you have a high end system and am curious.
Thanks,
Bill

rydenfan

« Reply #129 on: 23 Feb 2008, 11:04 pm »
DK,
My post was not about your intentions.  You did good.  I realized afterward that we were airing some laundry about a new Modwright product issue (I kinda got it started rather than PM'ing you), but after thinking about it, realized it had a lot of good things about it, not the least of which is to reinforce Dan's customer service.

Ted,believe me I know your post was not about that. I just wanted everybody to know my feelings and not have any misconceptions about how I feel. It is easy for people to assume a person is upset with a product and also the company that produced the product when an issue arises. I just wanted to ensure nobody have that misconception about where I stand.  :thumb:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Re: ModWright Modified Transporter - Music Vault Update
« Reply #130 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:00 am »
As it turns out, my initial success was a fluke. I never accessed the Music Vault directly but via my DLink router (showing up as 'SlimServer' rather than 'MusicVault' on the Transporter). I knew I had a problem when CDs I'd just ripped didn't show up. I then called Neal and he correctly diagnosed that the Vault wasn't yet part of my WorkGroup (I'd not gotten those instructions initially).

When I reconfigured my PC accordingly, the Transporter recognized the Music Vault but it still cannot be accessed through 'My Network Places' on my computer. I don't have authorization. (btw, to even get to that place required disabling my FireWall).

This morning the Transporter won't assign an IP address to the Vault and can't communicate with it.

Neal is stumped and consulting with his partner who seems to be more of a computer expert. The reason I'm posting this is simply this:

The Transporter and Vault are network devices and have to interface with your hard-wired or wireless network to operate as intended. You *could* encounter issues during the initial setup. If so, you might need tech support. Whether Neal is qualified to provide it remains to be seen. To get my network set up and running on my PC and two laptops, I had to pay a local computer expert from the UK whom it took a good hour and plenty of curses until everything was configured properly. I personally could not have done it. Audiophiles who are computer savvy might be fine but those who aren't *could* run into issues they cannot solve themselves. If they just pertain to the Transporter, you've got Slim Devices to turn to for Tech Support.

Where it concerns the Vault, it'll be Sound Science. On that front, I'm not sure yet whether Neal is qualified enough (I doubt it) to handle all scenarios. If so, Sound Science needs to establish some kind of optional Tech Support line (i.e. get a true computer expert involved).

Alert 2: If the Vault, through FreeDB, doesn't recognize a CD, it won't rip it. However, it won't spit it back out to let you know it as a reject. It'll keep it indefinitely until you finally figure out it couldn't be a slow read and eject it manually.  My reject rate right now is 50%. Granted, these aren't mainstream CDs but I don't listen to mainstream CDs.

My Olive Symphony rips anything even without tags. The rationale for why the Vault doesn't is "to keep it simple".

That assumes you don't have a keyboard and monitor. But you have.

1/ You cannot set up the Vault without your PC in the first place (that work group configuration).
2/ You cannot back up the Vault without your PC.

Clearly, to operate the Vault requires the use of your PC - initially for setup, then as ongoing maintenance to back up your growing archives. This being the case, the Vault has a keyboard and mouse and monitor available which means, it should rip anything regardless of tags and let you add those not automatically added by hand. On that front, I think it's a design flaw of the Vault to refuse ripping unrecognized CDs.

Once this chapter is concluded (getting the Vault to properly interface or not), I'll amend that page of the review. Until then, I wanted to notify prospective buyers that at least in my case, it's not all roses and bloom after all but plenty of thorns  :duh:

kbuzz3

« Reply #131 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:53 pm »
Srajan thanks so much for the update....tis as i feared.  Was hoping the vault might be true plug n play now who knows....

You also correctly point out that most of us audiophiles do not listen to mainstream cds .....
Add that to alot of us have cdrs of homade music or live shows- given your post it might be tough to rip those as well.

My guess, you might have to rip those via a pc or laptop , tag and drag n drop to the vault on your network. A tedious process to say the least.

let me take the time to thank you again for being out on the cutting edge and light years away from the print mags

rydenfan

« Reply #132 on: 26 Feb 2008, 04:34 pm »
I am very very happy with the burning process I have going with my Mac now. It took me a little bit to add the right components (just like everything else  :wink:), but I feel like I have an efficient and accurate system now.

