Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: New Line Array
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2007, 05:09 pm »
Rick,

How is the 3" driver array going?

It will be awhile before I can finish the design with the current backlog of orders that we have - looks like early 2008 at this point.

Ryan45872

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2008, 10:07 pm »
Hi Rick,

Any news on this new line array project?  What finish are they going to be?  :D

Thanks

Ryan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2008, 03:30 am »
Hi Rick,

Any news on this new line array project?  What finish are they going to be?  :D

Thanks

Ryan

Let me know what finish you would like to see because we are building the cabinets starting next week.  :D

Ryan45872

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:09 am »
  MACASSAR EBONY!  :drool:

Ryan

wyomoose

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:05 am »
Ok I may high jack this thread but what are the avantages of a line array? and what would a mini array get you vs something like a very nice 2 way? Does a line array just fill the room more?

FredT300B

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:16 pm »
Ok I may high jack this thread but what are the avantages of a line array? and what would a mini array get you vs something like a very nice 2 way? Does a line array just fill the room more?

Page two of Dr Jim Griffin's white paper on nearfiled line arrays summarizes of the advantages of line arrays:
http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/pdf/nflawp.pdf

justinc2

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:45 pm »
maple burl  :D

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2008, 01:54 pm »

COCOBOLO 801

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2008, 03:56 pm »
maple burl  :D

Burls are really nice but usually confined to small sheets of veneer that aren't long enough for an array cabinet.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:50 pm »
  MACASSAR EBONY!  :drool:

Ryan

You have good taste but have you seen how much that veneer is a square foot?  :lol:

Cacophonix

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2008, 05:59 pm »
If raw veneer is okay, then they are available at reasonable prices online ...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2008, 06:16 pm »
If raw veneer is okay, then they are available at reasonable prices online ...

One advantage with buying from us is that we don't add huge upcharges for exotic or premium veneers like some other companies do. We are now also offering a true piano black finish and this is the same method for manufacturing grand pianos. It's an 8-step polyester process also used for high-end electric guitars and yacht woodwork.

justinc2

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:36 am »
I remember when I built my DayTek's it was difficult to find large sheets for a reasonable price.  I ended up finding about 24 consecutive sheets that were 28x20" of maple burl for around $300.  I still love the results, but I bet a professional cabinet maker could really do something great with it! 

I have seen some pretty large sheets of walnut burl which would make a killer set!  I think thats what my next line array project will be.  I would love to see a set done in walnut burl as well.

Ryan45872

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:56 am »
I remember when I built my DayTek's it was difficult to find large sheets for a reasonable price.  I ended up finding about 24 consecutive sheets that were 28x20" of maple burl for around $300.  I still love the results, but I bet a professional cabinet maker could really do something great with it! 

I have seen some pretty large sheets of walnut burl which would make a killer set!  I think thats what my next line array project will be.  I would love to see a set done in walnut burl as well.

I LOVE WALNUT BURL ALSO! :thumb:

Ryan

Aaron D

« Reply #15 on: 5 Mar 2008, 04:42 am »
Rick,
If I recall this is supposed to be a budget minded array correct? I remember when you first proposed this that you had not yet settled on a tweeter selection. Care to share what direction you are going w/ the tweeter? If this is a more budget endeavor I might suggest considering a budget minded finish. The exotic veneers are cool but when I see posts stating $300 for veneer to finish an array I start to wonder what else could be done. I'm typically not one to make suggestions like w/o having at least one specific idea but honesly I don't have any ideas that come to mind immediately, sorry... :cry:

If you want to try something different, have you considered using a metallic veneer? I think something like that combined w/ an exotic veneer would give people something to talk about. I know this idea runs counter to what I posted above but you asked...

I can give you a couple of quick places to look for veneers that I though looked promising when I researched it quite a while back. I can also send you some cool samples from two different places if you want to seriously consider it.

Thanks for listening.

Later,
Aaron D

RDH

« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2008, 11:36 am »
Is there a link to where this was first proposed? What 3" are you talking about? Sure would like to know a little more about this array? Piano black sounds good to me!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #17 on: 5 Mar 2008, 06:34 pm »

The main advantages are lower distortion, greater output, higher sensitivity, increased dynamics, and a very realistic soundstage. They also interface better with the room so that the room peaks/dips in the bass are much less problematic. There's absolutely no need for "bass management" unless you have lines of drivers that are poorly matched in output and a passive crossover that introduces additional low frequency problems.

There's really no such thing as a mini-array because you end up with a design that functions more like a point source and doesn't exhibit the virtues of an array. For typical listening rooms I've found that driver lines 48"-60" long work very well.

wyomoose

« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2008, 04:39 am »
   Thanks Fred and Rick for the array information.

Rick I agree with the idea of the finish being nice but maybe not a Ferrari finish. Only because it seems like the goal is to have a high quality speaker that is less expensive. If the piano finish isn't to spendy that would be my vote.
     Also how tall is this project going to be? About how wide would the finished speaker be?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2008, 03:26 pm »
Rick,
If I recall this is supposed to be a budget minded array correct? I remember when you first proposed this that you had not yet settled on a tweeter selection. Care to share what direction you are going w/ the tweeter? If this is a more budget endeavor I might suggest considering a budget minded finish. The exotic veneers are cool but when I see posts stating $300 for veneer to finish an array I start to wonder what else could be done. I'm typically not one to make suggestions like w/o having at least one specific idea but honesly I don't have any ideas that come to mind immediately, sorry... :cry:

If you want to try something different, have you considered using a metallic veneer? I think something like that combined w/ an exotic veneer would give people something to talk about. I know this idea runs counter to what I posted above but you asked...

I can give you a couple of quick places to look for veneers that I though looked promising when I researched it quite a while back. I can also send you some cool samples from two different places if you want to seriously consider it.

Thanks for listening.

Later,
Aaron D

Thanks for your ideas. I have access to about anything I want so the possibilities are endless. This particular design is with the Fountek ribbons but the Dayton planars could also be used for someone on a tight budget. The Dayton tweeters don't cross as low so that dictates a single line of 3-5" woofers. I'm working right now on a custom design with the RS150 5" woofers and the Dayton planar.