Srajan, when are we going to get to read what you think of how the Transporter sounds? And what similarities and differences you find from whatever traditional players you have in your setup?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:35 pm »
I've already been using the Transporter as a DAC fed from my Polish Ancient Audio spinner. Without tipping my hand, let's just say the Transporter is far from being embarrassed...

But to really do the hard-drive to Transporter functionality tale which relies on streamed music, I need to get the Vault to unlock again as it were. Should the necessary trouble shooting required exceed what can be done remotely via phone or e-mail... well, I then may draft my Olive Symphony into service and see whether I can get it to interface with the Transporter. After all, ripping to the Olive works with everything, including home-made CDRs and fringe stuff.

The Xavian XN360s got here before the Transporter so they're in line first now that the Zu Presence is wrapped, then it's the Transporter's turn  :green:

rydenfan

« Reply #134 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:06 pm »

But to really do the hard-drive to Transporter functionality tale which relies on streamed music, I need to get the Vault to unlock again as it were. Should the necessary trouble shooting required exceed what can be done remotely via phone or e-mail... well, I then may draft my Olive Symphony into service and see whether I can get it to interface with the Transporter. After all, ripping to the Olive works with everything, including home-made CDRs and fringe stuff.

Srajan, if you don't mind I would like to offer a different point of view. I believe the music vault is not a system many people will gravitate towards. As you are finding out it still has many shortcomings, and is very expensive for what it is. My belief is that people who are not tech savvy will simply buy an external hard drive and rip albums from their home computer. People who are more proficient will end up with a small NAS server with RAID backup, the two most popular are the Thecus 5200 and the Infrant ReadyNAS. I can provide you more information about these if you like.
I understand the music vault offers a possible easy solution for people, but the reality is the people who spend enough time on the web to even know about the system, are probably savvy enough and going in a different direction. I guess I am just leery of that product taking away from the idea of the Transporter. I am in no way trying to offend the music vault product, but I feel the need to be honest about this. There are a multitude of options out there that are functioning perfectly every day.

Philistine

« Reply #135 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:07 pm »
Srajan, if time and/or technology allows you should try some of the hirez 96k files from the likes of Linn and Music Giants.  There are also other sites with the same track presented in both 44.1k and 96k for comparison purposes.  With the shift away from DRM, and the increasing availability of hirez downloads, I see the Transporter as a future proof device that will enable us to access enjoy great sound as the technology starts to get a foothold in the market.   

Danny Kaey

« Reply #136 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:39 pm »
let's not turn this into a mac vs. pc thing, BUT, I have to say that my newly acquired Airport Extreme works leaps and bounds better than my previous Netgear router - in a mixed mac & pc environment.

I am savvy enough to where I don't need to call tech support, alas, I KNOW how it can feel when frustration kicks in high gear trying to get issues resolved.

Danny Kaey

« Reply #137 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:40 pm »
with the exception that it won't play the new RR 24/176.2 files... to my knowledge at least...

Srajan, if time and/or technology allows you should try some of the hirez 96k files from the likes of Linn and Music Giants.  There are also other sites with the same track presented in both 44.1k and 96k for comparison purposes.  With the shift away from DRM, and the increasing availability of hirez downloads, I see the Transporter as a future proof device that will enable us to access enjoy great sound as the technology starts to get a foothold in the market.   

mr_bill

« Reply #138 on: 28 Feb 2008, 03:56 am »
I've already been using the Transporter as a DAC fed from my Polish Ancient Audio spinner. Without tipping my hand, let's just say the Transporter is far from being embarrassed...

The Xavian XN360s got here before the Transporter so they're in line first now that the Zu Presence is wrapped, then it's the Transporter's turn  :green:

Srajaen,
What we all REALLY want to know is how the Modwright Transporter compares to the stock Transporter.  Will you be able to satisfy our curiosity?
Thanks,
Bill

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 28 Feb 2008, 04:26 pm »
What stock Transporter? I ain't driving no stock.  :duh:

Sorry to tell you but that's not my assignment. My assignment is to compare the modified Transporter to 'normal' disc spinners. I didn't get nor did I ask for a stock Transporter.